The Imperial System > Metric System

The Imperial system was designed with trade in mind. Let me give you a couple examples.

Imperialfag A wants to sell some of his dank spices to Imperialfag B. He sells this spice for an ounce of silver per ounce of spice. His bag holds 1lb (16oz) of spices, but Imperialfag B only wants 2 ounces of spice. Imperialfag A forgot his balance today, so he pours out his spice on the table and divides it into 8 equal piles. Imperialfag B hands over 2 one ounce coins of silver and then takes one of the piles, transaction complete.

Metricfag wants to sell some of his same spices to Imperialfag. The value of silver is consistent, it buys the same amount of spice, 16 ounces of silver buy 1lb of spices, therefore 16 ounces of silver buys 0.4536kg of spice. Metricfag has a 1kg bag of spices, but Imperialfag only has 2 one ounce silver coins.

Metricfag forgot his balance this time as well, so he pours out his spice on the table and separates it into 100 ten gram piles. Imperialfag hands over his 2 coins and takes 6 of the piles, but Metricfag chimes in and says, "Hey, you only get 5.67 piles!". In the interest of keeping things fair, they eyeball out 1/3rd of one of the 100 already questionably accurate piles, and Metricfag keeps this 1/3 of that pile. The trade is complete.

So which system is superior Sup Forums?

Never thought of it like that.

I don't care.

Imperial system was for trading grain

Jews want us to use the metric system

fuck your shit system

Metricfag wants to trade 10 ounces for 1 ounce
Imperialfag flips his shit

They fear the power of base 12, the superior method of counting, makes dividing by halves, quarters, eighths, etc, much easier.

You guys are fucking retarded, seriously.

For the record, I'm a CNC programmer. A machinist with 17 years under my belt.
We still have a few imperial Lathes and measuring equipment. I'm comfortable with both.
I can say with hand on heart that the imperial system is 100% obsolete and that Metric is superior in every way imaginable.

>Water freezes at 0c, boils at 100c
>1 cubic decimeter of water weighs 1 Kg
>0.001
>0.01
>0.1
>1
>10
>100
>1000
>an on and on

It's fucking logical

>logical
The metric system is arbitrary as fuck.

It does it's intended job with 100% efficiency and is easy to understand due to being logical.

>he still counts in base10

Forgot to add that 1 Kg of water equals 1 liter

We don't use the metric calendar or clock do we?
We use a Roman refinement of the Egyptian calendar, which was slightly updated by Gregory.

The decline of Roman aqueduct has to be measured by a LASER to determine its decline.

Is Imperial /our/ measurement? I think so. And I was raised with Metric. Fuck metric.

How do you measure your height? Metres? Or feet and inches?

What happened to being bilingual, euros?
Most here who need to measure things know both systems. Why should we all learn one meaaurement system, but not all speak the same language? The imperial system is an aspect of american 'culture'

>defending retarded imperial system
It's just due to costs and inability to adopt the universal system that americans don't use it while rest of the world and science use the metric system.

Your spice-silver conversion rate is still in Imperial units in the second example, conveniently set up to favor that system. Trading in a society that used the metric system would probably have a conversion more like 1kg Ag for 1kg spice, and the math involved would favor tens instead of twelves. I agree that base twelve is better than base ten but not when you're already using the latter as the general basis for your numeral system.

It's outdated.
The only reason you'd need to understand it is if you're using machines that are graduated empirically.

Imperial system is not based on anything. There is no uniformity or relation between lengths, area, weights, volume, etc.

You guys understand money yet you refuse to understand metrics. It's a display of stubbornness and ignorance that the rest of the world laughs at.

Nvm the conversion doesn't matter since it's just a unitless ratio and I'm being stupid. I meant that the actual trade itself in the second example is mixing imperial and metric units for no reason whatsoever, which isn't a problem in the first example. Why would a metric society be using coins measured in ounces?

