How can we get millennials into cooking?

How can we get millennials into cooking?

I'm 27 and I'm JUST learning how to cook. It's fucking embarrassing.

At this point, a self sustaining class should be fucking REQUIRED in schools.

I took a home-ec class as an elective in jr high, and I remember it being a completely bullshit class to begin with

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UYhKDweME3A
wonkywonderful.com/eggs-a-la-goldenrod/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>put pot on stove
>wait for the water to start bubble
>drop
>wait 10 minutes
>????
>NOM NOM

Cooking like being able to cook food or cooking like Masterchef cooking?
Because day to day cooking is easy as fuck to do, literally just follow the recipes you find interesting.

just google the recipes you stupid NEET

Its not embarrassing. I found a chef that I liked (Gordon Ramsay) amd st a rted following his tutorials. I was older than you btw.

Survival and Nature classes should be mandatory. How to track, hunt, fish, gut, clean, and preoare caught food. How to recognize direction and to survive in the wilds.

No. I want those people to die when SHTF.

kek. That's what I'm doing no with spaghetti in fact. My laptop is on the kitchen counter, watching youtube videos

but yeah like, this is a genuine epidemic that doesn't get discussed at all

no but that's the thing. I guarantee you barely anybody knows how to do just that bro.

No one taught me to cook I just sorta did it.

Look up cooking blogs. Allrecipes.com, all day I dream about food, bake your day away.

It's a practice thing the more you do it the better you get at it

Bread I baked the other day from king authur flours website. Also learn to substitute stuff. Expensive oil when canola oil will do the same. Baking powder is great for drop biscuits, I no longer buy frozen french fries I bake my own.

>any thing you can put in this plus some potatos

there, you're self sustainable now

If your parents don't teach you how to cook then you have majorly fucked up.

>Anonymous (ID: Jw5LMaed) 02/18/17(Sat)16:01:11 No.113238592▶
>just google the recipes you stupid NEET

Fking OP has internet to shit post but can't use YouTube/google to follow directions on food it wishes to eat.

Fking fking fking just get a wife

*your parents have majorly fucked up

My mom, bless her heart, is only good at burning water.

Thankfully I'm not a complete retard and managed to teach myself how to cook. Although I shied away from it for far longer than I should have.

If an autistic guy can learn to cook, surely even you can. I'm honestly shocked how many people can't cook.

I've seen people treat stovetop burners as an on/off switch

People are pretty retarded and don't understand how to transform uncooked thing into cooked thing or what's even happening at any level to the food in question.

>Recently learn how to property sear a steak
>mfw i can make the best steak I've ever had

cooking and washing dishes are taught in finnish schools

>that font
Did the intern just get done writing a paper for class before he made that?

right, that's the thing.

I was spoiled rotten until I was 25 homie

my mom would cook my food, bring the plate to me, and then take away my plate when I was done

she would put my dirty clothes away and clean them, then fold them away back into my room.

EVERYTHING.

And I fear that this is actually a broader problem with my generation - I mean I hope it isn't, but I just fear that my generation is kinda fucked.

I can tell you though, I'll ensure that my kids will be self sustainable - so the pendulum is going to swing the other way entirely..And of course my kids will then probably spoil THEIR kids, then THEIR kids will in turn not spoil their kids lol, and it'll just go back and forth I'm sure

That's another thing:

CLEAN AS YOU COOK

very important, you have to wait anyways, might as well do something productive

wow everyone cares

That is actually horrifying,

>frying potatoes
Literally one of the worst things you could put in your body. You faggots should learn some nutrition or food chemistry before you decide to start eating deep fried turds and grilled semen

I'm very good at cooking, my parents used to only let me eat out once a week. Now I eat out almost every meal. It's not expensive here and I hate cleaning dishes and pans.

OP here.

Yeah I just mad spaghetti and the kitchen is a mess, but I can't clean it now as my food will get cold.

I'll just tell my roommates that I'll clean it if they come into the kitchen before I'm done, but yeah next time I'll definitely do that

Are you fucking telling me none of you even bbq? Damn I feel bad for yall.

youtube.com/watch?v=UYhKDweME3A

Also this channel is pretty good

>Took home Ec, Food tech and cookery classes in high school
>Forgot nearly everything and now I am in OP's position

The best thing you can do is practice, don't make things out of packets, make them from scratch (google it) for example gravy, cheese sauce, salad dressings and red wine sauce start slow. Store brought ones usually have a lot of salt sugar and/or fat in them too so It's a good way to cut unnecessary garbage from your diet.

I eat all raw like a goddamn caveman.

Also by the way I'm white, and my roommates are Mexican.

They all kind of poke fun at how white people can't cook anymore, and i'm afraid it's largely true these days.

I have no confidence in saying that white millennials can cook

>millenials having the space for a BBQ, let alone the spare cash when they can just cook in a frying pan

BBQ is nice and all, but some of us have budgets and while we COULD splurge on a BBQ at some point, it's not a very high priority.

