Spacewalker loses ISS shield

When we send woman engineers to space, stuff gets lost. Is this all just coincidence or are we trying too hard to be diverse? Are we not sending our best?

"It was a disappointing turn of events in a record-setting spacewalk for Whitson, the world's oldest and most experienced spacewoman."

"In 2008, an astronaut lost her entire tool kit during a spacewalk."

latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-astronaut-floats-away-20170330-story.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1vXdRUIZ_EM
youtu.be/heESAW2addo
van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=187
m.youtube.com/watch?v=S0pjW2ltKwI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Well, its still better than sending niggers to space

If you let people do the job they are bound to screw up every once in a while. Difference with projects like this is that the screwups are far more dangerous and costly.

Every single piece of lost debris must be tracked 24/7. Even something as small as a bottlecap.

Yeah like in the movies, keep dreaming.

They do track most of it.

Whatever objects are big enough to get radar returns from, they keep track of it.

It actually happens and for good reason.
Getting hit by a fucking penny at 8000 m/s is not pretty.

Wouldn't a penny burn up into nothing on re-entry?

not if its in orbit with you

la times... do you have an actual news source or are you just linking more fake news

What exactly is there to burn up against while in orbit?
It's not that it's dangerous to the earth, it's dangerous for the astronauts who have that penny flying above their heads every 2 hours.
When you have several million penny like objects floating around in your orbit, your knees start to shake a little during space walks.

meant for

Stop embarrassing us all listening to gypsy boy, of corse it would burn up,.

We've created an alternate currency in modern society based on SJWism. Any failures are absorbed by taxpayers. Notice all the companies going this route despite economics? Its because social capital makes up fot it, and it can. Unfortunately I think the only way this can change is ending fiat currency, but thats unlikely to happen given the chaos it would cause, our best bet is cultural libertarianism.

And that's exactly why all the gypsies come to steal from the UK.
When dumb people think of themselves as smart, it's really easy to redirect their gaze while you take their wallet.

At least the other poster had the decency to ask honestly and rise above the mud.

And here you are, desperately trying to pull him back. Are you jealous or just afraid to be left alone down there?

But surely it will eventually be dragged into Earth's atmosphere and burned up, right? It's not like every little object there would end up in a perpetual orbit, it will fall eventually.

>are we trying too hard to be diverse?

VERY YES

SPACE TOOLS = OVER

Of all the times a fucking woman misplaced her purse. Why do we never learn? Women are good for making babies, not space stations.
False, the male nigger is far superior (mentally and physically) to any female on the planet.

Well fuck, man, it depends on the trajectory and speed.

If it's fast enough, high enough and ,even worse, the eccentricity of the orbit doesn't take it too close to the earth, then it'll just kinda drift there until the space dust slows it down, though that could be now or after a million years.

God, I'm glad I play KSP.

Who the fuck else is going to pick the space cotton?

Shouldn't these tools have loopholes on them for a spool of elastic cord on a belt to attach to them and prevent them from being dropped and floating off into the void? They can put a space station up but they can't figure out some simple shit like this.

Astrolads need pussy too, my dude.

A literal chip of paint nearly penetrated a cockpit window of the space shuttle.

They probably have that, but when they tried telling her, she started complaining about how they do nothing but criticize her and told them to give her some space.

After that she stopped responding and when Houston asked if anything's wrong, she said it was nothing.

3 day's later she was doing missions with the Russian federation. Houston asked her what the fuck she was doing, but she just said that she wanted to move on and that maybe they could still be friends.

Isn't this the video? Didn't click the article so disregard this if it's there.

youtube.com/watch?v=1vXdRUIZ_EM

Women have no business in space or the military... or police.. They have no business in most workplaces period, we all know this.

Fake. There's supposed to be zero gravity in "space" yet you are saying some tiny pebble fell down long enough to reach the speed capable of damaging reinforced glass like that? lmao.

No air and no gravity means no resistance to slow it down of it goes fast enough.

Gravity comes from mass. The earth has a large mass, so objects gravitate towards it. The ISS travels in Earth's orbit at around 7660 meters per second. Other objects rotating Earth at the same speed will inflict a lot of damage, even when they're small.

>Fake. There's supposed to be zero gravity in "space" yet you are saying some tiny pebble fell down long enough to reach the speed capable of damaging reinforced glass like that? lmao.

it was in a different orbit, you literal noob.

Go play Kerbal space program until you realize how much of an idiot you are.

The fucker won't even make it off the launch pad.

A single gram of iron, launched at a high enough speed could hit you with the impact of the Tzar bomb, and that's not even close to its limit.

