Redpill Me

If I wanted to be a christian do I have to believe every single story the bible tells such as Noah's Ark, Adam and Eve, etc?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/d4EaWPIlNYY
pastebin.com/xMQ9wAwW
youtu.be/feKs7vzH7e4
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1mr9ZTZb3TUYymBPce08oyuhnHLLkR_B
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1mr9ZTZb3TW70EEo4e2onJ4lq1QYSzrY
youtube.com/watch?v=5znVUFHqO4Q
youtube.com/watch?v=ay_Db4RwZ_M
youtube.com/watch?v=KnkNKIJ_dnw
youtube.com/watch?v=_NAOc6ctw1s
youtube.com/watch?v=4iyxR8uE9GQ
youtube.com/watch?v=oAxPHWF8aec
youtube.com/watch?v=6lEmch2OAhs
youtube.com/watch?v=XvR4zGnwRD0
youtube.com/watch?v=wiWKifMu6f8
youtube.com/watch?v=u0v6JItV5-w&list=PLFB1EE14B97D1F55E
youtube.com/watch?v=qzPOTeo9BR8
youtube.com/watch?v=nkllFXIsV6M
youtu.be/GUCx6JszsRc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes, & god/the Holy ghost, has already translated his word, found only in traditional Catholicism.

Depends on the branch of Christianity, of which there are many.

Traditional Catholicism go to it.

You have to understand that the Bible is written in a spiritual language - in which a lot of your preconceptions of the meaning of words (their literal and worldly meaning) doesn't apply. Same goes with stories.

Those stories are more for establishing the Nature and relationship between God, Mankind and the Universe - and set the stage for the coming covenant that Jesus Christ came to fulfill.

It doesn't make as much sense until you see the whole picture (that is Christ's coming to fulfill the covenant)

just avoid Catholicism and read the KJV

It's about a relationship with the Creator, Jesus Christ. It's not about denomination. That fools you into thinking you're saved, when Jesus plainly says who will be saved multiple times throughout the gospels. Doing the magic/"holy" thing at the altar or singing songs with your "Christian" rock band in "church" does not save you.

Matthew 7:21 - Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Read the gospels and take everything Jesus said literally. Because He wasn't kidding around or joking when He spoke. He is the Word of God, and whenever God speaks to men we should be listening, and not trying to interpret if there is a clear literal understanding as to what is being said. For example, when Jesus said to cut off your hand if it causes you to sin, He means it literally and figuratively. As in separate yourself from the things that cause you to sin in your life. And if you keep sinning after that, well cutting your hand off will stop you from it.

>kike on a stick
>redpilled

pick one

>do I have to believe every single story the bible tells such as Noah's Ark, Adam and Eve, etc?
No OP. The majority of those stories are in my opinion, allegorical, anyway.
The meaning of the stories matter far more than whether they're factual or not.

and don't worry too much about which denomination is best. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Being a disciple of Christ, as by the revelation through the bible, is the main thing.

I was raised a Catholic but despise how much emphasis it has on icons, glorifying Mary as if she was more than a saint, saying you HAVE to accept the Church's teachings and authority etc.

Although I do admire it's link to tradition and the rich history it has from the early church fathers.

I admire Lutheranism for its austerity and emphasise on relying solely on the Bible. Although sometimes I find they can be too fundamental (e.g. literally believing some of the stores). Did they happen? Does it matter? What's more important is what they mean for us to apply to our living today

Books I suggest reading are any of the Gospels (Mark is the shortest, John is good and symbolic, Luke and Matt are also good each with a different focus on aspects of Jesus), Sirach, Ecclesiastes, Job.

Brother all you gotta do is believe that Jesus Christ is the risen Lord and Savior. That none come to the Father except through him. Will you pray to Jesus with me? For our souls.

the stories arent supposed to be taken literally you DING DONG

This is so wrong it hurts. Genesis (well the first 5 books of the Bible, really) was written like a history book. That is, to be understood by the Jews as fact.

It's simple. You don't have to go to church if you don't want to.

Obey the Ten Commandments
Be aware of the Seven Deadly Sins
Read up on the life of Jesus Christ, and be aware that he has been whitewashed in modern times. Jesus was NOT a nice person.

and that's about it. If you decide to go to church, make sure the people who go to it are good people. Most catholic churches are jewish scams. Real great churches are not gaudy and have community centers attached and have tons of functions and charity events attached. You know you are going to the right church when people from the MIDDLE CLASS go there. Avoid churches with mainly poor folk or rich folk/out of touch folk. Middle Class Churches. remember that.

