This guy at work is utterly convinced of this retarded flat earth theory...

This guy at work is utterly convinced of this retarded flat earth theory. At first I just kind of ignored it and didn't really want to argue with a moron, but it is really starting to piss me off, its all he can talk about whenever you talk to him and I work near him so he comes over all the time.

so today I finally engaged him...

>doesn't believe in gravity
> doesn't believe in dinosaurs
>doesn't believe in the moon
>doesn't believe in space - thinks its a hologram or something fuck if I know
>answer to falling off the edge is he doesn't know and its unexplored, or maybe "the elites" are hanging out there

I'm beginning to believe there isn't really anything that convince this guy of anything because unless he goes into space himself he won't believe it, but is there anything these type of people will listen to? Normally I wouldn't give two shits but I'm tired and my coworkers are tired of listening to him.

he sent me this video today too...
youtube.com/watch?v=IIB2UD3DHXA

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=jX7dcl_ERNs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Level_experiment
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum
travelmath.com/flying-time/from/Sydney, Australia/to/Santiago, Chile
travelmath.com/flying-time/from/Santiago, Chile/to/Auckland, New Zealand
travelmath.com/flying-time/from/Santiago, Chile/to/New York, NY
travelmath.com/flying-time/from/Santiago, Chile/to/Los Angeles, CA
travelmath.com/flying-time/from/Santiago, Chile/to/Cape Town, South Africa
travelmath.com/flying-time/from/Cape Town, South Africa/to/Perth, Australia
teacherschoice.com.au/Maths_Library/Trigonometry/solve_trig_AAS.htm
tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/ArcLength.aspx)
youtube.com/watch?v=U8a_aziR9QY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

shameless self bump

alright one last bump

The flat Earth shit is fucking retarded, as anyone with a brain knows. I think it's an ironic belief because no one could be this stupid.

If you unironically believe this shit then answer this:
Sometimes you can go East to reach a destination, and sometimes you can go West to reach the same destination depending where on Earth you are and which route is shortest. Know why you can do this? The Earth is round.

So let's say it was all a lie and Hawaii is all the way West of the flat Earth, and fucking Japan/New Zealand is all the way East of the flat Earth.

That means EVERY FUCKING PILOT ON THE PLANET IS IN ON THE CONSPIRACY TO TRICK US INTO THINKING THE EARTH IS A GLOBE.

Why...... why is there a global conspiracy to trick us out of thinking the Earth is flat? And why the fuck is every pilot in on it?

Flat fucks BTFO!!!

Yeah, I have been to Australia via pacific and China via Atlantic ocean and used this, but he just tried to tell me that I didn't "actually" know where I was.

I kinda think these people are just stuck in their mindset and no amount of information will change their mind, but just hoping someone here has had some luck.

Get him fired

So every pilot is in on it ....... I understand if this dumbshit thinks only the secret societies know the truth, but there are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF PILOTS all in on the biggest conspiracy known to man.

*sure*

Have you ever seen gravity or dinosaurs?

Have you ever been to the moon?

Have you ever been to space?

Have you ever been to the edge of the earth?

I don't know what his response is to that, but I know another coworker has asked him about it before and he clearly still believes in it...

Boss doesn't really care about that type of stuff, as long as he gets his work done.
>machinist

Actually no.
If the guys feeding the FMS (basically the planes GPS) with wrong information and adjust courses to fly around certain things, the plane and autopilot will do just that.

What did pilots do before autopilot?

Ask him if he thinks literally anyone who shoots a rifle at long range is also in on the conspiracy because anyone can take a rifle shoot 1000+ yards east and west noting point of impact shift compared to point of aim and immediately debunk the entire insanity
m.youtube.com/watch?v=jX7dcl_ERNs

Ask him how does the sun set.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Level_experiment
Try this.

And they've just been doing that since the invention of the airplane?

REKT. Go home OP. You're done.

Just point out you can see Polaris on the northern hemisphere but not on the south. Expain precession. Then physically remove him

ask him how it can be night on the other side of the world

Mapped out routes using the stars just as old ship captains did

Do you really think an experienced pilot thinks he just needs to fly a couple hours West but really he will hit the edge of the world and the plane routes him east to go all the way back to where he started and then further east...... This pilot will not recognize familiar land masses and not know he is flying back to where he started?

Wow dude, isn't it just easier to believe the world is a globe than to believe that garbage?

Also, why lie about what shape the world is? what purpose?

Access to transcontinental planes didn't appear until the late 60s.

Until then "only elites" could afford these type of fights.
And even then they had specific routes they needed to fly along or they would have been lost.

Most of those flights were stopovers, like many are today, due to fuel problems.

