A N T I F R A G I L E

Anyone else here /chaospilled/?

What are you doing to minimize downside, maximize upside, and learn to not only immunize yourself against but profit in the face of black swan events?

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@nntaleb
medium.com/@nntaleb/the-intellectual-yet-idiot-13211e2d0577#.hvjbo34tg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I am currently reading through this book

What do you think of it as a whole? I'm only 20 or so pages in

Immediately I see how Bannon has been influenced by this and then turned around and influenced Trump

Honestly, I haven't read a book that's rung as true as this one. It completely blew my worldview wide open.

I've read the Black Swan, utter shit packed as gynious.

I feel that this guy has a talent for cute new words and definitions, but actual content? I mean, apart from ispiring stories to impress your coworkers during coffe break.

Has it strengthened your belief in esoteric kekism?

Actual content? The vast majority of Antifragile is systems analysis and evidence/examples.

A lot of what he said does seem to make sense, but from reading his books I can't help but feel he's way too fucking conceited.

And I had to read Hegel in college, he is spot on about that motherfucker.

I didn't understand a single word on the OP other than "I'm a faggot"

>Black Swan

Fuck, I've been meaning to read this since forever.

I finished it last week and was blown away. I've read thousands of books and place this in the top 5.

I have completely rethought my business plans from the ground up. I'm setting up systems in which I can make hundreds of small bets that don't cost anything (except some time and energy).

>Taleb likens antifragility to the Hydra from Greek mythology. The Hydra was a hideous multi-headed lizard monster. Whenever a hero cut off one of the Hydra’s heads, two would grow back in its place–the Hydra became stronger with adversity.

I feel the opposite I think Taleb is sort of a shit writer and nobody gives a shit about Fat Tony, it seems like a caricature of a caricature.

But the idea behind it is very powerful.

Individual things aren't anti-fragile, systems are.

If you design systems, you have to design things so that no single part is irreplaceable, so that if it gets destroyed other parts can rebuild.

If you are part of a system, you must have a stoicism about outcomes, and a flexibility to change and pick up and keep working if you're the part the gets destroyed.

It's about how centrally planned governments will always collapse. Why stuff like bailing out banks and companies will do the US more harm than good over the long run.

It was ok. Black Swan is much better though.

Well, keep in mind that he also recommends barbelling, so definitely take some of those small bets and put them into high-risk high-reward investments.

Antifragile is his best, followed by Fooled by Randomness, and you can skip Black Swan.

Apparently he's writing a new book, BTW, "Skin In The Game".

yeah he's been releasing chapters to it for public comment for a while now

Shit, really? Where? I follow him on facejew and twitter.

medium.com/@nntaleb

Thanks, user. Have a rare pepe.

Another thing that really hit home for me was that tinkering is highly underrated. Many times in my life I tried things out and failed and was kind of stuck. Now I can see how trial and error is the quickest and easiest ways to success. Sounds obvious, but it's not something taught in our shitty public schools.

great book, and everyone should read black swan as well

and I really like this article he wrote recently
Intellectual But Idiot
medium.com/@nntaleb/the-intellectual-yet-idiot-13211e2d0577#.hvjbo34tg

it's fun to see him fight with GMO shills on his twitter every so often

he is, without a doubt, /ourguy/

Yes, he is. He's one of the ourestguyest /ourguys/ around.

just like internet, Sup Forums, trump and bitcoin

Yep

Exactly. These systems are getting stronger by the day. Every plane crash makes the bigger system of aviation safer. The Titanic saved future lives.

not only that but tinkering is discouraged in a lot of society. There is an epidemic of credentialism.

You need a 2 year degree to do fucking haircuts in the US. People go to college because they feel they need to to get a good paying job... and I suppose they are right.

But it leads to echo chambers, wasteful bureaucracy, and bubbles. That pop.

Taleb is the best intellectual around today.

He's basically the anti-Zizek.

>Fatphobia

lipids, not landwhales.

>eat these gummy worms, goy! they're FAT FREE

Oh in that case he's completely right. I know people who trim the fat off their steaks but eat 2 baskets of breadsticks.

Taleb ironically as an insanely fragile ego.

I used to respect him until I started following his twitter account. This guy is a joke desu

And he is every bit as prone to BS as zizek and co

I love this man

yeah, i've seen him get inanely triggered by people on twitter and savage them over basically nothing. he gives no fucks

>macroeconomic analysis working worse than astrology

I should follow this guy more.

He's amazing, desu