Pronunciation of "ask"

>me in 8th grade
>sit next to a girl from Jamaica in health class
>she says "ax" all the time instead of "ask"
>one day I comment on it
>my friends and I spend the next 5 minutes trying to get her to say it the correct way
>"aaaaa...aaaaax"
>this went on for a while
>she physically couldn't say "ask" correctly
I want to see Sup Forumss opinion on why this happens

Other urls found in this thread:

smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/people-have-been-saying-ax-instead-ask-1200-years-180949663/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I imagine their language doesn't support the sound made by the "sk" in ask. So they can't make the sound.

Jamaicans speak English. Hypothetically anyway.

Same reason I can't roll my 'r's when speaking beaner I'd imagine.

whaddya mean by "their language" english is an official language of jamaica

yeah, but jamaicans speak the same language as us so it's not like their skills develop differently than ours

twelfth
>twelf
fire
>fi-yer
February
>feb-yu-ary
If you do any of these, you are an uncivilized animal.

how do you pronounce fire?

probably "fahr" or something equally autistic

Correct pronunciation is learnt early in the development of language and if you want to change your pronunciation it requires a lot of practice. Jamaican people probably never learnt to pronounce the sk sound so she never learnt how to speak correctly from her parents.

Try and pronounce a letter which is not a part of the english language such as ы and you'll realise how you cannot physically do it. It might take a week or even a year of practice to get it correct.

They speak like british low-lifes.

One syllable, not two

every way I can imagine this, sounds like a hillbilly. vocaroo please?

twelfth
>twelf
fire
>fi-yer
February
>feb-yu-ary
So basically you hate the british working class?

Far

Tell them to start with the word "basketball," which we know that they can say, and then just have them take letters off of the beginning and end of the word until they're there.

Babbys first shibolett

>Jamaican people probably never learnt to pronounce the sk sound
It's not just a Jamaican thing.
Most of the black population in the US says "ax" instead of "ask."

t. Yankposter attending Uni here

Are you accusing him of being a Labour MP?

It isn't pronounced ``FI ER'' but it is ``FIRE". Can your autistic simpleton mind grasp it now?

wait my autist brain is still confused. Please link a video to someone pronouncing "fire" the right way.

I'm pretty sure this fire shit is a troll. Either that or its some redneck thing like saying "oil" as one syllable

It's pronounced faJə. You don't make an -er- sound, instead the ai is stressed.

Wow, can I vote for you for president?

What an elegant solution to a long-term problem

>Chaucer used "ax." It's in the first complete English translation of the Bible (the Coverdale Bible): " 'Axe and it shall be given.'

smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/people-have-been-saying-ax-instead-ask-1200-years-180949663/

>can I vote for you for president?
Starting in 2028.

I guess they lack language xkills

This, my family is Hungarian they just can't say a TH sound like birthday, it sounds like an s but Jamaicans were a British colony longer than Canada so just retarded niggers