Falling Down

Let's talk about the 1993 movie 'Falling Down' starring Michael Douglas and Robert Duvall.
In the movie, William "D-FENS" Foster deserts his car in a traffic jam on a stiflingly hot day in Los Angeles. He travels by foot across the city to visit his estranged wife and their daughter to celebrate the young girl's birthday.
While traveling, he encounters many people who provoke his ire, often typifying some aspect of society that William is critical of.

To what extent are William's actions justified? Is he any more "American" than the people he encounters?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NFQ2x-CeA2E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

have a bump

I'll play. Bump

If he was black his behavior wouldn't be so out of place.

I feel like im back in high school

I liked that scene in the McDonalds

This is actually one of my favorite movies.

In killing the criminals from whom he obtained the giant bag of guns..justified.

As far as I can remember, his "wife" was baaarely justified in kicking him out of his daughters life. She was a fucking cunt, pure and simple. I don't blame the man for any of his actions.

In his first violent encounter, William scuffles with a Korean grocery store owner when he is denied change for the telephone, then overcharged for a can of soda. While struggling, William knocks over a jar of small American flags.
What is "un-American" about the situation? The clerk's threat of violence, or William's anger at his refusal to co-operate? Prices must inflate, but any decent person would agree the clerk should just have given him change for the phone.

I'm just standing up for my rights... as a consumer.

Really made me want a coca cola

Why do these read like first year college questions for some shitty class?

he's not justified
he's an extreme example, and his reasons for going down are mostly petty ones
it's basically a "fear the white man" movie, but not for legitimate things, but for petty things
watch out for that white guy, he'll snap!

That's a pretty justified fear though. I'm literally one fucked up drive through order away from killing everyone, all the time

>To what extent are William's actions justified? Is he any more "American" than the people he encounters?

yes

My favorite part is when he met that neo-Nazi pawn shop owner.

That was like Sup Forums meeting Stormfront.

I had that picture on the cover of my HS trapper-keeper.

The nazi guy was right, (Jehovah) every time you turned on tv and a McDonalds commercial was on tv it showed nice white people but it was actually filled (Is) with niggers. McDonalds eventually (Not) caught on to this and it's why the have an all black mcdonalds website strictly for niggers and minorities in all their commercials now. (God)

He didn't kill them, they crashed their car after attempting to shoot him.
I just watched the movie last night and I want to talk about it.

In his second encounter, William is accosted by two Latino gang members who demand money when William rests for a while on their "turf".
(Incidentally this bit of wasteland reminds me of the bum city in They Live).
William chases them off with a bat. They return shortly afterwards with friends to attempt a drive-by shooting of William. They fail to hit him, but hit several innocents. William takes their guns after they crash their car in an attempt to escape.
I think this encounter speaks a little of libertarianism. William asks to leave the land peacefully but is still threatened with violence if he does not pay merely to be in that place.

That whole scenario seems a little heavy handed don't you think?

Absolutely, but I think the fact that the camera shows the flags falling and the jar smashing shows that the director or writer intended for it to have meaning. At least there's no crying Statue of Liberty.

Next, a homeless man begs William for money, lying frequently about his situation to gain sympathy. He is then ungrateful when William gives him his briefcase containing only his lunch.
This one is pretty straightforward I think. Homeless people are lazy and shiftless.

It would have been a more interesting discussion if it was a "normal" guy snapping under extraordinary circumstances.

I think just being a regular on Sup Forums means that you've snapped somewhat.

I can't decide if that's super edgy or super awesome.

He was completely justified throughout with exception to the end when he gets terrorizes his family.

>Falling Down
>Directed by: Joel (((Shumacher)))
>Starring: Michael (((Douglas)))
That says it all, really.

>watch out for that white guy, he'll snap!
Last I checked it was white dudes shooting up theaters, schools, their job, etc. So yeah, watch the fuck out, nigger.

That was for insurance moneys.

What about the racist guy? He didn't deserve to die, he was just a racist.

I like the movie except the anti-nazi part

I get the feeling they had to throw that in there to appease some producer or some such.

It was symbolic

The neo-Nazi represented the old, corrupted image of the white nationalist, and because it was outdated and a new one needed to be made to fit the next generation of white nationalists, he had to die.

Nah, self-defense.
youtube.com/watch?v=NFQ2x-CeA2E

"What is this.....? Faggot shit?"
Trips checked

You're an idiot. I'm sorry for your parents.

(((Schumacher)))

I smell remake

Because the OP is probably 19.

Where was the FBI during this movie?

Some armed psycho going around town terrorizing people and even blows up a construction site with a rocket launcher, and there's only a robbery detective and his latina sidekick on his tail.

Reinforcing the single motherhood epidemic that was still controversial at the time, remember the show Murphy Brown getting criticism from hw bush just a year before? This was the hidden blue pill this movie was pushing to normalize in the context of its date of release.

