Explain to me why we need an electoral college. I genuinely want to know...

Explain to me why we need an electoral college. I genuinely want to know, not because I disagree but because I have no idea if it's actually a good thing or not.

because rule of the majority is fucking retarded. democracy is cancer. and america is big as fuck.

The election votes are all based on states so I guess it makes more sense for people to vote for their state for every race in the election. Also grouping different people together can ensure that minority needs aren't forgotten about.

Its put in place so that when places like california amass huge populations and may shift very far left or far right that they dont outweigh the vote of farmers in illinois that have no say against millions of brainwashed left leaning zombies in california

To give the states an equal chance or something. Someone could probably explain it much better. I just like it because it feels like a game show except with an ending that affects reality.

Because California and New York shouldn't dictate social policy for rural states.

>tfw not a state

Would certainly make primary and presidential campaigns shorter as only New York City, Chicago, Florida and California would effectively be voting.

Electoral college exists only to prevent urbanite tyranny.

The States are too nervous about their autonomy.
There are a lot of privileges states get in your federation that would be inconceivable in others.
This is only one more way to assure that all states have weight in the election.

So you don't need it in the sense that a Federation can work without it, but you need in American context, unless you want to change the whole idea of state autonomy.

First understand that we were supposed to be a Republic of Independant States. Each State votes in an independant ballot for who that State will choose to support in their Presidential bid.
Its a defence mechanism against the Tyranny of he Majority. Each State joined the Union on the premise that they would be represented fairly. If the population hubs of California and New York dictate all policy, other less populated but equal states would potentially secede

Do people actually live in Guam not on a military base? Or like, Americans that aren't military? Like if I wanted to could I just move to Guam if I had the means and cash?

People in cities make coffee, trade imaginary wealth, market ideas and do other generally worthless bullshit.
People in rural areas grow and harvest food, mine raw natural resources, and work in industry.

Rare

Damn that's rare.

If we went by popular vote, Hillary may have been put in the White House again. That's all the reason you should ever need.

I dont think illinois is a very good example, but thats pretty spot on

its like Hawaii for Asians. and technically, all residents of guam are US citizens, so...yes.

Plenty of people live here unconnected to the military. Tons of japs and gooks tourists flood The local Kmart. If you're not in the military it's hard to get a job here due to blatant chamorro nepotism. It's also expensive as fuck.

>The local Kmart
that shitheap is still open? Damn man.

If the smaller population states never had any say in picking the presidents, there would be no reason for them to stay in the union, and be governed by people whose interests were completely different from their own. This is the bargain which was struck to bring the small population states into the union.

Our government is based on the separation of powers. If power is centralized, we're fucked. Like if NY and Cali could decide who is president.

This shitheap is keeping the Kmart corporate afloat. 6 dollar bag of chips and it took 20 minutes to check out. At 11pm on a weekday!

Democracy is retarded. EC is a step away from real democracy and thats a very good thing

I unironically miss K-Marts... At least my local one. I don't know, I mean before it went to shit and before it eventually closed. Better than going to the local Wal-Mart any day of the week, and my town is only 13,000 people. Still wanted to shoot the place up with all the people there. K-Mart was like the comfy alternative to Wal-Mart ever since it went from a small Wal-Mart to a Super Wal-Mart and basically rekkt my local mall (where the K-Mart was actually). Anyway, when I was a kid I just liked K-Mart better than Wal-Mart when I went up there with my parents. I remember really liking the Blue Light lightbulb thing when I was a child. The friendly face on the random shelves and stuff always made me feel warm inside. I was like 6 so don't bully me, fags.

I miss my Kmart. It closed a few years ago.

i'll admit...I miss the Krazybread from there...