Nietzsche quote

"Face life as you find it, defiantly and unafraid! Waste no energy yearning for the moon! Crush out all sentiment!" - Friedrich Nietzsche

What exactly did Nietzsche mean by this?

It's weird how he constantly praises and shits on the Germans in his books, often in the same sentence.

He meant you should face life as you find it in a defiant and unafraid way. And that you shouldn't waste energy yearning for the moon. Also to crush out all sentiment.

Yes, I agree, but what was his underlying aim with the quote? Break free from what? The god illusion? Man-made morals?

he's big on squashing morals: which is like mind fetters for the slaves and for which masters dont have any use. he was the grandfather of redpilling

Be stoic and only work towards what you can achieve. While the stoic part makes sense, I see yearning for the moon has payed off handsomely nowadays, so I would disagree with him.

It means that you need to live, rather than just exist.

Nietzsche hated stoics

he means
> grow a pair

From being a fag like the brits.

>My conception of freedom. -- The value of a thing sometimes does not lie in that which one attains by it, but in what one pays for it -- what it costs us. I shall give an example. Liberal institutions cease to be liberal as soon as they are attained: later on, there are no worse and no more thorough injurers of freedom than liberal institutions. Their effects are known well enough: they undermine the will to power; they level mountain and valley, and call that morality; they make men small, cowardly, and hedonistic -- every time it is the herd animal that triumphs with them. Liberalism: in other words, herd-animalization.

>These same institutions produce quite different effects while they are still being fought for; then they really promote freedom in a powerful way. On closer inspection it is war that produces these effects, the war for liberal institutions, which, as a war, permits illiberal instincts to continue. And war educates for freedom. For what is freedom? That one has the will to assume responsibility for oneself. That one maintains the distance which separates us. That one becomes more indifferent to difficulties, hardships, privation, even to life itself. That one is prepared to sacrifice human beings for one's cause, not excluding oneself. Freedom means that the manly instincts which delight in war and victory dominate over other instincts, for example, over those of "pleasure." The human being who has become free -- and how much more the spirit who has become free -- spits on the contemptible type of well-being dreamed of by shopkeepers, Christians, cows, females, Englishmen, and other democrats. The free man is a warrior. How is freedom measured in individuals and peoples? According to the resistance which must be overcome, according to the exertion required, to remain on top. The highest type of free men should be sought where the highest resistance is constantly overcome: five steps from tyranny, close to the threshold of the danger of servitude. This is true psychologically if by "tyrants" are meant inexorable and fearful instincts that provoke the maximum of authority and discipline against themselves; most beautiful type: Julius Caesar.

>This is true politically too; one need only go through history. The peoples who had some value, who attained some value, never attained it under liberal institutions: it was great danger that made something of them that merits respect. Danger alone acquaints us with our own resources, our virtues, our armor and weapons, our spirit, and forces us to be strong. First principle: one must need to be strong -- otherwise one will never become strong.

>Those large hothouses for the strong -- for the strongest kind of human being that has so far been known -- the aristocratic commonwealths of the type of Rome or Venice, understood freedom exactly in the sense in which I understand it: as something one has and does not have, something one wants, something one conquers.

Friedrich Nietzsche: Twilight of the Idols (excerpt, part 4)

>The human being who has become free -- and how much more the spirit who has become free -- spits on the contemptible type of well-being dreamed of by shopkeepers, Christians, cows, females, Englishmen, and other democrats. The free man is a warrior.
This has to be one of his best quotes.

Top tier philosophical banter.

Even back then the Anglo was notoriously faggy kek

Nietzche was a low-low homo

>The Hammer Speaks

"Why so hard?" the kitchen coal once said to the diamond. "After all, are we not close kin?"

Why so soft? O my brothers, thus I ask you: are you not after all my brothers?

Why so soft, so pliant and yielding? Why is there so much denial, self-denial, in your hearts? So little destiny in your eyes?

And if you do not want to be destinies and inexorable ones, how can you one day triumph with me?

And if your hardness does not wish to flash and cut through, how can you one day create with me?

For all creators are hard. And it must seem blessedness to you to impress your hand on millennia as on wax.

Blessedness to write on the will of millennia as on bronze -- harder than bronze, nobler than bronze. Only the noblest is altogether hard.