Keep it as simple as you need to fit in your lifestyle. If any part of your experience promotes legit fear in your heart, you're probably doing something wrong. All about positive vibes. Righteous Indignation. Shit like that.

The events like the exodus happened, of course, but that doesn't mean that everything has to be taken literally as fact

Does God expect us to believe that there were only TWO humans in the beginning, which, despite scientific laws and heredity, somehow ended up making 7 000 000 000 people today? Or that a flood killed EVERYONE on the planet except for one family and a couple of animals?

I'm not saying it's necessarily wrong, but I'm saying it's not necessarily factual either

This is irrelevant to the real meat of salvation; the will of the Father. We can learn whether or not this was so when we meet Jesus and can ask Him, or maybe even see Adam.

I think the stories are true but simplified. I think Adam was the first man, but not the only one God created (where did cain get his wife?). Also (and this is next level stuff) some of the translations are simplified for common folk. I think God preserved His Word, but there are definitely small translation changes that make a huge difference to those that really dig deep. Sort of an extra layer for those beyond the Sunday morning crowd.

>Jesus was NOT a nice person.
What do you mean?

From the research I've conducted on Sup Forums. It seems like Lutheranism is the best Protestant branch and maybe best faction of Christianity.

>denying historical evidence
>redpilled

kek

I just want to muh crusades.
I'm actually Protestant but I went to Catholic school so I know the ropes.

exactly my thoughts, brother. just wanted to clarify my position regarding the historical accuracy of the bible

Likewise. And comes in that other factor about the understanding of the meaning of words - as you said the common folk, take meaning at a very superficial or literal, physical level - whereas much of the meaning is encoded spiritually. Pic related

Mormonism is the way to go.

There is a difference between being nice and being kind. Being kind is something beyond this world (love) in which you put the Will of the Other before your own will. This means sacrifice.

You can be nice and not sacrifice much, or be polite - do worldly things without any love behind it. That was what Jesus did

E.G. Jesus blasted the Pharisee's frequently, and I don't think people would have viewed that as very nice, or when he whipped them out of the temple.

The important thing is to accept Christ as your lord and savior and do your best to follow his teaching and God's commandments(I say do your best because you're human, you will fall into sin as you aren't perfect)

no
modern day christianity in a nushell:
> it is a possibility that there is a higher being that created earth & the universe
> love thy neighbor

Yes and no, Jesus Christ is the focus of Christianity, but the writers of the bible were not meant to write it as a science book

this guy gets it

What made you leave

new testament esp. the sermon on the mount
be catholic, fuck everyone else

>Historical eviden
>Muh 7000 years
Off yourself christian scum.

Catholics don't take every story in the Bible literally you goober.

The Bible is meant to be read contextually and not literally. Our priest has told us this several times in Catholic class. The word is literal truth, but that doesn't mean it's the whole story or exact. I. E. There WAS a flood and Noah survived it but the details may be a little fuzzy.

Well, I think you would be surprised at how many "fanciful tales" actually have some substantial basis in history.

That being said, the two that you mentioned, Noah's Ark and Adam and Eve, are up for much debate. I believe that the importance of those moments stretches beyond their literal meaning. You're not placing your faith in a flood. You're not placing your faith in Adam and Eve and original sin. You ARE placing your faith in God and Christ.

I wouldn't be caught up in "What denomination do I have to believe in to be saved" or "What books do I have to believe in specifically" or such things. God will give you faith and strength in time, if your motives are truthful.

That being said, I think it is important to note that throughout all the "crazy stories" in the Old Testament, the single connected thread through them all, foretold by the prophets hundreds of years in advance, is Christ. And the books therefore have merit and are good for learning, and learning about God who created you and loves you. So please don't discard them if you find Genesis hard to believe. Or your find r/atheists trying to blow you up over it. There are elements to it that everyone wrestles with. That's the nature of faith.

TL;DR Don't put too much stock in the semantics of belief. Put trust in God, and have a desire to know His truth and it will come in time. Best wishes.

No mention of confession. Enjoy Hell, heretic.

Maybe not, but what would be better is to read the bible, and know it well

I would recommend an easy translation: one would be the New Living Translation, or also the Easy To Read Version

This is terrible advice, oh my goodness.

