Guys... is John Petrucci /ourguy/?

Guys... is John Petrucci /ourguy/?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SGRgAULYgWE
youtube.com/watch?v=yVrJlPiyX_s
youtu.be/XvUzTheN-J0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hit_(...And_21_Other_Pretty_Cool_Songs)
youtube.com/watch?v=edqH0ofRQrM
blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-guitarist-likes-donald-trump-as-president-says-great-things-are-in-store-for-america/
youtube.com/watch?v=EytgcCl67BE
youtube.com/watch?v=ZhSrm4kXFi0&index=8&list=PLCeNUWV09SueyM_QdCcGiQYVZSGTwGIlf
youtube.com/watch?v=o4WAc6mUNT0
youtube.com/watch?v=wDjNg3AokEs
youtube.com/watch?v=ZPIFITEfA-k
youtube.com/watch?v=A3m_SQFd3xg&list=PLX53O3XYMdt3rhS5qlADc6EYqFsjLYT_z&index=3
youtube.com/watch?v=JD8S7IMh0dI
youtube.com/watch?v=YBbH6EsNBAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=6sfZGw-6cQE
youtube.com/watch?v=gsjYVpBHPnU
youtube.com/watch?v=m7j8RgY-5kk
youtube.com/watch?v=g-XFbHwwNNM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

soooo much for "progressive" metal, shitlord

>unlistens every album

What is best Dream Theater album and why is it Images and Words?

Technically it still is since the left are the regressive ones now

I would have guessed everyone from Snore Theater would be a liberal kike given where 90% of the. And members are from.

wtf I love dream theater now

Berklee =/= Berkeley

I agree, Brazil.

>biggest album named "Images and Words"

M E M E S

youtube.com/watch?v=SGRgAULYgWE

Metropolis Part II

Metal music in general has always been more of a white guy/right wing thing.

inb4 Botswana cowboy niggers

This guy sucks at guitar but real fast

fuck this brings joy to my heart

John Petrucci is quite actually the best guitarist and shredder to ever live, and he plays in the best band to ever have made music

Pic related is a highly underrated album worth a listen

Dream Theater is a long time favorite.
Great album, James LaBrie is a little sketchy sometimes in his upper range though

this

day of the rake will be delayed by 1 week

Because it's the only one that has Pull Me Under on it

More notes per second = more emotion per second, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=yVrJlPiyX_s

Love how this song goes full circle, just like night and day.

Huh so that's why he was screaming praise kek into the mic last time I saw them live
I thought it was weird

youtu.be/XvUzTheN-J0
Probably the most underrated song on the album

Okay, billy joe armstrong

>Because it's the only one that has Pull Me Under on it
Don't forget about their 'best of' album, the one they named "Greatest Hit"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hit_(...And_21_Other_Pretty_Cool_Songs)

Did not know this, user. Thanks.

When are leftists going to start referring to themselves as "progs" or "proggies".

Here some Petrucci with some old, bald guy playing a stick.

shadilay

Kek. That is pretty funny

This album is underrated. I need to relisten to it and see if its secretly a heavy redpill dose

>worth a listen
More like a million. Awake is a masterpiece

>TFW you don't have to keep up the lie that you have been telling people about how much you listen to Dream Theatre because they committed a thought crime and when confronted you can just tell the truth now

Six degrees of inner turbulence.

Here, I mean.
youtube.com/watch?v=edqH0ofRQrM

Sacrificed Sons is about 9/11 and radical terrorism in general, ironically one of their most redpilled song has been written by a fucking leaf
Plus the whole album is about numbers so it's infused with meme magic

Please dont tell me that right wingers are as autists as prog metal fans.

>tfw someone starts a band called The Smoky Proggs

They are all good except the last two. They have been overdone i think, despite having good parts, they just seem over produced and overly long.

LTE>>>>>>DT

Dream Theater's only decent albums are When DAy and Dream Unite, I&W and Awake, everything else is literally drivel

Shadilay

>the best guitarist and shredder to ever live, and he plays in the best band to ever have made music

I agree. It's also James LaBrie's best performance.

I ca't believe you guys are actually having a discussion about the objectively worst genre in music.

That's so problematic isn't it?

