Is Jordan Peterson any good?

Is Jordan Peterson any good? I watched a few brief clips on YouTube and he seemed kind of generic. Not much in terms of original ideas.

Why do people like him so much? Would like to understand.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pxJzWcwcRd0
youtube.com/watch?v=04wyGK6k6HE
youtube.com/watch?v=07Ys4tQPRis
youtube.com/watch?v=-RCtSsxhb2Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Dat feel when you're too young or inexperienced to understand cultural happenings

I'd suggest you lurk moar.

TL;DR one of the few professors that will tell SJW to fuck off grants him cred in the online community

Here you go OP youtube.com/watch?v=pxJzWcwcRd0

Seems like Sup Forums never discovered Alan Watts.

>I watched a few brief clips on YouTube

theres your problem

watch his course on personality

He's nothing special and none of his arguments are above pathetic youth minister fare.

Christjuden on Sup Forums keep posting fake news that he rekt Sam Harris a few weeks ago when he actually looked like a mumbling cucklord with dementia.

Peterson is actively being shilled for by CIA

wew. So all attempts to make Moly, Styx, Sargon, Crowder and Watson look bad failed and now you start a war against Peterson. Fuck off shill

s
a
g
e

I know right
Making critical remarks about conservative figures is now some kind of meme

>some alcoholic piece of shit

This kind of sums of my initial impression. Second-rate philosophy cloaked in pseudo-scientific jargon. Generic.

But I'll watch a few more videos that these Sup Forumsacks suggest and see if I can be convinced otherwise.

>Sort man
>conservative

Pro free speech != conservative

He has some interesting ideas for self help type shit, but he was all about "checking out" and "acceptance", that is not what Jordan is about.

I'm a big fan of his work on Daoism, Buddhism, and Hinduism. He opened my eyes to ancient Eastern wisdom. Pretty powerful stuff, IMHO. His take on Christianity is also pretty unique; still trying to get a hold of Behold the Spirit.

>This kind of sums of my initial impression. Second-rate philosophy cloaked in pseudo-scientific jargon. Generic.

What you call second-rate philosophy, I call philosophy grounded in common sense without pointless intellectual masturbation that renders it useless and tedious to decipher.

What you call pseudo-scientific jargon I call backing your claims with data.

I'm usually very allergic to pretentious intellectuals spouting wishy-washy bullshit and Jordan Peterson is not one of them. He's a guy who takes many established concepts and neatly puts them together into one complete, healthy and rational worldview.

He's not perfect, but finding him is the best damn thing that can happen to young, lost angry and confused anons who populate this board in throngs, so don't fucking diss him just to be cool and contrarian.

He's obviously not stupid but he vaguely rambles on way too much for my tastes and cloaks things in deep layers of metaphors without expanding and analytically explaining them enough for my tastes. Seems to open to interpretation and not razor-focused and concise enough, to the point that a lot of arguments are not even made or are missed out IMO which could be made but are lost in some of the noise and incoherence.

You know how i know you're low iq

Well then you have exposed yourself as an ignorant idiot.
You don't know anything about philosophy, it's incredibly evident.

That's not a problem, not everyone has to be interested in philosophy, but you're making claims about it which you could only utter if you were well-versed in philosophy, which again, you aren't.

I agree with the last part, he does what he does well, but yes he is a second-grade philosopher -if- he even considers himself one.

Ok, I'm not that into philosophy, I pretty much only read Nietzsche and Marcus Aurelius, I intensely disliked nearly all the rest.

I should say that he's not a "second-rate" philosopher, he's not really a philosopher and that's perfectly ok.

Hmm, too old to care about being cool anymore. Not looking to be edgy or contrarian. Just don't understand, Sup Forumsack. Will look into the man some more.

>i am the authority on philosophy!
what are your credentials again?

He's absolutely safe to put your trust in--he stands for the truth, common sense, logic, and reason.

He tells it exactly the way it is, and doesn't talk beyond what he knows for a fact.

this is user's 'new to peterson' pasta

i think for someone new to peterson

the joe rogan interview is a good starting off point: youtube.com/watch?v=04wyGK6k6HE

and this interview gives a really good overview of his thoughts and the interviewer does a great job at asking the right questions to move jordan along and explain things more: youtube.com/watch?v=07Ys4tQPRis

after those two you could start watching the lectures for one of his two courses (personality or maps of meaning)

and just go through the back catalog of his assorted talks and interviews at your leisure (quite a few of them are on other channels, some of which you can find on his youtube playlists page but some which you cannot).

i liked this little "debate" (they largely agree, but achieve some meaningful synthesis after wrestling with each others' ideas as well) he had with a fellow professor: youtube.com/watch?v=-RCtSsxhb2Q

Will watch, Sup Forumsack. Thanks.

alan watts is plebbit tier.