Automation

businessinsider.com/experts-predict-that-one-third-of-jobs-will-be-replaced-by-robots-2015-5
money.cnn.com/2015/11/13/news/economy/jobs-at-risks-robots/

>increasing automation
>more unstable part time jobs are being made than full time jobs with benefits
>gig economy is here
>reports that up to half of all jobs will be automated by the end of the 2020s
>still no transition plan

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LC-1PCu69M4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_unemployment#Solutions
sciencealert.com/scientists-have-just-announced-a-brand-new-form-of-matter-time-crystals
youtube.com/watch?v=1QPiF4-iu6g
youtube.com/watch?v=fsF7enQY8uI
youtube.com/watch?v=o3q2mXDSqRU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What do you do for a living OP? You sound concerned

>inb4 teh robbos tuk our jaaaabz
learn a fucking trade, or come up with a business where you can profit from automation

Yep and it would be perfectly viable to have a basic income and highly expand automation if the US was still 90% white and didn't get mass immigration from the third world.

Automation won't kill jobs. It will only enhance it and change it a bit.

At the same time they are importing millions of low skilled labourers from the third world . Too late to go back now

I work at Walmart for grocery pick up. Amazon's new stores and this will drop me:
youtube.com/watch?v=LC-1PCu69M4

>expecting tens of millions of people to work where there's only 3 million open jobs that are also at some risk

UBI no, NIT maybe.

The opposite is true.
pic related

Well, all the illegals do the manual jobs right? Takes away the jobs off of Americans. This way, we won't need illegals to do labor work while our robots do it for us and educated Americans get to maintain these robots.

Well if you're not motivated or financially capable enough to pick up a new skill set in 5 years, then there's no saving you. I'm sorry but generations of men have been made obsolete since the dawn of industrialization. Now is our time

It extends far beyond manual labor. IBM's Watson is accurately diagnosing cancer and helping people with taxes, and it's only getting started. Doctors won't be entirely replaced soon, but their profession will still undergo major changes.

So? There will be jobs, you know? Why are you such in the way of technological progress anyway? Money is the source of evil, if you think of it as "Oh I need money to survive" than "Oh I need food and water to survive" then it won't be a good ideology. Sure you can have a job after robots take over manual work, there will be jobs increasing automation and making new break through. Don't tell me that only certain people do this because I'm in Engineering school and there are a lot of people in my class that SUCK ASS and still pass.

Universal basic income, supplemented by a tax on each robot a company uses.

Are there any philosophers or scientists on that transition case?

I know that its a topic in scifi, but I havent read anything proper in that regard.

Taxing robot labour and redistributing the wealth is pretty much the only way.

DESU SENPAI I'd rather be a NEET and let the robots do the job. That way I can focus on being happy than suffer.

Unless otherwise, you love doing a certain job. You can have robot friends.

>many jobs will always require human action
>many factories are too small to afford automated systems
>in many situations it's just not economically good to invest into automation, and hire a common Joe in assembly lines will always be more convenient in the vast majority of cases (see: airplane assembly)
>in the worst cases, humans are still ultimately need as a supervision role
>the situation will be critical only by the time we live in a I, Robot tier of reality, and still they would require supervision
>unless we invent some super clever AI, which is pure sci-fi, factories won't invest so much into automated systems that can fuck up due to programming or assembling errors without being clever enough to adjust themselves to fix it that would throw millions, at best, of dollars worth of production in the trash bin
Automation is convenient only in a small portion of production systems, like bottling water.
Stop spreading the fear. If you're even remotely in the field you'd know I'm right.

>UBI for everyone
>what's stopping every employer from only paying the minimum wage?
>what's stopping every retailer from artificially inflating their goods?

>taxing automation
>what's stopping companies from moving their automated plants offshore?

The coming decades will be a bloodbath, user.

a quick rundown
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_unemployment#Solutions
basically, we're due for another war
and china is the final developing nation
everything below her is scheduled for removal

>implying automation hasn't been replacing jobs since jobs have existed

If you're valuable to the marketplace you'll get paid in accordance with how much your labor is worth... there are no exceptions.

I'm not against technological progress at all provided that there's a transition where it's possible to survive without a 9-5 job.

UBI would just inflate prices after automation reduces them. It's a lose-lose.

How would that even work?

Being a NEET for too long will fuck with you mentally. Come to think of it, compensated self improvement might be the ideal transition made to prevent social decay and keep people productive and maintain an automated society.

i want ultimate comfy, i want them shits delivered.

Well by NEET I mean like, having more free time and doing things to enjoy life as more tedious things are automated.

Sorry I chose the wrong word for it.

