UC Berkeley to remove 20,000+ lecture videos from public domain

weeklystandard.com/berkeley-goes-offline/article/2007153

>A few years ago, an adjunct professor and disability-rights activist named Stacy Nowak went to take a look at a college course offered online by the University of California, Berkeley.
>The course was called "Journalism for Social Change." Nowak is deaf.
>She has no connection to UC Berkeley; she teaches art at Gallaudet University. But she was displeased with the quality of the closed captioning the university provided on the course's video.
>Nowak, who declined to be interviewed for this article, got hold of the National Association of the Deaf, which she's a member of. In doing so she set in motion a train of events that will come to a head on March 15.
>The organization filed a complaint with DoJ on behalf of Nowak and a Gallaudet colleague as "aggrieved individuals."
>Among the videos, the intrepid DoJ investigators discovered some without captions, thus discriminating against members of the general public who are deaf. Some "contain[ed] text [that] had poor color contrast," thus discriminating against Americans with visual impairments. Others contained graphs and charts in which "information was sometimes conveyed using one color alone," thus discriminating against the color-blind.
>Last week Vice Chancellor Cathy Koshland announced that beginning March 15, Berkeley's vast library of online courses would no longer be publicly available.

If I can't have it, no one else can. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

lbry.io/news/20000-illegal-college-lectures-rescued
thenextweb.com/insider/2017/03/17/berkeley-university-deleted-lectures/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Day of the unlit anechoic stairwell when?

Ok, what treasonous shit are they trying to burry in those videos?

like berkeley wasnt hard as shit to bend over backwards for these minorities.

Read the post. If blind people can't see the videos blind people will try to make it so no one can.

No that is the official narrative; What is the real reason...

This is insane.

KEK

Wow I hate Berkeley but couldn't they just pay a settlement instead? They really ought to.

They accidentally taped over old tapes with Hillary fucking kids and Obama being ass fucked by Michele while Biden is pissing on Merkel who is shitting on the pope. Obviously.

They should bankrupt themselves.
Y'know, for progress and shit.

Normally I'd be outraged but it's Berkeley so fuck them.

Having classes for social change is like having classes on ripping off rich people at your mansion.

>Pay a settlement
A settlement for what? Just say "Oh, I guess that slipped under our radar. We'll fix it."
If that's not good enough then it's time to start hanging people.

You want a quality education goy? You gotta pay for it first. I mean how does it benefit us to provide this material for free? Imagine if the people watching these videos had nefarious purposes for learning such things, especially the computer science portions.

Couldn't they just copy the tapes and do some editing to produce more cripple-friendly versions that could be kept along with the originals in case anybody has trouble following along with them?

No? Fuck it then, burn the digital books.

Some download link for all of them?

The funny thing is that americans pays dozens of thousands of dollars for this
Who's the cucked

...Good?....Bad?....

rare good-quality leafpost

Why would they pay a settlement for providing free content?

You sound like a commie.

Let me off the ride please. I can't take this.

I've said it before, deaf people are assholes. My cousin is deaf and she's a total cunt.

It'd be a shame if somebody saved all those lectures and posted them as a torrent

I don't know who's jewing who in this instance.

It's clearly petty for Berkeley to remove all that content, but at the same time it was likely filled with SJW indoctrination and it's probably better it's gone.

"""Progressive"""

DAMN SHAME

This. Their far reaching privilege has gone on for far too long, they must be dissolved in order to make amends for all that educational privilege that they've oppressed so many with for decades.

#UCBprivilege

They won't understand it until you sign it to them.

I'm really starting to reach my threshold for this nonsense.

I think it's pretty cool for a college to put tons of lectures online for free. They get no benefit, just aid in the sharing of knowledge.

In spite of that, they are called "discriminatory" because they didn't spend tons of resources factoring in every possible handicap in existance.

Why is this worldview of being "aggrieved" catered to? It's like if you went to give food to homeless shelters, and get sued because you don't bring halal or kosher options.

Net result, generous actions are stopped because it's just not worth the headache.

[email protected]

What universe have I crashed in now, fucking quality leafposting?

why not just shut down the whole university? they're clearly nazi alt right trumpbrapppps

it would be a shame if she got some blowback from all of this. hope she is safe

Cripple genocide, when?

I swear, SJWs are doing their best to make people absolutely hate the people they claim to be protecting or speaking for. Why can't they understand that?

just look through harvards online stuff. you can say you went to harvard.

I have a feeling any criticisms directed towards her would probably fall on deaf ears.

The cost to change all the videos will be huge, not to mention all the time and human resources they will need.
The college probably doesn't gain anything from letting the videos be public so making them private is the only sensible option.

Plebbit.goy/datahoarder should have most of it, it not all.

Poor doggo

The case was probably brought against them by someone who was thinking they were going to cash in on a I spilled hot coffee on my lap tier plaintiff. Look into their history and they've probably tried to make money by pretending to be a victim.

>If I can't have it, no one else can. Thoughts?

Well that's not what this is about is it. It's not grandstanding, it's just an economic reality.

If you're mandated to provide captions and it's going to cost a fortune you pull the programming instead. It's a sensible business decision.

If you want to be upset about something, be upset that there's no provisions or exceptions in this law that allows large data collections to be exempt.

Captioning takes a lot of time, trained typists will require something like twice the amount of time as the time being covered.

20 000 lecture videos, let's say it's just 30 minutes instead of 1 hour or beyond, that's 10 000 hours of work, 416 full days of work.

If they had 15 bucks (minwage in California?) it's 300 000 dollars assuming they need double the time to caption. But since it's usually not that efficient and they might need to be paid more than that, something like 600 000 - 1 million is more in the ballpark. Best guesstimate.

The equality liberals want.