Anyone else here hunt or come from a hunting family?

Got a about a weeks worth of wild venison in one big hunk, divided it all up into steaks, stir-frying strips, stewing meat and have the little tidbits and fat sitting in my freezer to make sausages or mince out of later.

>How can we get millennials into cooking?
It's not 'millenials', just you.
You're just a failure.

I'm 27 and I made corn-cheddar-cassarole with feta stuffed chicken thighs yesterday..

Do they let you guys hunt in the are they shot Jurassic Park?

Jurassic Park was filmed in Hawaii.

>deep fried
They are not deep fried, you Amerilard. You just need to coat the pan with some olive oil and you have GOAT tier roasted potatoes.
Add some other vegetables or a side dish and you are set.

You can make a world class dish with this little guy. If you really dont have room for one of these you have bigger problems my man.

They also need to bring back serious physical education. When I was in High School (10 years ago) it was already devolving into study hall and a free A in order to preserve fat fucks feelings.

That's a good way to get food poisoning and/or parasites

protip: cooking food increases the caloric and nutritional value, there's a reason we cook instead of eating everything raw.

wonkywonderful.com/eggs-a-la-goldenrod/

most millenials don't even have a house. You expect them to buy a grill to shove into their 5x5 meter apartment, on a shoestring budget?

Face it man, BBQ's a luxury and not everyone has the spare cash or wants to put the money down to enjoy it.

That's just the sad state of society today.

This.

Basic cooking is too easy

this, my mom doesn't serve me on hand and foot but most if not all of my food is cooked by her. if she isnt around i default to fast food places. I've never taken the time to actually sit down and cook something from scratch, ironically enough i'm the cook at my deli but its easy when everything just needs to be fried or heated in the oven.

OP seriously... Cooking is easy when you get a hang of it.

TLDR:

Cook shit from the ground up and you'll be good.

Want food to be more tasty? Use herbs & spice

As you go on you'll test out more ingredients and dishes, but really it's simple. If you use good natural ingredients, veggies, meat fish, etc and don't fucking desecrate it or burn it you'll be okay.

Srsly... wtf mna "i don't know how to cook"... You can cook decent dishes quickly right now.

This lmao

>Wanting to teach leftists and commies how to survive after the apocalypse

why the fuck didnt your parents teach you, i could cook spaghetti at 5

I can cook not well enough to serve other people food but good enough for myself and that's all I need at this point. Once I'm not busy with an engineering degree I will give a shit about trying to get better at it

I picked up cooking while living alone in college. Probably the most useful thing I learned there...

>cook ground beef on a pan until its brown, add salt
>boil macaroni until its al dente
>remove water and mix the meat and macaroni, add ketchup

i eat this every day. fuck all the homo ala carte shit

Look into a slow cooker. You can prepare mass quantities of healthy stuff and freeze a bunch for later consumption.

lel add tomato soup and diced onion to the meat to make bolognese

My sister took a cooking class in school. I had no idea.
>be me
>come back from college
>come down for dinner
>sister has cooked it
>wtf.jpg
>she cooks several more times over the next few weeks
>real enjoys it

A 16 year old blond who likes to cook, is athletic, likes trump, and makes fun of blacks. Anons I'm proud of my sister.

I could cook a full 7 course meal at three, what are you, retarded?

Or they could write books about it.
Or even TV shows showing exactly what to do.

...oh, right, they already have that.

What questions do you have?

t.Quebecois French nationalist living in the US born to Haitian immigrants who can cook

Microwave cheese sauce is about the easiest thing in the world.
1 - nuke a tablespoon of butter until melted
2 - add a tablespoon of flour and mix until pasty
3 - add milk nuking for 30s at a time stirring well until it thickens
4 - add cheese and nuke with mixing until just right
5 - pour over steamed veggies, pasta, whatever

He's a douche sometimes but in all honesty user i learned a lot from this show he did

pasta sauce is jew priced here even in lidl, costs like 1.30eur a can. they should sell it in wholesale packs in prismas or tokmannis(finnish wal mart)

stop trying to fuck ur sister dude
white people

>flag
Makes sense but what happens when the potatoes get diseased?

you need to fuck your sister

bahahahah faggot
>his parents didn't make him cook for the whole house since he was 10

>can't cook
>at 27
you are a pathetic manchild

>Using bowl lids as plates.
I do that too. I know the struggle of being poor.

>cut half chicken breast into pieces or leave intact (cooks quicker in smaller pieces)
>lightly oil / preheat a pan
>put chicken in
>salt & black pepper season it
>flip every couple minutes

meanwhile this is happening

>2cups frozen broccoli w/ 3 tbsp water
>toss in microwave for 4 min
>lightly oil / preheat pan
>toss broccoli onto pan with salt & soy sauce if you like or whatever

i like to leave the broccoli covered on the pan until it's slightly browning

>check on chicken

>take some eggs (i usually use 2-3)
>i like to scramble, salt
>pour in with broccoli and wait until cooked, then plate

at this point wash the broccoli pan so you don't have to do it later

>chicken off heat, plate

optional: i like some sriracha with it

>take multivitamin
>take psyllium husk

repeat 2-3 times a day

optional: I usually skip the broccoli and chicken and just do bacon & eggs for breakfast

job done

>proud of the superiority of his family
>automatically thinks of incest

Nigger get off my board.