>How would that even work?
taxing the robots the same way you tax employees

Here's a funny game for you...

>Go to a politics board on reddit
>Preferably one full of centre-right middle class hand-wringers who are too weak for Sup Forums but too edgy for the basic boards
>r/ukpolitics is perfect
>Pick any thread from the day, preferably about an actual issue, not polling or meme tweets
>Count the posts until someone mentions automation as the solution to any problem, regardless of how fucking outlandish it is.

It's amazing how quick those fags put a finger in the air and go 'Erm..... AUTOMATION!' then offer zero further explanation.

Yes, automation and AI is probably coming. But robot doctors and shit are a fucking long way away. And when it does arrive, YOU aren't going to be in the tent pissing out like you think you are. It'll be Elysium, not Futurama.

>robots taking jobs
>in the future there will be an answer to this
>right now there isnt

sucks that were living in the transition stage where were getting fucked by automation but theres nothing in place yet to help those being replaced

US Politics won't let it change. The market will be stifled due to government approved monopolies, as new jobs will not materialize fast enough

You can autistically screech and writhe how ever much you like, but the more I look into it, the increasingly confident I am that communism is the only answer to this problem

unrelated to automation, that's the result of changing financial practices and globalization
or do you think there was no automation before '75?

There are already robot doctors, stem cell therapies and other "future tech" but it's not mainstream.

The fact it's available and not mainstream suggests that you are spot on about the Elysium thing.

The time to slip into the tent unnoticed is running out - if your not at a management level within a gobally relevant tech company (at a first world site) or successful entrepreneur who could get in, good luck.

>MFW as a NEET

2 options I can think of:

1) One worker = 10k personal income tax/year
If a robot replaces one worker, the employer must still pay that 10k income tax for that robot.
If a robot replaces 2 workers, the employers must pay 20k income tax per year, ...

> BASED ON BELGIUM NUMBERS
yearly cost of a robot would be 10k (without maintenance)
yearly cost of an employee would be 33.5k (giving that income tax)

that robot would still only cost 1/3 of a normal employee.

This will make sure that the government has enough tax-income to create perhaps some form of UBI.

2) Replace all workers with robots.
Make sure it is easy for everyone to buy stocks of companies/factories.
lower dividend-tax while increasing the normal corporate tax. This will create an incentive to give out a high dividend yield.
because the common folk has shares they can provide themselves with the dividends they recieve.

Or combine them

Automation was not nearly significant enough to mess with the trends. Exponentially increasing computation speed and processing power is driving the gap.

Programming is surprisingly easy to learn if you are motivated to do it, not only you'll have a good paying job, but you will be responsible for the robots and the millions of jobless people

It feels so overwhelming at the start.

It's really easy once you get the hang of it, you'll write thousands of lines of codes a day, i recommend freecodecamp, they teach you step by step and they'll even find a job for you, or you can go to the library and get a book about the language you want to learn and start your own project, start small and you'll learn a lot

Laborers are always going to be paid in accordance to the value they provide to the market.

If you don't provide any value(ie you are useless) then you won't get paid. If your labor is valuable then you get paid.

Automation has been replacing jobs ever since there was work to be done. And stop linking articles from 2 years ago.

There have been car diagnostic programs for decades yet car mechanics haven't lost their jobs. If anything, their jobs are now easier.

sciencealert.com/scientists-have-just-announced-a-brand-new-form-of-matter-time-crystals

youtube.com/watch?v=1QPiF4-iu6g

youtube.com/watch?v=fsF7enQY8uI

youtube.com/watch?v=o3q2mXDSqRU

Okay, artificial magic and racist androids when?

>3000hours course
Its overwhelming.
It looks really well laid out though.

I've got this Java book here that I'm slowly working through, but I'll check out that site too.
Thanks.

Anyone can be a codemonkey, that's why India is such a successful programming country. You have to be good in order to get payed well. Currently, it's easier to hire a codemonkey since programmer salary is higher than additional computational power needed to run his abomination but I'm sure we'll move into the "code efficiency" era soon enough.

user is right. It's very expensive and complicated to have a robot do the simplest of repetitive work.... it will be a whole generation before they are capable of making easy decisions.

NIT is pants on head retarded compared to UBI, as it provides a serious negative incentive for work. Unless the only factor you're considering is current affordability, which says nothing as the entire premise revolves around an imminent second (or perhaps third) industrial revolution.

>this much of a degenerate

It's a matter of what kind of cars are on the road and need to be repaired. If electric cars with diagnostic programs are common, mechanics would just go the way of computer repairmen. The trend is towards autonomous driving and electric and both will considerably lower demand for those jobs.

Reminder that Basic Income is a new scam from old communists