Why was New York so shitty in the 70s?

Why was New York so shitty in the 70s?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HmDdTSzJJ94
youtube.com/watch?v=fgjj4D7HlMY
youtube.com/watch?v=2Y5nOs8qshM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was caused by the 80s. Which were worse than the 70s in NY btw.

Drugs

> 70s caused by the 80s
> What is causality
Nice arrow of time there.

>the 70s were caused by the 80s

aftermath of 9/11

Are you saying it's better today?

Because of liberal judges legislating from the benches, letting criminals go early and tying the hands of police.

Yes. Gentrification sucks for rent prices, but it's great for making it safe to walk down the street.

NYC literally used to be the most dangerous city in America and now it's one of the safest large cities. The area Times Square is pretty much used to be dangerous to go to as opposed to a tourist attraction, and there were peep shows and shit all over.

Nah nigga, New York's decay in the 70s was caused by the Reptillian Invasion of 3247.

Niggers, drugs and crime.

Trump hadn't made his move yet

>American education

Mismanagement all forms of gov't. People who paid taxes left the city to the suburbs.

Niggers and Puerto Ricans

There's a lot more money in the city today. It is safer, but also not really affordable for "average" people anymore without public assistance.

"Progressive" Leftist trash. Another 20-30 years under people like de Blasio and it'll be right back to the 1970s.

looks like the apocalypse happened

That is back when it was a capital of culture. It is clean now but nothing comes out of it.

most interesting part about NY and the "mob" in the 70s and 80s in tv was that it was always the "syndicate" guess you couldn't offend wops associating organized crime with italaians.

>It was caused by the 80s

>trump started investing in NYC in the late 1970s, buying property that would later appreciate by 945195923459324959% by 1985

hmmm

But it makes sense... IF 9/11 caused the 80's...

Best portrayal of NY in 70's is the original "Death Wish" movie w Bronson

its funny never had any issues with puerto ricans, haitians, and brooklyns until i met them.

It was better back then.

Looks like the type of street you would get bashed late at night and left for dead.

It was run by democrats

Architect who made that pylon appear right in the end of the street and also for empire state building to fit in at the bottom arc is a motherfugin genius.

He really played 4d chess with perspective here

>It was caused by the 80s.

Damn, dat difference.

>when white people move back in

The city running out of money for dem programs. Drugs, Cocaine, Heroin and later Crack. Check out documentaries about mobsters like Carmine Galante or crooked cops like Michael Dowd.

The city became a shithole before Rudy Giuliani put mobsters in prison, became mayor and cleaned it up with his zero tolerance policy.

Forgot pic

I HATE THAT FUCKING TOWER, IT'S SO GOD DAMN UGLY

STOP RUINING THE SKYLINE REEEEE

What's that tower?

First decade after the sexual revolution of the late 60's...the 70's were a free for all.

>was

As fucked up as it sounds, it might have gone too far the other way. It's a little too clean and expensive now.

>You'll never find a street like that and hold a massive illegal warehouse rave
Feels tbqh

>inb4 degenerate

I wish I had 20 mill in the 70's to buy up a lot of property in Manhattan and Brooklyn. They were giving away townhouses for absolutely nothing, like 1000 bucks, just to get rid of them.

So pretty much what Detroit is going through?

>Another 20-30 years

more like another 10 years maximum

>UNJUST the city

As long as we acknowledge that 9/11 was caused by Benghazi...

The before pic looks better. The new pic looks sterile and filled with signage, metal, and cement.

>tfw you'll never go to a true 80s house rave

>was

italians.

how about you fuck off, fetaboy

It's an apartment building (432 Park Ave). It's actually the tallest building in the city by roof height. But they are building even taller ones:

Cool!

(((They))) demolished this building to build that piece of shit
Modern architecture is cucked indeed

damn nigga thats deep

Most of the new buildings look ugly. The new World Trade Center is also ugly.

>its not shitty now

You can see those kinds of buildings from across Manhattan, so, there is no way to avoid their ugliness, either.

NYC has all that ugly ass bright white/blue LED lighting now, we have it in toronto as well
fucking sucks

The early nineties looked like fun

youtube.com/watch?v=HmDdTSzJJ94

>It was caused by the 80s.

Looks great to me!

Nice doge.

It was
live in the nothing city of yonkers next to nyc.
teen in the 80s-90s
used to go down there on perversion excursions.
Druggies and pimp and hookers oh my.
Saw one nigger get stabbed right in front of me and many other memorable stories.

youtube.com/watch?v=fgjj4D7HlMY

niggers
no stop and frisk

and this of course

New Yorkers

You just know those buildings are crawling with crack heads and serial killers

Was NY ever not shit?

>implying it's not shitty now

People in Ukraine should not throw stones.

No. Lived there 3 years.
Can't remember any time it was not shit.

When a south african is saying it, then you know it must be real shit.
No offense.

wanna share some ?

>Gentrification sucks for rent prices, but it's great for making it safe to walk down the street.

I hear a lot about how bad Baltimore, Detroit, St Louis etc. are, would gentrification also work in those cities?

Non taken fampai

Well... to an extent. There are already gentrified areas WITHIN Detroit and other cities, but the scale of the destruction is so vast that the number of people required for gentrification is quite large.

The city of Detroit used to have 1.8 million people; now it is under 700,000. We don't really have a million or more people willing to go and gentrify the whole city.

> EVERY.
> FUCKING.
> TIME.

How much do you need to make to live comfortably in NYC?

nostalgic fags.
how would you miss those dark days when every alley you might turn hid unknown terrors?

Abortion wasn't legal in NY during the 70s.

They legalized abortion and crime rates went down, because all the black mothers were aborting their future gangbangers, so now NY is slightly less of a hell hole than it was in the 70s.

What a beautiful city

NYC & the world was 500×'s better in the 70's.
My parents were Manhattanites & Chicagoans then, the best time, & now the world needs to be set on fire

I cary a revolver or pistol at most times & fist fighting is therapeutic,
so if your not a nigger pussy faggot, you don't have shit to worry about

Average rent in Manhattan for an apartment is $3,300/month. So, $39,600/year in rent, and rent shouldn't be more than 1/3rd of your income, so at least $120K/year or so.

That rises if you have kids and have to pay private school tuition, if you want a bigger apartment, if you want a car, etc.

}^;

D´;

)-;

you mean "since" , right?

I don't see the significance

PCP laced cigarettes and Disco

> Manhattan
> car
Is this even possible

Nyc is a consumerist shithole now nothing but dunb rich foreigners and faggots from the midwest. All of the cool cultural spots have been destroyed in lieu of baby yoga and vegan cafes, the street art in brooklyn are all advertisements, more and more unique business go down every day for more and more chain restaurants and shit to placate tourists, both visitors and the wannabe hipsters that have taken over driving prices up and culture down. Avoid this place, it isnt cool anymore

Theres literally nothing here you cant get anywhere else anymore, besides some guy shitting himself on the subway forever that now instead of ignoring people pull out their phones to laugh and giggle and say "only in new york!!!"

Someday a real rain is gonna come and wash the scum back into these streets

First Detroit needs an industry

Due to the fall of the car industry everyone fucking left except niggers

It's possible, but it's not cheap. Parking garage spaces in Manhattan are usually around $550-$600 per month.

youtube.com/watch?v=2Y5nOs8qshM

comfiest time in NY desu.
I love dirt, graffitis and urban decay.
I dont know why, maybe because i live in such a multiculti shitplace like cologne all my life.
I need thugs, dirt and drugs around me, clean enviroments make me feel anxious, like i dont belong.