Why don't Japanese drivers buy US cars?

Today, Trump has a meeting with Japanese PM Abe. They will discuss it.

BBC's movie explains the reason well.
bbc.com/news/business-38894819

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZjLfvgWFr7U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't think we even make them with right wheel.

>Import tax?
No, tax is zero for American cars in Japan.

>Nationalism?
On, Germany cars are sold well in Japan.
And many American companies have succeeded in Japan, except automobile companies.

Japan has taxes and insurance based on displacement. Most American cars cost too much over there.

You retards drive on the wrong side of the road so all your steering wheels are on the wrong side.

>needs to be small cars
There are many narrow streets in Japan.

>needs to be fuel-efficient cars
Japan is not an oil country. So the price of gasoline is higher than America.

>high-speed rail network
car is for short distance moving, train is for middle or long distance moving, air plane is for long distance moving in Japan.

This is the reason that Japanese drives on the left-side.
It has been since Samurai era.

well, maybe cause US cars are shit compared to other cars?

Wby do it?
Toyota has better luxury suvs than any american company, and i doubt you need pickup trucks in japan (nissan makes better pickup trucks also)

Many people want a small car in Japan

Maybe 20 years ago, not anymore.

Casual reminder that our car companies are frankensteins who should not be kept alive. The american auto industry will only improve with new companies and competitors.

Are you dumb?

American cars are, for the most part, shit

Because american cars went total shit after the oil crisis while european cars got a lot bigger and better equipped. At this point there are no real murican full size cars left, they produce the same tiny shitty sardine boxes with unibody chassis.

US car manufacturing went down the loo with the end of the Lincoln town car.

>no touch rule

You obviously haven't bought a car in the last 20 years then.. They're all cheap steel sheeting and faulty plastic parts. The design improves, but the material used continues to get worse.

I love the 2nd Gen Rams, still have ours from 1994

US cars don't have any good design.

US car companies care more about diversity quotas and virtue signalling for lefty causes than making quality cars.

The design alone makes american cars undesirable for anyone that isnt american.

Then you also put a v8 into fucking everything.
So the gas consumption is straight up shit in city traffic and 90% of the power will never be used.

Maybe start making competitive cars on the global market instead of screaming like infants about the market actually being competitive.

Kek, enjoy your station wagon sven cuck

>v8 into fucking everything.

Actually all muslce cars/sedans and trucks have V6 models. Not to mention all the big 3 all have smaller cars with 4 bangers as well.

American automobiles are trash though, I only see people with European and Japanese cars in the UK too, who the fuck buys American cars?

Japanese likes HV of Toyota and Honda

>Japan has taxes and insurance based on displacement.

Same is true about most of Europe.

Cars have to be made specifically to match a market.
American car companies just don't seem interested in making cars suitable for Europe or Japan.....except Tesla.

All this mostly.

There are a few fans or rich people who drive corvettes, etc, but mostly your cars are too big and too gas guzzling to fit in our major cities.

Union made dogshit.

Why don't the burgers export more SUVs and pickups to Europe? We don't have any proper pickup trucks here except the Defender 130 (not in production anymore) and the VW Amarok.

As far as full size SUVs like Tahoe and Suburban, the only similar cars here is the Range Rover, and that car starts at 100k euros.

I see business opportunities here!

>tax is zero for American cars in Japan.
Does Japan have import taxes on European cars?

Ditto. Would love to buy a second gen ram in excellent condition and put a low mileage Cummins in it.

We had several growing up, definitely the best looking dodge trucks imo

Imports = expensive

Lincoln pulled out of Japan for a reason

That thing is pretty ugly for a sports car.

American cars aren't as reliable as a Toyota are as good looking as a European car. Simple.

They are far too big, they work well on american roads but they would never work on narrow japanese roads

Aren't as good looking*

I think they are.

Such a shame they are very hard to import here, and you need a trucker's license to drive a Suburban or Yukon XL.