>The fucker won't even make it off the launch pad.

Shhhhh.... I was trying to trick him into learning....

>losing shit it orbit
That shit should be auto-fired.

youtu.be/heESAW2addo

space weed
ftfy

This is exactly what is wrong with pol these days...

>2008

fuck off

>implying humans have ever been to space
>implying the earth isnt flat and that "space" isnt a hoax

fucking muslims.

They will belive anything...

Which is why the jews love them so much.

Easy to deceive.

Why should the earth being flat and the concept of space contradict each other?

Also, have any flat earthers ever tried building high atmosphere balloons or small rockets with cameras on them?

Grow up faggot, anime is for kids ffs. Loser.

You tell me the radars can track thousands of bolts and screws flying at 8000m/s at a distance of 200km but fail to detect the so called "stealth planes"? Funny.

Yes it would eventually fall back to earth
KSP is not a simulator, it is a video game. There is no orbital decay in KSP.

Orbits are possible when the speed of an object perpendicular to the surface greatly exceeds the force of gravity, but that force of gravity still exists, meaning the object, absent of any self propulsion, will always be falling back towards earth in some manner. Even in a high eccentric orbit the object will always have an ever decreasing apoapsis/periapsis.

Imagine a gun shooting a bullet at a perfect 90 degree angle and dropping a bullet from your hand at the exact moment the first bullet leaves the barrel, which one hits the ground first? They both hit at the same time because the force of gravity is the exact same on both of them.

Heaven
-----------
Earth
-----------
Hell

Idiot.

But the bullet that was shot has some speed, doesn't that mean, by what you said in the first paragraph, that it's going to stay in the air longer?

>but fail to detect the so called "stealth planes"? Funny.

>he doesn't know

2,000 year old jewish propaganda/psyop.

Being perfectly perpendicular to the force of gravity, the speed of the bullet has absolutely no impact on its descent towards the ground.

So, no.

Crazy

And then why not go to heaven?
I mean I've been at a rocket launch, fuckers ain't faking it.

Also answer the one about the balloon.

>KSP is not a simulator, it is a video game. There is no orbital decay in KSP.

I know, but it teaches you a hell of a lot about how shit works.

Also, I might be stupid but I always thought that centripetal force would be strong enough to counteract that.

>why not go to heaven?

Because you can't just go to heaven fucknuts

He was incorrect. Bullets have aerodynamic properties that keep them in the air longer than if they were dropped.

The shit these dumb women dropped may *eventually* fall to earth but probably not for many years since there's almost nothing to slow them down

Then where did that rocket i saw go to?
What about the fact that I can see the fucking ISS as a little white dot in the sky on clear days?

The centrifugal force in this case is caused by gravity. If there was no gravity everything would just fly in a straight line from point A to point B (similar to how a lot of science fiction shows/movies portray space). Therefore gravity must influence the object.

Clearly the thought experiment was meant to demonstrate the fundamental effects of gravity and not the complex effects of aerodynamics and fluid dynamics. Furthermore, bullets are designed not to create significant aerodynamic forces because if they did they would curve in a pattern relative to the rifling of their barrel instead of traveling in a straight line.

Well we did send you guys up first, thanks for making sure it was safe for humans before we went up, america will always owe a debt to you little huemonkeys.

>A speck of dust is a bubble

Well, US tech can follow it, frenchies are what, 30 years behind us?

wait a minute, what if humanity really did go to space but it doesn't so much anymore and NASA is just pretending to go there in order to get funding without doing anything worthwhile?
Sounds like an easy get rich quick scheme.

Somehow the thousands of sattelites never get hit.

Straightening the trajectory is the entire point of the rifling you can stop talking about bullets now.

Who would have though speck of dust in a vacum would behave just like air in water

Makes sense.

there we go apc destroyed

actual expert here. If you actually lose something from the ISS you are either decelerating or accelerating it (may be a very small margin). What you're doing by that is sending it into an instable orbit. Speed is around that of the ISS, so it's not like completely in another place. Differential could be something about something up to 1 m/s, which moves the part away 3,6km away from the ISS every hour. Orbit length is huge. It may happen that a part actually passes the ISS, but it will do so at a different height.

About general space debris, you can detect them with special radar sensors. Actually, a lot of bigger debris is registered with all it's key components of velocity, so the journeys can be planned way ahead. As said, even if there's a warning about debris crossing the path, the chances are pretty low to actuall hit a piece.

The moment I heard this story I knew a woman was involved. Turns out I was right.

That one is interesting. Source to original news video? Lets say they do fake those. Why?

>Lets say they do fake those. Why?
To get more funding without doing anything exhausting.

