How did YOU survive the 2008 hyper-recession?

How did YOU survive the 2008 hyper-recession?

Oldfags: please respond

Other urls found in this thread:

houstonchronicle.com/business/outside-the-boardroom/article/Local-stock-exchanges-could-return-to-Texas-6172627.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I was on welfare on the time and I still am so the government took care of me.

I got a job and worked.

Was in the military and deployed, I didn't even notice 2008.

Wew. Welfare seems to be great in Cucknada. May i come?

I was already poor growing up, so I didn't notice shit

this

I lived in Texas and it didn't hit us that bad here. Rick Perry invited a bunch of businesses to relocate here during that time which caused our cities to boom.

No

Same here, that's why I dislike the (((elites)))

It's because i'm white, isn't it?

was still a kid growing up going to school and playing games on ps2/xbox 360 what recession m8 ? :)

I barely did....lost every penny I had....my business, my home, my car and my health.
6 years later I am worth twice as much as I was then but I don't care about money like I used to

Drinking

Same but our boom busted 3 years ago and I've had to change jobs.

Lost my job. Decided I could use some time off and made some money on the side doing general contractor type jobs and learning cool new skills in the process. Got offered a job working for a contractor, but declined because I had gotten my old job back when things started to look up again.

Was thinking of going to school to make a career move to being a linesman since I like playing with electricity.

I worked long shitty hours and supported myself through school. It really didn't affect me too much because I work as a supplier in the healthcare industry. I ended up with a great administrative job afterwards. Gasoline cost was kind of outrageous, but nothing like what my grandparents went through during the Great Depression.

The great recession was fucking easy mode, the shit show to come is what you should worry about.

Yes

Are you already owned my own home with no mortgage. Plus I work in the energy sector so I really have nothing to worry about

I already.

Live in Texas. There was no recession here. Get fucked yankees.

cannibalism

My family lost our house, we had to get rid of our doggo, and I moved away from my first gf and all my friends in middleschool. My life ever since had been a downward spiral

Was working straight after school until got laid off in mid 2008. Had this idea of "once i see running out of money i start looking for a new job". Problem was I was working like crazy, 60 hours or more a week, never went to parties, was (still am) too fugly to get myself some money-sucking ho, went to the pubs only when demanded by work colleagues on some special occasions (birthdays, somebody finding better job etc.) never spending more than a tenner. Used to live with my mom, didn't have to pay the rent or food, and those 15K I had saved only run out at the end of 2012. So basically spent four years shitposting on Sup Forums playing vidya and jerking off. Best four years of my life.

Had a job and went to work.

Socal bro here, was 22 at time of recession, was fucked at first, but learned to hustle harder.

46 year oldfag from oldfag thread reporting.
Every bubble pops.
1995 general crap (just graduated, shit job)
1999 (Escaped with job)
2008/9 (Escaped with job)
Basically I dodged them with tech jobs.
I was into tech before it became a bubble.
Oh shit it's a bubble.
It's going to pop.

NEET life is pretty rad, eh?

When I switch jobs some time in the future (maybe during the expected real depression) I'm planning on taking at least half a year off.

Had to get rid of doggo? You were really counting the coin. Oy vey.

Was still in high school graduated in 09.

Father who had a state tax lein had uncashed tax refunds. Opened a banking account once I graduated and cashed 14k.

Helped keep the family business afloat while we rebuilt our reputation that was damaged from an uncle who my pops passed over when he decided to move out with his gf.

I was out of the US.

WITH A LOT OF HUNGER
Not even kidding, it was shit.

I sold everything I had, even clothes to pay my school. Bad times, it's better just forget it.

Didn't really notice. I was laid off for a total of 5 weeks between 2008 and 2009. Steelworker here.

Sold pot.

But I mean I was doing that since like 2004 anyway.

Making hella money but somehow quit while I was ahead.

Everyone I knew in the business ended up in prison. Well most anyway.

