Tipping has gotten totally out of control

Tipping has gotten totally out of control.

Old Fag here.

When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's a good tip was around 5%. and if you went above and beyond all expectations maybe you got 10%.

Today's automatic 18-22% is completely fucking insane. You are socially expected to tip that.

FOR EXAMPLE:

It was my daughters birthday and we went to a nice restaurant. with drinks and meals for 6 the tab ended up at around $350.00. we spent maybe 15 minutes at the bar and a little over an hour at the table before we went and caught a show.

our waitress was nothing special. she did her job and basically took our order and brought food and drinks back and forth. she had 4-6 other tables just like us.

society says I have to tip her 70 fucking dollars? for what? who here gets payed almost 50 dollars an hour? not to mention the otehrs tables bringing her closer to maybe 200-300 an hour?

what the fuck? is she a brain surgeon?

Look. its not that i dont want these people to make a good living. i just think their employer should take care of it. it shouldnt be charity from tippers. at least that way they would have to pay taxes on it instead of taking home fistfulls of cash every night and dodging the IRS im sure.

and dont get me started on everyone else. it seems like everybody wants a tip these days. haircut... tip. pizza... tip. taxi ride... tip. I mean jesus christ. I dont tip my doctor when he saves my fucing life. why should i tip you for bringing a plate for here to there?

TLDR: tipping is an okay system to ensure good service but it has gotten out of control and needs to be brought back down to 5-8%% MAX

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RnHaTlI1p7o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Tipping
>tfw living in a country where no tips

yeah. hows that work?

still get decent service?

Is food expensive or what?

>spend 350 fucking dollars at a restaurant
>too trashy to tip adequately

You're the scourge of the restaurant. Just so you know, your waitress was telling every other girl working there about how disgusting, fat and smelly you and your family was.

>acting entitled to someone elses money after you made fun of them

I used to work in service and would only get the occasional tip maybe once or twice a month and at the end of the year, never expected to get a tip just for doing my job. Pathetic.

I once brought a party of 11 to a nice restaurant. I asked if they added mandatory gratuity for large parties. They said they do in the restaurant but not the bar. I said to seat us in the bar.

Maybe try that?

what?

I didn't say that I didn't tip ya fucking ass hat. I am saying that the % has gotten totally fucked.

and who gives a shit what some random person i will never see again thinks about me?

its not about the money. its not like it broke the bank.

its the fact that this unskilled plate delivery person is making more than most lawyers per hour.

does it make any sense?

It's a social obligation, not a written law.
If you don't want to tip, don't.

You can be an ass, but no one is going to care. The the employees complain, it just makes them look worst than if they didn't.

I just skip places that expect a tip. I'll go somewhere nice for a special occasion and tip if the service merits it.

Thank god for revolving sushi.

It's actually less expensive than American restaurants most of the time, and service is always good as people don't actually want to get fired from a decent-paying job.

Wife and daughter worked at waitresses

I am guilted into paying 20%

Remember that they are whores that talk on the phone all day long and fuck niggers

I hope they never get any more tips for doing their jobs

stupid lazy fuckers

>18-20%
Since fucking when?
I tip around 10% most of the time. If I like you you get a bit more, like this guy at a restraint I eat lunch at by my work, He always knows my basic drink order and the way I like certain shit and I get served fast as fuck when he's my server because he always knows I'm on lunch, he's attentive and no super yes man with me and always brings me my bill quick. That guy gets a straight %15 every time.

And he's telling the internet what an entitled cunt she was, so it balances out.

Ramp up those dicks, here comes the Entitlement Police.

Guess what? I stopped tipping a long time ago.

Deliveries are a different beast, they have to pay for their own cars and gas

But anything else, unless you were so good I remember your service months later, it's 10%

>tfw the maximum I have tipped in life is 3$

if you dont like tipping, then dont go where you tip, fucking cheap kike

Well they probably have to split those tips with the bus boy and bar, so it's not quite as bad as you think. But I get what you're saying. And I agree

nice reddit formatting my dude

do consider fucking off back there

Nobody has mentioned yet how the goyim waiters/waitresses are stuck making $2.13 an hour (way below minimum wage) because there's a loophole that allows boss Horwisteinberg to pay them this amount because the tips earned help "close the gap" to the minimum wage requirement. The customer is essentially expected to pay what the employer should be paying the employee on top of the money the customer already pays for the goods and inclusive services (cooking, serving, etc.).