>Imperial system is not based on anything.
Not true.
0 F was originall set to be the freezing point of 3.5% salinity brine, and 100 F was meant to be the human internal temperature (erroneously measured), for example

one landed men on the moon
the other is used by filthy commies

Both systems do exactly the same thing.
The difference is that one is better than the other

CAD/CAM Technician, here.

I honestly prefer drafting in imperial. Doing the math for stress-strain is faster, since the math is done with the units you're already using: Pounds and Inches.

In metric, drafting is done using mm's and kg's, but when you calculate pressure, you do the math using meters and kg's. It's a small thing, but it always kinda irked me.

That all being said, ~80% of the work I've done actually ended up being dual-dimensioned because it was for an American company that had a lot of stuff made in China and Europe.

>Metricfag forgot his balance this time as well
>Metric is dumb because I cant do math. Also someone could forget a scale at some point.

You completely invented a scenario in which everything went wrong to prove your invented scenario where everything went right was superior/

You take a dna test? Sure you're not a kike?

Imperial is fucking retarded.

Because Troy weight has been used for precious metals since the 15th century? Of course it doesn't matter now because we don't use PMs for commerce because you know (((who))).

Now do the same thing, but silver is 1kg and spice 1kg, and he wants two.
But needs to work out how much that is in ounces. Etc etc etc.

Your situation favours the measuring system you've written it to.
One is shit one is good depending on how you set-up the problem.

>getting assmad over b8

Imperial isn't that bad once you get used to it but Metric is just easier to work with. I fucking hate fractions on sockets. Why.

Meant to write, bag holds 10kg.

Oldie but a goodie

>2017
>Taking b8 this hard
You're all fucking retarded

But it never was, Silver has always been measured in Troy ounces.

No.

Honestly the metric system is better, especially if you are learning from a blank slate (yes, it is harder to CONVERT a whole country, but it can be done).

- Easier to use
- More intuitive
- Keeps the same ratios across all kind of measurement (weight, length, temp, current, power, force, etc).

I use "fuck" and "fucking" a lot.
I work in a workshop with men and I wear boots and overalls most the time.
Doesn't mean I'm mad at anything.

Bait or not, Americans have a lot to answer for in their rejection of the metric system in anything other than mathematics and money.

Idk if you know what arbitrary means.

Nasa uses metric system.
Plumbers here use inches for pipes and plumbing.
For some reason it is much better in their craft.

I prefer the binary system

>I fucking hate fractions on sockets. Why.

What's do you have against fractional dimensioning?

It can get annoying when you start getting into 64th's, but everything down to 32nd's is pretty convenient for low-precision work. Beyond that, I'd rather work in thous.

Do you have to have a fucked up baby hand for it to work?

>only in america

NASA only started using metric in 1990, well after the moon landings. The astronauts actually preferred using nautical miles for their calculations.

hey buddy i fixed ur picture

It's true when it comes to standard pipe like schedule 40 or API line pipe, hydraulic tube or plain old galv water pipe, it's all measured in inches or fractions of.
BSP threads on pipe are still industry standard, even for most hydraulic stuff.
Even when working with Metric, 12 tpi is a common "one for all" thread.
I don't know why this is but it is.

dosnt really matter wat they used, i mean do you care what system a 2 year old is using when playing pretend? no ofc not, it makes no difference to the outcome, the outcome being fucking nothing

The metric system was really intended for science. It suffers a bit outside of that.

How so?

Dealing with fractions is obnoxious and all the guys who've not worked with imperial always take forever to get the tools ready. Metric sizes are just easier to understand, explain and deal with.

I like and use celsius but other than that it's garbage. I did set my speedometer to km so I could learn, though.

>the symbols for the temperature where water boils and freezes are different
> t. peabrain that can't into unit conversion

Because the units aren't on a scale that is useful for most things.

It's why we end up using kg's for most things instead of grams, that we use mm's on technical drawings instead of meters, etc.

>Hey, user, what's the required OD for the pipe?
>0.04000 meters!

>Oh man, I put on 2272 grams over Christmas break!