This new tablet, O my brothers, I place over you: Become hard!

He held his "ubermensch" on a highest pedestal.
What he meant by this, is that only one that can take every single mundane moment as a part of life with acceptance. Is a full man.

I was going to come to this thread to trash the guy for being an abstract poetic faggot
But it's surprising to see how spot on he is, still, after all those years he was published, and after one gets acquainted with him earlier in one's life

The guy described the SJW phenomenon over 100 years ago.

>Sick people are the greatest danger for healthy people. For strong people disaster does not come from the strongest, but from the weakest. Are we aware of that? . . . If we consider the big picture, we should not wish for any diminution of the fear we have of human beings, for this fear compels the strong people to be strong and, in some circumstances, terrible—that fear sustains the successful types of people. What we should fear, what has a disastrous effect unlike any other, would not be a great fear of humanity but a great loathing for humanity; similarly, a great pity for humanity. If both of these were one day to mate, then something most weird would at once inevitably appear in the world, the “ultimate will” of man, his will to nothingness, to nihilism. And, as a matter of fact, a great deal of preparation has gone on for this union. Whoever possesses, not only a nose to smell with, but also eyes and ears, senses almost everywhere, no matter where he steps nowadays, an atmosphere something like that of an insane asylum or hospital—I’m speaking, as usual, of people’s cultural surroundings, of every kind of “Europe” there is right here on this earth. The invalids are the great danger to humanity: not the evil men, not the “predatory animals.” Those people who are, from the outset, failures, oppressed, broken— they are the ones, the weakest, who most undermine life among human beings, who in the most perilous way poison and question our trust in life, in humanity, in ourselves. Where can we escape it, that downcast glance with which people carry a deep sorrow, that reversed gaze of the man originally born to fail which betrays how such a man speaks to himself—that gaze which is a sigh. “I wish I could be someone else!”— that’s what this glance sighs. “But there is no hope here. I am who I am. How could I detach myself from myself? And yet—I’ve had enough of myself!”. . .

>These failures: what noble eloquence streams from their lips! How much sugary, slimy, humble resignation swims in their eyes! What do they really want? At least to make a show of justice, love, wisdom, superiority— that’s the ambition of these “lowest” people, these invalids! And how clever such an ambition makes people! For let’s admire the skilful counterfeiting with which people here imitate the trademarks of virtue, even its resounding tinkle, the golden sound of virtue. They have now taken a lease on virtue entirely for themselves, these weak and hopeless invalids—there’s no doubt about that: “We alone are the good men, the just men”—that’s how they speak: “We alone are the homines bonae voluntatis [men of good will].” They wander around among us like personifications of reproach, like warnings to us—as if health, success, strength, pride, and a feeling of power were already inherently depraved things, for which people must atone some day, atone bitterly. O how ready they themselves basically are to make people atone, how they thirst to be hangmen! Among them there are plenty of people disguised as judges seeking revenge. They always have the word “Justice” in their mouths, like poisonous saliva, with their mouths always pursed, always ready to spit at anything which does not look discontented and goes on its way in good spirits. Among them there is no lack of that most disgusting species of vain people, the lying monsters who aim to present themselves as “beautiful souls” and who, for example, carry off to market their ruined sensuality, wrapped up in verse and other swaddling clothes, as “purity of heart,” the species of self-gratifying moral masturbators.

Based

>O how ready they themselves basically are to make people atone, how they thirst to be hangmen! Among them there are plenty of people disguised as judges seeking revenge. They always have the word “Justice” in their mouths, like poisonous saliva, with their mouths always pursed, always ready to spit at anything which does not look discontented and goes on its way in good spirits.
They should have listened.

>Face life as you find it, defiantly and unafraid!

Every person has to confront life. Life is defiant and unafraid in regards to the individual because (1) Life doesn't care about the needs of the individual, and is therefore defiant to his demands, and (2) Life is unafraid of the individual because rarely do individuals have the power to drastically alter the course of their life.

>Waste no energy yearning for the moon!

Basically, don't waste your energies denying your will to power in order to obtain some reward in another world (what Nietzsche calls the Hinterland). This Hinterland is the moon because it appears like a light in the darkness of the night sky, but it is in fact barren and lifeless to those who finally reach it.