The only truthful thing is that Jesus has been watered down.

It's not anything about positive vibes. It's not anything about feeling good.

Christ told us to DIE DAILY. He told us to give up everything we had and follow him. He told us to take up our crosses and follow him.

It's not about being comfortable. It's not about following "just enough to fit your life". No! Screw your life! Screw mine! Screw everyone's "lifestyle"! Jesus didn't die on the cross, to wash us of our sins, to restore our relationship with the God who CREATED EVERYTHING, just so we can be complacent.

That's the worst advice I've ever heard!

OP please. Whatever you do, don't follow that user's advice.

The Lord said in Revelation 3,
"These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

Don't be lukewarm!

you misunderstand my positive vibes with feeling comfortable. That's YOUR idea of positive vibes, not mine

top fucking kek @ you unironically projecting your insecurities onto me.

It's a literal old forced onto meme, but the morals are good.

They're a metaphorical story according to the Catholic Church.

Well, if that's a misunderstanding of what you meant, then at the very least it was a terrible way to phrase what you meant.

The majority of Christians that are around where I am can't name any of the books of the Bible, and quote Bob Ross and think it's Jesus. Because they do "just enough" and they "obey the 10 commandments" and they think and say just about what you wrote.

It's not my insecurities. It's the Word of God. Think what you will.

Its all metaphors. Take from the stories what is useful to your life.

All you have to do is believe that Jesus is the Son of God who died for you (John 3:16). Read the Bible and let the Holy Spirit speak to you.

Plenty of people of faith have different interpretations of the stories in the Bible. Some stories are indeed written as allegories, as that was the style for old Jewish writers. Others are written as histories.

There are, however, much bigger issues which are common to all Christians (see pic related).

God bless.

Also:

Mark 9:38-48 New King James Version (NKJV)
Jesus Forbids Sectarianism

>38 Now John answered Him, saying, “Teacher, we saw someone who does not follow us casting out demons in Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow us.”

>39 But Jesus said, “Do not forbid him, for no one who works a miracle in My name can soon afterward speak evil of Me. 40 For he who is not against us is on our side. 41 For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink in My name, because you belong to Christ, assuredly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.

Start by focusing on the gospels.

>Others are written as histories.
On this note, check this out

This for me 2,
I wonder how many people on the planet currently want to crusade

>If I wanted to be a christian do I have to believe every single story the bible tells such as Noah's Ark, Adam and Eve, etc?

Nah, only retarded Baptists and Evangelicals believe that shit...

do not be religious

>just avoid Catholicism and read the KJV

Anglo de l'Alberta détecter...

You said "red pill me", so I will.

Even though you won't believe me, what I'm about to tell you is the truth. If you're very lucky, you will eventually find this out for yourself...

1. God exists. He exists not as a theory and not as a concept of the universe as a whole, but as an actual thinking real individual.

2. God communicates directly with every human being. You've been doing so your whole life, but you don't know it because you hear him as the voice you hear in your head.

3. When you first learn to listen, it is very easy to convince yourself (and for others to convince you) that you are insane.

4. But God will offer undeniable proof to you if you ask. But, and here's where it gets kind of funny... the proof is not transferable. The proof will absolutely convince you of the truth, but will not be anything that can convince others.

5. The bible, aside from all of the stories and moral lessons, is primarily a guide to prepare you for what I say in 1-4. It mentions it directly a few times, but it gets lost in everything else. But when read in its totality, it is a guidebook for the self-discovery of God within.

6. Once you have a personal relationship with God, that supersedes all other teachings, the bible, your pastors, or history.

7. The religion that most closely recognizes these facts is the Quakers. Their entire philosophy is based on these things.

8. Protip.... there is no such thing as a random thought in your head. If you didn't think it, someone else did.

he didn't leave, he just went to catholic school. Not uncommon.

>The religion that most closely recognizes these facts is the Quakers. Their entire philosophy is based on these things.

Tell me that your a troll, Bubba...

fucking creep stop posting this random ugly hoe you will never touch

>fucking creep

Anime must be your kind of stuff, Bubba Dean...

Not at all. I'm talking about the theology (if you can even call it that). I'm not talking about the hats or the dude that sells oatmeal.

Basically their service is a bunch of people sitting in a room, with no one talking. It is time to reflect and communicate with the almighty. And if the spirit calls them to speak, people speak and then sit back down.

