Circular Cities

Why aren't cities planned and designed relatively circularly?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.ru/maps/place/Mocквa/@55.7494733,37.35232,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x46b54afc73d4b0c9:0x3d44d6cc5757cf4c!8m2!3d55.755826!4d37.6173
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Our capital city (Canberra) is

too bad its just surrounded by shitty farms in the middle of nowhere

Oh shit, I never knew that, that's fascinating. Thanks for the truth bomb Ausbro.

look up "spoke and hub design". many cities are designed this way. San Antonio is one of them.

Inefficiency

Hexagons are easier to expand

It's sized restricted, once you go too far out for the central point it becomes impossible to get around the radius of the circle efficiently.

grid based roads, you keep the wheel straight and turn 90 degrees when needed

circle roads, you keep adjusting the wheel minding the road, the traffic and hope the incoming intersection will not flip your car

just because something looks good from above dose not mean it will be good in practice

>SimShitty (2015)
Get Skylines line a real man you fucking pleb

I think it would psychologically fuck with people if most of their navigation was done constant cyclic-ness.

The Pythagorean theorem.

>Why aren't cities planned and designed relatively circularly?
Centrally located hospitals/police and other services do not require circular layouts.

Oh yes... The imperial city, a beautiful town in the land of cyrodil..

Atlantis was circular, with nine concentric canals. If you're white you should know this.

google.ru/maps/place/Mocквa/@55.7494733,37.35232,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x46b54afc73d4b0c9:0x3d44d6cc5757cf4c!8m2!3d55.755826!4d37.6173

Most cities aren't planned.

Jewish physics

I think even though cities are planned as grids, as they grow they grow circularly on the larger scale.

That's shaped like a heart.

Because property in the center would quickly become a monopoly, and really fucking expensive.

Everyone would crowd around the center ignoring the small businesses further away.

Why walk in a huge circle around the city when all the fun stuff is in the middle?

Also this is bad for living spaces.

We have regulations which dictate how much sunlight you have to give someone for them to live there.

The shadow cast by the middle would be enormous on all sides.

Fucking kikes, man.

Circles aren't congruent shapes, therefore wasted space.

Walter Burley Griffin and his wife were pretty great.

inefficient layout since buildings arent fucking round.

>circular cities
What are you a Jew? Why are you so scared of corners so much?

On a more serious note a grid design allows for better expansion planning.

> Circles aren't congruent
Congruent can't apply to a single shape, congruent means identical in form, how can a single circle be congruent without an argument or other entity to apply it to?
That doesn't make sense, buildings don't have to be round for you to build a generalized round superstructure centered around them.

because cities are for the most part not planned at all.
They grow on demand.

China's ghost towns are a great illustration of what happens when you build a city nobody asked for.

Circular really is a best.

Nice airport, kek

Uneven terrain and unpredictable growth in population and technology/industry.

>Congruent can't apply to a single shape, congruent means identical in form, how can a single circle be congruent without an argument or other entity to apply it to?
Yeah I fucked up, what's the word for "click togetherable"?

>cities are unplanned
Spoken like a typical Barbarian

Because we tried that and its a traffic jam nightmare

/thread

To be fair, one of the streets in the Sydney part is the oldest road in Australia (George Street), and those old bush settlers really didn't give a fuck. The roads probably avoided rocks and gum trees.

>what is soviet archidecture

> Cities are not planned at all
A lot of newer ones at this point are, Curitiba, Brasilia, Canberra.
Assemblable, connectable, combinable, fusable, joinable, linkable.

I live in Germantown, maryland.

I work at silver spring. lemme tell you, 495 is a fucking mess.

i read the fucking thing was never to built because it violates a series of safety regulations but fucking yuppies didnt want their houses near a fucking highway so they built it anyway.

holy fuck its insane how much of my life is wasted in fucking maryland traffic.

fuck you maryland, fuck you.

It would look great if the buildings themselves were better and made of nicer looking materials like more lustrous steel, glass, and wood, and if the building units had just a little more individuality to them.

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that Midgar?

Circular cities make it difficult to triangulate one's own position. This has been a topic of conversation among architects for thousands of years of recorded architectural writings and history. The four direction poles tend to work relatively well woth square city layouts...in circular layouts, people have consistently reported being confused, directionless, and anxious.

Shinra did nothing wrong

Lots of wasted space. The grid is still the best for utilizing the most out of a space and making the plumbing/wiring/etc. efficient and cheaper.

It's also much better for vehicles. You only turn when you need to. With a circle, you have to constantly turn, which translates to more maintenance for the car.
>Tire wear
>Steering
>Axle
>etc.

Unlike upstart barbarian countries like US, most of the world relevant cities have hundreds of year, up to millenia long history - so any kind of actual planning is not possible that way aside developing new neibouroghoods.

That said there are some "architected" cities, like Barselona for example. But circular concept makes no point from city planning standpoint - it only creates problem. Rather than concentrating stuff, equally spreading infrastricture and logigistics to balance is far more important for modern cities.

Top kek

you know why you faggot.

makes me wanna play cities again, thanks cunt

That pic is from soviet estonia actually, one district in our capital.

The soviets themselves said this is a quick fix to the housing crisis that emerged when agricultural soviet lands were industrialized and more people came to cities and didn't have a place to live.

The problem is that they said that these houses are temporary, and when we reach full communism, we will live in ivory towery utopia, but they lied, and now we are stuck with these ugly-looking grey commieblock in literally every city and town in Estonia.

That shit requires money, which they didn't have back then.

most cities, like the roads and stuff are designed because somebody's ancestors decided to walk across a field for a shortcut.

>But circular concept makes no point from city planning standpoint

Most European towns and cities do have circular core elements (and I assume it's the same everywhere else when you look at really old settlements). It's a natural development and made a lot of sense in ancient and medieval times when villages started to form around "fixed" landmarks like castles/garrisons, churches, natural resources and so on. And living as close to the core as possible was usually better for trade/transport and especially protection.

Circular makes no point _anymore_ though, except for aesthetic reasons.

Beijing

obscenely underrated

Tesselating.

criminally underrated post

9001 hours in MS Paint

Moscow is circular, and this is actually very inconvenient because the downtown is one huge traffic jam almost all of the time.

Circles are disgusting.

Loads of British ones are because unlike American cities they developed spontaneously over hundreds of years. Our capital is 5 times older than your country Ameri-sharts, no one plans cities in autistic grids except you

I prefer grid cities as well. It might not be as aesthetic overhead but it is infinitely more practical from a navigating standpoint. Have some NE/SW and SE/NW roads to help navigate and you should have yourself a fairly easy to navigate city.

They sort of are, lot's of cities have ring roads and the fact that most areas want to be as close to downtown as possible means a lot of cities are not too far off of a circle.

>circularly

Jeezus FUCK America stop inventing words

I know right? Can't he just say roundularly like a proper englishman?

>planning things out well is stupid

-Britshits

zozzle