Border towns

Is crime really as bad as people say it is along the US and mexico border?
I've heard that in the 80s and 90s Americans used to always cross to mexico for drugs and prostitution and all the cities there had areas dedicated for pimps and drug dealers.
Everyone on travel sites seems to just warn people not to cross the border at all, but surely it can't be that bad. Obviously people have to go back and forth so I can't see how it's true.
Does everyone in border towns just stockup on guns and hope for the best? lol

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ID3kpMRA-eE
cnn.com/2017/02/12/americas/mexico-trump-protest/
elmanana.com.mx/
youtu.be/gy1B3agGNxw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

AZ fag here. There are signs starting at 30 miles from the border put up by the border patrol advising citizens to arm themselves before going any further.

Got pulled over north of Nogales once and all the cop said was he wanted to make sure we had a firearm. My friends and I showed him our rifles and he wished us a safe trip

What about vacations and stuff to mexico? It seems like it's only been in the past 10 years or so that people say not to cross the border.
Like there's all the americans that brag about going to mexico in the 80s and seeing prostitutes fucking donkeys, which is basically a pop culture token nowadays.

Like how would you say do a vacation down to cancun or something via driving? Do you have to avoid the border city crossings?

Went to Baja for spring break. If you're not flying, you're advised not to leave major highways and bring your own gas in cans. Certain tourist areas of Mexico are very profitable to the state and therefore safe. Coincidentally all the signs are in English and everyone speaks English.

I live in Juarez with the texan border. things changed.

youtube.com/watch?v=ID3kpMRA-eE

Well I've been to mexico once before but we flew in and I just stayed at a resort lol

I just find it weird that their GDP keeps increasing but everyone says things are way shittier. Like I met someone from Laredo and she was saying you could hear gunfire across the border all the time and Americans that crossed the border for drugs and sex usually were murdered or kidnapped.
Seems weird to me considering I've heard all these stories of guys in the 80s basically using mexico as their degenerate playground lol

they are over reacting.

I went to Cancun with my family as a kid. Our flight was from Houston to Cancun though, never set foot in the shitty parts of Mexico and spent the entire time in the resorts built for white people.

built for white people

top kek. it was built by white hispanic mexican engineers.

What's life like in Juarez? Were you there when stuff like in the movie Sicario was going down? That was I think 10+ years ago, not sure if that was all fictional either.
They don't teach us anything about mexico in Canada I only really know what Americans tell everyone lol

t. mexican intellectual

grew up in south texas
when the mexican military was in border towns - like 08 and 09 - there were fears that the violence would spill over but it never did; it was very bad in Mexico though....towns were having their politicians shot pointblank in town squares and people were forced to work for the gangs. it was wild

there was one shooting in a touristy area on the Mexican side (I'd like to point out that, at the moment, that same area is now in total control by the cartels, with plainclothes security guards in every store / restaurant, zero fucking homeless people walking around, total calm, nobody honkeys getting pickpocketed or bothered)

the drug gangs were around (there were Lotuses and Corvettes in off-the-grid trailer parks, shit like that), but nothing ever happened in the American side

Juarez was the new vegas in 80s for the american prohibition of alcohol, it was a boom. Even Marilyn Monroe and al capone came for some drinks. NAFTA arrived in 1990, and Americans built a lot of sweat shops. but we had a lot of immigration, it was bad because they started to rape girls. In 2008-2012 we lived all the sicario movie, we was the most dangerous city in the world with 20 homicides per day, 2 cartels were slaughtering each other, now we are safe again. We still have problems, but not like that war.

Do mexicans want to die but are too scared of death to do it too?

American border town are some of the safest places in the United States. Mexican border towns however are some of the shittiest parts of Mexico.

when you're driving on the highway, you are passed by
1) local cops
2) state police
3) cbp
4) county sheriffs

of course, there's also DEA, FBI, ATF, Texas Rangers, national guards (they're not at the border anymore but they didn't do shit there anyway)

dont mix us with bad hombres or narcos. Narcos wanted to die for a few dollars.

you're one of the cucks working in a maquiladora aren't you?
is it true you guys fix our cellphones?

I want to be gone but I don't want to die. I want the sun to eat the earth.

I've lived 15 minutes away from the TJ crossing and have never gone out of fear. My coworkers that live there say the rumors are true. All of them. Look them up.

I was pretty much peaking in autismal levels in 2008, I don't think I could handle 20 homicides a year lol
Like in Canada usually 20-30 homicides a year is considered extreme. There basically isn't even such a thing as muggings here. I think the worst thing I had happen to me is someone stole my car stereo 10 years ago.

