Hijab + Climate

To what extent in the Middle East is the custom of the hijab just based on the climate? That is there is harsh desert sun and I guess possibly wind that could blow sand in some parts.Thus, it is mainly a practical custom there that eventually became enmeshed in religion. This is more odd to Europeans because there isn't enough sun to merit head covering there regularly, whereas Muslims, at least some of them, probably see head coverings as a practical matter.

I guess it makes sense to cover the back of your neck if you live in a place with tons of sun and probably not a lot of sunscreen in the more rural areas. I just hadn't thought about the pragmatism angle before and wondered if others had heard from Muslims that they consider the Hijab a practical matter rather than a sacred vow.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P47OC439x88
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If it was climate related why do women get murdered there if they go out unveiled?

checkmate atheist

I'm not an atheist I just wonder how much of the custom where the climate is desert is originally a secular thing that came first before Islam.

Hijab is a new thing made by the Arabs

But it makes sense to me that you would cover your hair and try not to expose the back of your neck or even your whole face if there were hot sandy wins and blazing direct sun.

exactly, it has nothing to do with the religion

The headrests has nothing to with religion, it's culture based, that's it.

The only verse in the Quran that comes close to mentioning it says 'have a barrier between yourself and the unbelievers'. That's it.

The public hearings aren't for blasphemy etc, they're for being immoral (eg looking sexy in public's. It's basically the same as our 'lude in public' laws, but more conservative.

The climate thing is bullshit btw. White linen would be cooler.

Well so perhaps they see it in the Middle East (the women) as a non-religious thing but it has effectively become one for Muslims in the west. I guess I'm interested on the off chance there is a Muslim lurking, what their perspective would be.

It doesn't say you can't have a white one...

Public beatings*

Checkmate atheists is a meme or a joke or whatever.
youtube.com/watch?v=P47OC439x88

Not even sure if trolling or retarded.

If it's Climate related, why aren't the men dressed in shower curtains that cover everything except the eyes?

If it were OPTIONAL to wear one, I would agree.

It's a symbol of oppression because of the fact that it's mandatory, and failing to wear one may just get you killed.

My point exactly. It's cultural. Like those hats south Americans wear, a different type for each cultural group. Probably why here's so many types of middle eastern headrests.

Malaysians/indonsians seem to be the exception to the rule btw. (And they're the most concentrated population of Muslims in the world btw)

They wear many colours and any style they like (with fucktons of makeup) and there no history of headdress before Islam took over their country.

They also have the highest rates of female circumcision in the world as well.

I have a theory that they might just be the biggest dickheads the world.

it's not
the climate thing is just an excuse, though a really good one

a muslim Sup Forumslack with some political power in the 60s decided women were too slutty and this happened

To what extent was it being worn in the desert parts of the Middle East prior to modern adoption of the mandatory Sharia hijab?

Bedouins and Berbers still run around the desert dressed like this

Hijab is a very recent introduction to Islamic countries. First it was worn by rich wifes only, that by lower class, and then by prostitutes. That's why it was a symbol of sluts in ottoman times. Oppression through hijab is relatively recent introduction, as well as FGM, which came to Muslim countries from Britain.

>Originally it maybe had nothing to do with the religion but it very clearly does now
ftfy

Sparingly
Was mandatory just for religious elders' family members during specific times only
Everyone else dress decently

The real rule in the book was just cover boobs, ass, crotch
You know, like normal

muslim lurking here, the hijab has always been a political thing my dood

>The real rule in the book was just cover boobs, ass, crotch
yep, there is nothing in the quran about the hijab

hi flag senpai

The difference being they can remove it if they want to.