I'm not in any way defending this theory.

I'm just saying the guy who controls the map is the one who can make you think you're in Siberia.

Are you forgetting about the firing arch, varying air resistance caused by altitude variations, the rotation of the earth, airspeed ans wind direction, weight of the bullet, grain size of the powder, type of powder used in the round, Barrel length, stock length, and not anticipating the shot?

No. But making certain travel ways for planes are normal. And they always have had these.

As I said I'm not defending this.
I know we have a round earth. Globe.

What I'm saying is if you don't know you're being misled, you're not gonna know.
So if they made travel ways a certain corridor, that corridor would have been flown through.

how flat earthers explain this?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum

I'll ask him tomorrow but my gut says he's going to have some explanation or say something like "well I don't know, but it doesn't disprove flat earth"

I asked him about the moon and and he tried to tell me that it just does a circle or something, I honestly don't really get it. I had a huge piece of cardboard and demonstrated how you would still be able to see the moon / sun if the earth was flat but he just said the flat earth was really big and you can't see that far.

This is something I'm definitely bringing tomorrow. Thank you.

I'lll be bringing this in too. thank ya

Timezones. Every modern pilot that's existed would have to be in on it. Sailors would have to be in on it too. He just sounds way too retarded to even talk to really.

I think his explanation is that Earth is really big. I'll ask him tomorrow but I think I've asked him that before.

Ask him what a flat earth looks like

When he tells you it looks like the UN logo, ask him why it takes the same amount of time to fly from Sao Paulo to Johannesburg as it does from New York to Athens

No I think he's saying if earth was flat it wouldn't rotate so the bullet would hit exactely in a straight line.

But he doesn't take in all the other factors you mentioned.

Flat earth is retarded, but you are even more retarded.

Are you trying to sound very technical but at the same time making basically no argument and just wasting my time fucking reading your post?

Yes, yes I think you are.

This is good, I have flown to Asia and Australia in opposite directions but he tried to tell me something else. Saving.

Santiago, Chile to Sydney, Australia - (14 hours, 38 minutes)
travelmath.com/flying-time/from/Sydney, Australia/to/Santiago, Chile

Santiago, Chile to Auckland, New Zealand - (12 hours, 33 minutes)
travelmath.com/flying-time/from/Santiago, Chile/to/Auckland, New Zealand

Santiago, Chile to New York, New York - (10 hours, 43 minutes)
travelmath.com/flying-time/from/Santiago, Chile/to/New York, NY

Santiago, Chile to Los Angeles, California - (11 hours, 39 minutes)
travelmath.com/flying-time/from/Santiago, Chile/to/Los Angeles, CA

Santiago, Chile to Cape Town, South Africa - (10 hours, 23 minutes)
travelmath.com/flying-time/from/Santiago, Chile/to/Cape Town, South Africa

Cape Town, South Africa to Perth, Australia - (11 hours, 20 minutes)
travelmath.com/flying-time/from/Cape Town, South Africa/to/Perth, Australia

Bullets arc, they go up before the come down. Earths rotation and shape doesn't affect those factors

If that's the case, ask him why does the sun appear larger at sunrise and sunset than it does at mid-day

If the sun was approaching your location from far away, it would start out small and become bigger at mid-day, then shrink again in the afternoon.

Thanks, saving this too

>pleb who never shot past 1000 yards spotted
never reply to me again my dude

>guy at work
>flat earth theory
>starting to piss me off

I'll ask him this too. I dunno man, before all of this flat earth stuff he was pretty normal and nice to talk to.

Will do.

I'm copying these questions to my phone

Will ask him that too. I'm kinda thinking these people are just too stupid or paranoid or something to fall out of their theory because I feel like he's just going to have some bullshit explanation that makes no sense to anyone with sense.

Has anyone had any luck with an actual flat earther outside the internet

Kek, I was shooting rifles before the best parts of you were dribbling down your mothers leg. Your ignorance of trigonometry has betrayed your ignorance in firearms

Never met one IRL, I thought it was an elaborate troll for the most part.

Yes it does you moron.
I just posted a video documenting this phenomenon known as the Coriolis effect and how to properly adjust your point of aim for it so your point of impact remains consistent when firing east west north or South.

If the earth was flat this simply wouldn't happen

that's actually explained by air currents and the altitude that they are in and not actual length driven. So Flat earth still works.

i fucking love this sort of shit. it's so ludicrous you can only laugh

I doubt you are telling the truth. You can witness the coriolis effect at that distance.

At 200-300 yards (probably the distances you are actually shooting) the differences are so small you never notice.

