MARS

So Sup Forums, which nation will enact this daring plan to make Mars fit for colonization?

NASA released a general outline to a plan a while back:
>In essence, they suggested that by positioning a magnetic dipole shield at the Mars L1 Lagrange Point, an artificial magnetosphere could be formed that would encompass the entire planet, thus shielding it from solar wind and radiation.

Who here would support it, and head out to the new frontier, leaving the soft Earthers behind?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barometric_formula
pnas.org/content/98/5/2154.full.pdf
phys.org/news/2017-03-nasa-magnetic-shield-mars-atmosphere.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

didn't you get the rundown? the Bogs are bankrolling it

And how the fuck are we going to build a giant planet shielding magnet exactly?

Oh really?

Who are those guys? Anyone able to give me a quick rundown?

It's actually pretty small, and if you use superconductors (which we have the tech for) it only takes power on the MW range, which is easy enough.

Real problem is keeping it cool (which we can engineer for, it's just harder) and also spending the cash to get it up there in the first place. Lifting shit is expensive.

we're not. Either it's unnecessary or the moon landing was faked.

>spy out iron heavy asteroid
>magnet-o-drag (tm) asteroid into mars oppositional orbit
>profit?

Unless we can get some female African American highschool graduates to solve the big problems that this would entail, I think we should just hold off for now.

>cooling something sitting in a near absolute vacuum
Good luck with that

They were on the moon for just a few days, user. Take either your retard- or your schizo-pills right now.

years from now terrorists will blow it up

screencap this post

>What is the space station

It's not impossible, and keeping something cool would be easier in the vacuum, if you use superconductors there is very little (if any) heat generation.

Then just use solar panels.

>soft Earther

Living on Mars will make you and your children weak. Earth is as heavy as it gets in our solar system, as far something you can stand on.

can you give me the basic gestalt?

The frontiersmen were also weaker on average than I am now, due to malnutrition and injuries/sickness.

They were definitely tougher mentally though.

Mars cannot be colonized. Mars is much older than the Earth. Mars has no iron core and it probably got sucked out through that giant Valles Marineris and became the planet Mercury which is the same size as Valled Marineris and almost pure iron. Mars has no magnetosphere and poor gravity. It has almost no atmosphere.

Mars often has planet-wide dust storms engulfing everything. It has below freezing temperatures and even in area where the temperature during the day is bearable it is erratic and can become below freezing in an instant. Mars lost all of its water. Probably during an interaction with Earth and in to Earth which would explain how these vastly different worlds both have a 24 hourish day while not other planet does. It has craters and bulges. Scars from epic catastrophes. It's uninhabitable for colonization. Better to send the niggers and muslims and jews there as "colonists" because they will die in no time and our problem is solved back home

>thread is about creating an artificial magnetosphere to prevent the solar winds from blowing away the atmosphere of Mars

>B-bu-but no atmosphere and no magnetosphere means Mars cannot be colonized.

The estimations are that if this went through, eventually the atmosphere would become thick enough to trap enough escaping gas to warm the planet around 4 degrees. This would in turn melt the polar CO2 ice caps, releasing more atmosphere and increasing the greenhouse effect further.

Some estimates put this as eventually melting liquid water held in the soil, and returning about 1/7th of the ancient Martian oceans.

Interstellar's plot to colonize other planets other than nearby Mars makes sense now.

Same few days for the mars mission too, but now we need a L1 van allen belt simulator? Pffff.

This device is intended for colonization, not mere visitation. It would ideally be in place permanently, replaced if need be.

But you seem to have missed the point.

Easier method. Make a large space station and park it at the L1 Lagrange point. Becomes a satellite and jumping off point for back and forth travel to Earth.

Yeah, that's the problem with space. It's so hot right?

They'll also be able to basically fly with wingsuits, so there's that.

>Mercury is almost pure iron
>Mars has no water

t. not knowing anything about anything

Mars's gravity and escape velocity are to weak to keep an Earth-like atmosphere.

Didnt believe the moon landing hoax before thread. They were right all along.

Just because the other guy was being a bit dumb, doesn't mean he wasn't wrong.

Space is great at keeping things the same temperature. Other than radiating heat, you can't shed it easily.

Near perfect insulation, no convection or conduction.

If you fell out of an airlock, you'd overheat before you froze... ignoring the air requirements.

Quite a well known fact that space suits needs some insane cooling abilities when doing space walks in the sun, and heating when in shadow.

Its like space 101.

>landing

Solar wind is basically hydrogen. Mars seems to have an abundance of iron oxide.

The magnetic field could be tuned such that the solar hydrogen flow might be captured by mars and combined with the liberated oxygen from processing iron oxide into steel begins to form water/ice on mars. Rehydrating the planet.