>Crush out all sentiment

The energies which go against the will to power have their origins in pity. So sentiment = pity.

nietzsche was a mentally ill loser

stop listening to him

He went mad from revelation and tertiary syphilis.

all his writing are retarded, he was always a nutty loser

that's why he had to go fuck a whore and get syphilis in the first place

>all his writing are retarded
No u

this guy has no authority to say anything on success

he failed to attract a mate despite trying desperately, then he went to the whorehouse and got syphilis and died a lonely sad death

im not a woman you retard

a modern equivialent of nietsche would be some fat neet living in his basement on social security spouting inane bullshit on the internet

>im not a woman
>implying there's a difference in sweden

dude you come from tranny capital

They write like men tho

The whole syphilis story was invented after his death in order to defame him. Most people agree that he had brain cancer.

and i type nothing like that you fucking retard

Don't follow douchebags like Trump and the Republican Party.

He was saying Vulcans are the master race.

I write nothing like that you fucking moron. Just because I used the word loser doesn't mean I'm a woman lmao. Nietsche was objectively a loser, he failed in life, I don't mean loser in the sense how his peers looked at him, i dont give a fuck about that, I mean he literally failed with just about everything.

>I mean he literally failed with just about everything
Clearly he didn't or else we wouldn't be discussing his work well into a century after his death.

Chapter 29. Tarantulas
Thus spoke Zarathustra

>“Vengeance will we use, and insult, against all who are not like us”— thus do the tarantula-hearts pledge themselves.
>“And ‘Will to Equality’— that itself shall henceforth be the name of virtue; and against all that hath power will we raise an outcry!”
It scares the shit out of me how accurate that is.

“In Christianity all of Judaism, a several-century-old Jewish preparatory training and technique of the most serious kind, attains its ultimate mastery as the art of lying in a holy manner. The Christian, the ultima ratio of the lie, is the Jew once more — even three times a Jew.” (sec. 44)

To be fair he avoided being associated with anti-semites and was apologetic of the Jews in some of his books.

>They themselves know very well that the conquest of Europe or any act of violence is not to be thought of; but they also know that some day or other Europe may like a ripe fruit fall into their hands if they do not clutch at it too eagerly.
Also prophetic as fuck.

>This is true politically too; one need only go through history. The peoples who had some value, who attained some value, never attained it under liberal institutions: it was great danger that made something of them that merits respect. Danger alone acquaints us with our own resources, our virtues, our armor and weapons, our spirit, and forces us to be strong. First principle: one must need to be strong -- otherwise one will never become strong.

Damn I always believed this as well. The height of the West came right after WWII, born out of all the hardship that took place during the war. Now it's the opposite: we've had 70 years of peace and it's completely destroying what is left of the West. The cultural decline, the negative birthrates, death of the family unit, the lack of social cohesion, any kind of shared identity, moral degeneracy etc.

Dont be a pathetic daydreamer.

Based

The point is not anti semitism (which is for plebs anyway), the point is that on Sup Forums there lives this idea that Christianity is opposed to Judaism or Jews, when it is the ultimate manifestation of what Jews started. I will be throwing this quote around in the Christcuck threads every now and then.

something something murder all minorities?

he means: kill all "banal platitudes" and affirm life yourself.

Humanity's ultimate goal should be colonizing space, starting with the moon.
Where did everything go wrong?

his opinion on women is epic trolling, he even approaches shopenhauer levels of butthurt.

t. live in the now

his view of the dialectic between master morality and slave morality is extremely based.

The thing with Christianity, or rather the Catholic Church, is that it began as an expression of resentment and revenge, which was the Jewish drive behind it and what rouse the rabble against the status quo, but them turned into an institution that preserved it.

Theologically it started as a lunar, underground cult followed by the lowest castes of society akin to the cult of Isis, but later, after being adopted by the Roman emperors, evolved into something that resembled the solar religion of the Republic.

Nietzsche's critiques of Christianity are usually regarding the psychological factors behind its conception, but nowadays all those "Jewish" traits are found more among atheists (i.e. commies/liberals) than among social conservatives like Christians.

That pic is very nice, btw

master yourself and accept life as it is. do not dwell on what could have been, but affirm reality.

