Hitchhiking

Hi Sup Forums I just want to know what's your opinion on hitchhiking?

Have you done it in the past, how was you're experience?

I'm thinking about going from coast to coast using only free rides. I'm doing this because I'm an Aussie, I love Americans and want to get an idea of what the average bloke thinks.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/gov.law.ncutlo.vehicle.1969
youtube.com/watch?v=xOwndONnCEk&feature=youtu.be&t=1m26s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm taking my time to plan this trip. Any places to avoid. Already going to avoid major cities and high crime zones.

its illegal on almost every highway, shia labouff just finished his NY to LA hitchhike, you should ask him for advice

I thought it was legal in most states besides a few. I know that the United States Uniform Vehicle Code states “No person shall stand in a roadway for the purpose of soliciting a ride.”

I hear you can skirt around these rules though because of the way they define roadway.

archive.org/details/gov.law.ncutlo.vehicle.1969 (United States Uniform Vehicle Code)

I didn't see Shia Labouff do it but I did see David Choe.

Avoiding major cities leaves you with more desirable people but not really a good idea of what the "average bloke" thinks. You're not going to get niggered, just stay out of the shit areas and ghettos, especially at night. I'm in Las Vegas which is considered a major city and a major tourist destination. North Las Vegas has a lot of nig crime, but most areas are fairly safe.

I've got that in mind. I'm thinking about taking some kind of pepper spray with me because I might do some camping along the way and I'm afraid of bears.

I'm also trying to improve my muay thai to increase my chance of surviving if I get in an altercation. I just don't want to get jumped.

You'll meet a few nice people, and a lovely cross-section of our nation's mentally ill. Also know that there's a fair chance you will end up in a shallow unmarked grave somewhere.

What would someone gain from murdering a hitchhiker? What's the best way to protect my self.

I'm going to try and convince anyone I get a ride from that I'm in control and that people are aware of my location.

Just try to be very aware. Carry a knife (make sure it's a legal length because you will probably interact with police at some point). Some people will be perfectly nice. Others you'll instantly know are unhinged, and you will want to get out at the very freeway exit. Listen to your instincts. You will probably be hit on by a gay man at some point. You will probably get a ride with a methhead at some point. You will hear some crazy ass rants. There's just something about picking up hitchhikers that attracts crazy people in general. You'll certainly have stories afterwards.

Oldfag here

Hitch hiked from California back to Minnesota when i was 17. The trip took me 7 days and ran across several weirdos including one faggot in a van that wanted me to go to his motel and suck my cock.

Had one redneck with a confederate flag talk about how much he hated niggers and how his family were all clan members. When he headed too far east he called on his radio and got me a ride heading north and he was a nigger with a nice sound system.

Some assclown wearing a green suit driving a station wagon tried to recruit me going door to door setting up appointments for him.

Last ride i took was from some Canadian heading back through Minnesota after getting stuck in southern Iowa for 2 days without a ride.

If youre ever in the bay area and you see a slav in a shitty 2002 bmer dont hesitate to flag me ausbro.

I'm looking forward to it. I'll probably try to record some stuff and make a podcast. I'd never take a ride where I don't feel safe.

I'd rather not take a knife as I have no knife skills and feel like there is a limited range of motion. I'm much more comfortable throwing a leg kick and knees.

Thanks for the input man I appreciate it.

Hitchhiked from mount shasta all the way to seattle in one go ended up getting work roofing aswell. Was great youll be fine

Good luck, man. Consider checking Craigslist rideshares if you get stuck somewhere too long.

Sounds like an interesting experience. It seems like a very cool way to have an almost anonymous conversation with someone in irl.

Thank you

Will do mate
I'm going to try and be very active online. I'll use craigslist, couch surfing apps and other resources to increase my odds. Maybe ask Sup Forums for help and see if I'm lucky.

most states off-ramps are illegal to hitch/solicit nowadays.

this user here hitchhiked/bummed around at twenty one to twenty three. met some good friends, re-met some best friends. got thrown in jail a few times. and met some people i hope to hell i never see again. (and is how i ended up shitposting here today)

you're better off trying ride-shares off craigslist or at the most, ask at truck stops. at least most everything is done digitally or through social media nowadays, even unconventional travel

I highly recommend a can of inferno pepper spray. Fucking highest level any pepper spray can have. Causes throat to almost close up, and only allows the barest life support breathing in humans. Also has black pepper to cause a instinctive sneeze to inhale and draw it in deeper.

If you suspect you will be jumped, start raving to yourself. To really sell it, twitch or twist your body posture in odd ways like a retard as you walk until you feel the danger has passed.

The mentally ill homeless are avoided.
A nigger would be too scared to jump a crazy motherfucker who might be fully willing to eat his face.
I highly recommend you also look at murder rates so you don't accidentally stroll into a town with a murderer on the loose.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've had some experience hitchhiking and staying in the ghetto in North America (Jane an Finch, Harlem) I've luckily managed to avoid awkward situations simply due to being a foreigner.

A reserves IDF officer once killed two British tourist hikers. He got 9 years.

>ask at truck stops.
i wouldn't do this

If I happen to die that's that. I feel that the experience is worth the risk.

true ayk chually. but i would take the approach to look as most uncriminally innocent and interestingly colorful as possible like OP's picture.

If they were locals he'd get life. It's a lot less risky when you do it in your own country.

Back home I live in a rural town and know a few truck drivers. Most of them are like you're average Joe trying to get by. Of course you're going to find a few weirdos.

youtube.com/watch?v=xOwndONnCEk&feature=youtu.be&t=1m26s

You'll get murdered

Only crazy people are crazy enough to pick a hitchhiker up these days. Although if I did, I would pick you up, hand you a stack of pancakes and not say a single word the entire drive.

I used to thumb rides back in the 90s with no ill effects, but have no need of that these days. Two years ago I picked up a pair of little punker boys heading south to Madison, and a couple months ago I stopped for an old man with a little doggo zipped into his coat during a snowstorm. Drove him about 15 miles out of my way and gave him my spare leash, lel.