READ ULYSSES

READ ULYSSES

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorius
youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tried it. Got 1/3 way in and gave up. Overrated gibberish.

Try Odysseus rather

This but I got to page 800 something.

You weren't drunk enough. Apply yourself.

Yo nice post. I got the 118211110th post in another thread, and i was all like "lemme see who got the get," so I posted a link in the other thread to come check you out. I'm proud of you. Yo, if anyone followed me from the other thread give a shoutout.

i tried for like 2 pages but got bored as heck m8

Read Gregorius
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorius

>Coffined thoughts around me, in mummycases, embalmed in spice of words. Thoth, god of libraries, a birdgod, moonycrowned. And I heard the voice of that Egyptian highpriest. In painted chambers loaded with tilebooks.

>They are still. Once quick in the brains of men. Still: but an itch of death is in them, to tell me in my ear a maudlin tale, urge me to wreak their will.

Irish have nothing to contribute to Western civilisation. The book is what you would expect from an Irish author: incoherent rambling of a drunkard.

Give me the quick gestalt rather than the full enchilada.

The problem with any book is that it can be an extremely interesting concept, relayable in an essay-sized work, but spread over hundreds or thousands of pages.

A Jewish guy walks around Dublin for a day while his wife cheats on him.

Kek has blessed your graciousness with digits

kys

How did you post that link?

t. newfag

Fuck you. Read "At Swim Two Birds" which is substantially less douchetastic.

fag.

STATELY, PLUMP BUCK MULLIGAN CAME FROM THE STAIRHEAD, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed. A yellow dressing gown, ungirdled, was sustained gently-behind him by the mild morning air. He held the bowl aloft and intoned:

-- Introibo ad altare Dei.

Halted, he peered down the dark winding stairs and called up coarsely:

-- Come up, Kinch. Come up, you fearful jesuit!

Joyce is great but Ulysses might not be up your alley especially since it's packed with literary references. Read Dubliners, it's a collection of short stories, easier to read.

Eat a dick, you JudeoProtestant cock sniffer.

Wtf lamo

>tfw to intelligent to read books
>tfw to intelligent not to get all my knowledge from infographs and youtube videos made by corny opportunists

I second this. highly recommended

checked, but nah, you're thinking of finnegan's wake

THE BEAR
AND
THE BULL

click on the post number in the upper right

You're disgusting.

you can also type it in manually. this works to cross-post (between threads) and between boards. between boards, you use 3 arrows, then the board, then the post #, like this:

Tried it, was terrible.

and I'm not even saying it's over-rated, because I have no idea what it means. I don't think anybody but joyce does. and that's why it's over-rated. only pretentious liars pretend it's good, but chances are they haven't read it, and if they have they have no idea what it means

the book is full of made up words and incoherent constructions; joyce was fluent in a ~dozen languages.

breddy rare

This version was better
youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8

read finnegans wake and eat mushrooms. schizophrenia why not?

maybe people who read it are just smareter than u ;p .sorry hon.

If we had a life expectancy of 100,000 years or so, yeah, maybe, but life is short, and there's too much better shit to do in the Information Age.

You have to remember that Ulysses was written in a time when there was no Internet for entertainment -- hell, not even acceptable movie quality. That's what people are reading the book for: entertainment.

If say it's more than entertainment, well, what's the point of spending countless hours on it just to take away some point that can be expressed in a few words?

What the actual fuck?
I audibly Kek'd at this.

Fuck off
Why are you helping him? This is Sup Forums, not reddit. Fuck off back to r/thedonald/

kek, I actually came from the other thread but fuck you regardless

no they're not. and unless they can speak 12 languages and then follow whatever joyce is saying, they don't know what the fuck it's about

just typical pretentious hoes, like you hon

aint never no bitch smarter than me no way

>Why are you helping him? This is Sup Forums, not reddit.

3edgy

fuck you, kid. Sup Forums is not all misanthropic 19 year-olds

it's literally literal literary jewish cuckoldry.
but all trippy an' sheeiitt

Another problem with Joyce is that I suspect a lot of scholars have projected their own meanings onto his gibberish and have then given him credit for the results of their own meaning hunts.

Just wondering: Do any Melbourne chicks want to hang out tonight? I've been on #nofap and really need to bust a nut.

>fuck you, kid. Sup Forums is not all misanthropic 19 year-olds
No, this is a multicultural happy place where everyone is welcome. Kill yourself already, useless sack of shit.

Salty swede angry Arabs please his wife better than him.

what the fuck does it mean

fuck im having flashbacks of my faggot professor screaming this over and over.

tfw too smart to into Ulysses

You sound edgy, m8.

there are more than 2 options

full retard multikulti sweden

or full edge misanthrope

No apostrophe user. Makes it like a command or something rather than a wake for poor old Finn.

you're right

>Reading Gr**k anything
No thank you, Greeks are subhumans.

Ulysses is by an Irishman but inspired by the Greek Homer.