>disability-rights activist

Well, at least they're being honest that being born non-white may as well be a disability.

I love it when liberal do-goodery fucks over worthwhile projects.

Why? It's not like this actually will wake anyone up? There are probably liberals out in Cali right now who think this is a good thing.

Nth post best post

kek

For those interested it seems a lot of it is in archive.org if you search UC Berkley

NO WIKE FWEE COWWIGE COWSE

>Globalists finally realising that giving access to their sources makes peps critically reflect about them
SHUT IT DOWN.
bit to late I guess

There are bound to be normal people who will be pissed off by this.

Why ?

Actually they had a ton of free computer science lectures up online. It's a real shame.

>"information was sometimes conveyed using one color alone," thus discriminating against the color-blind
What? If it was conveyed using only one colour, then it doesn't matter whatsoever whether you are colourblind, or which colour is used, right?

It is so irritating when schools remove online courseware, though, especially since it is never for a good reason.
I'm still upset over MIT and Lewin, since they deleted arguably the best physics lectures on the internet, and only because Lewin was, at worst, a perverted old man.

If the lectures themselves are of low quality, then fine, delete them. If they are good lectures, instead of removing them all, just update the closed captions for one video at a time, so that the knowledge is always accessible (what the main goal of a university should be, anyways).

>Stacy Nowak
most /r9k/ name ever

>1964
>All the protesters are wearing business suits, the women in modest dresses
>2017
>All the protesters are wearing fucking masks, hoodies, gang clothing, or are dressed like complete sluts

Defund that commie shithole already. Geez.

Stop taking off Ben Garrision's name.

Kill yourself

You did good, user. You get Not Last.

So let the polarisation continue. The extreme progressive left are not interested in compromise. They will not let you hold onto your culture or values in exchange for you accepting yet another protected class. They are bigots and rabid dogs. The sooner they get violent the better.

fuck berkeley

At this point, the Lawrence Hall of Science, Boalt Hall, and all other STEM departments should secede from UC Berkeley and form their own separate college and let the rest of the school wallow into obscurity.

The handicapable are out of control!

Lol. This bitch fucked every community college student that looks at their lectures to learn various stem lower division classes when their professor sucks dick.

Hopefully MIT doesn't follow suit.

Catered too?
because (((they))) can use it to censor whatever goes against them by paying litards to call it offensive. sjw offend culture is just a tool by the elites to take something from the people.

look at the protests for 15$ an hour
I honestly believe these people were paid to go protest knowing acting like a fool would just piss everyone off so when big corps like McDonalds start automating everything and firing their staff,, the people working won't get one once of sympathy. no sympathy = no backlash.

offended culture is control
now that they are automating and no one cares...where did all the protesters go.. shouldn't they be protesting more?

think for yourself, faggot

We should just kill the dumb cunt and move on.

>i don't go to this school but i have a problem with their online content
>better gripe to people who have nothing to do with the school as well
>who will in turn gripe to the school about how it's a rights violation
>and the school, rather than updating the material, is just going to "Ctrl+A, Del" the whole mess and call it a day

man i wish i could make nachos with as many layers as there are layers of retardation here

So people who scream muh feels will stop complaining because they have enough shit to deal with on campus?

Have you seen the disability standards for the web? They're completely unachievable. There's not enough money or time that could make UC Berkeley compliant.

The subversive move would be to sue based on income/academic discrimination. We have to break this case with identity politics.

Liberalism in a nutshell. Shut it down.

There's no law protecting the right of poor people getting free shit.

lbry.io/news/20000-illegal-college-lectures-rescued

fucking cripples get all the breaks

Poor people getting free shit are some of the most ungrateful bastards there are.

Deaf woman gets free !FREE! online course.

Sues.

Disabled people know they can go around acting like twats cause people are reluctant to say anything towards them. The BBC once made a documentary of some guy with an elephant-man face who was seeking justice after a mean message was left under one of his YouTube videos. He was campaigning for 'ableist' comments to be banned online and a change in society's attitudes which make people see those with deformed faces as unattractive.

Thank youl.

(((Nowak, Koshland ))) Mission: destroy the social fabric of America, disintegrate the society, move to China en mass like fucking lemmings clutching shekels

Hey, I completely agree with everything you said. I think that the school made the correct decision. All i'm upset about is this law in its current state, which is able to threaten such a great trove of free, top class information. What happens next? I also made the thread because of the irony of the situation lol

>It's clearly petty for Berkeley to remove all that content
you are clearly retarded. They did it for legal reasons.

Please tell me that the people who complained about free lectures are going to die a miserable death. Fucking entitled pieces of shit. Society coddles disabled people way too hard and in cases like these others suffer from it.

Already available

thenextweb.com/insider/2017/03/17/berkeley-university-deleted-lectures/

this is worse than the coffee one, since that lady ended up getting 3rd degree burns and just wanted her medical bills to be paid for. Which McDonald's fought against originally.

>Day of the unlit anechoic stairwell when?
You mother fucker,,, made my morning with that one

you should be upset that beurocrats go after free stuff that is FREE as in provided to people for FREE and are forced to take it down and given i fine because the FREEEEEE stuff wasnt "inclusive" enough.

>If you're mandated to provide captions
The problem is with being mandated to, not with pulling them. Pulling them is just the consequence that makes the thing relevant.

Perfect.

>March 15th

Does anybody here know how to read?

>While Berkeley open-sourced the lectures to “maximize the accessibility of free, online content” to the public, two employees of another university brought a lawsuit under the Americans with Disabilities Act to demand all resources be either transcribed or taken down altogether.

All we need to know.

Yea, why?

>"information was sometimes conveyed using one color alone," thus discriminating against the color-blind.
>one color
>color blind
Do they even know what color blindness is?