DF had the bad reputation when I was growing up
People talked about the Zetas back in like 04/05 but the tall tales were so crazy that nobody believed them...like they were made up or something
now the borders are scarier lol

>shittiest parts of Mexico

you obviously dont know south mexico.

Tijuana and Juarez are the 6th and 8th richest and important cities in Mexico, with a lot of opportunities.

Maquiladoras are not the only jobs here, but mostly are indians from south mexico. yes, they are making your tvs and iphones. i am studying industrial engineering.

good luck; get a job here, El Paso seems chill as fuck tbqh

hahahahahaahhaha first world problems. I dont know any person in mexico that haven't been robbed.

MEXICO IS A SHIT HOLE. Everytime someone reminds them of their situation they riot and blame their rich, successful brother for all of their short comings.
cnn.com/2017/02/12/americas/mexico-trump-protest/

Where do you live? El paso is nice but very boring.

I live in San Diego.
We used to go to Tijuana all the time back in the '90s because you could drink alcohol at 18 instead of 21 in the states.
Lots of clubs, prostitutes, everything was cheap and a lot of fun.
After 9/11 everything went to shit.
Went there in 2013 and all the clubs were closed down, everyone was super poor and begging for money, kids were selling chicle/gum for money everywhere you went.
Nothing to buy nothing to do.
Took me two hours waiting at the border to get back into USA.
I will never go again.

grew up in McAllen

fake news, only a few protested.

Agreed. All was better before 9\11

cartels and corruption fucked up border towns.

nah vicente fox turned a blind eye to the cartels
calderon tried to tackle it head on but it turned into a war

I visited Mcallen for the first time a few weeks ago. Was pretty comfy, especially compared to Austin.

All our homeless people here basically just die during the winter due to the cold so I guess many crimes stay low due to that

yeah it's not too bad, getting bigger for sure
hurricane season is a bitch though, but you already know that lol

>be me
>lived near Nogales last year
>friends want me to go to Mexico side
>common user theres hookers n booze n sheet
>umm why? theres hookers and booze in Tucson
>one night I finally give in
>drive to gate
>park
>get out
>leave gun in the car because muh gun free zone
>get cash at atm
>walking towards gate
>fucking machine guns going HAM
>durr nogunz overreacting
>umm no I did tours in Iraq that was fucking machine guns
>sirens
>border closed for the night
>fuck this shit I'm out
>news next day says it was the largest shootout the town has ever seen between 2 rival gangs
>right in the tourist strip part of town

Yeh no. There is no reason to go into Mexico. None. There is enough mexican pussy and drugs on this side of the wall to last a lifetime.

Fuck Mexico and fuck everyone on that side of the wall and fuck everyone on this side of the wall trying to make this side of the wall more like that side of the wall.

Its so funny how americucks are so paranoid about foreign countries.
Your media is a joke because they only peddle crime news to get ratings. Border towns are safe because cities cooperate with each other and people cross the border every day.

Grow up.

>Your media is a joke because they only peddle crime news to get ratings.
literally on the front page of the El Manana after that happened

clubs close down, new ones open. that happens all the time

if you tried going to the exact same places that existed 10 years before, you are simply naive/old

t. lived in tijuana 24 years

Get your shit together Moldova... making the rest of Europe look bad

It's all just bullshit overreaction, you will be fine as long as you don't start a fight with any of the "heavy" cunts or his little spoiled brat's, I would advise all of you to stay in the tourist areas, Tijuana is fucking fun man, don't go to hong kong and especially the red light district, It's fucking gross and degenerate, it's really easy to get addicted to that stuff, there's other nightclubs and bar's you can go to, just don't talk to the faggots dressed in tight bright colored dress shirts and designer shoes, you don't want to get in trouble with his daddy.

they are paranoid in their own country, thats why they need an AR-15 under their pillow to sleep well

I felt bad during the drug war cuz my friend's dad owned two clubs in Matamoros, and nobody went over there after it got violent
spring breakers are still told not to go

where?

elmanana.com.mx/

matamoros had been a rather shady place even before the cartel wars. TONS of cartel activity there

Had a relative right on the US side of the border an all houses have bars on the windows and she constantly said the illegals and coyotes crossed through her yard all the time. She used to do all her shopping in tiawana but it got so bad she wouldn't go anymore bc cartels

Tune in to you local news tomorrow evening.
I promise you it will only report on local crimes and nothing else.

i'm in EP, grew up in Edinburg. Glad I left the valley. It's an alright place, but the ignorance, complacency, and corruption there drive me crazy.