Really makes you think.

>what the fuck?
Don't go there again. Tell the manager that it is criminal to FORCE someone to pay a specific tip.

I worked as a server for quite a while. Another trick is to ask for a few seperate checks, to keep under the "minimum" amount of guests to keep from automatically being billed for the tip.

Then you can tip based on actual work done.

Once I would get a large table, they literally were not my list. It was guaranteed money unless I totally blew it.

Tips suck. I usually start at 20% assuming I am getting perfect service....as things go downhill, the tip does as well.

This is why grocery always win, especially specialized ones with cheaper prices

Why would I support single mothers who fucked up?

>TLDR: tipping is an okay system to ensure good service but it has gotten out of control and needs to be brought back down to 5-8%% MAX

So tip less

You know i agree. Except I tip well after getting a haircut, if I like the lady. Then I go back and she puts extra time in.
However, fuck tipping at restaurants.
I can train a 13yr old to probably do a better job then these 20yr olds who fuck off and foget your order then give attitude when you ask for something extra.
Fuck tipping in general

I used to work for a little independent ice cream shop and I managed and carried out their catering for a few years, and I was PISSED if I didn't get a decent (at least 20%) tip and I'll tell you why:

I got paid a bullshit wage of like 9.50 per hour for this job, and the catering took extra time and effort and planning for me to go through. For instance, scooping 500 scoops into little cups, and then portioning out toppings for sundaes and preparing them for transport is not easy or fast.

Then I'd have to get everything ready lug around a 60lb freezer and drive there and set up, clean up afterwards, and take everything back.
It may only look like I've set up a table and distributed "prescooped" cups, which doesn't take much effort, but damn that was a lot of work for 9.50 per hour to not get any tip.

I'm so glad I quit and got a better job.

>you can be an ass

OP didn't say that, he said tipping expectations are too high

Kill yourself wagecuck

You don't understand. When you eat out with parties of 6+ (sometimes the requirement is as low as 4 or more) gratuity is automatically tacked onto the bill with a minimum of 15% in most cases, and now upwards of 18%.

>you should tip 20% because sob stories

You'll get 10% or you'll get nothing you fucking cuckold

I haven't tipped since 2010 and I don't plan on ever doing it again
Why would I pay you for doing your job?
That's what your employer is for.

A semi decent restaurant can pull in a million dollars a year for the owner. After all the bills are paid. Paying your employees is a joke. The chef and bartenders are a different story. Chefs can make 75k a year. Liquor sales is where they make the profit. The food end just balances out the bills/payments. The alcohol sales alone can generate 300k a year profit. Easy.

I wonder if (((someone))) is behind it.

350 dollars for a party of six? Why do you enjoy wasting money on food that probably wasn't any good?

Also, waiters and waitresses get too much money. Handling a dozen tables in an hour easy. Can only imagine the bank you can make at a high-end restaurant. Yet those fuckers can barely do their job right, are aloof, bitchy and have the audacity to complain.

t. Steve Buschemi

Waiters are the most whiny pathetic people you'll ever meet.

15 minutes at my table, I don't care what the bill is, If I give you 5 bucks that's $20/h to carry very light stuff back and forth.

So many shitheads that aren't worth a shit, waiting because they aren't worth a shit, and then whining and complaining.

Also, they have no idea what financial situation the person they wait on is.

What if the guy had to scrounge every cent to take his woman to nice place once a year? Well that guys a fucking piece of shit if he doesn't tip the $20 he doesn't have. Ask any waiter.

>I got paid a bullshit wage of like 9.50 per hour for this job
you filled out the job application, stop complaining you faggot

>I'm so glad I quit and got a better job.
Know you are talking like a man

bunch of pussy faggots complaining about tipping

youtube.com/watch?v=RnHaTlI1p7o

so tip 5-8% then you faggot, who is making you tip more? your own weak ass self?

stfu and kys

>Make fun of your customers
>Expect them to tip you

Never ever ever ever use a credit/debit card at a hotel when eating. I left and they chaged a 25% tip onto my bill. After I left got the bill online. I got a pizza and a few drinks. Literally $48 after the tip and tax.

