#BOYCOTT UBER

Former engineer says Uber is a nightmare of sexism

A former Uber engineer has published an explosive account of sexism and power struggles in the workplace, with allegations beginning from her very first official day with the company. The engineer, Susan Fowler (who left Uber in December and now works for Stripe), posted the account to her blog on Sunday, calling it a “strange, fascinating, and slightly horrifying story.” It is indeed horrifying.

susanjfowler.com/blog/2017/2/19/reflecting-on-one-very-strange-year-at-uber

>After the first couple of weeks of training, I chose to join the team that worked on my area of expertise, and this is where things started getting weird. On my first official day rotating on the team, my new manager sent me a string of messages over company chat. He was in an open relationship, he said, and his girlfriend was having an easy time finding new partners but he wasn't. He was trying to stay out of trouble at work, he said, but he couldn't help getting in trouble, because he was looking for women to have sex with. It was clear that he was trying to get me to have sex with him, and it was so clearly out of line that I immediately took screenshots of these chat messages and reported him to HR.

How are we going to stop sexism in Silicon Valley Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

classroom.synonym.com/challenge-college-course-5859363.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>The engineer, Susan Fowler
>engineer, Susan
>Susan

Fake and gay, no such thing as female engineer.

tfw having to boycott uber and lyft
tfw you have to drive drunk again

:-/

read the blogpost, Uber now has like 15% female engineers after she left

Apparently all women were getting sexually harassed

They just hired Eric Holder to lead an investigation today because of this blog lmao

What the fuck does uber need engineers for?

Oh it's a woman.

Let me guess, she does nothing to do with engineering and has a social science degree?

>my new manager sent me a string of messages over company chat. He was in an open relationship, he said

if this guy were a 9/10 and hadn't intimated that he's a sexual failure we wouldn't be hearing about this story

>What the fuck does uber need engineers for?

Engineering is used kind of loosely these days, but I would guess they need programers and people to design the logistics. They get called "engineer'.

Okay female "engineer".

Happy now.

Quotation marks are appreciated.

It's inappropriate behavior for a manager to a subordinate. In a perfect world I wouldn't want women in the workplace at all, but since they are it's better to follow practices that keep everything professional. That goes both ways, I've heard some stories from men in female dominated workplaces that are just as unprofessional.

>I've heard some stories from men in female dominated workplaces that are just as unprofessional.

like what?

I fucked my boss for years and never had a problem until one of the ugly women at her level found out

there's no such thing as sexual harassment from attractive people

Meh, maybe she's married or maybe she just wants that sweet, sweet settlement money. Either way, if you don't shit where you eat, it won't happen.

fpbp

>have all these clean cut screen shotted cases of sexual harassment
>don't go to a lawyer

F A K E N E W S
A
K
E
N
E
W
S

Working in a hospital is kind of hell.

You usually get Tomgirls who are cool as shit, older women who are nice or meh, theya re professional.

But then you get these 21 year olds who think they own the world and talk down to guys. It happens a lot more than you think

>They just hired Eric Holder to lead an investigation today because of this blog lmao
oh boy i'm sure that will be effective

Mostly unwanted attention, comments and shit like that. Stuff that if a man did he'd be in hot water quick.

don't give a fuck for two main reasons

1 - women call anything they don't like sexist, and it is pathetic

2 - they have no interests in men's issues and are such hypocritical, entitled narcissists that they still expect every man on the planet to care about them

i hope all of them are getting groped, made to feel uncomfortable and passed over for any promotions

this desu, it's the only ethically correct conclusion.

>i hope all of them are getting groped
ffs As if they would not want it.

Jesus fucking Christ. "Stopping sexism" is like the goddamn pre-crime division, or the fucking thought police that all these liberal cucks are so scared of. Feminism is fascism. There ALREADY exists means to combat offensive behavior in the workplace. It is the faggot cuck's right to say whatever he wants, even if he could get punished for it. There are plenty of ways to stop harassment in the workplace, in the VERY POST, the bitch says she reported him to HR. I mean what the fuck dude, what does she fucking want? Someone to black bag the motherfucker before he presses "send" on his cucked message???? I mean give me a goddamn break here. Holy shit.

