Why didn't we come to France's aid ASAP in ww2?

Why didn't we come to France's aid ASAP in ww2?

Our largely German immigrant base liked Hitler, and it was only after Pearl Harbor did anti-German propaganda start being made.

From what I remember one of the main Franklin D. Roosevelt's campaign promises was to keep the US out of Europe wars.

French didn't fight back...

Much easier to wait until the real fighting's over.

because you had a fuckton of Germans who where against it and antiwar/isolationist sentiment was pretty diffused

>massive depression
>dustbowl
>lack of public support
>official isolationist policy
>no military to speak of

There were a lot of reasons.

Why didn't Canada or Mexico or Australia join in? Why are we always looked at like we're the privileged all white country that can just hand out free shit and free aid just because?

You're a fucking idiot. The United States had a long history of not wanting to get involved in other countries problems and wars going back to George Washington saying we should avoid entangling alliances.

Because you would have missed the chance to bring up some mad bantz like 78 years later

Also nigga you what? The US hated Germany from the seizure of the USS City of Flint.

Wrong and wrong on both points. Everything George knew about politics, which is very little, was wrong, and none of his ideals including barring war and abolishment of political parties is relevant. The United States has a long history of manifest destiney, and the only way we expanded from ocean to ocean was to kick out the British and French and Spanish that were occupying those territories.

From the start of our country up until the 1990s, Germans were our largest source of immigrants, and many of them retained their national pride for their Fatherland.

Because that wasn't the Jews plan.

That's the exact opposite of true. The Germans that came here generally either brought their entire families or lost contact with their families. German-Americans were some of the most fervent supporters of the war. Fuck, most of the generals in charge of the European campaign were German-American.

We did...

Canada and Australia did join, they fought with Britain. Even on D-Day by the time the Americans had joined, there were more Brits and Canadians on the Normandy beaches than there were US troops.

Expanding our own territory isn't fighting a war to defend some other country. Again, you are fucking retarded.

>The largest flow of German immigration to America occurred between 1820 and World War I, during which time nearly six million Germans immigrated to the United States. From 1840 to 1880, they were the largest group of immigrants.

Is there a point in there or are you just saying shit we already know?

President Franklin D. Roosevelt sought out Americans of German ancestry for top war jobs, including General Dwight D. Eisenhower, Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, and General Carl Andrew Spaatz. He appointed Republican Wendell Willkie as a personal representative. German Americans who had fluent German language skills were an important asset to wartime intelligence, and they served as translators and as spies for the United States. The war evoked strong pro-American patriotic sentiments among German Americans, few of whom by then had contacts with distant relatives in the old country.

There were lots of German-Americans, many of which did not like Nazis.

How did America aquire the southwest territories? War with Mexico. How did US acquire Washington state and Oregon? Threatened war with the British and they sold it to us. How did the US acquire Florida? Purchase over settling a boundary dispute in texas. How did US acquire Texas? War with Mexico, and annexation as an independent state.

>Is there a point in there or are you just saying shit we already know?
The point where you're a fucking moron and just got proven wrong in the post it was a reply to.

Nigger are you retarded?

I never disputed that Germans were the largest source of immigrants, what I disputed was
>many of them retained their national pride for their Fatherland

Which was factually false. It isn't my fault that you are a fucking mongoloid that can't seem to understand that by the time the war rolled around extremely few German-Americans even had ties to Germany much less the Nazi regime.

While millions came to the US before WWI, only ~114,000 came to the US in the interwar period, and only ~25,000 were even members of the German-American Bund.

That landing is the most taught part of WW2 in Canadian schools. Just as Vimmy Ridge is the most taught part of WW1. People like to celebrate their victories I guess.

Though getting handed the best defended beach to assault, and not only winning, but winning so fast and pushing so hard that we had to be told to slow the fuck down and wait for everyone else to catch up is something worth celebrating.

Not sure the whole "We won vimmy because we got the bright idea to just never stop the artillery even as we were charging to make them not suspect a charge" was a great plan though.
Seems like the kind of thing a villian in a movie would come up with.

>Nigger are you retarded?
You were the one who just argued German wasn't the largest immigrant base, were proven wrong, and then questioned why I had replied to you in the first place.

>I never disputed that Germans were the largest source of immigrants, what I disputed was
>>many of them retained their national pride for their Fatherland

LEARN
TO
FUCKING
READ

me:
>From the start of our country up until the 1990s, Germans were our largest source of immigrants
(You):
>That's the exact opposite of true.