WE WUZ EGYPTIAN GODZ

It really is not worth the time. I'm guessing OP didn't finish it

I don't think there is even a croatian translation (hehe) and it's too exhausting for me to read in english

"I know people who read interminably, book after book, from page to page, and yet I should not call them well-read people. Of course they know an immense amount; but their brain seems incapable of assorting and classifying the material which they have gathered from books. They have not the faculty of distinguishing between what is useful and useless in a book; so that they may retain the former in their minds and if possible skip over the latter while reading it, if that be not possible, then when once read throw it overboard as useless ballast. Reading is not an end in itself, but a means to
an end. Its chief purpose is to help towards filling in the framework which is made up of the talents and capabilities that each individual possesses."

Feed your head with good sentences. It improves your own cognitive abilities, enriches your abstract thinking and allows you to experience the world from a deeper perspective, you become more empathetic and enhance your own existence.

The easily digestible information is just like sugar, it has no value other than its immediate impact.

Try to live well, user.

Seems like someone posted a link on reddit again

Me too, think I got to page 400 or something.

I read a single passage from finnegans wake, and I had multiple dreams about it all night. I found out the book is a dream within a dream, and the next night I had another dream about it, a man said to me "Did you read Finnegans wake yet?" I said no, and he told me I was supposed to read Finnegans wake. I tried but I really couldn't stick it out.
All Joyces work is layered with meaning, though whether thats profound or not is another thing. He likes word play, the book is much about the melody of language than it is about the words. The characters also change names repeatedly, to show that the same archetypes have been re-occurring throughout history endlessly.
Fin - end
egan -again
wake - begin
That's kind of how Joyce works, but I could only finish Dubliners

>browses Sup Forums

How about the odyssey by homer

Look what I found

Also, this book is simply what Irish people to sound like to me normally

master (you) getting skills

>Swedecuck in charge of not letting people in
AHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHH

I am trying to imagine what new features despotism might have in today’s world: I see an innumerable host of men, all alike and equal, endlessly hastening after petty and vulgar pleasures with which they fill their souls. Each of them, withdrawn into himself, is virtually a stranger to the fate of all the others. For him, his children and personal friends comprise the entire human race. As for the remainder of his fellow citizens, he lives alongside them but does not see them. He touches them but does not feel them. He exists only in himself and for himself, and if he still has a family, he no longer has a country.

Over these men stands an immense tutelary power, which assumes sole responsibility for securing their pleasure and watching over their fate. It is absolute, meticulous, regular, provident, and mild. It would resemble paternal authority if only its purpose were the same, namely, to prepare men for manhood. But on the contrary, it seeks only to keep them in childhood irrevocably. It likes citizens to rejoice, provided they think only of rejoicing. It works willingly for their happiness. It provides for their security, foresees and takes care of their needs, facilitates their pleasures, manages their most important affairs, directs their industry, regulates their successions, and divides their inheritances. Why not relieve them entirely of the trouble of thinking and the difficulty of living?

So Joyce was a moth priest writing Elder Scrolls?

Why would I want to read something written in piss by a gin soaked potato eating fuckwit?

Can't argue with them digits desu senpai

No thanks, I'm reading The Diary of Anne Frank now.

this
page 200
sure,a nice turn of phrase here and there, but overall felt like a chore
Y tho?

Tocqueville, right?

Brothers Karamazov is far superior

no

see this is what I'm talking about. Ulysses was not well received in Joyce's lifetime. He wrote finnegans wake as a fuck you to everybody and a book for only himself

nobody can read that shit

>DURR

Pro Jew as fuck. Still it was a wonderful experience and I go back to it from time to time.

Brothers Bogdanov was better.

yes, from his book Democracy in America

2nded

would rather try mein kampf

this

A really good condition first edition (150 copies signed) of that would go for around 200-300k.

good post but ideological snake poil merchants will always be part of the free flow of ideas

>no
Well looks like you are wrong there guy!

Haha, yes, yes! Read lots of Irish literature you filthy Sassen- uh, I mean, swell guys!

Polyphemus accurately describes every fat cow feminazis SJW out there.

Entitled child of the salty sea god

Eats men and sheep

One eye, cant see the whole picture

Fat giant

Based Ulysses completely blinds the fucker and only gets out alive hiding under sheep.

Polyphemus ends up crying and screaming the cave, blind.

Fantastic read

this book...

prototype anti degeneracy in its purest form

Not gonna read Irish intellectuals in foreseeable future.

I'm still startled i've started to read books without translation. Gives me 19th century feels how I could read French novels instead.

Joyce is overrated as fuck, I cant believe I actually wasted so much time on Ulysses

Ulysses was created out of phony intentions. It didn't spring from genuine inspiration or instinctual feeling. It came from Joyce wanting academics to immortalize him as a genius. It was written to win approval.

Joyce:
>If I gave it all up immediately, I'd lose my immortality. I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality.

Joyce = Faggpt
Hemingway = Faggot
Faulkner = Faggot
Fitzgerald = Faggot
Some guy with a funny mustache wrote a great book in the 20's though

wrong

Pick up Infinite Jest or Foucault's Pendulum after you put down Joyce user, humbling to read at times but page masters like David Foster Wallace or an Umberto Eco can't be missed.

Quints do not lie.

I fucking hate this bot

>it's packed with literary references.
This kinda grinds my gears. It's a selfish book. A book that tells you to read plenty of other books if you want to understand half of what it says, and once you do understand you realise it's not as clever as it should be, and so you're disappointed. His sexting is way better.