I don't understand?

I don't understand?

Why do we have to use the nuclear option again?

There is absolutely no way that the democrats will be able to filibuster more than a week. There will be immense pressure from U.S. citizens. They won't stand for a prolonged filibuster of one of the most qualified judges for the SCOTUS in history.

If democrats don't fold early the republicans will get the biggest supermajority in history in 2018.

Someone explain why the GOP doesn't just let the democrats try to filibuster.

If they broke the record over this shit show the democratic party is absolutely doomed.

Democrats are going to filibuster requiring a total of 60 votes to pass to reach the up or down majority vote, they are under extreme pressure by the extremist members of their party(the same ones who helped them lose the election) to oppose Gorsuch for a feel good moment

Mitch McConnel, the Senate majority leader, has dared them to try. Gorsuch is as moderate as a Republican nominee can get as he rules on almost exactly what is in the Constitution and what is in written law. If Gorsuch is not palatable to Democrats, then literally no one would be except Merreck Garland(not happening). So Republicans are going to follow Harry Reid's precedent and use the nuclear option to stop obstructionism. The Democrats are taking a gigantic risk with this move, as Ruth Bader (((Ginsburg))) is 84, Kennedy is 80, and Breyer is turning 79. If a single one of them dies or retires after the nuclear option is used, it would shift the Supreme Court to the conservative edge for decades.

Because the two speech rule will let the dems drag this shit out until Gorsuch won't be sitting on the court for real next term.

The fucking GOP better pull their fucking heads out of their fucking asses and start playing hardball or just fucking commit suicide already.

There is no way the filibuster is going to last more than a week. Anymore than that and the democratic party is dead.

There will be so much pressure during that time to confirm Gorsuch. There is no reason to cave. Let them filibuster as long as they want. The longer the better.

If they break the filibuster record over this they will go down as an absolute joke.

They already ruled on all their decisions.

Him getting confirmed now would allow them to change decisions or ties, but it's not big deal. There is no big case that the SCOTUS has already ruled on.

The filibuster wont last a single day, if the Democrats succesfully block the initial vote then McConnell will instantly move to have the filibuster removed from Supreme Court nomination procedure, McConnel has already vowed thst Gorsuch will be nominated by next Friday.

Correct.

Democrats have everything to lose by doing this.

Pedo Schumer has decided that getting the base to cheer them on for "resisting" (even though Gorsuch will get on the court anyway) is a good enough win. Stupid jew.

Dems will lose the filibuster, one of their justices will croak, and then Trump can confirm any conservative with a pulse.

If they filibuster I am going to beep happy

Supreme Court nomination is what made me vote Trump over nobody.

If Republicans fail to get Gorsuch in, I turn my back.

That's an absolutely shit move.

Why would he do that?

It will put the onus on the Republicans for changing the rules instead of putting it on the democrats for the first filibuster of a SCOTUS nominee. One that is the most qualified.

There were no important decisions made during this term that needs Gorsuch.

If he lets the democrats filibuster he can literally destroy the democratic party. They will be a national embarrassment.

Because he can and because 2nd Amendment at stake.

Faggot.

The 2nd amendment isn't at stake.

All the decisions that have already been made aren't important. The april date is for Gorsuch to rule on already made decisions before their final submission. He has more than enough time to get on in the next one.

Do you not understand the lasting importance of a young conservative Supreme Court Justice? Sounds like you can't see more than a few months down the road.

Wrong, Peruta v. San Diego is on the table and would change gun rights across the country, forcing every state including NJ, NY, and CA to become "shall issue" for conceal carry licenses. Trump's executive orders are also stuck in legal limbo right now because of the 4-4 tie on the Supreme Court. The Republicans currently have everything to gain by putting Gorsuch on the bench.

The Republicans ran on the vacant Supreme Court seat being a campaign issue and won big time in 2016. They have every right to run over Democrat obstructionism because that was the choice of the voters. The Democrats are going to lose this fight in the here and now and will possibly lose an even bigger fight if one of the aging leftist justices on the Supreme Court dies or retires. You are vastly overestimating that voters would hold the filibuster over Democrats heads, as Republicans were not "punished" for essentially the same action last year.