A thing you're hitting at too but not mentioning is there is no scale either. A waiter at an upper type steakhouse will do roughly the same as the one at Applebees, but the bill will be $150 for one and $30 for the other. So a $30 tip vs 6 for maybe a little more effort and service but certainly not 5x the amount.

Already agree with the rest tipping culture is insane. Was an entry level infrastructure engineer for an insurance company and my then gf was making more waiting tables per/hr at a middling restaurant.

That "bullshit" is called your fucking job you lazy nigger.

> I'm a member of the service industry, and we've got SUCH a rough life. Customers are ASSHOLES, but we feign passable courtesy if they meet the arbitrary tipping standards. Otherwise we bitch and moan and plot their downfall. Where's my sugar daddy so I can leave all this serfdom behind

I always tip 20%. Stop being a cheap asshole.

>not knowing about mandatory gratuity of large parties or bothering to read the thread

Yeah. Googles and your people since you guys regularly congregate in packs of 6 or more like animals. Sure enough, as the stereotype goes, you lot also don't tip worth shit, so it's ruined for everyone else and it's automatically added to the bill.

It's always interesting watching old movies. The tipping scene from Reservoir Dogs, for example (admittedly not even a very old one). Where Nice Guy Eddie says he'd go above 12%, implying that's a pretty generous tip. These days, that's at the lower end of what's expected and would probably be considered a minimum by most.

"You and your family was"

Americans can't even use their own language correctly

>mandatory gratuity

OP says he wants the employer to deal with it.

This is how the employer deals with it.

I lol'd

I tip 5 or 20%

>independent ice cream shop
>carried out their catering
>I didn't get a tip

I doubt most people would even consider to tip from the get-go.

Wtf I would ask for my money back

You piece of lard

Tipping activates my social anxiety so I pretty much never eat out to avoid it, unless its a place I know they wont ask for a tip.

A bowl of lobster bisque and a bowl of chicken noodle soup both weigh the same. In bringing you this bowl the waiter does the same amount of work, but the waiter with the lobster bisque will earn far more money.

Tipping should be proportional to the number of plates carried, drinks served and refilled, and quality of service

went to spain for vacation, great food and the non tipping is even better.

People ask for a tip in usa? Wtf, I thought it was a sign of a good will, because the waiter did a good job and you wanted to reward him. What bullshit is that? I would never give money to someone who asks me to tip him.

Food in Spain is very good end extremely cheap, and restaurant owners were the best I've seen (especially around Valencia)
I'm a frog so you know I'm not biased towards our islamic neighbhors

If you can't afford to tip decently, you can't fucking afford to eat out.

BUT.

Society is not making you go out to restaurants.

Cook your own god damn meals.

>expects free extra money for doing his job

Who's the kike?

>Doesn't understand basic supply and demand

Idk who's the kike, but i know who's the nigger.

Nice blogpost you fucking boomer hurry up and die so we can clean your mess without feels

Is it honestly possible to get an hourly income of 300+ dollars working as a waitress there? I get like one tenth of that and my job requires about a century of education.

Yeah, by lying to the customer in the form of listed prices being so low that they have to charge you a freakin surcharge.

I have the redpill you need.

> '60s
> super racist
> White restaurants
> everyone tips
> 5% is sufficient

> post-2015
> shitskins everywhere
> niggers don't tip, and usually berate the server to get free gibs
> Whites have to tip 20% to make up for the niggers who tip negative 100%

that sound about right?

>Yeah, by lying to the customer in the form of listed prices being so low that they have to charge you a freakin surcharge.

They only do it in higher end places where the person paying knows about it going in.

If you want to be a cheap shit, eat at a shit diner.

The unspoken social etiquette in America is like some sort of royal courtship jousting. You've to walk on eggshells for fear of transgressing their intuitive, make it up as you go along rules, or they get rectally offended and call the sheriff. No wonder it's the spawning ground of every rabid feminist and sjw trend in existence.

I'll be certain to consider the opinions of the minimum wage plate monkeys as to where I may choose to spend the fruits of my own labor.

Yeah I knew servers who made over 70k a year and lied on their tax returns too

>stuck making $2.13 an hour (way below minimum wage)
Wrong.

If they make less than minimum wage after tips are factored in, the employer must split the difference, bringing them up to minimum wage.

I'm going to USA for vacation next week and I'm not going to tip even once lol

There are also some cities and states (such as California) where they are required by law to get the full minimum wage before tips. Then the tips they receive are just gravy on top of that.

