Study: Employers Discriminate Against Job Applicants if they "sound gay"

nypost.com/2017/03/21/men-discriminate-against-job-applicants-if-they-sound-gay-study/

archive.is/VfX8p

---

Discrimination doesn’t stop at looks or gender.

According to a new a study published in Archives of Sexual Behavior, having a voice that people perceive as “gay” or “lesbian” can affect someone’s chance of getting hired or receiving a promotion. This shows that gay men and lesbian women may potentially be missing out on career opportunities, due to the sound of their voice.

Additionally, the study showed that only heterosexual men hold this bias.

Researchers at the University of Surrey played manipulated recordings of gay and heterosexual men and women to 40 heterosexual men. The participants were also shown a picture of the speaker, but their sexual orientation was not disclosed.

Dr. Fabio Fasoli, the study’s lead author, told Broadly that you obviously can’t judge whether a person is gay or straight based on their voice, but a stereotype unfortunately does exist. Gay men are often stereotypically perceived as sounding feminine, while lesbian women are perceived to sound more masculine. The research team manipulated the voice recordings based on a previous study where they asked volunteers to guess a person’s sexual orientation from their voice.

Once participants heard the clip and saw the photograph, they were asked if the person was a qualified applicant for a hypothetical high-level executive position, and what type of salary they should receive.

The discriminatory findings revealed that heterosexual men were less likely to reward people they perceived as gay-sounding, over their perceived straight-sounding applicants.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/6xNS7
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is this supposed to be a problem?

As they should.

How is this not a problem? The person could've actually been an excellent employee. Sad to be qualified but rejected just because your voice sounded "weird." What does this mean for people with speech impediments?

stop sounding gay

problem fix'd

If they're qualified and do a good job someone else will hire them and put the bigot at a competitive disadvantage

Why does it matter what their sexuality is if it has nothing to do with their job?

If there was a new report like this saying heterosexual white males were discriminated against in the same way as these "gay-sounding" people, you guys would be up in arms.

>not imitating the voice of that guy on the radio shilling the testosterone booster

>heterosexual white males were discriminated against in the same way
There are huge sections of the job market where heterosexual white men are explicitly discriminated against.

Because the lisp is an irritating affectation, not an actual accent or disability.

>mentally ill person
>capable of being ''excellent''
go away ezra

I would too. Don't need some mentally ill faggots prancing around my work place. If you can tell someone is gay from their application then there is something wrong with them.

Sounds good. I sure wouldn't hire a guy with a flaming fag lisp. Nobody will take him seriously.

sorry i don't hire mentally ill faggots. Not worth the headache.

This

Faggots have those disgusting flamboyant voices that turn entire rooms of people off. They make someone not want to do business with them. That hurts a company, and is why they'll take in the guy that sounds fucking normal.

>problem

Property owners (productive members of society) are naturally disgusted with traditionally non-productive (parasitic) human beings. Since pederasts are usually childless, hypersexual and prey on children (the embodiment of the traditional family), property owners seek to discriminate against them.

So to speak.

Good. If a nigger came to your office talking in Ebonics you wouldn't hire him so why should I hire the faggot with a lisp.

In retail it does not matter. You can be full blown, over the top queer and they will love you.

>The person could've actually been an excellent employee.

You hire who you want, but I would hate to see the company I work for lose an account because one of my coworkers was unable to convincingly rail the shit out of a hooker while entertaining a client. It would reflect poorly on all of us.

good

of course. Because heteros are normal, you stupid fag!

So people with speaking problems are less likely to be hired?

>they were asked if the person was a qualified applicant for a hypothetical high-level executive position
Oh look, it's a job where speaking ability is desired. If you go into the interview acting like a mumbling autist, you'll have a shitty chance of getting the job too.

Why do they have to sound gay? Why does being gay change the way you talk? They do it to fit in, if you want to promote someone your gonna go with the the guy who doesn't sound like they are thing about sexuality all the damn time.

>Dr. Fabio Fasoli, the study’s lead author, told Broadly that you obviously can’t judge whether a person is gay or straight based on their voice

What? Bullshit. I might not be able to tell a guy is gay from his voice 100% of the time, but a faggy lisp is usually a dead giveaway. Couple the voice with a face and you can make a pretty good guess. It's easier to tell if a person is black from listening to their voice than it is to tell if they're gay though. Even a black guy that speaks proper English sounds black.

Join the OFFICIAL /polgb/ Discord:

discord.gg/6xNS7

>The person could've actually been an excellent employee.

How? By alienating my customer base and always bringing in his faggot friends to suck dick on the showroom floor while I'm away? No fucking way.

How are the chaps fitting buddy?

>tfw no extermination camps for subhuman degenerate garbage mentally ill disgusting faggots

>What does this mean for people with speech impediments?

I'd hire a gimp with a stutter. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not about to hire a faggot with a lisp because the dicks fucked his mouth all up.

Don't blame them for it. Fags are annoying to work with.

>The person could've actually been an excellent employee. Sad to be qualified but rejected just because your voice sounded "non confident" and posture was "non-dominant". What does this mean for introverted people?
But gays rocking the boat is actually a somewhat good thing. Now everyone can claim sexual discrimination and crash this HR pseudoscience they use during interviews for candidates assessment with no survivors. Just wear colored tie or thumb ring for the interview let them dare to reject you.

Maybe he was hiring him for customer service tech support that deals primarily with offsea muslim customers who are abstinent against dealing with gay people

>Property owners (productive members of society) are naturally disgusted with traditionally non-productive (parasitic) human beings.
Hint: the lager company becomes the more people who make hiring decisions become non-productive (parasitic) human beings.

I don't think anyone pops out sounding like a fag, it's something you need to do consciously.