It's kind of like the Atlas Shrugged of religions.

One of the most pathetic things I've ever read.

Still, it's just another anglo power trip like any denomination that come from Anglicanism..

I always found the stories to be vehicles of context to teach a lesson about something abstract in a time before everyone had enough education/academic material at their disposal to become their own personal philosophers.

>traditional Catholicism.
you can't even give evidence for mary worship

No, you don't have to but believing in Adam doesn't necessarily preclude evolution. If you are on Sup Forums I'm assuming your fairly conservative so you are probably going to want to go to a Baptist Church.

Here is my cut and past list of Sup Forums approved churches:

Baptist, the vast majority are conservative but there are some exceptions

Non-denomination/evangelical, same as Baptist

Pentecostal, mostly conservative but they are really weird. Their whole thing is about speaking in tongues, if you do want to try them stay away from the United Pentecostal Church.

Presbyterian, Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) is the conservative denomination. Presbyterian Church (USA) is cucked.

Lutheran, Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod (LCMS) and Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) are both conservative but WELS is the most conservative. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is super cucked, calls God a women sometimes.

Methodist, The United Methodist Church is the only big one in the USA and it has both conservative and liberal churches in it, both the Clintons and George Bush are members of it.

Anglican/Episcopalian, The Episcopalian church is cucked beyond belief, the much smaller Anglican Church in North America is the main conservative alternative but there are some other small breakaways.

Most of the other smaller things like Church of Christ, Seventh-day Adventist Church, ect are usually conservative.
I can do the same for Canada if anyone would need that.

>research
>Sup Forums
Pick one, faggot

>if you find Genesis hard to believe
if so, check this out
youtu.be/d4EaWPIlNYY
It's a very cogent interpretation of Genesis which I, as a Christian, had never considered. (Pay attention to when he states what the Bible says God was doing after the 6th "day" of creation; "stretching out" the heavens. Cool stuff.)

Half of these retarded churches have women Priest...

Be a mormon, its eaiser to believe

I don't have an issue with that but even if they technically allow it I've never been to a conservative church with a female priest/pastor.

Thing is, Jesus refers himself to Old Testament books, so he knew them and legitimized them. He also said he did not remove one iota of the law, but came to fulfill the law.

For example, he refers to Genesis and "therefore they shall become one flesh" when talking about a man and a woman.

He also refers to Habakuk and other prophets. He also talks about hell more than any other prophet in the bible.

>Does God expect us to believe that there were only TWO humans in the beginning, which, despite scientific laws and heredity, somehow ended up making 7 000 000 000 people today? Or that a flood killed EVERYONE on the planet except for one family and a couple of animals?
This was the standard view among Christians and Jews until the 18th century.

On June 27, 1844, an armed mob with blackened faces stormed Carthage Jail where Joseph and Hyrum were being held. Hyrum, who was trying to secure the door, was killed instantly with a shot to the face. Smith fired a pepper-box pistol that a friend had lent him for self-defense, then sprang for the window. He was shot multiple times before falling out the window, crying, "Oh Lord my God!" He died shortly after hitting the ground, but was shot several times more before the mob dispersed. Five men were later tried for his murder, but all were acquitted. Smith was buried in Nauvoo, and is currently interred there at the Smith Family Cemetery.

"Oh Lord my God!"

Fuckers are pro immigration though

Otherwise based

United Methodist here,

Great experience, holds christian values but hasn't cast aside people gone astray like gays, rather tries to save them and bring them in (youth group experience). Talks about good things like helping the poor without saying "Trump is evil lmao", or any other overtly political statements.

Hard to come out of a methodist service feeling pissed off, the sermon usually leads you to think rather than be depressed or have your blood boil in hate

>I've never been to a conservative church with a female priest/pastor.

Yeah but you've been to one that allow faggots mariages and all the other bullshit...

this

christianity is for the cucks

mate if you actually knew shit about the bible you wouldn't be asking this question

>United Methodist here,
>Great experience, holds christian values but hasn't cast aside people gone astray like gays, rather tries to save them and bring them in (youth group experience).
Not gonna work, Bubba...these faggots love them BBC's...

No I haven't, only the very liberal churches like the United Church of Canada allows gay marriage and I never nor would I ever go to one of those churches.

Funny enough we had two black gay/trannies?. I did my best to try to convince them not to cut their dick off. Dont know what happened to them. Last I heard the youth director told them they probably shouldn't go to church in drag.