She wrote this book: Production-Ready Microservices: Building Standardized Systems Across an Engineering Organization

She's studied at YC, ASU, Penn, and Stanford.
She's worked on ATLAS, CMS, and RPTC.
She's worked at Plaid, PubNub, Uber, and Stripe.

i'm sure you're much more accomplished, faggot

>be modern american white wimmin
>get into school for STEM because woman
>incessant support along the way because woman
>finally get le real meritocratic job
>(because woman)
>not as good engineer as men who got everywhere because of skill
>
>???
>
>claim sexual harassment for being pathetic woman

They don't give a damn about the sexism really. Saying no is pretty fucking easy, but the standard for sexual harassment is legally very low and it's likely that the company will settle out of court and she gets a huge payday. Same with racial lawsuits, it's all about hustling business. Look into the Americans with Disabilities Act and the associated lawsuits, it's a shakedown racket.

This pretty much.

We need to genocide all the women once we have the artificial womb and realistic sex robots.

Women only destroy.

she's cute and i would love to fuck her doggystyle while she talked about APIs desu senpai

>be asked to have sex
>explosive account of sexism and power struggles in the workplace
>strange fascinating and slightly horrifying story

women will never be respected

Fuck uber. Get a real job. Stop lying to your insurance company.

>How are we going to stop sexism in Silicon Valley Sup Forums?
Don't you mean New York?

Also the owner is a retard liberal that caves when the wind blows against him so this is just fake news.

You want a change at Uber just yell at him and he'll give you anything

>Cute

Hahahahaha

Why would anyone want to hire her after this?

She has a history of embarrassing her employer. Just tell the guy to fuck off if you don't want the dick and move on with your life.

I self taught electrical engineering to myself and learned hot to use Eagle and OpenCAD to design PCBs over the course of a few weeks by building hobby electronics.

I've been designing high-altitude atmospheric monitoring equipment as part of a small company for over 4 years now.

We're also being contracted by SpaceX to develop some testing and monitoring equipment in preparation for Dragon's first manned mission test around 2018 or 2019.

So, yes, I have done more.

she got a job at pretty much the best, rationally valued and highest growth private tech company there is right now

post your picture

REKT

>uber
>rationally valued

no you haven't lol

her association with Stanford/Uber is more than you've accomplished

sorry buddy

i'm talking about stripe

faggot

Women don't belong in the workforce to begin with. It's their fault for wanting to work rather than to make White babies. Fuck those selfish cunts.

>engineers are spergy autistic cucks that cant work with women without dropping their creepy spaghetti all over the place

more news at 11

how do you get away with not hiring females or blacks Sup Forums? Is it possible?

Cope. Book is trash. QA book on microservices with some fake reviews.

Any student can join a lab in a uni that does work at CMS/ATlAS. Doesn't mean they actually produce anything useful.

Just lol @ your inability to evaluate STEM credentials.

>self taught

Oh so you don't have a degree and work as a machinist, cool man.

So if shes so accomplished, why is she working at uber?

Something isnt adding up.

Easy interview cause female and probably doing QA role.

e.g. no questions on data structures/algorithms

Does anyone else notice how 95% of the time, when it comes to complaints about the work place it's the woman who is complaining? Why are women such cunts? I deal with fucked up shit sometimes in the workplace too. You don't see me blogging about it.

This blog only supports my belief that women don't belong in the workplace outside of secretary type jobs.

>Stop sexism

Where do you think you are right now?

are you so fucking retarded that you think an engineer working at HQ in San Francisco is the same as a Poo in Loo glorified taxi driver?

i hope you fucking die

>he only operates on 1 layer of irony
heh, brainlets

stripe is fucking garbage

they don't even do 1M TPS and can't scale for shit. Are they even multi-homed for TPP?

wow they built some slow-ass APIs that look pretty, standard garbage silicon valley shit

top fucking lel, book is garbage

I'm surprised O'Reilly even published this shit

I read this blog post the other day.

Read about it on Hacker News. Uber is having a shit fit about it. They supposedly hired Eric Holder the former attorney general nigger to come investigate.

Silicon Valley is a bunch of ultra-progressive nazis and Uber is already in shit with the progressives because their CEO or some other executive joined some advisory board for Trump.

