Sup Forums+ GENERAL

Welcome to Sup Forums+ GEN. In the wake of NASA's announcement we are going to discuss how could humans reach light-years away planets, propulsion technology and the issues such a fare would bring with it.

memo:
For too long have the libtards hijacked science as a label for their movement.

I am sick of plebbit retards saying they are """progressive""", when the only thing
they do is watch Big Bang Theory, make up genders and completely ignore facts and
rationment. Traditionally, progress and advancement always developed under whites and under right wing regimes, and the majority of scientists/discoverers/innovators leaned right.

It is time to acknowledge the true patron and upholder of science.

This is why I am beginning this general, a place for discussion for the issues and news about
technology and science, and how they affect politics, not only now, but most important, in the future.

I think that, in the wake of the recent invasion of ShariaBlue/ CrewTR bait threads, this would bring a little more lively and entertraining discussion.

It will not be a daily thread, in order to not slide the more important threads.

Today's theme:

How long until we get to at least 10% of the light's speed? Is it technically possible? How could spaceships theoretically sustain life on board?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replicating_spacecraft
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embryo_space_colonization
space.com/14291-photos-future-interstellar-starship-visions-spaceflight.html
youtube.com/channel/UCimiUgDLbi6P17BdaCZpVbg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bumps highly appreciated

what do you mean by 'we get to 10% light speed' we have the technology to get a probe or something up to that and probably further, or do you mean something massive like a generation ship.

von Neumann probes- a possible idea for space exploration

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replicating_spacecraft

Alien life- The Fermi Paradox

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

The only viable option with current tech is a generation ship accelerating to 20% of light speed reaching TRAPpist in 200 years.

It is possible, but highly unlikely due to lack of political effort and funding.

>"If a spaceship could average 10 percent of light speed (and decelerate at the destination, for manned missions), this would be enough to reach Proxima Centauri in forty years. Several propulsion concepts have been proposed [30] that might be eventually developed to accomplish this (see also the section below on propulsion methods), but none of them are ready for near-term (few decades) development at acceptable cost."

It is practically the closest reachable technology that could be developed in the near future.

Really miss Space Elevator threads.

Is some agency sending an actual meme drive sample into space? Was it chinks?

see even 10% would be ok, in my opinion. This period can extend even to a couple thousand years, the only problem is sustaining life on board.

ye, the chinks claimed they would build a meme drive engine. One can only hope, I guess

200 years with 20% of lightspeed which is pushing our current tech to the absolute limit and 400 years with 10% lightspeed which is easily achievable with current tech.

Anything between 200 and 400 sounds fine by me to be honest. 7 to 14 generations of life on board.

completely unrelated but does anyone know what is the typeface in that picture? It's commonly used in comics.

Embryo Colonization
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embryo_space_colonization

Concept visions of Interstellar travel

I need some nice science youtube channels/podcasts that will be discussing this. Help me out.

oh boy an entire race of autists, we might as well send Sup Forums to run a colony.

Bump.

i don't really know about such podcasts, except from StarTalk. But I really encourage you to check out exurb1a and vsauce, if you haven't yet.

Forgot link: space.com/14291-photos-future-interstellar-starship-visions-spaceflight.html

kek, yeah. Think about how awesome it would be to establish the 4th Reich on a whole planet, while watching the normies and shitskins die from faraway, while not being able to do shit

to us*

>39 light years away

also, check out this cool motherfucker:

youtube.com/channel/UCimiUgDLbi6P17BdaCZpVbg

he does them with superior bantz and striped out off "NERDY GEEKZZY LIBERAL HUMOEUR xDxD"

>be mid-30s astronaut
>work for NASA
>10% speed of light manned spacecraft designed
>WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY
>volunteer for mission to Proxima Centauri
>excited.png
>3...2...1...blast off
>wooo this is awesome
>30 days of spacecraft confinement pass
>k pretty boring now
>wait, I got 39 and 11/12 more years of this?
>whydidichoosethislife?
>*fast forward 39 and 11/12 years
>alright, were here
>i guess its pretty neat
>time to go home
>fuck.

I don't think this is viable until an authoritarian AI can be developed to raise the embryos to responsible adulthood on arrival. Unless the only goal is to seed worlds with life and hope for the seeds to survive and relearn all of human knowledge on their own

>conciousness powered sky cities.
Its going to be real guys

There may not even be any home left to go back to.

I don't know why, but I think rotational mercury and magnets have something to do with near light speed travel.

Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing. I guess some sort of "communication buoys" could be developed, so you can shitpost and watch TV while on board.

Also this:
One of the reasons outer space colonies must be absolute necessary is because Earth may be BTFO in any moment

don't use vsauce for science knowledge.

Its just a mix of almost randomly inserted buzzwords and 1 of the reasons why people act smart but they actually have no idea about what they are talking.

If you want to honestly understand physics take some courses or read some books, just be prepared that most of it is just math but there is no better way in understand it then doing the math behind such things.

They're claiming they can get practical use out of it already for sattalite adjustements on the cheap. Weather it is used as an actual mission propulsion system depends on the size of China she patience

Undoubtedly, of course, I never claimed otherwise. He just points out these trivia fun stuff, coincidences, etc. and can potentially get non-interested people to look into these things or just be more informed over some general stuff.

>ID

Ayy lmaos confirmed