Why haven't you taken the minimalist pill yet Sup Forums ?

Why haven't you taken the minimalist pill yet Sup Forums ?

youtu.be/vHWjnH3F7wg

>Influenced by the spare aesthetic of Zen Buddhism, these minimalists buck the norm in a fervently consumerist society by dramatically paring back their possessions.

>Sasaki, once a passionate collector of books, CDs and DVDs, became tired of keeping up with trends two years ago.

>“I kept thinking about what I did not own, what was missing,” he said.

>He spent the next year selling possessions or giving them to friends.

>Minimalism was first used in the realms of politics and the arts to mean those who believed in the ideal of reducing everything to a bare minimum

Regarding zen buddhism, search YouTube for Alan Watts! He will activate your almonds big league.

I gotta do this. What about books though?

All you need is a laptop, clothes and a bed. Clutter causes mental illness

Lived like this for years, a bed, a table, a computer, a sofa, some chairs and a lightbulb.

Who needs a bunch of books and dvd's when you have the internet and a 2tb external drive? Waste of space dust collectors

only when it comes to taxes lmao

>no guns

You have to go back.

>Clutter causes mental illness
Exactly
Used to be a hoarder, not wanting to throw away things I don't needed anymore then I applied the konmari minimalist method, threw away a bunch of stuff and started to feel a lot less anxious and depressed

Internet. Digital storage. Kindle, etc

I recommend the Minimalism documentary on Netflix, a little cheesy and shit at times but it has a good message and doesn't try to force you into a minimalist lifestyle, It focuses more on only keeping/having things that add value to your life

like asked about books, the documentary covers it this exact question and one of the guys says he truly enjoys reading out of physical books and gains satisfaction from them and that makes it justifiable to himself

Minimalism is great, just understand there is a difference between what a lot of people think is minimalism and what it really is, it's about cutting out things/possessions that do not add value to your life

>I gotta do this. What about books though?
If it fits in a few bookshelf it isn't much of an issue imo. If you start stacking them on a table and it starts to encroach on your space then you have a problem.

hoarding goes for your digital life too
a cluttered disorganised computer is no different from your living space

>tfw I just make my desktop icons and shit invisible

Thats depressive as fuck. I want my home to represent my personality, the things i like and my history and not be a collection of literally nothing.

>there is a difference between what a lot of people think is minimalism and what it really is
the "no-true-minimalist" meme
>less is more
>less but better
>as little design as possible

minimalism is wonderful for focus and relieving stress. it's not ideal if you're looking to plant roots, build a family, and exist within a community.

>le drug wizzard

now i see why its a trend in Japan

>I want my home to represent my personality
What does it say about your personality that it needs that kind of exhibition?

> I want my home to represent my personality, the things i like and my history
Why would you want that? What do you gain by that?

I live in a 3200sqft house alone so I have not much reason to do this.

Any tips on taking a good first step?

how do I stop having 47 tabs open at all times

close them? in all honesty just start trying to remember where you find things or to bookmark things instead into organized folders, also don't bookmark too much

What your desribing is depressing