I've already seen national conceal carry legislation in crafting or being passed right now.

I am not saying to not confirm Gorsuch. I am saying let the democrats filibuster for a week or two to cause maximum political damage.

I am pretty sure the court hasn't ruled on it yet as I couldn't find the voting record. Gorsuch has plenty of time to get in on the next term.

Senator Cornyn's bill would not allow residents of those states to carry, Hudson's bill is more extreme in that it allows a CA resident to obtain an AZ CCW to carry in California, neither of which are guaruneed to pass. Even if they do pass it still wont answer the question that the Peruta case is asking: Does the right of the people to keep and bear arms extend outside of the home?

Both Cornyn's and Hudson's bills are only valid if a state has a law allowing conceal carry. CA or NY could simply ban conceal carry and cockblock every gun owner from carrying in their state. Peruta would answer that fundamental question and prevent states from infringing on the right to keep and bear arms outside the home.

The case is currently waiting to be taken up by the court

Why isn't McConnel having the vote right now then so the dems can filibuster for a week then confirm him?

bump for justice

There also waiting to take up a lot of cases. No guarantee it gets in before the date.

Ginsberg will drop dead by June, I'm calling it now.

dem senators facing elections in 2018 want to vote for Gorsuch--against schumer's hyperpartisanship

Because the Democrats used another procedure to delay the vote one week. The Republicans are being cordial and accepted the motion for delay.

I dont understand why you are so hung up on this "Filibuster for one week" nonsense, the Senate has other business they have scheduled and filibusters interfere with that business. Filibusters usually only last the same day as the vote thats scheduled for whatever motion is on the table. Because once the Senate runs out of time for one motion they have to move on to other business. This being a Supreme Court nominee it will obviously take precedent, creating a logjam for whatever else they have planned.

What is there to be made of Ted Cruz insinuating there will be another opening on the court by summer? It could only possibly mean either Thomas or Kennedy as the other more partisan justices wouldn't ever think about retiring now.

The republicans are total cucks.

Because the record is a day long filibuster. A week long would embarrass the democratic party for forever. The party would actually have to die and they would have to rebrand themselves.

He's going rogue!

I can't even see that. Any of them retiring would have to know they'd never hear the end of it from the far left screaming about how they've allowed Literally Hitler another SCOTUS pick.

You dont know what you're talking about. The Republicans delayed a vote on Judge Garland for almost a full year and they did not suffer any punishments by the voters. There is no reason for them to give the Democrats yet another opportunity to grandstand on national television about how effectively they've blocked Trump's agenda. The Republicans have no reason to blink in this game of political chicken. They win now by getting Gorsuch on the bench and possibly win in the long term with the death or retirement of another justice.

Delaying a vote is not the same thing as filibustering. They would have to hold the floor for a week reading children's book as people watch on live TV.

Also, a judge has never been appointed during that time which is why it was basically 50-50 split whether they agreed or not. This is totally not the same situation.

If they focus on 2018 they will get a more conservative judge then.

We have the votes, even democrats have defected from the mentally ill (((Schumer))) kabal. The democrats are going to keep dragging their feet with hearings and then posture with a filibuster but they know they're going to lose this fight.

tldr; the democrats are trying to decide how they want to lose.

If you guys think Gorsuch's hearings are ridiculous considering how not a single democrat voted against the man when he was appointed a federal judge, keep in mind what Rush Limbaugh pointed out: this is just the originalist Scalia being replaced by another originalist, things are going to get really ugly when it's time to actually nominate someone to tip the scales in our favor, and it's going to get down right demonic when Kike Bader Ginsburg or one of the other leftist trash has a stroke or heart attack.

Ultimately, the problem is that the republican party is mostly neocon trash who don't know how to win, let alone take advantage of a win. They want democrats in charge and setting the agenda while they sit around and just help.

Trump is going to appoint Merrick Garland when Ginsburg dies. Screencap this.

42-D checkmate.

Cruz will eventually be appointed a SCOTUS justice to smooth things out with the conservative block.

Cap it.