How come every time such a thread comes up the OP asks for mandatory school lessons of the topic in question? Don't you nigga have a mother?

>How can we get millennials into cooking?
>I'm 27 and I'm JUST learning how to cook.

Just like me, you are the result of "low investment parenting". Read the "Culture of Critique" for more information. That should redpill you enough to make your anus bleed for at least a month's (this time without having to insert unsusually large objects like your step-fathers nigger cock, into your ass).

>I'm 27 and I'm JUST learning how to cook. It's fucking embarrassing.

I'm 25 and got one question for you user: are you a retard?

You can get plates for less than a buck.

She died in her sleep

Abso-fucking-lutely. Not only can you cut down on dishes, but it gives you more space to maneuver

youtube is a thing. Not difficult at all. Trial and error.

even if he had shit parents
>not taking cooking in HS for the girls and the free lunch ( you made )
what the fuck are you doing

I'm in college right now and everyone I know except one guy can cook at least a few basic meals.
The only people that don't know how to cook are the ones that can afford to eat out every meal.

Even if you have nobody to show you how to cook, at some point after moving out you just got to learn it. I lasted one month on frozen pizza and pre-made soups when I moved out at 18, then I tackled the most basic recipes because I just couldn't stand that shit anymore.

I'm 19 and I can cook, cooking is not a fucking skill, it's looking at or memorizing instructions.

>having cooking as an option and not taking IB
nigger what the fuck are you doing

Most parents don't parent and will not do so even if requested by their child.

took cooking and home ec classes in school, was called a fag but now I know how to take care of myself.

>>Using bowl lids as plates.
>I do that too. I know the struggle of being poor.

>letting plastic touch your food
enjoy your tits. If it isn't edible or made out of wood, metal, glass or ceramic it doesn't belong in the kitchen.

Also plates and utensils are cheap as fuck in second hand stores. People basically throw away their dead grandmas pristine kitchen ware because they want a 10 piece meme designer set.

You don't need a fucking class for everything, dipshit. It's literally just following instructions and learning how to measure stuff out. Shit there are a lot of recipes where it's just dumping a bunch of things into a pan/pot and occasionally stirring it. Making actual recipes are where any actual thought comes into play.

>someone doesn't know something
>the government should force them to learn it

How about you fuck off. For every new mandatory thing people have to do, you need to remove two others.

Education is a mess. Government school needs to be abolished. Parents should teach their own kids what they need to survive.

We just found the explanation for the terrible state of the western world.

if you don't know how to measure ingredients like brown sugar, powered sugar, flour, yeast, etc. you're going to fuck up big time and your food will taste like shit.

This. Cooking is literally just following instructions 90% of the time.

>how to measure ingredients like brown sugar, powered sugar, flour, yeast, etc.

That's why instructions and scales exist. No need to do it on intuition. Anyone can cook.

It's not the world's fault that your systems of measurement are insane.

posting on the internet

a worldwide database of fucking whatever you want

and you want some middle aged bitch to sit and read from a wikihow article to you before you're willing to learn a damn thing

humans are such fucking trash it's unreal

If people can't learn themselves some basic cooking they're just retarded and deserve to eat shitty food

Why would someone need to "learn" to cook... If you can read you can make literally anything.

>basic and necessary to life subject X should be a compulsory subject in schools

No. That's what parents are for. Do you want schools to teach kids to wipe their arses too? Don't try to hold the education system responsible if your parents failed at something - just be a better parent yourself and make sure your kids know.

Oh also cooking is a compulsory subject at a lot of intermediate schools here and people still generally can't cook for shit. Good on you for learning though mate, even if it is a little later than ideal. It can actually be really fun once you know your way around the kitchen well.

>have american instructions
>read "add 0.8 oz of sugar to the 0.14 gallons of milk just poured into the pot"
>unironically looking for a scale which measures gallons

Yeah, cooking must really feel like quantum physics for you guys.

>brown sugar, powered sugar
>your food
>flag
checks out

most people don't have scales, they have measuring cups.

I can do the exact same thing you can do with your $60 scale with my .25c measuring cup.

Yeah, you don't know how to cook if you didn't understand what I said.

I personally use measuring cups too, they are much easier. But scales can be useful on occasion.

Also who the fuck pays $60 for a scale, are the prices really that bad in America?

You can pretty much find everything you need to know online. Even youtube when it comes to basic shit.

Also when you gain a basic understanding of flavour combinations, you can experiment and produce your own 'recipes'. For example: lemon-oregano chicken is the GOAT combo.

For a cheap decent digital scale, yeah.

You can probably find one for cheaper that will be shit, though.