Daily remainder that Nietzsche was a loser in real life. He was a proto keyboard warrior but there were no keyboards back then for him.

this

Kill yourself slut. Your attention whoring has no effect here.

did you say piderman?

>Waste no energy yearning for the moon!
ahahaha fuck you

Agreed to some extent, but not fully.
By holding on to ideals that are outside of the real world, by placing value in things that do not exist, or by even holding on to ideals at all, and thereby devaluing the best, the real things, life has to offer, always placing those at best at the second rank ("you might be rich/smart/goodlooking now, but the poor/dumb/ugly will be sitting next to Jesus"), Christianity keeps on weakening even the strongest humans.

hey, brazilian, what happens after the advent of european nihilism? he hoped to see something AFTER the "death of god" - when the act of belief itself becomes apsurd.

So, what is nihilism today? Was WWII the ultimate active nihilism?

social failure irrelevant at that level of genius dumbass. who cares about "being liked" when your philosophy changes the world? cunty von cunt

>he failed in life

>inspire an entire movement
>one of the most notorious dictators reads your stuff
>remain constantly on the shelves for hundred years
>have musicians, poets, philosophers, still debate your stuff.

You really are a woman you filthy fucking cunt. Or were raised without a father. LOL he loser. GET THE FUCK OUT THERE, suck some dick.

I think there's usefulness in those values even if they atre otherworldly.

If I'm not mistaken Nietzsche talks about how a healthy ruler should use religion to move mankind forward in On The Genealogy of Morals and how his compassion has value (because it comes from life-affirmation and not life-denial or something), but I don't remember the chapter right now.

A new Renaissance of the European soul.

The old and weary of life need to die so that the young may live.

Furthermore, the ever evolving nature of life and the eternal arms race between individuals/groups makes conservatism a nonsensical, even exploitable, strategy. I am talking about conservatism as Christian sheep think of it btw.
I don't like what the West is going through at the moment, but it HAD to happen. Believing in monotheistic precepts just becomes impossible at some point, for more and more people (that matter). I'd say Nietzsche also predicted that pretty well. Such a based brain.

Path of the warrior

Also, got an honorary doctorate at 24. I'd say you're replying to a troll.

He is a nigger obsessed with individualism. Gives no fuck about the greater good or better purpose. Basically, serve yourself cause YOLO xD

fuck that nigger cunt ass faggot

HOLY KEK

top lel, we saw how that went.
it is interesting, but it appears that only europe went through a nihilistic experience. Islam will probably go through it as well, all "revelation" cults probably will.

Still, it failed. T.S.Eliot and his poem "The wasteland" capture that feeling of an endless wasteland devoid of meaning. Yeats wrote metaphysical poetry. But still, to believe is downright impossible.

Greater good is just a shield a weak ego hides behind to get himself a better deal.
People who say they work for a "greater good" (a nebulous and malleable term, typical leftist claptrap) are either lying (to themselves or others) or literally crazy.
By the way, you always help more others by realizing yourself than by "helping" others, but that is above intermediate level knowledge.

>how his compassion has value
It's in BGE, "an outpouring, an excess of power".

Personally I understand conservatism as the period of relative equivalence of powers that follows and precedes the dissolution of society.

The transition of the Roman Republic to Empire and its subsequent fall serves to illustrate that subject. Culturally, Rome changed a lot, but many aspects its way of life passed on to the new Christian Europe that had been born. We tend to think that Christianity invented virtues such as compassion, charity, selfless, chastity, and so on, yet many of those were already found in Roman culture, even if in an embryonic stage. Next century the descendants of those Christians might not believe in a God and still live more or less like their ancestors did. The duality between conservatism and liberalism, status quo and the dissolution of it will remain regardless of whether Christianity survives or not.

All of that is of course related to socioeconomic circumstances and how rural environments develop into urban ones, changing their respective cultures with it, but I'm not really knowledgeable to explain in detail.

>it appears that only europe went through a nihilistic experience
Oswald Spengler describes that nihilistic experience as the "Faustian" civilization in The Decline of the West. It's an interesting read if you're thinking about the future disasters.

Thanks, I always mix the two because you're supposed to read them together.

Can someone bring this man back please?