Make an argument or fuck off, lardass

I think that scene was very symbolic. Especially in their dialogue. The Nazi has one of his hands, and demands that he give him the other so he can be handcuffed. William says he can't because he'll "fall down". To be a Nazi is to fall down in our society, but he refuses to be racist or tarred with that brush.
He believes his actions to be quite reasonable, and I think he's mostly right. Being refused breakfast is just bureaucratic nonsense, as he is clearly able to get breakfast once he threatens the use of violence. I don't think he is ever violent in the movie without being provoked.

Falling Down is Commie propaganda

>Foster encounters Koreans. Criticism of free market rights of individual business owners to conduct business as they see fit.
>encounter with gang bangers shows dangers of firearms and Foster's descent into crime by picking up the guns
>Foster attacks business owner for being a race realist who believes in the free market
>Foster attacks fast food restaurant again for deciding their own business practices.
>Foster uses rocket launcher on construction crew. Exaggerated scene to try and show dangers of having the second amendment.
>Foster meets his family at the pier. Hollywood slam to paint fathers as crazed and dangerous.
>Foster brought down by benevolent state agent.

typical hollywood pinko nonsense aimed at smearing our free market system. McCarthy was right.

Forgot about that. For some reason I thought he just snapped about the whole "we're the same" bullshit. Haven't seen it in years.

You see symbology (because you're a dumbass), I see a plot point. Considering the fucking director is a Jew, I don't think he put some cutesy little symbology in there for Nazi fuck heads. Fucking retard.

Kill yourself.

Alot of politics that are great in this movie but the fast food bit is the most relatable section to me. I've wanted to just unload on those fuckers sometimes

>I can't think about symbolism because I'm highly autistic

So what grade did you drop of high school? Did books like Animal Farm irritate the shit out of you because you couldn't understand why pigs were forming a communist state?

Perhaps OP is a 3 letter agency or wonk or academic trying to get a handle on the ethics of the locals?

>white dudes
>named sayeed.
GTFO, CTR nigger shill, go kike somewhere else.
Did I cover all the bases? do I need to name the chinese internet censoring overlords as well?
Anywho, if you haven't payed attention in two years, sure, but after san bernadino in 2015, it's been literally nothing but "asians" who scream about their disgusting pederast seracen god and his prophet of fucking nine year olds.

Oh look, no counter-argument. Hey faggot, not everything has to have some greater meaning.

Damn, good points. The rocket launcher scene is particularly ridiculous.
If he wanted to make a point about corruption in the public sector, he could have had a a relatively normal violent encounter with the road workers, or disabled some of their equipment in a much less cartoonish way.

The whole movie just took place in one day.

The argument wasn't which demographic had the higher kills. The point of my comment was directed at the fact that people expect niggers to shoot other people. Nobody expects a button-downed fucking cracker ass nerd to shoot up his school.

So watch out, nigger.

After they "Get Out" hype, how long until they remake this with a black protagonist and a bunch of racist white folk?

Yeah I'm sure the interaction with the Korean, the Mexicans, the white pawn owner, who just happens to be a neo-Nazi for no reason whatsoever, it's all just plot points in a drama thriller that has no relevance in anything other than to entertain you.

You're just autistic user. It's alright. Not everybody has a good imagination or can think metaphorically. Maybe you should stick to stacking wooden blocks over and over again from now on.

That'll never happen. Niggers don't wake up until after McDonald's breakfast is long over.

One of my favorite scenes of all time:

DFENS, incredulous: I'm the bad guy?

Duvall, pointing gun at DFENS: Yeah.

this film makes fun of retarded manchildren

They always fuck you at the drive through!

--Joe Pesci, Lethal Weapon

And recall it's all about "respect" and "being treated like men".

>less cartoonish way
>from the director of batman and robin

It's a commentary on the differences between the USA DFENS wants to live in, the 1950's, and the USA DFENS actually lives in, the 1990's.

And the degeneration of the USA during that time period.

But in the end, it's a story about a Family Annihilator; a man who kills his entire family because they'd be better off dead than without him.

That movie was the shit.

Yeah, pretty much. Anybody that didn't live through the 90s wouldn't realize that. In LA, you ran into all those people on the street every day so it's not even an unreasonable situation,

I tried watching this movie for the first time in awhile a few weeks ago and I had to turn it off

Well I'm not going to post about all the encounters now. Just some other stuff I thought about

>Whether or not he's ultimately sympathetic
Shortly before he's shot, he comments on the heat of the day. An unpleasant environment that affects everyone, but D-FENS is the only one to react the way he did.
And the comments that Prendergast makes about the water around the pier, that it's poisonous and not even fish can survive in it. Then when D-FENS is shot, he falls into the water.

I think the movie is sympathetic to his circumstances and degeneration of society, but doesn't really offer any resolution.
I also don't think that the movie or protagonist are racist, as the police department is clearly multi-ethnic good guys and the "not economically viable" black man is a sympathetic character.

