Do we want these people to have electoral delegates? Isn't it a third world shit hole that can't even keep the power on...

Do we want these people to have electoral delegates? Isn't it a third world shit hole that can't even keep the power on? Don't they owe the US billions?
Wouldn't it better for us to keep them as our vassal state?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican_status_referendum,_2017
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The whole country is irrelevant, move on.

It's the Greece of the Caribbean. And I mean that in the worst way possible.

keep us as a territory, but send a little bit more money if you don't mind

I'm fine with admitting them to the Union. If they wanted to, they can come to mainland US already, so it's not like statehood would change that.
They can't declare bankruptcy to restructure debt, and that's something statehood would allow them to do.
An alternative is to watch them get fucked over and flood the continental US. Let them join the union and Make Puerto Rico Great Again.

if they vote for statehood we should vote to drop them hard, and let them have independence. give all PR people with home in US a year to decide citizenship.

they havent grown up enough yet.

No way, Greece is full of history and it has resources. P.R. has some potential, but nowhere near the same.

Is FALN still active there?

Not a bad argument desu, I don't dislike the people. I just question the timing, not sure we want them in play for a 2020 election...

>I just question the timing, not sure we want them in play for a 2020 election
I've thought about that too. Adding Puerto Rico would give Puerto Rico about 7 votes, the same as Connecticut currently.

If we deport the 11+ million people that don't belong in our country, that's about 15-20 electoral votes that won't be going to blue states by my estimate. Electoral votes are assigned to state based on population. Remove 11 million people that don't belong, you redistribute where those votes go.

If they're going to join, they should join during a Republican presidency, and a Republican controlled congress.

The last FALN guy was killed, one guy was recently freed but he's like 80 years old

I suspect he may die in a shoot out secretly

Wait for the result in next referendum.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican_status_referendum,_2017

Yea 7 isn't much of a dent even if they go like California.

What the issues with the power plants there? Is it corruption?

>vassal state
we dont have near enough autonomy to be considered a vassal state

Mostly lack of money combined with being an island. Hawaii has similar problems, if you're an island you can't buy and sell excess power, causes problems. There was a proposal to hook up to the Dominican Republic but that's been stalled.

There was some corruption with regards to oil purchases but that was really ancillary.

That makes sense, interesting.
How would it change the avg persons life in Puerto Rico? Is the bankruptcy the primary motivation politically?

Does Puerto Rico even want to be an American state? I mean, they get the fundamental rights under the Constitution with none of the responsibilities, which from what I've heard is a pretty sweet gig.

Can't declare bankruptcy is the main thing at this moment, if PR wants to become state it's solely and absolutely for economical reason.

K, thx for the info.

I think you replied to the wrong guy

I dont really understand why they arent independent desu. Like puerto rico is spanish speaking right? What use is to to the usa?

they got us during their manifest destiny phase and forgot about us for about a hundred years

I don't want to hear about it - you got a nuclear reactor near Rincon, a big ass telescope, and tons of coquis to export to aquariums worldwide.

Start earning your keep.

the nuclear reactor was never activated, the telescope is obsolete and coquis aren't enough to sustain an economy

Those island niggers can't even speak Spanish properly. They should be cut loose.