The Susan Fowler story just sounds like bullshit to me. It's one of those stories where she is the victim the whole time and it seems like everyone was out to get her and she dindu nuffin.

90% of the times in cases like this the storyteller was causing the problem.

>If you think everyone around you is an asshole, you might be the one who is really the asshole

I think her story is mostly BS. She's some gender warrior cunt who is mad because of the disparity with women in tech and engineering fields which is never going away.

Sounds like she was bitching to HR all the time about trivial shit and everyone finally got sick of her shit so she left.

>affirmative action hire
affirmative action hire
>affirmative action hire
affirmative action hire
>affirmative action hire
affirmative action hire
>affirmative action hire
affirmative action hire

This man knows what he's talking about. Just lol @ calling herself an engineer despite being QA!

hahahaha, roasties btfo

/ourcompany/

But this is the kind of sexism I actually care about.

There's a difference between "waaaa microagressions" and "my married boss is trying to get me to fuck him".

i'm done with nu-pol

they can't even "get" humor nowadays

i've been on Sup Forums since 2005, post-election this site has become unbrowsable

oh wow almost sounds like that they're working on improving their service due to experiencing hyper growth

every company deals with scaling issues. a nice problem to have hehe!

i couldn't give a fuck about her shit book i'll never read

yeah bro EE or die bro xD software is for faggots xD look at this toy train i self taught myself OpenCAD i'm so fucking smart xD

>microservices
dropped.

""""""""""""""""""""""engineer """"""""""""""""""""""

Who said software = QA you retard?

Just lol @ calling any software with a REST API a "microservice" then claiming to be an expert in it.

If engineers built things the way programmers build software society would be continually on fire.

And works at uber

women are sociopaths and when they can't get what they want through a little bit of effort they complain and backstab and scheme until the other people leave

if that doesn't work they go public and get everyone they don't like fired

you wouldn't believe the kind of shit women do when they think no one will find out (and most of the time they get away with it too)

>A former Uber engineer has published an explosive account of sexism and power struggles in the workplace,

OH SHIT!!!

>with allegations beginning from her very first official day

>her very first official day

>her

...oh, nevermind.

LOL. A man wrote that book. She just put her name on the cover so it would sell better.

I never said I didn't have a degree, fuckstick.

I said I taught myself.
fun fact: you can challenge a shitload of college course requisites by taking their midterms and finals and blowing them the fuck out.

Especially if you've been doing that in a workplace for a few years.

why spend 4 years getting a BS by attending classes when you get get work credit and take a handful of tests and be out in under a year?

I have a BS in Electrical Engineering AND Computer Science from Caltech.

>open relationship
Who puts up with this shit
>just fuck my wife up senpai

Please don't

explain this? you can finish all your classes just by taking the exams?

it's been a couple EE fags trying to belittle SREs and equivocating them as QAs because it's not 'real engineering' and more operations focused

cool nuanced opinion though

stop being a nitpicking faggot

>yeah bro EE or die bro xD software is for faggots xD look at this toy train i self taught myself OpenCAD i'm so fucking smart xD

lol
Everyone in EE learns programming too. Usually REAL bare metal programming like Assembly and C/C++ instead of fucking Javascript and Perl or PYTHON.

If Uber was programming in C++ or Assembly, they wouldn't have so many problems with scaling.

That's what you get for using fucking Javascript.

>I'm a white knight fanboy.
And she's never gonna fuck you.

Women can start their own tech companies and not hire any men. What could go wrong?

> Writing mobile apps in C++ and Assembly

Do you cut yourself?

Biggest feminist argument I can think of for getting rid of affirmative action, is that after that, nobody can argue a woman is an AA hire. Mere perception hurts credibility, even if you are qualified.

b-but MUH ASYNCHRONOUS CALLBACKS

>how do we stop/fix X?
>we

i hate women too poortugal.

solid projection

>since 2005
>just now realizing Sup Forums

kek
fucking women

>hyper growth
THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE 1M TPS YOU FUCKING RETARD

>every company deals with scaling issues. a nice problem to have hehe!

No, they don't. Not ones that have people who've been in the industry for any period of time. Scaling is literally the easiest thing to do when it comes to front-end programming, all of their actual trans are going third-party and are taken care of by their TPP (of which they only have one of, lol)

Stripe is a fucking silicon valley vanity project just like Square was.