Wait staff are some of the most entitled and whiny losers on the planet.

One way to tell that the meme war is over is seeing tipping threads with 100 replies. Its almost like its 2013 again.

Anyone want to make a circumcision thread next?

This

getting a server wage can only allow you to go past minimum, it is impossible to make less unless you are an idiot who lets your boss fuck you out of your ends

Yeah, that's what it is. I'm cheap. They're not greedy or wrong at all of course. How could a plate jockey every be anything but amazing and genius?

You clearly don't if you think that has anything to do with supply and demand.

If anything, the fact that your income is based on the charity of others proves by said law that you are replaceable by literally anyone and not in demand.

>How could a plate jockey every be anything but amazing and genius?

The gratuity policy is put in place by the management, not the waiters.... duh.

>proves by said law that you are replaceable by literally anyone and not in demand.

Nobody would pay the tip in that case.

>I may choose to spend the fruits of my own labor.
That's exactly my point you knuckle dragging retard.

This. They bitch about not getting a big enough tip from a table they forgot existed for half an hour while they were talking to their friends. Meanwhile the cooks in the back bust ass for 10-14 hours a day at 12 bucks an hour. I have been a waiter and a cook. Trust me waiters are mostly scum until you get to very high priced restaurants.

It's not a policy it's a suggestion. Your quitting is more acceptable to the company than raising prices to grant you a tip and possibly losing customers.

What did you do in your life to wind up waiting tables and think you're entitled to anything? Do you see this as a respectable profession?

>be english
>never tip ever
>no one complains
I never understood your dodgy tipping rule let alone why its 20%.

>Be me
>be wireless network engineer
>my bro-in-law is a mid level waiter and made more than me my first 2 years on the job
And still makes more take home because he doesn't claim half his shit. And he works 3-4 days a week less than 30 hours

What makes a wireless network engineer different than a regular network engineer? I know my ccnp / ccna friends handle wired and wireless - never heard the distinction

I don't like tipping taxi drivers. I don't see any logic in it, it's not like they can give you a "better" cab ride. What's the guy going to do... speed and run red lights for you?

They charge a ridiculous amount in fare. Maybe I wouldn't mind tipping them if they actually gave a decent price.

It can be at 50 bucks a plate and up. But then you are getting a pro waiter (I've never actually had a waitRESS at these kinds of places) who can explain in excruciating detail every item on the menu and good pairings. The guys who can anticipate their customers wishes before the customer realizes they wanted it. Also these guys pull 6 figures.

Fuck off OP, Boomers don't fucking get that waitresses get paid $2.13 an hour, so they live off of tips. Don't want to tip? Demand your crony old friends in government to force companies to pay them decently. Otherwise, keep on tipping, because it's self-evident you don't have a fleeting thought of how hard it is to live without tips.
>Wah, why should I have to pay someone accordingly, have their employer do it
>Wah, I spent $350 on food, can't spare a $50 for the waitress who has to deal with such an entitled prick.

Please do the world a favor and off yourself.

If properly run you can make a crazy profit on food too. Just requires some extra work.

FAKE AND GAY

>It's not a policy it's a suggestion.

Mandatory gratuity is more than a suggestion. It's a policy.

What happened to you in your life that you're so jealous of what a waiter gets paid? If you don't like to tip, eat at places you don't have to. I really don't understand how it's an affront to you.

Do you work in some backbreaking manual labor job for niggers or something?

Do what I do and tip 0 if service is shit, 10% if great, and either way never go to the same restaurant twice. It's more fun and you don't risk getting a turd in your meal.

>loser who brings food to people with money attempts to insult said people with money
Pottery.

There's no tipping allowed in japan.

t. Jewish deli owner

tfw live in australia and hospitality staff get paid $21.50 an hour to provide decent service and dont ruin your experience by asking for money out of pocket.

this actually sounds nice

lol@tipping. getting cucked by servants every time you eat LOL. god americans are such fags

the restaurant shouldn't be operating if the employer cant pay staff. and its a not a shithole and has dozens of customers everynight then the boss is literally stealing the money the staff in entitled to. the staff shouldnt be forced to ask for fucking tips from the customer. that in itself is bad customer service. sue the boss if its that bad. fight for not retarded minimum rates like the rest of the civilized world has in place

That's why your birth rates are so low, no 'just the tip.'