The caravan pill

who /caravanfag/ here?

How many of you have taken the caravan-pill?

Good goyim, take out a loan and pay interest while saving money for 30 years to buy a cheap home. Good goy.

Literally what are the downsides to buying a mobile camper van? Why do you need a (((home)))? Maybe if you have a wife and kids, otherwise it's completely pointless. You can drive around wherever you want, sleep where you want.

UsedMotorhome.com Lambright here. ask me anything.

>(((caravan pill)))

Ray Mears is the final red pill, lad. All other pills are preliminary.

>How many of you have taken the caravan-pill?

Five years ago.

Paid cash for a 2008 model.

Sick of it desu.

Want a real home.

What for? Do you plan on having a family? It figured out it's going to take me over 10 years to save for a house and i'll still probably have to take out a (((loan))) and pay (((interest))). Housing is just way too fucking expensive these days. i can't justify spending my entire life saving for a (((house))).

I got a Dodge van with a camper top. You can usually find me innawoods.
Mine was converted later in its life, it's an old work van. I have enough space to make a living cutting firewood, it'll fit and haul 2 cords, no problem

Unfortunately, that is largely illegal unless you move monthly here.

Might be doable if you buy a mining claim

I would, but my rent is pretty cheap considering i have a roommate.

Property increases in value over time, a car decreases in value over time.

>(((rent)))

>You can usually find me innawoods.

Do you live alone? Is it ever spooky living alone? You're lucky that you can own guns over there.

That's really interesting. Where do you sell firewood to? What are the laws around it? Like, do you just go into national parks or what?

Just convert a cargo van into a stealth van and enjoy living in the most expensive areas you can find

Cheers,
Van dwelling user

A studio apartment would be nicer and cheaper. I guess if you scored a nice work via Internet job it would be nice because you could travel around. But most people still have to work. And if you live in one of those things, they get worn out and trashy looking fast. you still have to pay for seaweed hook-ups and water for it. So you end up paying rent anyways, even if you buy it with no loan.
Also travel is a meme, once you've seen 3 hidden valleys, you have seen them all, you seen 3 forests, you've seen them all.
The other way is to go the hippy route, live super cheap with no real job with one of those, you are still going to be dirty as fuck though and 10 years later you'll be washed up unempyeble homeless, or druggy

Whatever makes you happy mate, but I want to own land.

What do you do? Just change street every night or what? It's illegal in America as well right?

Well honestly I'm not against buying land. I would buy cheap land and just have a RV instead of a house. Just start a small garden and grow all your own shit.

That actually sounds comfy as fuck.

>What for?

Space.

Room for workshop, ect.

Moving monthly? That's literally no problem. Plus I've seen a Louis Thereoux documentary which included this guy who lived out in a house he'd built into the side of a hill out in North Dakota, despite not owning the land, he's lived there for like 30 years because it's so remote.

I envy you Amerilards with your huge expansive wildernesses and your firearms. Those of you who don't go out there must truly lack imagination.

It's illegal here too. I dream about it quite often. In Scotland one can camp in the wild but fires aren't to be lit without the land owner's permission. Unless I was somewhere extremely remote, perhaps on one of the islands surrounding Scotland, it would be almost pointless.

Homesteading is pretty great. But you've got to be hardcore about it to live off of it. I do a little bit of growing veggies, brewing beer and wine and cider, preserving stuff, and the more I do the less I need to buy. I still have a full time job and shit, but man, you save money and eat really well with just a little work once you're established.

My retirement will be moving into it full time. Rabbits, chicken, and if I have the energy for it, goats. My job right now is saving for land, greenhouses, and power solutions like a shitload of solar and a good bio-fuel setup. (I want to go more north.)

I guess I just want the freedom of independence. Plus the more time goes on, the less faith I have in the system. Even if I had complete faith though, I'd do it anyway. Gardening, preserving, and preparing is addicting. You just need to learn one thing at a time though and not let yourself get overwhelmed. And be comfortable with the idea of failing even when you do everything right, because plants do just die or get stunted or whatever. Always have backup plans.

I have a couple dogs to keep the bears away, but a gun for the mountain lions.
I can sell wood on the roadside in town.
National forest isn't a park, so there's more freedom but less developed sites. Legal to take dead wood for preventing forest fires. God help,you if they catch you cutting a live one, but you're a needle in a haystack.

Depends on whether and how the city criminalizes homelessness. In Palo Alto sleeping in your car is illegal. In NYC, it is legal.

Of course, you also have to get caught in the places that are illegal.

Vandweller AMA? Heh.

Every town I've ever been to considers sleeping in your car as camping, and camping is usually illegal outside designated sites. That said, I've rarely ever seen an RV get caught up that way, only cars and passenger or work vans. If they can tell you're inside sleeping, it's bad. If not, move every so often to avoid curious cops and neighbors.

I worked in an RV repair shop for a while. Let me tell you all some good reasons why not to buy one

They break down- a LOT. Even the new ones that were $100k+ would go on one trip and come back with a list as long as your arm of things that broke, never worked, or is now making a noise that it shouldn't.

They are expensive as fuck to fix. Doesn't matter what it is, will cost at least a grand to fix. Need to replace the tires? $1200. Front brakes are fucked up? $1000. The overhead a/c unit quit? $1000. Water heater quit? $1000 to replace.

There are no repair manuals for these things. The only repair I for you will find is from the auto company that made the stripped chassis that the RV was built on. Anything else you have to just figure it out as you go.
These things are NOT easy to work on at ALL. Most shit is nailed and glued together, very fucking difficult to take anything apart , you will spend days trying to make simple repairs

Trust me, it's a nightmare

lol, caravan

i lived in one for approx 4 months, mostly as an experiment and adventure and not wanting to pay rent to a shitty landlord. it turned out that i saved a lot of money while working (i had an income from working remote). i saw most of the entire beautiful united states for around $2k in fuel/maintenance costs (yes drove from coast to coast, north from south and back)

anyway in the US you can basically live for free on public BLM land. go to washington or the king mountain range in humboldt and you'll see shanty towns in the forests of people just living off the grid. on the entire west coast i didn't pay a dime to stay anywhere. we mostly stayed at walmarts, in the woods, or sometimes we just parked on random streets and never got bothered since our RV was pretty nice. honestly sometimes it got boring but the land is so beautiful and you meet some real weirdos. i did a lot of mountain biking and hiking and shit. everywhere had great fucking internet access too, get an unlimited lte hotspot. it remote-ish areas it worked just as good as cable.

yeah they are all built like shit and rattle apart. source: owned one, sold it before it completely fell apart. a lot of shit is fixable yourself if youre not a complete idiot and carry tons of spare screws, nails, glue, and tape with you. chassis and motors are reliable as any other e-series ford truck or whatever tho

You could save a ton of money and rent one for your vacation instead of buying one.