By being 13.

Walmart. The only thing that was taken away was all non-essential operations and overtime is a rare occurrence.

Are we still in a recession? Is another one looming around the corner? Will my job survive the next one??

Was in England going to college.Magically unaffected.

>oh you, how original, so funny hehe
>see the flag
>holly shit he must be serious
Sorry bro for everything you had to go through, hope you're in better situation now

Where?

I got a new job and rose rapidly to upper management while everyone else was losing their jobs. It was pretty killer, desu.

By being 12

Apartments are shit, and he was a big dog

take advantage of everyone and everything that you can

>mfw I actually survived by being a part of a hivemind

I was homeless. Made finding a job into my job. Found one, worked hard and got promoted. Have a home now.

Bring back local stock exchanges, imo. We'd be better off cutting more ties with Jew York and Yankee states.

houstonchronicle.com/business/outside-the-boardroom/article/Local-stock-exchanges-could-return-to-Texas-6172627.php

moved three times, spent some time living with relatives, worked a series of humiliating and shitty jobs with a degree in mathematics and economics. Here is some highlights:

1. Worked as a cook at waffle house, overnight shift. One night a bunch of drunk high schoolers came in, made a mess of the place, made fun of me. Quit.

2. Worked in a toilet paper factory, 12 hour swing shifts. Basically two weeks you work 7:30 AM to 7:30 PM, next two weeks its swapped 7:30 PM to 7:30 AM. Two fifteen minute breaks, one lunch. Everything was covered in paper dust, ears rang constantly. Fantasized about sticking my hand in the machine so I could go home.

3. Ended up working with a bunch of ex-convicts, illegals, divorcees and anyone else looking to get cash as a mover. This was the best job, and the one that allowed me to live by myself again, but it was brutally hard labor. Basically you spend 8-12 hours a day on a stairmaster with 40-150 lbs in your hand. I went from 220 lbs to 160 lbs. Your whole body would be covered in bruises, and my hands are scarred to shit from ripping them up going through doors. It was kind of fun hanging out with the proles though, and it was nice getting a big fat tip at the end of every move (you'd move 3-5 people a day).

Went back to skool in '12 and got a fag job. I hate jews.

Good thing the recession is over now, right guys?

I live in Winnipeg

Oldfag here.

I was scamming affiliate programs and living at home in 2008. Most of my money went into weed but whatever I didn't spend I put some sub optimal companies that the Fed was bailing out.

A bunch of people I know lost their jobs, apartments, homes, companies folding, etc etc it was a rough time.

I never saw myself as a NEET. The way I saw things NEET is someone who receives social welfare benefits. Since I never applied for any sort of welfare I used to see myself as "I'm between jobs ATM" that was a sweet lie I used to tell myself

Dad's business went kaput. He went completely bust. Didn't loose the house though. Feel extremely sorry for the guy. Wasn't his fault. He recovered a good bit. Is in the process of getting fit and got a new job. Kek be praised it worked out.

I bet you are still waiting for your Fed bailout check like I am

Basically this. I mean almost exactly.

Things just now getting SLIGHTLY better for my family, though I doubt my dad will ever be able to retire and it makes me feel terrible.

Hopefully I end up with a decent job and can pay them back.

Joined the military in Aug of 08. What recession?

You haven't worked there since 08 have you user?

I've been there 2 years and want out. Being cap 2 supervisor is bad enough, but now our store is in the middle of a remodel and I want to quit/ murder everyone all day everyday.

Spent $500 to become an EMT, the wage is shit but the demand is so high in my state you are hired within a week of receiving the license. Worked 60-70 hour weeks, banked the OT, then cut back to 40 to find work in my current industry once the jobs started coming back. Job sucked balls and I hated every minute of slinging gurney meat but in a pinch it's a viable plan.