>give MAGNETO SPHERE giant solar array
>array side facing towards the Sun is PV solar panels
>array side facing away from the Sun is IR radiator panels

This shit is basic science bro.

Fuck Earth, I've been dreaming of the stars since I was a boy. And Mars is the next best thing

>American education
>Takes literary 2 minutes to prove that mars would only need something like 2.8 the airmass of the earth to keep a steady 100 kPa on sea level.
>"The gas will just want to fly away dude away from gravity! I mean gas obviously magically dissipates since otherwise there'd be gas planets!"

Kek.
But for real, don't americans have physics in like year 1-9 like most do?

Don't forget impacting Mars with gaseous meteors and asteroids to accelerate the process.

Physics is usually year 10 or 11 depending on if you take the AP early

High School is generally
9 - Earth Science
10 - Biology
11 - Physics
12 - Chemistry

What about making a massive magnifying glass and use it to burn the spics and mudslimes on Earth

We have that throughout here, did basic experiments and physics related math from like year 3 (i.e about 10-12 .years old)
Is there any reason for you guys to start so late?

Our bodies wouldn't be very healthy for long in the Mars gravity. Any children born on Mars would grow up with bone problems, most would be cripples.

Science from age 5 until high school is generally a cycle, that goes a little more in depth every time you come back to it every ~3 years.

The 4 I listed are required by the government, and if your high school is large enough, and has a teacher capable of teaching something else, You can electively take other sciences.

They do it for space telescopes already.

>Mars is much older than the Earth.
What? How could they be different ages? Mars just cooled off faster because it's smaller, so it doesn't have a liquid core anymore.

There's nothing to dump the heat onto, so anything that generates heat will heat up really fast unless you can radiate it away efficiently.

Gotcha.

You do realize that the entire Earth is warmed up in the embrace of space right? Please tell me you know at least that much.

You would just work harder on mars. Lifting more mass. Since the weight of an object on mars is less. but the human body hasn't magically become weaker. You can lift more massive objects. The body wont know the difference.

wtf Yankees don't study all subjects of science at the same time?

WHY

The body does magically become weaker mate. Space related muscle deterioration is a serious problem even in the short term.
Also leverage and such.

Only while in the low gravity environment of space. Once on mars people will be able to lift objects that on earth they wouldn't be able to lift because the object has too much mass, and therefore weight.

Imagine curling a ten pound barbell. Well on mars you could curl one twice as massive. it would still 'feel' like a 10 pound barbell.

>>Takes literary 2 minutes to prove that mars would only need something like 2.8 the airmass of the earth to keep a steady 100 kPa on sea level.
please provide the proof then
I can see how you could provide the correct partial pressure of oxygen but I don't see how a smaller, lighter planet could maintain the same total atmospheric pressure long-term

Bones and muscles are two different things. Your bones would become brittle on Mars, children born on Mars would develop with skeletal deformities and will likely not even be able to walk properly or develop properly.

Humans who move their from Earth would experience problems with blood pressure, their bones would start to weaken. Bodies would start to produce less blood, your head would begin to expand due to pressure.

It would probably take on the low end hundreds or thousands of years of large scale industrial processes to gas up the atmosphere of mars.

It would take literally millions of years for the solar wind to strip it back to its current levels.

A magnetic field (the one this thread is about) could even provide the planet with a steady stream of solar hydrogen, actually increasing martian atmosphere. (and providing spectacular aurora)

A smart soldier asks questions.

no one mars is full up .

Bone and muscle density could likely be (at least partially) countered by issuing everyone weight suits so the appropriate stress is applied to the body.

>La Grange
A how-how-how are we gonna do this?

Physiological changes have only been studied in low gravity environments such as in LOW EARTH ORBIT of the international space station.

There, astronauts can stay for months at a time without significant health problems. Perhaps they need to re-acclimate to earth gravity, but for the most part they return healthy.

People on mars might have some long term adverse health effects. but things like bone density can be mitigated by work and exercise.

I don't think you have a very good understanding of the way gravity works. how on mars a person will be able to lift objects that on earth they wouldn't be able to.

Because on earth they would be too heavy.

They will still be stressing their muscles, and thus the body will respond by making sure the skeletal structure remains robust enough for survival.

You seem to forget that babies spend 9 months in a womb. The deformities and problems would occur before they were even born and you would have to ensure everyone is in one of these suits for the rest of their lives.

Again I'm curious. He said it was very easy and would take 2 minutes so I would like to see the calculation and reasoning.

Shitposting aside that is fuckin smart.
I mean good luck putting it into effect, but the fact that we can even think of shit like this is dope.

Ah, point. Well, there's plenty of time to think of and come up with solutions to this shit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barometric_formula

There you go. Have fun.