This. Regressive or static metal is far superior.

nah ya just have literally no taste, 99% of prog metal is shite

Shut the fuck up Sup Forumstant scum. There's nothing more annoying than a pretentious Sup Forumstant.

>More notes per second = more emotion per second, user.

Amazing, I'm using this from now on to antagonize MUH FEELING faggots.

trump dicksuckers are much worse

>8 years

>implying I'm pro-Hillary
lad they're both zionists, that's my problem

>you will never be as badass as the peruvian in this thread

Best thing to happen to the band since Portnoy left.

Hitler was a Zionist.

In my experience as a guitarist, only people who suck at playing guitar complain about fast playing/shredding, that playing fast doesn't have any emotion. It's just a weak response from people who suck, but want to validate their lack of talent and hard work vs someone like petrucci

Ever since they canned Portnoy, Dream Theater has gone to shit. It's like they lost their soul. Having said that Petrucci is still an amazing guitarist.

There are shredders who make genuinely shit music like Rusty Cooley, who is arguably one of the best shredders technically. Most musicians view shredding as masturbation. It takes a real talent to shred musically.

yeah man, you have to have both the creativity to play expressively while also having the ability to play it consistently.

Petrucci can basically do anything, but its almost always too perfect. The more metal they try to be the more phony it seems.

I dig all the albums to some extent. Even stinkers like The Astonishing and the self titled have a song or two I like. Six Degrees, Images and Words, Train of Thought, etc. are all 10/10 jizzgargle amazing

there are people on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW who think Dream Theater is a good band

and in fairness John's guitar books and instruction videos are very well done and thought through

Still is right, he shines the brightest when he's playing stuff like LTE, DT nosedived very soon

Yeah, it almost seems inhuman. As great as he is, I prefer guys like Gary Moore myself, who shred in short bursts with raw emotion. I mean, when you spend thousands of hours playing to a metronome you're going to have a manufactured sound.

kektopolis: part 2. Scenes from a memery

This.

Dream Theater is the fedora of prog metal (yes, even more that Tool) in a genre that is already fedora by itself
Still I'm glad he supports drumpf

blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-guitarist-likes-donald-trump-as-president-says-great-things-are-in-store-for-america/

>spend 7 minutes talking about music and defending the latest album
>make a very lukewarm feel good statement about the US
>website titles "PETRUCCI LOVES TRUMP"
what the hell

I assume John Schaeffer is cool too.
With his side project, Sons of Liberty. I would think.

that's a big problem with these news sites. they need content so they'll mine for anything. for all we know John would agree with whoever won.

Clickbait

Prog metal is a gay but he's still our guy

This is officially the /prog/ against progressives thread.

youtube.com/watch?v=EytgcCl67BE

Leaf of truth

You're just jealous because you can't comprehend complex time signatures and counterpoint like they can. They have deep philosophical lyrics and could be compared to classical music in terms of scope. I've seen them 8 times and have a tattoo and they were all super nice to me and signed my ticket. I can play most of their stuff, but I'm only like a 9/10 guitarist at best compared to John the 10/10 goat.

Can't tell if you are just joking or going full autist

Petrucci plays at Bogdonoff speed.

Awake is my first and probably my favorite album by them. Then again, it is one of the few good full albums they have. I always saw Dream Theater as a live band; they always play a medley of their best stuff. They suck now that Portony left.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZhSrm4kXFi0&index=8&list=PLCeNUWV09SueyM_QdCcGiQYVZSGTwGIlf

I hope they make a seven part concept album about it and it only appeals to jackoff nerds, like the rest of their shit, accordingly.

Transiton (phases I-III) communication/powers
Gravitational Forces: Life Flow (Nickelback of metal begins here)
So on for way too long...

youtube.com/watch?v=o4WAc6mUNT0 47:26 dat solo

The Rothschilds bow to him

I guess it's more of an outro/bridge but still

>make one of the best death metal albums of all time
>remake the same album 4 times
>copy celtic frost, hellhammer, motorhead, and venom for the rest of their career
>a band

Could I get a quick rundown on that?

>
Those balls are too high, they will not hit the centre of the surface of the ball.