>The thing with Christianity, or rather the Catholic Church, is that it began as an expression of resentment and revenge, which was the Jewish drive behind it and what rouse the rabble against the status quo, but them turned into an institution that preserved it.

Christianity began as Jewish revenge. The Catholic Church was the imperfect goyish response as the Roman status quo was inexorably altered by it. Just like Islam. Just like Stalinist Russia. Just like American Protestantism. Just like anti-Israel Political Correctness. And probably like Neoconservatism will be one day, or like the Neo-Islam of Europe will be or like what China will be if the (((globalists))) succeed.

>Theologically it started as a lunar, underground cult followed by the lowest castes of society akin to the cult of Isis,

Theologically it started as revolutionary Jewish Messianism, propelled a desire to expel the goyish Roman occupiers, which was glossed over, lied about and misrepresented by "Westernized" Jews outside of Judea as a West-friendly affair.

>Nietzsche's critiques of Christianity are usually regarding the psychological factors behind its conception

Nietzsche's critiques strike at the Jewish core of Christianity, which is why the little Jew that lives in every Christian gets so upset by him.

When Nietzsche talks about "Jewish revenge" he doesn't mean literally a Jewish plot to overthrow the Roman hegemony but a revenge of the instincts (as in a psychological/behavioral phenomenon) of resentment that defined Jewish culture. That's the meaning behind the struggle between Rome and Judea as he puts it in On The Genealogy of Morals.

Otherwise it would've been the dumbest revenge ever, since Christian started persecuting Jews like five minutes after they got into power.

So it's inaccurate to compare the early Christians with the Bolsheviks regarding political motives, although that comparison can still be made regarding psychology.

>healthy ruler ... his compassion has value

>293. A man who says: "I like that, I take it for my own, and mean to guard and protect it from every one"; a man who can conduct a case, carry out a resolution, remain true to an opinion, keep hold of a woman, punish and overthrow insolence; a man who has his indignation and his sword, and to whom the weak, the suffering, the oppressed, and even the animals willingly submit and naturally belong; in short, a man who is a MASTER by nature—when such a man has sympathy, well! THAT sympathy has value! But of what account is the sympathy of those who suffer! Or of those even who preach sympathy! There is nowadays, throughout almost the whole of Europe, a sickly irritability and sensitiveness towards pain, and also a repulsive irrestrainableness in complaining, an effeminizing, which, with the aid of religion and philosophical nonsense, seeks to deck itself out as something superior—there is a regular cult of suffering. The UNMANLINESS of that which is called "sympathy" by such groups of visionaries, is always, I believe, the first thing that strikes the eye

It's BGaE. But I can't tell if there is a /s after his first exclamation point.

Yes, that's the exact passage. The distinction between healthy and unhealthy compassion.

ITT: armchair whatevers that have no clue what they're talking about that have at best an IQ of 110

Jokes on you, I have an IQ of 115.

Nietsche was redpilled, but also depressive
he decleared the end of all time, the bible was right
tigris is already a dried out

>dur dur hur dur dur

yawn... is the urge to shitpost that strong?

>never been great at anything
>never felt the urge to be great at anything
>all you do in life is exist
>occupy space
average Sup Forums user (you)

>There is nowadays, throughout almost the whole of Europe, a sickly irritability and sensitiveness towards pain, and also a repulsive irrestrainableness in complaining, an effeminizing, which, with the aid of religion and philosophical nonsense, seeks to deck itself out as something superior—there is a regular cult of suffering. The UNMANLINESS of that which is called "sympathy" by such groups of visionaries, is always, I believe, the first thing that strikes the eye.

Man he would be triggered if he saw Europe in the modern day.

>triggered roastie

I wish he had seen WWII man

nice bait

desu i think you'd have to read a lot of what he says and try to get a feeling for the whole

Amor Fati
Accept life and never say no, at best look away from uglyness but don't fight it

Denying christianity was edgy and cool in 19th century but not anymore. This guy has absolutely nothing to offer.

>durr all Nietzsche did was deny Christianity
I remember being 15

Pretending to know about things you've never researched was edgy and cool in 19th century but not anymore. (you) have absolutely nothing to offer.

Nihilism has only just begun, we are living it.
who wrote this it's gold