They'll build a fancy brand and spend money trying to make mobile payments look sexy but they'll never actually compete on per-tran cost or do any volume.

You don't know shit about this industry so shut the fuck up.

>t. TSYS employee

classroom.synonym.com/challenge-college-course-5859363.html

Most colleges have methods to challenge courses or provide credit for work experience.

You usually take the midterm and final test and they give you a pass/no pass on the course.

You still pay for tuition, but you save on books and time.

some courses can't be challenged, but almost all prerequisites CAN be challenged.

i know enough that your dinosaur company is shit

>t. slack employee

>Use nodejs
>oh fug scaling issues
lmao

better get a hundred more servers instead of using a good programming language

You're the reason you make america look like it's run by idiots have pride but at least dignity

>writing apps in Java and Python

Thanks for cutting out over 70% of the smartphone marketshare with your bloated, laggy piece of shit that reuqires the latest and fastest iProduct or Samsung Galaxy 2000 with gigaquads of battery-draining superprocessors and takes up 200+MB of memory.

Meanwhile, I'll be pushing my light, fast, streamlined app that works on 5 year old phones that still have physical keyboards and has a footprint under 50MB, and never have to patch it because they updated the Python or Java interpreter.

Oh, and I'll be able to port it to ANY ARM platform in assembly with minimal effort and maintain the speed and efficiency.

Or, if I write it in C++, I can port it to everything ever made within the last 25 years and get EVEN MORE MONEY, including the fucking Chinese smartphone market.

teach me lad
what do you use ndk, Qt?

An honest question:

For which reason she, after not succeeding with her complaints to HR, did not seek a lawyer, and on top of his substantial evidence of abuse, did not file a lawsuit against the company?

And why, instead, she made accusations from her personal blog?

Nah, I'm not buying it.

and yet we still make billions more than your company ever will

For android, NDK.
C/C++ is usually great for android, and highly portable/scalable.

ARM Assembly stuff can be ported over to Apple stuff easily, but you will have trouble getting approval because their reviewers hate people who use assembly.

Wtf I love Uber now

Not a day goes by without another beginners folly about Java and the JVM. Profile your app SDK vs NDK and get back to me. Then factor in the extra development time that goes into writing an NDK app and tell me if it's worth it. The NDK toolchain is fucking awful, and as of right now there are less than 5 Android engineers working on it.

> Updated JIT breaks apps otherwise targeted for the platform
Confirmed for never having written an Android app.

> I can port a C++ NDK app for Android to any platform.
Oh...this is bait.

Fuck Uber
Fuck Trump
And Fuck White People

if women think they know better on how to run a tech company, they should get oprah to back them and their vision and see if it actually bears fruit. otherwise criticism of male environments can't be taken seriously or be respected

>been on Sup Forums since 2005
I can tell from the way you respond you haven't been here since 2005.
>Posts like avatar posters that answer post by post because he has to be right on all fronts.
>Uses xD or any emoticon ironically or not

>>>/gaia/

i used to raid habbo with my niggas. fuck off faggot

pic related was my favorite 'meme' before meme became a word used by normies after advice dog macros took over facebook

xD SHOOP DA WHOOP EPIC LULZ UR AN OLD FAG BRO U TOLD ME CUZ I IRONICALLY USED XD IM A BIG FAT MEANIE LIAR IMA CHARGIN MAH LAZER OVER 9000

>Having to justify yourself
>Reading up on encyclopedia dramatica
>Shoop da whoop
Pic related it's my favorite meme from 2000

SOLID REBUTTAL, BUT DUDE YOU PERSONALLY ATTACKED ME

CANT HAVE THAT

i used to be a GAY NIGGER. I stickam raided, I was there bro. i was at Otakon. i met mootles before he was gay.

is ED still alive? are we still alive?

but yeah you're right senpai

i'll just stop posting in my troll thread

it's been fun 'triggering' a few autistic engineers

and you of course, mr. the-only-oldfag left on Sup Forums when it's the last remnant of old Sup Forums

>Last remnant
>Loud redditer
>Name off all the memes I know
>Troll thread
Man what a boring life you must have; that you think you're so special.