I didn't. I graduated college in 2008, couldn't find a job due to low number of job openings and competition that was, frankly, better than I was. Eventually I found myself unemployed in a "real" job for years and basically dug myself into an unemployment gap (which is worse than being a felon on a resume, btw.) Now I basically just do internet marketing which is actually starting to make me some decent money but in the end I still never "found" a job.

Gritting teeth and toughin it out. Corporate lacky at the time, I've since moved on.

I got hired at the end of 2006. I don't have a GED or anything, so this place is the best I will ever have it since no other employer will match or exceed my $15 hourly wage.

I was in college, accumulated debt.

we did survive whole familly lost everything they had

bank forced us to go bankrupt because theyr statistic and long therm evaluation said we could not make it anymore

we were 3th biggest sheep farmer of estern canada

sad years

go back to skool, pretend you graduated in 18' wth your bachelors.

if they ask directly what your age is, dats raciss and illegal

>be me
>get a full ride for sports
>graduate college in 2008
>move back in with conservative parents
>get a job and save earnings
>don't brag about living at home. if I needed a place for an overnight guest or out of town visitors - I rented a hotel room, much cheaper than rent.
>start a business in 2012 while working full time
>get biz income up enough to make transition to biz full time with savings from living at home.
>make bank

Only regret was spending a bit too much on going out, restaurants, and lunches while living at home. Could've saved more.

the end

It might actually work. I get confused for early to mid 20s when I'm like fucking 30.

By being 17 and working at Dunhams sporting goods in the local mall to pay for my '94 ford aspire and going to highschool for mostly just chemistry AP Hist. and welding class. I was least concerned about it. parents both had recession proof jobs i guess. Man i miss juior year! had so much fun.

You could also claim to have been doing freelance this or that if it's not total BS.

good 4 you m8

It never ended.

If you're capable of writing that sentence and using Sup Forums by yourself you can easily get a GED.

Then join the AF or Navy

Serve your 2-4 years, save every shekel you can. Try and do online classes while you can with the Military college support.

Finish your degree while being debt free and still having a decent amount of cash.

Get a job.

Lost my job

Found a much better job

10 years into a 30 year mortgage and I have no equity. The good news is my house didn't get foreclosed.

I was in college during that time, was literally not aware of it until later

What do you work? Overnight stocker is by far the cushiest job there, is dead as fuck with almost no customers, and you have to beg management to not be full time.

Also, never take an offer for cap 2 supervisor. Even if you take it as a stepping stone to another position, it just leaves you dead inside with a hole where you're heart used to be. Especially if you can survive Christmas season.

Hello grandpa

2008 was just stressful, you should be worrying about 2020 where people will starve to death

[citation needed]

I recognise this pain

Survived it relatively unscathed compared to others. Had to pack whatever I could in my car, sell everything else, and move across the country for work. 2008 was surprisingly fine, 2009 was very slow...if we hadn't got a contract with the US military I probably would have been laid off again.

obama might have forgiven the judeo-bankers, but i have not.

actually, this thread is kind of getting me down

2008 wasn't that bad tbhq unless you took out a huge adjustable rate loan like a bunch of idiots did

Here its like... 300 bucks every two weeks. Good luck having an apartment and food though.

Got a degree that wasn't useless, got a job (ie didn't waste time waiting for a cushy job I didn't deserve), and then kicked ass at it and built a career

Shit wasn't that hard if you didn't get hosed on a mortgage

I'm in my mid 30s and doubt I'd be able to pass the physical exams.

>If you're capable of writing that sentence and using Sup Forums by yourself you can easily get a GED.
I hope I'd know a thing or two about how to work this site while browsing for 13 years.

My massive delay is mostly due to having no career goals/dreams. I honestly envy the individuals that do.

Yes. Always have been on overnights.

Someone I know is on CAP2. Jesus Christmas you are expected to do everything, but if there is overtime involved, I can tell he's making bank. Not many move on to either higher positions or shifts. The of the