>She used to do all her shopping in tiawana but it got so bad she wouldn't go anymore bc cartels

bs. cartels never disrupted normal economic activities in the main parts of the city.

Had a pastor that was a regular visitor to cancJun and when they went to the beach human traffickers ran by and snacked their 4 year old. The wife took off down the beach and grabbed the man so he threw their kid. It was very close. I won't go it's too bad

I live in Calexico and it's really safe here even though I swear I'm like the only white guy in the city. Mexicali right across the border isn't though. Drug lords and their gangs fight eachother and police there. They never used to but around 1998 things started get getting ugly on the Mexican side. Things have cooled down alot since 2010 though and it's safe enough to go to Mexicali for a day, don't know why anyone would want to though.

dude it happened almost 10 years ago; I just remember seeing the paper the next day lol

dude no shit; but it's weird where I live now, seeing white people struggle and hustle the way I'd see illegals in Alton do that
we'll both probably end up going back =( everybody does

amazing lmaffo

he would have checked your papers if you were Mexican
or your sobriety if you weren't sober
cops pull people over for whatever reason they want, and don't decide until you roll down your window

>don't know why anyone would want to though.

mexicali has many qts. only thing passable of that city

I live in El Paso. It's really not that bad if you're white. Might get some shit but Mexicans seem to target each other. My neighborhood had a bunch of break-ins and it was all Mexican owned houses. Mexicans started saying it was obviously a white person ( hardly any whites even here) and it turned out it was a couple of illegals stealing shit and then taking it across the border. Targeted Mexican homes because they knew the people in them and knew what they worth taking.

Only thing I'm paranoid of is getting kidnapped because a lot of Mexicans assume you're rich just because you're white American even though I'm trailer trash tier.

Nice I used to live in mission. Loved hitting up Pregresso and Reynosa back in the 90s.

Matamoras was always a cesspool that I avoided though.

What's it like there these days? I haven't been in over 20 years.

i left as soon as i graduated, going on 14 years now.

I work in healthcare
was on pretty good terms with the CEO of the hospital
he pulled me aside one day and said "we paid a million dollars for new IV pumps and chambers, and we've lost 500,000 dollars worth in the last 3 months, and a [fucking 15,000 dollar] dialysis machine was stolen. have you heard anything? I'm at a loss here"

later found out that gangsters would come in and steal medical equipment, then bring it to Mexico and either sell to hospitals or use in their own underground hospitals

Idk she always talked about the people smugglers and drug running in that area. She lived directly across the border from there. She's Mexican Spanish speaking. She finally moved to another state bc the constant flow of crime was so bad she was afraid to stay. She had people constantly hiding in her backyard from border police bc there were stash houses in her area

dont worry, I live in Juarez and kidnapping here is rare, and non existent to white people. That happen in Mexico city

well to be honest I grew up in Mission as well, but most people don't know about it
dude you wouldn't believe how big it's gotten, shit that was farmland has all turned into high-end strip malls
north mcallen, pharr (like at expressway 83 and jackson), ware / expressway 83, and even the area surrounding Pan Am are HUGE now, with new shit coming in every year
oh and STC has like quadrupled in size, they tore down a bunch of shit surrounding it to make room for new buildings and more parking

ayyy I'm EP too. what part of town?

STC is a fucking scam and a half, they know that NOBODY there pays for college, so they charge a crazy rate. You can go to a CC in houston for like a quarter of the price of STC

I paid out of pocket
white, upper middle class, jew parents

houston has a way bigger reputation for scam colleges than the valley

I can't even wrap my head around what would cause such growth there. The whole valley was just teeming with half dead snowbirds that I thought would ask be dead by now.

I check it out on Google Earth every now and then but I'll never step for in that area again for as long as I live.

The only thing I miss is hitting up PI to take down tourist pussy and freshly made panchos.

Nachos just can't compare.

AZ user here. I grew up 5 miles from the border. I had a friend whose back yards wall was the actual border wall (because there's already one there in many places). The crime was never as terrible as the media makes it. There were a few shoot outs between Border Patrol and drug runners, but the majority of the time it was safe.

>believing that China can maintain that level of growth for the next 30 years.
You chart is shit

jesus man if you paid out of pocket, why did you go there? because, c'mon, we both know that you are an extreme minority paying out of pocket.

Me too, Upper Valley reporting for duty!

grew up in el paso texas. yes its fucking bad there. juarez is one of those places you 100% make sure girls do not go too. they will be raped and killed.

