Book publishers are hiring 'sensitivity readers' to flag potentially offensive content

>a sensitivity reader, a person who, for a nominal fee, will scan the book for racist, sexist or otherwise offensive content. These readers give feedback based on self-ascribed areas of expertise such as "dealing with terminal illness," "racial dynamics in Muslim communities within families" or "transgender issues

>Last year, for instance, J.K. Rowling was strongly criticized by Native American readers and scholars for her portrayal of Navajo traditions in the 2016 story "History of Magic in North America." Young-adult author Keira Drake was forced to revise her fantasy novel "The Continent" after an online uproar over its portrayal of people of color and Native backgrounds. More recently, author Veronica Roth - of "Divergent" fame - came under fire for her new novel, "Carve the Mark." In addition to being called racist, the book was criticized for its portrayal of chronic pain in its main character

chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/books/ct-publishers-hiring-book-readers-to-flag-sensitivity-20170215-story.html

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.twitter.com/jk_rowling?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

Fug, which publishers are doing this so we can boycott them or massively seed their books out of spite.

So are SJWs going to censor Warhammer 40k books, because the portrail of orks as a dumb and aggressive race of aliens is offensive and a nod to blacks?

*?

Publishers are on their last legs, they will be phased out like with news papers for ebooks.

One thing is an author being lazy and not doing their research (they should do that). Another completely different thing is people trying to force an author to change the way he chooses to portray a character or situation because it might be "triggering" to some people.

Orwell was a time traveller who tried to warn us. It's not even funny anymore.

(((Roth)))

>Professional privilege checker is now a real job

I FUCKING HATE THESE NIGGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

When do they start burning them?

>brave new world is utopia

>all i wanted in life was to become a writer
>see this
>realize any attempt i make at publishing would be chewed out by hypersensitive faggots

Progressives claim to be the creative ones, yet here they are, stifling it.

Orwell, predictably, wrote about this in the essay "The Prevention of Literature."

Self-publish

Finally! A job where I don't have to do anything!

the books or the authors?

They are hiring CENSORS

I can see it going either way to be honest

Why don't Leftist just start burning offensive books?

>"chronic pain" is now considered a standalone medical condition eligible for insurance and welfare claims
>fantasy novels are now being criticised for fictional portrayals of real-world cultures
>it is now normal practice on Sup Forums to start a thread by linking and quoting an article then never posting again

What a fucking time to be alive.

Will start getting more heavily into Orwell.

That's what it will have to be huh?

40k has the craziest, most lunatic fanbase ever, if they touch that shit it will be gamergate 2.0, but this time noone will survive

What's wrong with her wrecked face?

Compared to your country, Zhang.

Also I don't think work GamesWorkshop can afford making drastic changes and having their sales drop

>The Man in the High Caslte
>Dystopia

This sounds awesome actually for all the independent writers out there.
>the next decade will feature a famine in literature
>some edgy cunt tries to be as edgy as possible
>OH MY PUSSY THIS IS ANTISEMITE GOY SHUT IT DOWN STOP MANSPLAIN
>sells literally millions
>thousands of other writers follow
Can't contain it.

how could this possibly go wrong

Unfuckinbelievable.

Leftism must be DESTROYED.

the minestery of truth everyone!
everybody knows that orcs are space niggers.

I hate this effeminised SJW world.

Let's burn it all Sup Forums. Just fucking rip it up and shit on it.

estimated size of my dick

Just think if any books make people too uncomfortable than we can just burn them

What the fuck. BOOKS?!?!? BOOKS?!? WHO THE FUCK EVEN READS?

Fuck sake, saving a single woman from rape in a nigger community is more useful than that.

J.K. Rowling was criticised by the SJW brigades?

Kek

These people would have aneurysm thumbing through my 60s-90s sci-fi novel collection.

I'm starting to detest the way the left utilize the idea of 'sensitivity'.

As if having to confront the fact that the world is not perfect or not everyone likes you is some traumatizing crime that people have the right to be shielded from.

It just makes me EMBRACE people spreading hate. Maybe people need a dose of reality. Need to get knocked around a bit to understand how the world actually is.

Life is often MEAN, and you have to learn how to be happy DESPITE that, not be shielded from it. Absolutely fuck everybody trying to protect people's feelings and make them more sensitive and victim-y.

Dude the tv show adaption is fucking amazing.
The depiction of the Greater Nazi Reich is incorrect on a bunch of levels, but fuck, is it comfy

Farenheit 451

Well, that's what we're doing. They've ruined the world, so we're tearing everything they've arranged for themselves to shreds. If they want to destroy everything true and decent, then we'll make sure they're absolutely miserable and turn into the very hateful reactionaries their actions drive others to become.

Have you ever known anyone who has "Chronic Pain" who isn't a fat liberal woman?

This is Fahrenheit 451 more than anything.
People are willingly giving up books, and ideas that make them uncomfortable

Plenty, but I am a medical insurance biller and see that shit every day.

Slaanesh is going to be killed by a resurrected, mad space elf god thing.

holly shit! that woman studies degree is going to pay off after all!

I kid, I kid

Self-publish. If you're anything above mediocre and buck the literary establishment you'll probably catch on fire quickly enough.

Same here, brah. I've already been chastised and I'm not even in the publication area yet.

This. The recent episode against Pewdiepie is proof. They're just going to double down harder after Trump, they've learned nothing. This will create the monster they fear.

>gender studies is a useless degr-

Libshit sjws are creating jobs for themselves while we sit here with our dick in our hands.