They do sometimes, also they're on a higher orbit than most of the junk.
ISS is really low orbit.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. I know you have a funny accent but our written language is the same.

The rifling helps make sure the aerodynamic forces acted on the bullet in its travel is minimized. If there was a tiny tunnel that penetrated the bullet, one hole being close to the tip and the exit hole being close to the rear, that would create a pressure differential in flight which would result in a wonky flight path that heavily favors the rotation of the rifling. The barrels are rifled to help distribute any non uniform imperfections in weight or surface of the bullet evenly throughout its flight path to get an average path that is more desirable.

Before this conversation goes any further I want you to know I have a degree in aerodynamics so this may get a little hard for you to comprehend.

>I'm a drooling retard: the post
the hazard is to other things in orbit, or even people in orbit, not people on Earth

Underrated

>Before this conversation goes any further I want you to know I have a degree in aerodynamics so this may get a little hard for you to comprehend.

I don't think you have a degree in anything since you were dumb enough to make that ridiculous bullet fired vs bullet dropped post

What the? it seems like she did that on purpose.
What gives?

That example was something I was taught to get my degree.

van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=187

Again, clearly this bars specific aerodynamic resistance, which doesn't apply in outer space anyhow, which is why this example was brought up to help understand how orbits and orbital decay works.

The fact that I have to hold your hand and spell all of this out for you proves you don't understand, so why don't you just crawl back under your rock and continue sucking your thumb while the adults have a conversation.

>I parrot things that I know are incorrect because I'm so smart herp derp

Whatever

He's a brit - so chances are, he's already a mud person.

they actually do
so your astronaut doesn't get a headshot during walks or your space gear doesn't get kinetic missled

>incorrect
Confirmed legally retarded

Doubt it.

For what purpose?
It's just stupid women being stupid.

im sorry but i went full retard aswell... thankyou for explaining this

Underrated

Space debris is a huge issue, as well as small meteoroids.
We need to build machines that can withstand huge physical impacts.

Thumbs down
For fuck sakes Canada Another P.C. Tim Hortons commercial embracing immigrants. This place is Cucked to the max.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=S0pjW2ltKwI

The higher the standards are, the less likely we will send a woman. Still possible, but unlikely. In order to be "diverse," standards must be lowered and some form of quota system must be added.

You posted:
>Imagine a gun shooting a bullet at a perfect 90 degree angle and dropping a bullet from your hand at the exact moment the first bullet leaves the barrel, which one hits the ground first? They both hit at the same time because the force of gravity is the exact same on both of them.

This is a factually incorrect and inappropriate statement in an orbital mechanics discussion. You're a retard.

No it's not incorrect, it's 100% correct.

You can't even tell me how or why the bullet would even stay in the air longer than a bullet dropped, can you?

I can. Give it your best shot.

While I'm not a flat earther, I am convinced that there is a possibility the US has manipulated the narrative about the space program.
Why? To keep social order and calm.
BUT I don't see how they can fake rocket launches.

Also the reason why I don't believe in the flat earth theory is that I have seen saturn's rings with my own eye.
Get a telescope. Track the motion of planets too.

You've already admitted you were wrong you can't backpedal now. Besides, even if the fired bullet didn't have properties that give it longer air time it would still hit the ground later due to curvature of the earth.

If you have a degree it must be in gender studies kek

Honestly trying to understand here: are these implying that there is no actual ISS or just that these videos are faked as propaganda? IF they are propaganda on such a large scale cover up then how do these big things slip by them?

Most of Canada's multicultural issues would be solved if we just nuked toronto flat. Same with vancouver.

If the flat earth theory was correct (it's not) the sun would travel in an elliptical pattern throughout the day while being larger overhead to shrinking in perceptual size as it passes away and becomes night time. In the real world it travels in a straight line throughout the day and stays the same size on a day to day basis.

I didn't admit I was wrong, I said my example didn't include externalities. You quoted me saying the force of gravity is the exact same on both bullets, and that's 100% accurate.

I could go further to make the argument that the sun hitting one or the other increases its effectual size and would impact the exact time it hits the ground versus its colder, smaller counterpart. But I didn't say that. I said the force of gravity is the same, and they would hit the ground at the same time because of it. When you introduced an externality I agreed with you, but reminded you that it was not part of my initial example.

But again, you can't even tell me how or why aerodynamics would change the rate of descent, so you clearly are the one just parroting things. Top kek.

>When you introduced an externality

You introduced the external forces and opened yourself to ridicule when you were stupid enough to talk about bullets fired from guns hitting the ground while trying to educate people about orbital mechanics chum.