Manoman... i really hope he's a troll from /pol and that he's reading your thread.

at a km the shape of the earth would have a 3 inch effect on a bullet. Bullets normally arc completely unrelated to earth's shape and it would have a FAR greater impact on your shot than the shape of earth. You're both right.

Flat earth is a "discredit by association" psy-ops.

Your friend is just an idiot.

I thought it was funny at first, but it's really fucking annoying now. Before this conspiracy it was one about some amendment was never passed in the early 1900s or something and it made everyone property of the federal reserve. Then he moved onto something about turning in his social security card for some cash, then he tried to stop paying for his car loan because someone online said he legally didn't sign for the car or something idk, but I think he tried it and it didn't work out. I think right now he is also doing some conspiracy to not pay taxes. I try not to pay too close attention so I couldn't really tell more than what I remember.

He's not. He doesn't browse pol at work, he browses conspiracy youtube videos. Machine shop so a bit of downtime while machines running.

Air Currents.. Uh HUh

Lets say you have two boats, both at sea level. They both can see a balloon, and lets one boat shines a laser on the balloon, which is then picked up by the other boat. They are able to communicate, and share distance information.

If the earth is FLAT, the distance between the two boats will be calculated using the sine rule of Triangles (link for those who need a refresher: teacherschoice.com.au/Maths_Library/Trigonometry/solve_trig_AAS.htm )

If the earth is ROUND, the distance between Boats A and B will be calculated using the Arc-Length formula. (tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/ArcLength.aspx)

To recap:
> Boat A measures distance to boat B using a laser
> Boat A sails to boat B
> If earth is flat, distance should be equal too (or very close to) the trigonometric length between the two points
> If earth is round, distance will be equivalent to (or very close to) the arc length of the earth between those two points.
> There is a considerable difference between the two values. The correctness will not be in question.

Flat Earthers BTFO forever and ever.

I've actually told him this before and all he said was maybe I was right. Didn't really defend himself or anything.

I like this, but I feel like he's just going to want some proof of it being done or to do it himself.

He tried showing my something similar to this where this guy was on a beach and measured the distance from his point to a pier to show that "the earth curvature calculator from NASA doesn't work".

Its round goy
Believe me

I hope you succeed OP. Sup Forums is infested with these retards. We can't ever have a comfy space thread because of them.

>This guy at work is utterly convinced of this retarded flat earth theory.

No he's not you're just looking for an excuse to make a retarded /x/ thread.

Just show him this thread and he will cuck to the sphere theory. Flat earth is real guys, moses told me in a emu nightmare.

Thanks, I'm pretty sick of it.

Not really, I prefer to lurk. You can probably tell from the way I type. Is there some type of proof you want that I can provide from my desk.

I'm copying the questions to my phone. Prefer to not let people know I use Sup Forums.

He's free to make the measurements and do the math himself. Anyone with a grasp of High School Algebra and calc concepts (or even just a calculator which can handle calculus functions) should be able to do so.

Measuring distance with a laser is somewhat challenging, but I believe off the shelf hardware is available.

I have a feeling that even if he did so, he'd somehow convince himself that the math is lying to him, or some nonsense.

You can see it with your own eyes. Look at any building (preferably a city) from 12+ miles out over a body of water like a lake or ocean. Part of the buildings will appear to be beneath the surface of the water.

I think you are correct. Still hoping someone hops in here that has dealt with one of these people in real life because pretty sure these people won't be convinced they are wrong.

I'll save this and show him tomorrow too.

It's true though, we never went to the moon and earth really is flat

if the earth is flat then why is almost all celestial objects spheres.

answer me that conspiracy faggots

I've thought of a question for flat-earthers, interested to see how they respond:
If the earth is flat, then either it has an edge or it does not.

If the earth has an edge, then why has nobody seen it? What is over the edge? Does water fall endlessly over the edge? Where is the edge--which 3d to 2d projection of the earth's surface is correct?

If the earth does not have an edge, then you're saying the earth goes on infinitely in some directions? Is it all water, or is there other land on the infinite earth? Why has nobody moved to the new lands (if there are any)? Where did an infinite earth come from?

>no one could be this stupid.
you are dead wrong. If you think that there are no dumb people then you yourself dumb. Because there is a lot of dumb people who will believe in it and won't blink an eye.

I thought that people believed in this ironically.

youtube.com/watch?v=U8a_aziR9QY

But at least the moon landing was fake

No, man. Some people are really stupid, its hard to believe, but this is one of the final redpills. People are dumb. That simple. There is no irony, or larping, or clever long strategic goal plot, or trolling, no... its just very dumb people.

