Red Pill me on the Coast Guard. I'm considering the Commissioned Officer Program that would pay for my Bachelors degree...

Red Pill me on the Coast Guard. I'm considering the Commissioned Officer Program that would pay for my Bachelors degree. and Id serve 4 years and 4 in reserves. Advice?

>something something serving jews something

If it makes dollars and cents, user, go for it.

Kill yourself in the ocean desu

Just skip the training and get to the point

Talk to a recruiter you goof. Commissioning isn't something that you can just decide to do one day. It takes time and work, especially in the Coast Guard

I have looked into it. It would require 5 hours a week through school, after graduation id spend 17 weeks in cadet school, and then 8 at boot camp.

I've heard nothing but good things about serving in the Coast Guard, broski. Apparently it's awesome work full of great fun, and some guys get to spend their time in tropical paradise to boot. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had the chance. I'd go for it if I was you man.

It also gives me free health insurance, free dental care, free housing, utilities etc. Also I'd have 400k life insurance deposit and I'd get all the GI benefits.

Seems like a pretty sweet career I'd think. It's like being a paramedic x1000
You are apparently forced into getting either a science or engineering degree though so you'd obviously need to have the intelligence to be able to do that.

The Coast Guard is GOAT and full of great people doing shit that is both cool and necessary. If they are going to let you join, particularly as an officer, do so.

My assosciates is in global studies shieeeeet. My bach was gonna be poli sci and comms.

This. I just bought a brand new car thanks to my military neetbuxx and all my normie friends I went to high school with are still struggling to stay out of debt

Yeah I remember reading somewhere you either have to do mechanical or electrical engineering, biology, chemistry, or environmental sciences. That's basically all they let you do. Might be different now though.

I am an actual Firefighter-Paramedic and my brother is in the Coast Guard. How is it like being a Paramedic? Lol.... He doesn't even have emergency medical care and services in his job description. The Coast Guard does have a rescue unit, but at most it is BLS and they do not perform advanced procedures in the field, like intubation, IV, cardiac monitoring, needle decompression, surgical airways, etc.

>The Coast Guard does have a rescue unit, but at most it is BLS and they do not perform advanced procedures in the field, like intubation, IV, cardiac monitoring, needle decompression, surgical airways, etc.
I always thought they did do that when doing air lifts and such. I guess maybe not since they don't have the medical training I guess

>even the coast guard still does more than the average chairforce member

And they say i am assured a job starting at 60k a year.

I actually want to talk to a CG recruiter, but my nearest is nearly 80 miles away one way so I never get the opportunity to do it, also since I'm working nearly everyday it is tough.

That being said, how do I get into the Coast Guard's LEDET teams? Is it really tough to get into? I have a lot of armed high risk security training and work around firearms and detain a lot of people at my current job and have been doing so for nearly 6 years now.

I goofed on not joining the military at 19, so I want to join at 25. is it possible and is the LEDET training or choosing hard or nearly impossible?

They very well may, but it is my understanding they do not. Based on what he has told me as well as joint training I have done. Same as my experience with the army. Regular field medics are no where near Paramedic level, they do have a few National Guard units that have civilian Paramedics. I've worked with some of those before on disaster mobilizations.

I'm Chair Force, not coast guard, but I've worked with them in the past so take this as you will. But for most military law enforcement types, you have to earn your way into the high speed units.
You'd probably enlist as a Master at Arms and spend your first year or so checking IDs at the gate. It fucking sucks, but if you push through it opportunities will open

>checking IDs at gates
FML it's only what I've been doing for the past 2 years to try and pay for my police academy only to be hit with bills
I was having a shit ton of fun back then doing drug operations in security working in some shitty areas

I guess if it lets me have fun then I will do it

I want to do the officer program and possible specialize in either Intelligence, Communications and Operations, or Public Affairs for the USCG. Any advice?

Retired Coast Guard Officer (H65 pilot) who also happen to be the OCS Assistant School Chief many, many years ago. Do it, Do it, Do it.

>awesome work
>great fun

literally fuck off recruitment shill bastard. The HMCS is a pile of dogshit that does NOTHING, and the USCG is an underfunded clusterfuck of ""hurdur go stop some coke boats and drown yourselves in tequila for 3 months at a time""

We need more guns

The CSP (or what ever the hell we call in it now) program is the BEST deal going. 2 years of free college for 3 years commissioned service. Hell yeah.

Honestly, I don't know much about that. I've only worked with enlisted who were training on a specific radar piece.
But from what I know about the Coast Guard from talking to them, it's somewhat hard for enlisted to pick their specific jobs. I don't know about officers, but I'd imagine it would be the same since there's only a few of you

Those are all good jobs though. PA is chill as fuck

My only fear is that its the prime of my life. I want to be married with a kid by 30. Im 19 now. I really want to look back on this fondly you know?

Intel is growing field. Very few "real" PAs other than a collateral duty a most units. Seriously, like 10 Os. Comms is always looking for computer folks.

Hey since you were chair force, I wanted to join that too back then. I pussied out, but how long is the wait these days and are the air force cops all dicks or something to avoid, if I should avoid, what is your best recommendation for an enlisted person who might want to see Japan or S. Korea (preferably Japan)

I was in the Civil Air Patrol as a cadet (don't laugh, the program sponsored me $4k in free flight up until I accumulated 39 hours stick time) then I jewed up and didn't want to pay further for my license so I flunked that and my hours are worthless now

I was married 3 weeks before I left for OCS at 25. Big deal. Find a gal, marry her. She'll accept the CG life and eventually love it. or marry within the service.