Got any sage advice or redpills? I know there's online guides and whatnot, but you guys are generally better at everything than the first few pages of google.

professional butthurtist

You're not alone. I work at a private, liberal arts university where this shit is rampant and some professors are starting to push back citing your exact concerns. One of my closest friends in the philosophy department caused a stir recently by calling out the hypocrisy of safe spaces on campus and the administration is too hesitant to silence him because he's a black veteran in a wheelchair. Using identity politics against the left is pretty effective it seems.

> you will note this particular strain of aids once again comes from the US

Can't tell you about the process as I'm not a writer. But holy shit I'm desperate for some good writing that doesn't sound like it was from an old cuck or a 30-year old stealth man-hating single mom.

I used to think this book was far-fetched.

Whst the fuck?
I hope mire and mire authors just self publish or post online. Fuck these sensetive shitters trying to ruin art and tell others what they can and cant write about. Scum.

I used to love Harry Potter throughout my childhood and early teens. And the movies are still pretty entertaining viewing as an adult. I just can't stand the fucking fanbase, which comprises of whiney adult-children who Haven't grown out of children's literature.

I'm currently writing that just.

I'm to lazy to find a publisher anyway. I'll just self publish and see what happens I guess.

I keep getting lectured about "stereotypical gender roles" and my work literally takes place in the Middle Ages. I guess I'm doing something right.

Keep it up, my good man.
>Or woman for top lel.

As a Spaniard I can assure you that this "job" is bullshit and probably prone to nepotism.
I say this because our politicians (specially majors) are the absolute kings of making up new jobs so they can place their relatives and friends.You get like one assistant for the assistant of the assistant of the counselour of some shit.

Whats it about?

>Brave New World
>utopia

Triggered

I still have no idea how GW stays in business, their business model is retarded and relies on brand loyalty to a religious degree

>Make model (£39.99)
>Make new rules book (£19.99)
>Make model OP as fuck
>Everyone has to buy it or stop playing that army
>Make new rule book (£24,99)
>Make new model (£49.99)
>Repeat ad neauseum

it's not that you are lazy. it's that you would never pass the gatekeepers because for lack of merit. and thank god, because there would be so much cultural trash.

If they did that not only they'd be dumb fucks because they are Space hooligans, but also racists for assuming they were a nod to niggers in the first place.

This. (((They))) create a self-fulfilling prophecy by ruining the quality of life of everyone else, especially the hosts, until a golem is manifested.

Rinse. Repeat. The only thing they can't tolerate more than insensitivity and "hate" is being ignored by a Christian patriarchy. We're at the end of a vicious cycle; they thought it meant a Utopia under Hillary; instead a generation of NEETs has been watching their every move and tactic online.

>my work literally takes place in the Middle Ages
IT'S 1417
COME ON

Lel check out her timeline, she's unhinged

mobile.twitter.com/jk_rowling?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

where do i sign up?

>Hey Twain, do you have to put nigger in the book? You should remove it.

This. And they spam phone calls to game and comic shops to buy their inventory

I was wondering when the kikes were going to go after books. It seemed like the last entertainment outlet they havent thoroughly touched.

>she says. They're not supposed to be a place where readers "encounter harmful versions" and stereotypes of people like them.

i for one would love to see a harmful version of my self in a book. Books should be allowed to explore harmful things

I only see their own brand stores around here, I assume that the states doesn't have them? From what I understand GW only sells their own inventory in their own stores here, and through online suppliers like Amazon

My mate once got banned from a GW store for DARING to bring a D&D book so his mate could borrow it after a game. FLGS are basically dead here, it's a real shame
>tfw the place I used to buy models shut down years ago and is now an exotic pet store that sells snakes

>literal censorship
Yeah thats gonna end well

Still, some sensitivity readers feel they are in part contributing to the problem. Clayton said she's unsettled by the idea that she's being paid for her expertise, but also is helping white authors write black characters for books from which they reap profit and praise.
"It feels like I'm supplying the seeds and the gems and the jewels from our culture, and it creates cultural thievery," Clayton said.

THESE FUCKERS CAN NOT BE PLEASED

We need to start sending them classic but above lit101 level books to be "scanned" as if they were new works.

Literally all obscure african american literature if "written" by an evil white would be considered minstrel show levels of racis

catch one of them calling a famous classic author or better yet a living african american author literallywho and get them to call their book racist and a demeaning caricature of the black experience in america.

Why not just publish more books by black people, Latinos, Native Americans and others? some ask.
Despite the efforts of groups like We Need Diverse Books, "it's more likely that a publishing house will publish a book about an African-American girl by a white woman versus one written by a black woman like me," Clayton says.

WHY EVEN INTERACT WITH PEOPLE FOR FUCKS SAKE?!

Just end western civilization already. So fucking worthless.

why are these pepople even giveing in to this bs

How dare they run their business the way they see fit? We need some regulations to make sure the consumer is protected from PC media.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

>everyone is happy and content with their place in life cept for one emo little shit and a caveman
>not a utopia

>being a hedonist

Did you read stuff of Gillian Flynn?

I wanna bang Veronica Roth now. She looks hot.

oh no my secret

We're witnessing the slide into mass thought control.

>Everyone is literally drugged into submission
>Utopia

>whine everytime someone tries to include a person of color
>wonder why no one includes people of color in their stories

ITS

POETRY

but everyone is happy and society works, what makes it a dystopia?

>ebooks
Unfortunately they will crush and burn together with monetary reward for authors too. Ebooks are to easy to pirate.

fuck this gay Earth

Free thinkers that don't take their soma like good goys are deported, your entire life is planned out from before birth and nothing means anything (and most of it is probably a drug induced hallucination anyway)

Tow the line or die is the message basically, that's pretty fucking dystopian

Literal facism and information control. Might as well start burning books huh?

>your entire life is planned out from before birth and nothing means anything

you mean just like real life?