Japan does not have import tax on any counties cars.
But EU has it to Japanese cars. Therefore Japanese company made car factories in Europe.

Because they BREAK and consume too much fuel

Eh, I'm not a fan of most American designs.

We should switch places, I'm not a fan of the European designs (except Land Rover).

American cars have a certain sturdiness to them.

>Trucker's licence to drive a Suburban
Wut

Funny, I think the same thing about the curvy, fruity sports cars from europe.
Gee, it is almost like America and Europe are different or something.

Not a full trucker license, but a "small trucker" license (we have 16 different types of driving licenses). This is because it is very large and can carry up to 8 persons.

Here's a good video:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZjLfvgWFr7U

At around 1:30 you see a Suburban, and then two Land Rover Discovery's. Notice how the Suburban completely dwarfs the Land Rovers? Now these Land Rovers are one of the largest cars you'll see on Dutch roads.

>16 licences
I took two shitty tests and now I can ride a motorcycle and drive everything up to excluding full size semi trucks and full size busses.
Also Suburbans are total chick/Mexican cars here.

I believe the size thing is probably the biggest reason you don't see American imports often. We like big vehicles.

Because japanese cars are better?

Yeah me too. It is much easier to oversee traffic and keep track of what's going on around you when you're in a large vehicle.

I second this
>affordable
>30/40+mpg (this is from cars from the 1990s for fucks sake)

Only thing america got right was the geo metro. And they abandoned it because it was too efficient.

Because japanese cant reach the pedal

They also tend to be safer, though perhaps a tad bit of a hazard for smaller vehicles they might wreck into, or vise versa. I've seen some SUVs absolutely destroy small cars in a collision, with the SUV coming out of it with some dents and scratches.

Sometimes it's like the government here is actively trying to discourage people from buying a car and driving it. Taxes are very high on cars, and in my city diesel cars from before 2001 and petrol cars from before 1999 are banned. They are working on expanding this to include more Dutch cities.

In a few years we will have no choice other than a Tesla or a shitty Prius, or taking the bike of course.

American cars are generally shit except pickup trucks and even then only chevy

>They also tend to be safer

Fairly sure that's a myth.

Car safety depends mostly on design, not size.
Especially since a car that crumbles in a crash (in a controlled way) can be much safer than a car that retains its shape.

American Engineering is shit.

Sometimes i wonder how those Cars are able to drive.

Gas truck
>Not a diesel

Our government actually encourages buying newer cars.

For companies it's usually cheapest to buy a brand new car every 5 years.
And for private use you can then buy those 5 year old cars and drive them another 5 to 10.

1 getting our cars to their market

2 our cars are often too big for their roads

3 right hand drive

4 technologically inferior to Japanese brands for the price point

Nothing is safe like a swedish tank.

Because the Japanese car market is pretty small 75% smaller than the US market, and competition is very high. Plus as the video mentions, big SUVs and Pickup trucks that make up a majority of American Manufacturing auto sales, are just too big to be practical. Cars like the Focus, Curze, Fiesta, and Sonic/Aveo would be much better sellers.

Meanwhile when the Japanese first came to the US they sold cheap and reliable cars, two things that didn't exist at the same time here in the US.

went the biggest anglophile here can't really buy a ford
- no service centers

U wot m8. All the US cars are aesthetic as fuck. Compare an American truck to a Japanese truck for example. American trucks are big and rugged whereas Japanese trucks look like RC cars.

Even the ugliest American car will always look better than the most handsome European or Japanese car

Enjoy your gel fuel

>American cars have a certain sturdiness to them

This. European cars look prissy as fuck and Japanese cars look like toys

If you have an accident in a full metal car, you are probably going to die since the car doesn't absorb the energy of the impact, but your body.

Get an old Ford. Work on it yourself. 85-96 f-150 parts are pretty abundant and universal. Couple of service manual go for about $40 US. I have a 90 bronco with a 302 and I love it.

