Trump Education Cut

washingtonpost.com/local/education/trump-seeks-to-slash-education-department-but-make-big-push-for-school-choice/2017/03/15/63b8b6f8-09a1-11e7-b77c-0047d15a24e0_story.html?utm_term=.84d564fadfce

>girlfriend needs financial aid to attend college
>she's bitching to me about my vote due to education budget cuts

So tell me Sup Forums, is Trump's budget cut to reduce bloating/wasting tax dollars, or is it really as bad as my girlfriend says?

Public schools have had their funding increased continually for decades with little improvement. Its time to try a new approach.

>not earning scholarships
Why are brainlets even allowed in college?

It's a mixed bag. We do need to cut spending to pay down the debt, but there are of course some negative side effects I.e. fucking over your girlfriend

The first classes to get cut will be the Marxist indoctrination components.

The education system is completely fucked. We have nothing to lose by tearing it apart and trying something different.

Why is trump funding charter schools??? They are private

No it won't, retard. It will be general funds fucking over all majors.

Fuck your gf.

Also gave free reign to student debt collector corporations to jack up interest rates. Next generation will have their student loans passed onto their grandkids and have to be paid in apolocalypse Rubles. Thanks comrade trump.

Budget has been balanced for only 2 years over the course of my fucking life. Your girl's problems are her problems. America needs to balance its books.

OP here
So the education system is fucked, that we all know. But what plans does Trump have for college students besides just cutting federal aid funding? Is there any actions being made to keep us in college?

>being intrested in woman's opinion
You're doing it wrong

Why? I am just curious why that matters

Be smart enough to get a scholarship or accept your dumb and to into a trade. College isn't a right. Only the brightest should earn the privilege to go to college.

Your girlfriend needs to go work at tacobell, probably where she belongs.

If she needs financial aid to attend college then she shouldn't be going to college.

If you aren't smart, wealthy, or resourceful enough to go to college, you don't go. Simple as that. If you've got the talent, you can get merit scholarships. If you've got the strength, you can work your ass into the ground to pay for it yourself.

The fed funding schools means schools get to charge everyone else more. The more people that have a degree, the more justified employers are in requiring you to have one when you don't need one.

Its just like inflation, the more of it there is, the less its worth. Monetary inflation is solved by cutting the money supply. Educational inflation is solved by cutting the educational supply.

>what are property taxes

Because the relative world peace we have right now hinges on Americas ability to maintain its economy as a safe haven for foreign investment and capital.

If we didn't ever balance our books, eventually we would have to default which would cause a massively unpredictable economic shitstorm.

America might be saved from most of the carnage but us existing in a post american-default world would be much harder.

Unless she's poor or some snowflake race, it doesn't do anything to her.

>College isn't a right. Only the brightest should earn the privilege to go to college.
That's not how it works though, user. We need an educated workforce for the changing job market. This is why Europe has free college if your grades are there

>girlfriend
>girl

Good. It's not the job of federal (((bureaucrats))) to micromanage education. Why do you think the current generation is barely function?

We need more college grads, not less. Everything you're saying is an underlying problem for higher education but not a reason not to subsidize it. America is dying for computer engineers because there just isn't enough of them in US colleges

Cool, Thanks

The teacher training is a bullshit money making scheme for companies like Pearson.

I'm pretty sure it's like 75% Sup Forums

We need more STEM grads, not more grads in general. Speaking as a CS grad, I can tell you that most IT jobs require 3+ years of experience before you can even get an interview. Churning out a few million more that can't get jobs will help no more than printing more money to give to the poor will help inflation.

Besides, more CS departments are shit, and give diplomas to any student who troubles their doorstep. Less funding means the bad ones go the way of the dodo.

How is it that making America great again includes keeping potential talent in the same class as high school drop outs and refugees?

When I voted Trump I expected him to wipe away Pearson scum like mentioned, but now I'm wondering what kind of shit decent college kids are going to face with financial aid cuts. I understand there are literal retards in college, believe me i can't count the with both hands.

but with federal aid budget cuts incoming, I can't help but feel a little cheated.

>girlfriend needs financial aid to attend college
then she shouldn't have attended if she knew she couldn't pay, either she gets a loan for school and gets a degree that actually matters or she can go fill in the jobs the illegals take.

also dump your gf, she sounds like a bitch

There needs to be an option to go to community college instead of highschool. They are usually much cheaper on the taxpayer with higher quality

Algebra 1 is taught in CC

>If you've got the talent, you can get merit scholarships.

You realize "merit" scholarships are a scam, right?

>"Oh, I'm so smart, [pretentious private school] is giving me 50% off my $240,000 education! I got a $120,000 scholarship!"
>doesn't bother looking at $60,000 public school degree due to flattered ego
>doesn't bother learning anything in class because of rampant private school grade inflation
>cries when scholarshipless state school kid outearns them immediately due to small debts

Crashing the government, but we all survive

Three years of experience that you can get while you're at school doing basic IT and coding work. You're being hyperbolic

What do you do for a living? I'm genuinely curious

His plans and every action taken by Trump is toward the simple goal of his own personal benefit and the benefit of his cabal and to destroy American institutions, economy and future stability for the sake of his Russian master. An educated youth threatens this plan.

Remember his most loyal demographic is white men without a college degree. Idiots who believe he will trickle down wealth and give them steel or coal jobs, the well paid jobs of their imagined bright future, that will buy them 2 stories homes and hot wives with 3 car garages, make American like the romanticized Hollywood 1950s they think was real.