I always appreciated that we tried to bring these people in and help them rather then, say, my friend's cult where God told my friend to not talk to me anymore.

>I always appreciated that we tried to bring these people in and help them rather then, say, my friend's cult where God told my friend to not talk to me anymore.

Brah, these fags are not gonna change...they like getting it in the ass and that's how it is...

Lukewarm people will make compromises and go halfway.

I'm going to give you what helped me find a path to going all the way into my faith. God speed.

I can't buy into Mormonism as a religion, but it seems like one hell of a life hack. Seem like the most genuinely happy and kind people around.

How demeaning, and how sad someone would be so demeaning.

I am going to recommened a book called The Genesis Account which should help you understand why you are espousing long disproven arguments about Genesis not being history.

Genesis is clearly written as history and should be understood as such. A lot of science falsely called so twists data to be against the Biblical story even if it doesn't make sense.

I will also unironically tell you to go to Creation.com

ot = fun stories to learn lessons from
nt = embellished history

the rational christian is necessarily catholic

pastebin.com/xMQ9wAwW

Here.

Kinda funny how a fucktard can lie is way to the top...

I'll check out the book friend. I've browsed that site a while back when I was really into Christian apologetic's. At the end of the day - whether or not it did or didn't happen as the bible stated - there is 100% certainty God created the world and the meaning from which the bible stories give us is the Truth. However, I will look more into this aspect of the Bible.

Why don't you ask a priest instead of a group of Nazi autists?

>No Orthodox Church

Stay away from papist dogs

Yes, but get this

Creationism isn't real, the flood was local, evolution is real, Christ did rise from the grave

biologos.org

Read the language of God by francis collins, it argues for theistic evolution.

(1/2)

Lel at all the Protestants cucks in their wood shed...

youtu.be/feKs7vzH7e4

What I found most convincing (after I was convinced that a god exists, mind you), is the historical evidence for the resurrection of Christ and the reliability of the New Testament documents.
I have here linked two YouTube playlists, which investigate the Resurrection and the reliability of the New Testament.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1mr9ZTZb3TUYymBPce08oyuhnHLLkR_B
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1mr9ZTZb3TW70EEo4e2onJ4lq1QYSzrY

If you want to look at the evidence of the resurrection in particular, check out the work of Gary Habermas, NT Wright, and William Lane Craig (will link if you're interested). If you want more info about the reliability of the New Testament documents, check out Daniel Wallace (again, will link if interested).
Habermas:
youtube.com/watch?v=5znVUFHqO4Q
youtube.com/watch?v=ay_Db4RwZ_M

Wright:
youtube.com/watch?v=KnkNKIJ_dnw

Craig
youtube.com/watch?v=_NAOc6ctw1s
youtube.com/watch?v=4iyxR8uE9GQ
youtube.com/watch?v=oAxPHWF8aec

Wallace:
youtube.com/watch?v=6lEmch2OAhs
youtube.com/watch?v=XvR4zGnwRD0
youtube.com/watch?v=wiWKifMu6f8
youtube.com/watch?v=u0v6JItV5-w&list=PLFB1EE14B97D1F55E

Bonus round: J Warner Wallace (former professional detective studies the reliability of the New Testament claims):
youtube.com/watch?v=qzPOTeo9BR8
youtube.com/watch?v=nkllFXIsV6M

Sorry if I'm bombarding and alienating you with (long) YouTube links, but there really is so much evidence out there in favour of Christianity, you can't ignore it.

delet this

Prots don't want to worship Maria but they're ok with freaking female priests...incroyable.

Yes. You are not to add. You are not to substract. You are to divide. This is the Church Age so Christ's blood saves if you believe and you become a new creation. Just like will happen to heaven and earth after Christ returns and he might (probably) will do the codes with us for 1,000. Then final judgment. Jerusalem is presently trampled by cows. He is Final Adam. Read Concordant Literal Version free online

Not in MY church user

Don't lie Bubba Joe...

youtu.be/GUCx6JszsRc

>Do I have to believe every story
You dont need to believe it if its true. Or you know, you can trust what some guy said that we all came from a ONE mutated cell that became a fish, somehow grows legs, turns into a reptile and walks on land, grows fur, becomes mammal, becomes monkey/ape, becomes human...

Thanks for the links! Can't wait to check them out!