STEM vs STEAM

I had a conversation with a friend of mine recently about this 'STEAM' (science, technology, engineering, ART, maths) thing that's being pushed in schools. I'm diametrically opposed to this concept on several levels, not the least of which is because I think it's just another way that feminists are trying to infiltrate male-dominated fields of study and destroy them from within. I also think it's ironic that the same group of people (liberal arts humanities feminist trash) who are largely responsible for kids with STEM degrees being shut out of the market due to immigrants and H1-B visas are now trying to get in on the gravy train. What are your thoughts?

You're kidding me. It was so pure. A category with only jobs that contribute to society. Great, we're going to get a bunch of blue haired fucks in engineering because "MUH FEMINISM", fuck everything.

Art is subjective, science isn't.

Why on earth would they mix something that different with STEM?

My thoughts also.

Exactly... I'm saying this as someone with a degree in arts and occupational therapy. Art is not evidence based!

cause creativity is actually useful in STEM and the best way to learn to use it is by developing an artistic skill

We all know what ((((((((((art)))))))))) means when it comes to college.

An arts degree should not be allowed except as a secondary/double degree e.g. B Science + B Arts or B Engineering + B Arts

And even then only certain fields in Arts should be accepted, like English or Psychology (and even then those are getting horrendously infected)

Any time at all spent on gender studies or feminist studies or other shit like that would have been better spent doing literally anything else

IF THE "A" ISN'T FOR ARCHTITECTURE INSTEAD THEN THEY CAN GO JUMP OFF A FUCKING BRIDGE

STEM is heavy creative, just looser graphics design,audiovisual industry take word creativity to feel better.

See, I don't buy that. 'Creativity' in my experience is just tenacity + experience. Can artistic skills carry over to other tasks? Sure. Doesn't mean that being creative in an artistic sense makes you a creative problem solver in other areas.

>95% of US graduates are science
No way

would that that was true, but unfortunately the things they call "science" now are closer to art than to truth

Arts degrees are who people who go to university just to have gun

How the fuck does this even make sense? We have to many people going for shitty useless degrees and not enough going for STEM degrees. These fucking faggots are trying to put their hobby on the same shelf as science and engineering. Jesus fucking christ

*for
*fun
I'm retarded

I personally am in a difficult position, I agree that STEAM is a dumb idea being pushed by arts to become more relevant, however simultaneously I'm studying Industrial Design, which is viewed as a merger between engineering at art, i've always lead to my course being a semi STEM degree due to how technical it is, but I've got these arts people holding up ID as a reason for the change to STEAM.

I don't think they will effect STEM much

The girls I know on my course on University got in with lower grades than required but statistically in the UK women in stem are more likely to go on to be things like school teachers

You can look this up in the uk institute of physics and I'm sure what happens in the uk would be similar to the usa

They're pushing for women to join stem but it will only really affect it at an undergraduate level

for masters and phd and the real world nothing will really change

it's hard to do "affirmative action" type hiring in stem fields

I studied a BA in Linguistics, and currently earn £35k working at a University in London (one of the "big" ones in terms of World standing).

I mainly write regulations, policy, and governance stuff - pretty sweet/easy job really.

That picture is so fucking silly in several ways
But yeah this whole STEAM thing is bullshit

I have a funny story actually
Some 150 kg feminist (not even joking) from some bullshit department was trying to push that shit a while ago at my uni (I'm a compsci post-doc), saying that science is just as easy a drawing or some shit. The faculty dean (I worked with him before, absolute bantzmaster btw) said he'd create some science/art crossover curricula if she managed to get a bachelors' in physics or maths.
To our great surprise, she actually took it seriously, failed almost all her first-year exams two times in a row, then got kicked out for failing too much; now she's back at teaching "education science" or sosuch.

muh feels

See, I think what you're doing has a definite practical application and a strong tie to technology. I feel the same way about graphic design, to a lesser degree - there's a practical application for it. Fine Arts are defined by fine artists as such because they are NOT practical.

RIP universities, science, we had a nice time.

i mean like play an instrument or learn to do marble statues, not to do photoshop logos or paint with your cum

>Doesn't mean that being creative in an artistic sense makes you a creative problem solver in other areas.
Not true, playing instruments literally helps the brain

Even if they tried to push this pretty much everyone in stem would relentlessly shit on the arts major as we always have, it would just be more relevant.

Yes, it's documented that studying music as a child leads to better understanding of mathematics. Learning to play an instrument does not necessarily make you magically creative in other fields. Experience and tenacity is what will help you form creative solutions in whatever field you are studying.

>cause creativity is actually useful in STEM
You don't have a STEM background that I can see.

People getting 'creative' is exactly what you don't want, it fucks up so many things when impurities and inconsistencies appear in data and designs.

You severely overestimate how much of STEM isn't repetitive industrial actions.

Arts do help with creativity and innovation. There is nothing inherently wrong with them. It is when people elevate their importance that it becomes a problem. Art, music, philosophy, -studies, religion are all completely useless degrees (unless you want to teach that subject). People thinking their art degree is as good as an engineering degree is where it goes wrong. Arts are subjective, STEM is objective.

There are actually a couple "science" degrees that are useless too, such as psychology and sociology.

I hope that means art majors now have to pass a differential equations course to graduate.