>8 persons
>very large

Do they not have mini/full size vans in Europe? Does everybody drive little sedans?

America was progressive in their roads, unlike you backwards ass bastard children.

The reason why people drive on the left was like this with horse/buggy, see the signs easier. It was then deemed more efficient and better to drive on the right, since the majority of people are right handed.

Being left handed, and therefore driving on the left, is a sin you degenerate bastard.

It's like that because it's a throwback to better days, directly marketed toward baby boomers.

they need those to not get raped

The modern trucks and SUVs crumple fine when they need to. Its just when they hit a tiny car they don't need to crumple. Much like a car doest need to crumple when it hits a motorcycle.

I'm personally not a fan of SUVs but trucks, trucks we do right.

Kinda sucks though, I have half a million miles on mine and I want a new one, but it just keeps going. My last one was like that too. Total shitbox but hard to destroy.

Aesthetically there are American cars that I love, especially when It comes to old ones like the 70's charger. But when thinking about engines and things like transmission, I definetly go with european and japanese cars. I prefer revs over giant engines to be honest.

That's how my bronco is. I'm at around 380,000. It's a 302, lifted up with 35" tires. The bitch just keeps rolling. Hell the clutch has 150k miles on it alone.

I've only had to replace the starter, AC pulley, and water pump.

I just want a cheap car and some some autobahns to get me from point A to point B.

There aren't that many, especially when talking about USDM cars.

also car taxes are insane in Finland.

>2017
>Bronco

youre in a warm and dry state? i think all the ones in Canada rusted to dust by now

Cuz American cars are kind of shit right now. Buick has a couple I like. That's it.

Also these.

Ummm. Those are backwards...

I'm in central Illinois.

Just take care of your shit. When there's salt on the ground, get home and clean the fuck out of it. Mine's a 94, though. A little rust on the fender but nothing major. probably another 10 years left before the cancer kills the frame.

Fuck I'd drive that teal and white thing. It's like a miniaturized kidnapper van.

I am a Hyundai fanboy myself.

I saw tons of Mustangs when I was in Shibuya, but that was about the only American car I saw. Lots of Mercedes and BMWs otherwise.

I wouldn't give a fuck if you guys bought our trucks if I could own one of these puppies.

This. Overall quality has fallen massively. Take for instance Ford's center console displays. Like 4x4 inch screens. My Hyundai it's 10x10 and 20% cheaper than ford comparison. Overpriced and underqualitied.

yeah when a tank runs into a wall the tank gets destroyed...

There are no german cars tho, its all produced in Mexico and China

Lived in Japan for 10 years. There is no room for big ass trucks and 25' long sedans trust me.

In Britain it's so that when you hold your sword in your right hand it's towards any potential dangers on the road.

Weren't 99.99% of Japanese banned from carrying any weapons?
Kinda silly having traffic laws just for a handful of Samurai, even if they had authority of the common folk.

GET IN HERE FAGGOTS
WE'RE KILLING THE LÜGENPRESSE

GET IN HERE FAGGOTS
WE'RE KILLING THE LÜGENPRESSE

Guzzles gasoline and the design is "loud", it's very American in every way, wasteful and pompous.

recent Japanese car design not that nice and interior looks cheap like aftermarket from 00s

A car must dent when It crash so It decelerate smooth as possible, to make your body absorb the less amount of energy possible and survive.

US vehicles are probably too big for Japanese roads.

I remember living in Yokosuka for a couple of years and noticing how tiny a lot of the cars are in Tokyo, plus the main transportation method in Tokyo is by rail.

When I was in the Middle East I noticed they drive American cars and European super cars. Chargers are pretty popular.

Components are made in China these days.

American cars are objectively inferior and nobody wants a car built by spics and niggers.

Maybe because murkan car inductry is just trash and none but fanboys buy it?