Meanwhile Russian steel is being used to build a Canadian pipeline his family partially owns, his Education Secretary's billionaire family is a major shareholder in the largest student loan corporations who will get to raise interest rates and make billions more, his muslim bans are really just attempts to economically isolate and damage Iran and potential for a future war for the benefit of Saudi Arabia, Iran's chief regional rival, Saudi Arabia where Trump and Putin have major money invested, so on and so on and so on.

Trumps plans are simple. Screw everyone over, including the morons who vote for him and spend all day circle jerking and defending him like the trailer trash cultists they are.

You're as crazy as all the faggot republitards here

> needs to attend college
> needs to

She doesn't need to. She is wasting money. Going to college does not increase IQ or improve your job performance. Have a high IQ and get work experience.

tell her to go to a trade school

Colleges/universities are businesses. Once there are less students because there's less student aid, they have 2 choices. They can increase tuition and further decrease their student pool or they can decrease tuition and increase their student pool.

The reason college is so fucking expensive these days is because student loans are guaranteed. This means that universities can charge more since students can "afford" the increased cost.

>We need an educated workforce for the changing job market
Colleges don't train you in practical skills, moron. Colleges exist to enforce credentialism at the expense of meritocracy.

>tfw learning programming to find job that pays enough to save up for engineering degree tuition
>everyone thinks I am a compsci major
>secretly despise CS majors for being STEM equivalent of the english department in the humanities

Meanwhile I know a guy who drove 4 hours for me to flash windows to a bootable usb for him because he literally could not figure it out.

His parents paid for his college, though, so he has a compsci degree now after failing and repeating half his classes while taking 2-3 classes a semester.

he's a corporate schill, or at the very least has appointed droves of them to positions

Does nobody realize federal funding for education is only 10%? States spend the other 90%. You could eliminate the department of education without much change.

Private schools are the only hope for improving the curriculum to something like this.

what major is your girlfriend taking?

As a public school teacher, I'm perfectly fine with this.

Most of the training my school district makes me do is a colossal waste of time. I'd rather have that time to grade papers or plan lessons.

there is, mate. my friend all dropped out of HS at 16, enrolled in CC, graduated with associates by 18, finished undergrad at 20, finished masters by 22

its a god tier plan when you think about it

>Most of the training my school district makes me do is a colossal waste of time.
what training do they make you do?

Marketing

meant Management

save up money and take it later after shes learned everything through online courses and material.

And again, if the fed stopped subsidizing schools, they wouldn't get away with charging that much. Besides, if you're really good, you can get full rides.

I'm not saying its not possible, I'm saying its not common. I did internships and co-ops too, and its the one reason I'm having any luck at all. Its sadly not the common case, and many CS grads walk out without ever having written a line of code that wasn't an assignment.

CS is the meme major right now, which is sad considering all of the neat shit you can get into it once you get past all of the front end JS bullshit. As with anything that is popular, most of it is going to be shit.

Find yourself a good co-op or 2, get a github and make some side project and you'll have recruiters lining up around the block.

It's ok, going to school wasn't gonna be useful anyway.

The last one was literally an hour and a half session on how to use Google apps in the classroom.

who pays for these things?

>Needs to attend college
What is she even going to college for? If it's not science, law (Just be careful because I heard that a certain level of law class is literally just there for you to hemorrhage more money and time out of you), engineering or medical, or hard math and maybe architecture, you probably don't need to bother with college

>But compsci
many resources on the internet, also you could learn quite a bit just by reading a book if you concentrate hard enough. Unless you want to go into really complex stuff, don't bother.

>But art
Use the internet, or try talking with other artists (And I mean REAL artists who actually draw stuff, yes this includes that fuck on deviant art who draws good looking kink shit). Doing that and getting a tablet is definitely much cheaper than attending art class, not to mention you won't be falling into the "Starving modern '''''''artist''''''" meme. This is also probably something Trade schools are actually good with. Most actual colleges and community colleges will just turn you into a generic stereotypical modern artist, at least with trade schools you'll learn how to draw a fucking face and not "How to type stuff in a minimalistic fashion and make it look deep and meaningful"

>but journalism
News corporations are dying, and the best you'll get is clickbait blog author living in small ass apartment with roommate these days.

>psychology
The best you'll ever get is talking to fucked up people, but even then there's so many out there, you could easily just leech off one on the internet

>social science
Don't bother

>More on journalism
Random people on the internet will rant about the article you made and you will have to accept the reality that everyone has more respect for them than you, and have more people who care about them than you, some even make a better living off of ranting about random bullshit independently than you do masturbating over random bullshit for a publication. Seriously, I'm pretty sure more people care about Adam Buckley and Maddox than for literally any Buzzfeed author

Nope, charter schools are public.

True, but we also need skilled labor, general labor, clerical/office staff etc. Many good jobs do not require a college degree, especially a 4 year degree.

>if the fed stopped subsidizing schools, they wouldn't get away with charging that much

The maximum loan you can take out from the fed is $5,500 a year. Lifetime maximum is $57K.

It's private loans that drive up costs. You need a rich parent to wager their house on your gpa grubbing skills to attend even a state school ($25K/year), unless you have someone's free basement to live in.

>if you're really good, you can get full rides

Sure, if you're "really good" at being black or hispanic. Colleges are a business, they don't care about how smart you are. That's why (as detailed in that one article a while back) they'd rather offer four $5,000 scholarships to dumb rich students instead of one $20,000 scholarship to a poor but extremely intelligent student.