Is this politics? Sort yourself out -- here:

Sure, so we can see the historical reason for imperial.
But that doesn't mean it is better, merely that it was first.
If we only ever stuck with what was first then our species wouldn't have got very far!

>which system is superior
>uses an analogy in which people are buying and trading commodities and using ancient monetary systems when we live in a time where people are flying robots that project radio signals containing the entire collective knowledge of the human species to every fathomable corner of the planet
>toby

it sickens me to know that your vote is equal to mine

Actually it's the french.

System internationale (SI units)

>If we only ever stuck with what was first then our species wouldn't have got very far!

Just imagine if we had stayed in Africa. We probably wouldn't have any measuring system.

>I'm too stupid to divide any number that isn't a power of ten by any other number that isn't a power of ten

it sickens me that your vote is equal to mine

also

months/days/years makes more sense than years/months/days or the reverse because months go up to 12, days up to 31, and years up to whatever

12/31/9999 vs 31/12/9999

Much higher quality post than I anticipated, well done ameribro. Also

>elijahwood

What did you mean by that?

I disagree.

Year/Month/Day makes much more sense.
Let's say you have to make a spreadsheet. When you sort the date column you will either get every day of every month of every year in order or the first day of the first month of every year, followed by the first day of the second month of every year, followed by the first day of the third month of every year...

Which one seems more functional to you?

Eh, F makes more sense than C outside of science. Temperature variations are too low within C when talking about weather - and that's what most people look at temperature for. And fuck, people don't measure the temperature of water when it's boiling, they just put the pan on the fucking stove and heat it till it boils.

90-100F Ok, it's kinda hot. Time for some lotion.
80-90 Pretty warm. Shorts needed
70-80 Hey, it's nice out here. Time for a t-shirt.
60-70 Ahh, pretty nice out. Roll down the car windows
50-60 Hmm, may want to take a warm shirt, a hoodie, or a light jacket.
40-50 Better grab a light coat.
30-40 Should grab a decent coat.
20-30 Better grab a coat and a hat
10-20 Add some gloves.
0-10 Coat and all accessories.

With C you have half as much variance. Just not as useful.

Just wanted to see who would be the first to realize the filename. Congratulations user you win.

It's more of an occult thing. It's based off of degrees if I remember correctly.

Interestingly, while we use C for ambient temperature in Canada, we use F for pool temperatures.

We use Km's for distance, but then feet/inches for body height.

We use Kg for weight of food and other items, but lbs for body weight.

Yes, nature makes much more sense in base12

After reading OP's post, I've truly come to wonder if McDonalds has been adding chemical agents that inhibit cognitive functions within their burgers.

How can you even be this retarded...

No need, they already put fluoride in the water. Untreated hypothyroidism gives you a "brain fog".

That's the hand of someone who has never done physical labor

>The Imperial System > Metric System

Depends on the science you're talking about.
Critical temperatures are measured in Kelvins.
It still a metric system but has a different zero point. 0 kelvins equals absolute zero, no atomic activity.

You say there is not enough variation but you haven't even introduced any decimal places yet.

Imperial system is for antiscience losers only.

Tools of the trade. Metric system is universal and allows for easy understandable transactions between different trades. Meanwhile within a trade everyone uses those quasi-imperial systems like measuring distances with steps and weights with stones.

I guess my argument was too much.

Here in Russia we sometimes jokingly measure height in parrots.

>Temperature variations are too low within C when talking about weather
This is true.
Government here uses this to not declare a state of emergency during extreme heat and during extreme cold.
It can be as high as 50°C and the state TV will say it is 39°C because some "meteorologist" measured 39°C in a shade of a tree on a hill.

Fuck off cunt. The Imperial measuring system is just Metric Lite. I demand a full repeal of the Imperial system and a return to the use of Cubits and Hands.
Anybody who uses a (((ruler))) or (((measuring tape))) instead of their forearm and palm like God intended when measuring the size of of their donkey, wife, child, or other property is basically a faggot and deserves to die.