/thread

>Look up mars gravity
>Look up weight of earth atmosphere
>Earths mass/Mars mass * weight of our current atmosphere
>???
>Profit

Or 2 seconds of googling gives you this paper:pnas.org/content/98/5/2154.full.pdf
Can't into basic math NOR can't use google, how does your kind survive in the real world?

Spending less than a year in space does not equate to a lifetime. And yes, we could lift objects you normally wouldn't be able to lift on Earth, but that does not help infants. The babies would have to be born on Earth, develop on Earth and then move to Mars once they reached an appropriate age. Simply suggesting we lift is super impractical and a really basic idea to a complex issue.

why don't we just drench it in a cold liquid every few mins

thin atmosphere, all they'll be able to do is jump

>Inb4 you point out me not calculating for the change in diameter on earth

The atmosphere is so thin that even with it falling of as a square the difference was so small i, according to the paper, was only off by a factor of 0.2 .

Screencapped.

Because our school system structure is all kinds of retarded.
I'm not erven talking about budgets and teachers.
I'm talking about common sense shit like having Physical Education or other non mentally intensive subjects happen at the beginning of the day for students. Walk into any US classroom first thing in the morning and half the kids will be asleep or still waking up.
There are a million other ways they could make it better, like having the same teacher teach a year of students concurrently, so that the same teacher and the same style of learning is consistent throughout the years. I had four math teachers in 4 years and every one of them taught and expecting us to learn a different way. That doesn't make any sense. They didn't use the same "tricks" or ways of thinking about the math, even if it was the same general section, for instance Algebra 1 and 2.

>Walk into any US classroom first thing in the morning and half the kids will be asleep or still waking up.

School starts WAY too early. Young people are not ready to learn at all in the mornings at the typical American public school.

Wtf is wrong with America. Wherw i go we do
>Gr 8-10 Bio, Electric, Light, Chem and Physics (basic ass shit)
>Gr 11-12 elective courses of Physics, Chemisty and Bio

Shit i failed Spanish because it was my first class of the day for 2 years, and i was forced to wake up every morning at 5:30AM.

Going to the local magnet school was nice and all, but the school it was attached to was a district away.

What would happen is NASA engineered an algae to feed off the soil and turn it into O2 and ozone? Would it be possible and how long would it take?

Bio-engineering really isn't NASA's deal but if you found a way to create an organism like that it would depend on how fast the organism preforms this process, how fast the organism replicates if at all, amount of O2 being produced vs how much being converted, etc etc etc.
Lots of stuff.

Okay, but it would be possible. We just need some anarcho capitalists to come over and engineer this algae.

If I had a small loan of a million dollars I could get started.

Also, would the atmosphere need N2? Could there be more of another gas and kess nitrogen possibly?

You'd need algea or a lichen to grow there, but you'd also need something darker to trap the heat.

Like a roach or something.

Send a rocket with some engineered lichen for the roaches to eat, and you are golden on the project to terraform mars.

If i recall correctly, that did not end well.

Okay, we dont need more fucking turkey in this solar system.

Why not just make the algae black or dark green?

Also, the problem would be that how coukd we get rid of the algae once we dont need it. They need to make tge algae with a kill switch or something

M8, Black Algae doesn't work very well. It's more efficient to absorb a narrow band of energy than a very wide band. So darkening the algae won't make it more effective at existing...and would essentially cook itself / be inefficient to the point it can't reproduce.

Son. What you need are nanites.

No need to shoot down the idea so fast there

Oxygen for the most part isnt the major issue. There's plenty of it locked up in the soil that can be released, as well as the contents of the polar ice caps (which have a significant Dry Ice content)

The major issue is where you're going to the inert padding gas to fill out the rest of the atmosphere once the O2 levels have reached a suitable point.

I'd sign up for the mars colony no questions asked

But wouldnt tiny robots be expensive. And how could a bucket of nanites turn into a plabet covered in them if mars's soil doesnt have the elements/molecules for it

Does Mars have nitrogen in the soil? That would probably be the best solution, as its what we have here on earth

However, a challenge would be to find the bliss point of CO2 to keep in heat but not get too hot, like Goldilocks.

Doesnt appear so according to analysis from the rovers.

Nuclear Power. By the majesty of ECE Theory, particle radiation can be directly converted to a magnetic field. It also screws with gravity.

source

Mar's has all the elements necessary for a nanite swarm.

phys.org/news/2017-03-nasa-magnetic-shield-mars-atmosphere.html

I got the image from there, but you can find the actual report they are referencing from the info.

You do know he was right about what he said though?

Calculate the root mean square velocity of O2 at earthlike temperature and pressure then compare it to the escape velocity of Mars.

>magnetospeher

Pretending living under the ground isnt the design.

Mole pppl rise when