Obvious troll is obvious.

direct quote

We always got taught a lot of casualties were caused, particularly on the American Beaches because there wasn't enough shelling beforehand.

Yeah well Britain's military history is long enough i guess you have to pick and choose, too depressing otherwise.

Yeah it seems a lot of Americans have the impression they won most of the war by themselves, but I guess everyone loves to see their own country as the conquering saviours.

>>many of them retained their national pride for their Fatherland
>That's the exact opposite of true.

Correct quote.

The US industry won the war for the Allies. A huge, sprawling industrial base with huge amounts of untapped manpower far away from any enemies capable of bombing it with almost as many resources as you could possibly need was too much for the Axis to overcome. Not to mention the huge technological advantage the US presented.

American Lend-Lease fed, clothed, and armed most of the Allied war machine.

>If I had Canadian Soldiers, American technology and British officers I would rule the world.
~Winston Churchill

He wasn't wrong

Can't even argue, nothing wrong said there.

American tech wasn't really any better for most of the war, but you have such a huge population and resource bank that it improved at enormous speed.
Early in the war Britain's nuclear program was much more advanced, but we basically had to share it cos you'd have outpaced us and gotten to the bomb before us anyway.

We definitely improved the Sherman with the Firefly though, what a tank.

>Our largely German immigrant base liked Hitler, and it was onl

you got to be kidding me you mong

US was largely anti-german since Hitler took power you fucking idiot. But it was also isolationist and hoped that the European affair would sort itself out.

The problem was the Sherman was a fantastic tank, with never-before-seen gyroscopic stabilizers allowing Shermans almost 100% hit chance on their second shot and almost an 80% hit chance on their first shot at max range.

The issue was American gun technology lagged behind British technology, so when the British decided to slap their 17lber gun on the Sherman and use their new APDS ammunition, they created, arguably, the best general-purpose tank of the war.

It wasn't until the Americans came out with HVAP ammo for their 76mm guns in '44 that they reach more or less, parity.

One of the parts I find most interesting about WW2 armored warfare were Hobart's funnies. I can still barely believe it, they literally let a general go fuck it, and make a whole armored division of experimental tech mounted on tanks. He was an engineer so they let him have free reign and his division just fielded all sorts like flame thrower and amphibious tanks.

I know it was wartime but still, how do you get away with that.

That dude was a genius.

His Crocodile and AVRE Churchill patterns saved thousands of lives by clearing hardened German positions that would've required direct infantry assaults otherwise.

Absolutely, a based man.

Pretty amazing the stuff they managed to bash together in such a small amount of time.

Tough break for the crew though. The crocodile tanks were so effective and had such a psychological effect the Germans wouldn't capture the operators they hated them so much. They'd execute the crew against the side of the tank if they could capture one.

Canada and Australia joined in.
USA were seen after WW1 as the arbitrary state of european diplomacy, something that they refused to endorse because it was against the isolationnist principles of the country.

In 1919 France led by Clemenceau wanted the creation of a Rhineland state (basically breaking Germany in two exclusive states) at Versailles because he was convinced 40 millions french couldn't contain 70 millions germans a second time in 20 years after so much casualties during the conflict that just ended (and he was right).

The british and the americans refused for different reasons:
- the british were just pushing their average diplomacy of germano-french containment that they followed since forever, fearing that France would rise as the dominant continental power if Germany was neutralized
- the american line was more ideological and utopic, Wilson believed that Germany shouldn't be broken in two because it was against the self determination principle (irony is that Roosevelt would make the exact opposite move 25 years later and in a much more violent and unjust manner).

France still wanted to keep Germany down, noone had forgotten the humiliation of 1871 and the "reparation" concept that Bismarck introduced which settled and astronomic price for France back then too so it was decided to impose the same on Germany to contain it.
The british signed it but not the americans ultimately.

The real feeling of being let down in France by the british was when Hitler violated the Locarno treaty and rearmed the Ruhr, we did our mistakes after the war (even if we had reasons to be extremely mistrustful toward the germans) but the UK really let us down on this episode perpetrating the meme that english are unstrustful allies to this day.

>Americans fuck everything up by not splitting up Germany
>Americans fuck up by splitting up Germany

Well guess what? You fucked up by collaborating with the Germans.

I haven't heard about this, what happened from a French perspective?

I always assumed the French were appreciative for the British role in WW2 i didn't realize we'd dicked you over.

It was literally Belgium's fault anyway. If Belgium kept their promise and finished their fucking side of the Maginot Line there would've been no issues.

Which of those involve going to another continent to defend another country? How long has your family been in this country, two weeks? You don't have a clear understanding of American history.