Okay you fucking nerds. If you haven't listened to Angra, you fucked up. A lot.

youtube.com/watch?v=wDjNg3AokEs

youtube.com/watch?v=ZPIFITEfA-k

If you're still listening to Dream Theater and Symphony X wondering where you could go next, check Angra out.

>tfw identify as progressive bc of bull moose and teddy
>they have stolen my word, the p word!

>What's more important: learning to play a lot of notes fast or learning how to get the most out of a few notes?

>You need both abilities: to be able to sing a melody and play with space, and also to have the requisite technique to play the most intricate music. That makes you more complete, and able to play a wider variety of music. It's a bunch of bullshit every time guitarists say, "One note says so much more than 100." I always laugh at idiots who make that claim. Tell that to a flamenco player or a classical player and see what they say. It's almost a defensive reaction. They take something they lack, attack it and claim they never wanted it in the first place. Sure!

From Al Di Meola.

Yes, awake is awesome. Almost as good as images. Never get tired of erotomania leading into voices. And John myungs moment in the spitlight with lifting shadows. And Kevin moores poignant space dye vest still gives me shivers. 9.5/10

>Install Gentoo

Mike Mangini > Kike Portnoy

I'm sure I could find an actual YouTube comment worse than that

Are you Guy Mann-Dude? If not, what happened to him? Anyone know?

That's not how you spell octavarium

Cool to see someone mention the great Di Meola on here. This is for you

youtube.com/watch?v=A3m_SQFd3xg&list=PLX53O3XYMdt3rhS5qlADc6EYqFsjLYT_z&index=3

See enough of him on fox news intermissions

Actually any Dream Theater and Prog Metal fans who haven't checked out Frank Zappa owe it to themselves to do that too. I'm drunk so I don't give a fuck, Frank Zappa is THE rock icon, and his live band and performances make Dream Theater look like a school play. His bands would famously rehearse 12 hours at a time, and are, frankly, obnoxiously talented.

youtube.com/watch?v=JD8S7IMh0dI

youtube.com/watch?v=YBbH6EsNBAQ

youtube.com/watch?v=6sfZGw-6cQE

Met him once when he did a signing session in a local music shop few hours before the gig, great guy.

Did you ever see the one of him as a young man when he plays the bicycle on the Steve Allan show?

if only their singer didn't sound like some 80's power metal reject, honestly the only reason I don't listen to dream theatre and it's a shame because the instrumentation is among the GOATS

I certainly did. Frankly Zappa is just in another fucking league compared to most other musicians/composers. It's not fair to compare him to anything, but resisting is such hard work also considering he influenced so fucking much.

Di Meola is very cool. However, I see you, and raise Allan "IKEA guitar wizard" Holdsworth.

youtube.com/watch?v=gsjYVpBHPnU

I do not understand why the majority metal heads are leftist garbage. The only ones that actually aren't are black metal fans, and I can't even into black metal besides burzum.

That little picture of balding insane era devon townsend

My friend told me Labrie sounded like Robbie Williams, and I cannot fucking unhear it now. Earlier albums before he blew his voice out aren't so bad, but anything past 95 and it's very noticeable.

This, guys like Rusty Cooley, Michael angelo baito and so on just regurgitate scales VERY fast, and it sounds fucking cool and all but how about you write something compelling that I'll actually remember 5 minutes after hearing it.

Best guitar playing I ever heard was the old guy who looked stoned out of his brain playing a lap steel guitar on stage with the band "red rider" at a fair. Technical knowhow IS important, it's very important, but it's not exactly pleasing to the human ear.

Gary Moore is fucking awesome desu

Yeah man I'm only 30 but my dad used to be a roadie for Zebra and always had tons of albums that he would make me listen to as a kid. Zappa was one of my favorites. When it comes to not just guitar, but to composition in general Zappa is one of the greatest composers since Ravel.

Also, VERY NICE with the Holdsworth man. Dude is a god. I'm a drummer too, and Tony Williams is one of THE best.

These two guys are pretty good, not as good as the above, but still.

youtube.com/watch?v=m7j8RgY-5kk

youtube.com/watch?v=g-XFbHwwNNM

Both Japs by the way. Cheers man.

Yngwie Malmsteen is the goat

bumping for senpai petrucci