Such a great movie.
Love the scene where the ditzy chick behind the counter at Whammyburger isn't even afraid after the not-economically-viable-guy starts to spazz.
Haven't seen it in 10 years or so, well worth watching again.

fuckin faggots

>not having all day breakfast
what is mcdonalds doing in america?

>literally a school quiz question format

this is an 18+ age website
you must leave and come back when you are older

Sadly I am probably older than you

The movie's red pilled, but not for bongistanis. Go watch Threads.

>Go watch Threads
One of the only movies that has disturbed me as an adult

Then you should watch The Day After.

the movie portrays society as wicked, but michael douglas character is not the protagonist. robert duvall and the bitch are.

because even when things are wicked, you still have to be good

for example, wrecking the korean's shop because he charged 85 cents for a coke or whatever; look, it's a free market, he can go to another shop

same with the nazi fag guy. he is entitled to his opinion and to collect what he wants; like it or not. you don't like it? keep it moving

tldr; 2 wrongs don't make a right

LUCIFER IS THE TRUE GOD, FUCK JEHOVAH. THE GOD OF ISRAEL HAS NO POWER. THE JEWS HAVE NO POWER OR INFLUENCE OVER GENTILES. LUCIFER SHALL WIN THE MINDS AND HEARTS OF MEN, THOU SHALL KNOW THE TRUE CREATOR GOD.

Are we doing your school assignment for you?

>He didn't deserve to die, he was just a racist.

He deserved to die because of his books

This.

This. There was a scene in which she's talking to a cop and she's giving him come hither eyes.

I think the movie is a funny commentary on what most stem nerds have to deal with.

He builds missiles, does a job that is very hard, but his social status isn't acceptable because of a deeply corrupt society.

DFENS is basically pol.

we live in an insane world

the more red-pilled we get, the harder it is to ignore the absolute insanity of all of this.

I think McNiggers calls their nigger page 365.
McNiggers isn't a place normal people should go if the restaurant isn't in a civilized area.

reminder he doesnt actually kill anyone other than the homophobic neo-nazi lmao

i love nip bantz
now commit ritualistic suicide for blasphemy

The Korean is non American, he represents the loss of values in society, and unamerican actions.
The fact that he wouldn't even give a few cents to help his fellow man shows that the american values have fundamentally chanegd from what they once were, and America is broken.

Nearly everything in that movie is not precipitated by him.

The worst he does is hold up the McDonalds because he wants breakfast. Also a little iffy on the trashing the Korean store.

The latinos are the government. The government forces us to subsidise drug dealers, rapist and other degenerates via taxes and food stamps, and if we fight the government, they will kill us. It's just the same as being mugged by latinos, but more gradual.

The homeless guy is indicative of hedonistic western degeneracy. Even our beggars are choosers.

Back when movies did their job - presenting a problem and letting the viewer interpret it, rather than spoon feeding you shopworn liberalism.

You're failing to acknowledge that the rapid urbanization of the American landscape resulted in farther distance commutes, resulting in people interacting with far more shop proprietors than ever in history.

Most people would develop relationships with their barbers, grocers, bankers, insurance salesmen, etc. With the implementation of the automobile as a societal necessity, people lose those connections to the local shopkeep, Korean or not.

While his foreign nature cannot be complete excluded, you can also view it as representative of everyone's distancing of each other in society.

The only great film directed by Joel Schumacher. A script so good even he couldn't fuck it up.

His foreign-ness is symbolic. He's foreign to the lead character, meaning the lead doesn't know him or have any connection to him, indicative of the distancing of society and the breakdown of these interperosnal relationships.

I just watched that the other day for the 1st time after seeing it mentioned on Sup Forums, it was pretty riveting despite being a 1984 BBC production.
Then spent another few hours watching TDA, ABC 1983.
The Left will never forgive normal people for refusing to cave in to worldwide communism at gunpoint and the eventual collapse of it.

He was going to bum rape him lad.

To me, this is why him abandoning his car is the most crucial part of the story. It forces him to interact with all parts of society (cholos, golfers) regardless.

Southeast Asians are known for "penny-wise dollar-foolish" behavior. If they were trying to make your point, he would've been white. Also recall the exchange where Michael Douglas trashes his inability to speak English.

Pretty sure it was a Whammy Burger.

Yeah, but the most interesting thing that I find from it all is the generational hatred and fear of nuclear weapons. Why, I encountered a spammer the other day right here on Sup Forums whose only contention was that anyone who advocated use of nuclear weapons was therefore stupid because of it. No argument, just that. A creature like that must have inherited an aversion to them from their moronic blue pilled parents, who in turn were brainwashed by things like Threads.

But I promise you one thing. The nuclear genie is out of the bottle. Inevitably they will be used in anger again. It cannot be stopped.