I liked it OP, interesting how our most valuable resource is not measured in metric.

errr user

Oh don't get me wrong I would never advocate against using Cubits/Hands when measuring animals, I'm talking strictly money and weight here.

IMPERIAL SYSTEM IS BETTER FOR MEASUREMENTS BASED AROUND HUMANS
METRIC SYSTEM IS BETTER FOR SCIENCE AND MATH
Example: with imperial its more convenient to measure people height, the weather outside, and trade of things since it's based around human proportions
In metric it's much easier to use in formulas and equations since it is a standard that's created from math and science
WHY CAN'T YOU NIGGERS UNDERSTAND THIS

F is 100% superior for everyday weather temperature

You can have decimal places in F as well - but the point is that the system is so simple and human based that decimals aren't really needed. 72 degrees F is basically the acknowledged comfy temp for - well, at least Europeans. That's 22.2 C.

70-80F is roughly "comfortable", but in C you're talking about 21.1C to 26.7C. You just end up using more numbers in a human unfriendly way. That's what Imperial is used for - being "friendly".

What the OP said is true - much of the imperial system (particularly volumes and weights) was built for trade and commerce for quick and easy use. In general, it facilitated trade by breaking certain items up in certain ways that weren't extraordinarily time consuming. Other measurements were based on what was most helpful - nautical miles and knots are extremely useful for naval navigation for instance.

But, yes - metric is generally better for general scientific work.

Kek'd hardily.

So, you count 1, 2, 3....12...then what?

As someone who likes to bake and cook, imperial measurements are way better.

>when a quarter pounder only ways 180grams..fuck you kikes.

Kind of sucks when you're building a house and your coworker was a Thalildomide baby.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, A, B

11, 12, 13, ... , 19, 10, 1A, 1B

metric system makes alot more sense since it uses multiples of 10 (and 3 for feet an meters). if you wanted 10 feet of rope to lynch someone its the same has 330 centimeters or 1.33 meters. simple

As someone who has never used F, I disagree.
I get your point though.
I still have to sometimes use fractions of an inch and "thou" etc, still tend to use feet for human height but never felt anything was lacking from degrees Celsius.
It all comes down to what you know, how you were taught.
Both systems do the same thing. Metric is universal and standardized in base 10 logic.
It's a beautiful system, just wish you guys would see that.

On a scale of 1 to 7, you're an idiot.

>more variance = better
Okay, how about a full retard version where 10,000 degrees is akin to 30 celcius and 1,000,000,000 degrees is akin to 35 celcius.

wow. much variance. it's 657,237 degrees full retard so I know exactly what coat to wear.

330 cm is 3.3m

Apparently the metric system still isn't easy enough for a fucking leaf

The neat thing about degrees C is that you can feel it.
A one degree variance in temp is only just detectable to the astute human skin.

>Depends on the science you're talking about.
Plasma guy here... eV is best unit of temperature

Electron Volts are more of a measure of energy, are they not?

Grew up using mostly imperial, apart from Celsius.

Why is imperial superior? Because it is related to actual real world functions. What is a mile? A thousand paces. Meaning that the imperial system already was based around the same principles as the metric 0-1000. Have fun navigating by map using km.

As well, something like a cubit measures arm length, which is very useful in creating ideal tools or weapons for a person.

In short, imperial is adaptive and human while metric is static and machinic.

Yes, but temperature is fundamentally a description of the average energy of a system. eV are super useful for any kind of plasma or atomic physics, and more convenient for normal temperatures than you might think.

1/37 - blazing
1/38 - hot
1/39 - warm
1/40 - room temp
1/41 - chilly
1/42 - cold
1/43 - freezing
etc

1 mile = 1000 Paces
1 Paces = 3 steps
3 steps= 5.28 ft

That's interesting stuff for sure.
When I think of Temp- C or F or even K, I'm thinking about Infra Red radiation specifically

since we dont pay in ounces of silver anymore and dont trade "piles" but kilos... or tons.

metric system is superior.