Rim Rd Clique

city managers are pretty aggressive at trying to bring in new stores/restaurants, manufacturing jobs in mexico (with corporate offices on Military in sharyland) are popping up all the time, lot of call centers, cuz of the big bilingual population, and the biggest thing: healthcare industry has exploded
Alonzo Cantu built a hospital in Edinburg and a fucking multi-use arena (he's building a soccer stadium and a new basketball arena right now)
a lot of Mexican tourists from Monterrey drive up to shop and shit, and they make up a fair amount of the business
if you're in the valley during holy week, it's legitimately like 75% Mexican plates

it was way cheaper than UTPA and I already had a shitload of credits from dual enrollment classes from high school; I started there as a junior

Cut them a little slack, for years their entire economy was based on nothing but Cat Goddess.

and now it's based on nuclear smuggling

Don't forget about Epic Sax Guy

youtu.be/gy1B3agGNxw

>Cat Goddess

And how do you know her, Bubba?

>not knowing about her
>being that new

last time I went to Nogales was 10 years ago with my Mexican mom and Blond dad, I didn't like being on the Mexican side since I was expecting shit to go crazy, but we were fine, a lot of people who looked like beggers but they didn't ask me for anything

TJ here I dont see shit all seems like fake news to me

I don't think the cops like it when people panhandle in tourist areas, so the ones who do are usually women and always polite

Go back to speaking French, this is just weird

I've been wanting to drive and check out Route 66 and all that shit for a while now. Not sure why but i've been drawn to it. I'm finishing college soon and was going to go on break, 4-5 days would do it. Should I bring my G26 just in case? I'm waiting on my FL permit.

Comme tu veux, Bubba...

You probably won't need it but if you have a permit probably want her to bring it along either

>2 weeks ago went to eagle pass tx on business
>talked to a few employees at local site
>they're mexicans
>hear stories about how awesome mexico was back in the 80's and early 90's
>now they live on the US side and they admit they don't even go across the border except if they need to visit family under certain circumstance (IE death or illness)

When mexicans that grew up in piedras negras won't even visit piedras negras......... there's an issue.

It depends. There are instances of fucked up shit happening for sure. It's definitely a lot shittier compared to years ago.
Most people I know don't bother going to Mexico anymore, it's a hassle and things overall are a lot gayer in the southwest since migrations and 9/11. Fuckin A my grandma used to go to Mexico by herself for cheap drugs and she was a little old Scottish lady, those days are gone.

> The crime was never as terrible as the media makes it.
>There were a few shoot outs between Border Patrol and drug runners
>but the majority of the time it was safe.
>There were a few shoot outs
>but the majority of the time it was safe.
>few shoot outs between Border Patrol and drug runners

what?

The war was scary for everybody and traumatizing for a lot of people
A family friend lived in a mountain town outside of Monterrey and the zetas took over, killed the mayor and his staff in front of everybody, and eventually forced him to work for them, under threat that his pregnant wife would be killed
There are literally stories like that in every family. One of my professors in college had a son get kidnapped for ransom money that they couldn't afford to pay. Why did they target him? He was a fucking car salesman, so they assumed he was loaded.

My best friend's entire family lived in reynosa and their apartment complex was involved in like a dozen shootouts and raids

You know it honestly breaks my heart to hear that shit.

My best friend is mexican and her uncle disappeared in a trip to mexico to visit family. People think that those who voted for Trump because of the wall are racist but really I voted for Trump because I feared that shit coming over.

Don't get me wrong, I wish something could be done and it would all go away, but.... I want to be as safe as possible here also.

Isn't that just sensationalist anecdotes though?
Mexico is one of the largest economies in the world

I went to Cabo san Lucas last year, walked around by myself on New Year's in the downtown with no issues besides a tubby mexican boy asking for some of the food I had.
Also drove ~2 hours from cabo to los barriles to fish marlin and there was no issues along the highway. Mexico is very nice and the people are very nice in areas not dominated by cartels. In areas dominated by cartels its hell on earth I'd imagine.

First of all, law enforcement in the border is corrupt as shit. Those guys are fucking pros at catching illegals and preventing drugs to come across. And the feds build legit cases against nationals that are involved in the cartel, whether that means seizing millions in cash, breaking down the drug trade, or helping stop the flow of guns into Mexico
No fucking wall is gonna make a difference in violence if EVERYBODY is in the cartels payroll, which they are

Go to McAllen. Border Patrol agents make shit pay but all live in gated communities and drive new trucks. Not hard to do the math

pretty safe here unless you wander to the NE part of town. Can't say the same for the others.

But stop and frisks actually work?

It's unconstitutional though =)
Unlawful search and seizure

I remember you from a thread months ago. The richfag of Rim Road.