Yep he tried to tell me space was fake because there is no footage of an astronaut with a camera looking 360 degrees with the camera. Tried to say something about there being some water bubbles or something in photos of outer space fuck if I know.

I've asked him that and he like above he doesn't believe in outer space... Like he believes space is fake. I don't really know. He tried showing me a blurry picture of a star with the "see how it looks like it's underwater".

I asked him this and just said he didn't know. "I don't know whats on the edge because I haven't been there and I don't trust the faked NASA photos. You don't know if you have really been that far because..."

Actually saved this pic a few days ago and showed it to him and he said the same thing as above essentially. "Yeah I don't know about asteroids, it's the only thing I can't explain". It doesn't help that he thinks dinosaurs are all fake because some scientist found some T-rex soft tissue or something that "should have only been able to last a few hundred thousand years". Also "how come they configure dinosaur bones together and know they all go to the same dinosaur because it's not like the moves!!!"

The reason the conspiracy exists is to discredit every other conspiracy theory by making all conspiracy theorists look like absolute retards

sorry for off-topic comment but I want to see what this get was:

I think it's a mixture of stupidity and being paranoid.

No man, its just dumb people. Simple explanation - dumb retards fail for this.

this may hurt you, because you consider yourself human and if you will accept the fact that people can be that dumb, you are kinda accepting that you yourself can be dumb sometimes, it hurts your ego so you may refuse to take "the dumb people pill". But that way you will prove the point that people are dumb, because being smart means accepting hard truths. Don't overthink things, its just dumb people believing in bullshit because they can't undersand hard science.

>It doesn't set, it just goes away.
I'm no flat earther, but I read a lot of their writings when I was sick last summer, this is what they believe.

Yeah come to think of it, I've seen people be this stupid before.

I like to boil it down to a few key points.

you can't prove curvature
there are 33 more continents
gravity is misrepresented as buoyancy
you can't prove motion of the earth
the sun and moon are the same size, and rotating 50ish miles in the air around the north pole on the equator
traveling east or west makes you go in a circle
its possible to go north south

hurr durr the jews are lying about the holocaust
hurr durr theres no way the jews are lying about the shape of the earth

>btfo

except you can bring it back into view if you zoom in with a good enough telescope, and make part of something disappear beneath the horizon at 100 yards

I recently experienced the same thing with this young guy I was working with. I could not convince him, he said satellites aren't real, NASA fakes everything in a studio. I even asked him to explain the moon and tides he had no answer, just the earth is flat. It's fucking crazy.

Just tell him to watch some high altitude flight videos on Youtube.

Op,
You work at the same job as someone who believes the world's dumbest conspiracy. You potentially make the same amount of money as someone who believes something that plague-ridden 14th century sailors figured out. Dumb people are gonna derp. The real question here is: why the Fuck are you working at a job that employs retards?

it doesn't go away, it just rises somewhere else

Actually it's shaped more like a roulette wheel...(see pic)

youtube is the root of evil. Look they add 700 videos about flat earth per day. All of them are the same but they are flowing and flowing, they insert their message in every tag and everywhere they can reach dumb people and kids.

it's hollow, not flat.

t. commercial pilot

previous thread:

You clearly don't understand how east and west work on a flat earth model. West is just clockwise around the central pole, and east is just counterclockwise. So you could still reach places by going in either direction.

You're a shit-slurping, pseudo-intellectual, dickbuffing dipshit.

And I'm not a flat-earther.

This can't explain seasons, 24 hours of sunlight in the artic, flight paths, eclipses, the stars moving in the sky. the eart is not fucking flat.

Pretty much exact same thing with this guy. He's maybe 30ish.

Family business, I work as a machinist right now. He probably makes more than me currently. Have a degree so could be working in our office, but have to learn as much as I can about machining before I can eventually take over. It helps knowing everything so I'm more knowledgeable to customers and know our capabilities / figuring out how to program for jobs.

>clockwise
that would require south magnetic pole to be in all directions. How would you use your compass? Some ice wall cannot be elongated magnetic pole

>how come they configure dinosaur bones together and know they all go to the same dinosaur because it's not like the moves!!!"

Except when they do find whole groups of bones together.

>implying the planes dont fly slower for the long trips to keep the conspiracy alive

nice collection of strawmans. Does that make you sleep tight at night?

well it actually does. the sun moving in the northern hemisphere (inner circle) makes for long artic days, and summer in the northern hemisphere, and winter in the southern hemisphere (outer circle). the sun moving in the southern hemisphere (outer circle) makes for summer in the southern hemisphere, and winter in the northern hemisphere (inner circle) and explains the arctics long nights it also explains solstices and equinoxes

>stars moving in the sky
see next post