Once my 4 years of service and 4 of reserves are up, should I look into jobs outside the CG or consider staying in the life?

You're seriously asking what you MIGHT do in 8 years? Go. Live. See what comes your way. Grab every opportunity you can and see where it takes you.

But for me, I started to get out at 10 years, then 9/11 happened and I stayed for 23.

yeah dumb question. Honestly what holding me back is faggy shit like missing my family and what not. Im also afraid I wont have a job when I get out.

Dude. Just go live. I've seen more places and done more crazy shit. Had more close calls with death and seen more life than I deserve. Of course, I as a helo pilot and got to do some really cool stuff (and save a shit ton of lives). But my family was with me from day one, literally. So, I did have that.

>join the coast guard
>easy shit occasionally scaring drug runners in Miami
>uh oh we declare war on another east Asian country
>uh oh now I am being killed by Asian farmers

Well, that is true. We've had ships and boarding teams in the Arabian Gulf for about 13 years now.

yeah i heard the navy can conscript me if we go to war

They're both easy as fuck to get to. I'd take mainland Japan over Korea, but stay away from Okinawa.
Because you did CAP you might be able to get some extra rank and money. Talk to a recruiter to find out the specifics, I don't remember what it works out to.

As far as jobs go, it's all up to you. Stay away from Security Forces (police; i.e. gate guards) or anything on the flightline that isn't aircrew.
And for the love of god, don't get memed into special operations. If I had a dollar for ever washout I've met...

Yep, "That hard nucleus about which the Navy forms in time of war."

>navy can conscript me
Uh, you'll be a volunteer, my friend.

Oldfag out. I'd do it again in a heart beat.

benefits are seriously great. Pay is good. Great opportunities and relatively safe. Positives clearly outweigh negatives. I think I just might be a bitch lmao

Coast guard training is the hardest of the 5 branches.
Those guys don't fuck around

They still use M1 Garands in basic training

Basic looks tough as shit though

So in other words he is correct that is indeed harder than other branches

Yeah, I met a bunch of wannabe PJs who have washed out and disappeared off social media out of embarrassment. I want to do something that is both easy, rewarding and educational and will pay the bills in civvy life. You mentioned something above about radars, what jobs will that allow you to get later on in civ life, maybe something at Northrop or any DoD contractor jobs?

Yeah, as for CAP I would have had to have been a Cadet 2nd Lt and I was never that motivated in the program, I just broke 3 ranks before I left. No paygrade boost or rank boost for me.

Mainland Japan, and Okinawa, how do I stay away from Okinawa? I'd like to have day passes into Tokyo without getting fucked by curfew.

I've done security in the civ life and I don't really know if I want to check IDs or run tags on a base for 4 years, so what else is there?

9 years enlisted cg
AMA

Dude, airsta life is far different from the fleet, both you and I know this

Are women in the services all worthless?

Im 19 and want to enter the officer program. Could you give me an idea of what my options are after completing the program?

Where and how do I get stationed somewhere where I have good internet and a place to play xbox? What jobs will allow this, I don't want to get stuck on some boat thousands of miles from my home because of muh drugs and spics

To a point, yes. As clinic people and yeoman (paper pushers) you get some good ones, but its about 2/5. But yea its a drama vortex. I've been on ships almost my whole time and I think no women should be on ships. It really is better that way.

Be prepared to suck a lot of dick and play politics but thats the same in every branch. Most young officers I know hate their lives. The service is your life. Enlisted its more like a job.

Nothing wrong with the coast guard. Go for it.

Yeah, those guns are heavy as fuck. I couldn't imagine having to swim around and shit with it

Yokota AB is right outside Tokyo, and Misawa AB is in northern, rural Japan.
Same with Korea, Osan AB is right outside Seoul and Kunsan is in the country.

Honestly, when it comes to jobs there's really no wrong answer. There's a lot of shit to pick from in the Air Force, so the way I like to explain it is: imagine your dream job in the civilian world. There's probably a related job in the Air Force

Better join the airforce, or... go a rate like yeoman, storekeeper, or marine science technician. Dont enlist if you cant endure minimal hardship though. Tbh, im not an officer but i make almost twice than what all my friends who stayed in school and did college make. Then again, I work and do a lot with my job. It is pretty rewarding seeing as the coast guard is a small service you do see your work more.

Airforce has pretty stagnant advancement though

Well, my dream jobs are law enforcement and once used to be airline pilot but being a pilot in the military takes too long and requires a commission and law enforcement in the military sucks as well.

Yokota AB looks pretty nice, and Misawa looks scenic. I'm not really interested in Korea, my father was there in 62 and I want to see something new. It would be cool to visit the same spots my dad was in but the whole region has changed 1000% so it would be useless with the exception of the DMZ.

not too concerned about advancement, I just want a sweet gig and the GI bill to afford shit later on in life

If the US is anything like Canada don't go into military unless you go career. Their "exit plans" are not worth it in even the slightest.

New rules just came out this year, even if you don't do 20 years you still get a 'retirement' fund that scales upwards the more time you put in

The problem is jobs afterward are shit.
My neighbour was in the special forces in Canada and has struggled with work. Yeah, he does receive treatment for ptsd and gets payments and whatnot, but he has really struggled for work and many businesses are so reluctant to hire veterans just for that reason.
There are laws forbidding businesses from discriminating against veterans here but in reality discrimination is not a thing, a resume tossed in the garbage is just that. There's no proof for anything.