Say what you want about the man. It's a Great quote

"Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you." -Christopher Hitchens

(My favorite quote, because of its application in resisting the direction America is headed)

Other urls found in this thread:

radishmag.wordpress.com/2014/09/22/reign-of-reason/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Inb4 atheist kike
Inb4 ad hominem attacks on hitchens

I'm just appreciating the quote and it's application

Why don't atheist just kill themselves if they believe life is inherently meaningless and there is no afterlife?

"Why"?

It's not about belief.
Thr quote itself is truth.

Because they don't really believe or at least afraid they're wrong about afterlife

It's not a truth, it's an order. Why should I follow it?

Why don't christfags just kill themselves because eternal paradise is waiting for them in the afterlife?

Because suicide is a sin you retard

It's a sin.

Pretty sure he basically did.

Anyone who was raised Christian (and then experimented with edgy atheism) knows that becoming an atheism will bring you a sort of "fake enlightenment" followed by depression, loneliness, impotence, frustration, and general malcontent.

At this stage, you will realize that though the existence of god may be unprovable (and even ridiculous to believe) it is the healthiest choice. This may be because humans are inherently social creatures and are thus driven towards congregation, or it may be because the majority of Americans are Christian and thus as an atheist you feel isolated. Regardless of the reason, I have slowly realized that faith is healthy.

Why don't you kill yourself to be with your daddy?

But suicide-like ascetism and martyrdoom worship is not? ;)

here's the rest of the quote

>"and above all, be a shitty half-assed Hitchens, and do it online where nobody can link your malformed and abortive thoughts with your physical self."

Shunning transcendance is annihilating yourself

Genuine sacrifice remove the self from suicide

> beware the irrational
> poison your blood with cigarettes and alcohol

WEW LAD

Kek

but honestly my edgy hitchens days are long gone.

But you have to admit that there's some truth behind this In some ways I think Hitchens led me here

No he's referring to transcendental ideology (like Thoreau) which sort of isolates you and stops you from competing in a sense

I like banter as much as anyone but this quote is bullshit. What does it even mean?

> "Be a childless, argumentative, selfish prick then die and disappear without a trace because reasons" -- Christopher Hitchens or maybe Henry Rollins

do you guys genuinely believe in an afterlife? I believe in God (sorta) and i dont even belive that

lel

I think its best understood in the context of resistance to those who wish to silence you and control you (The liberal elites etc)

>Distrust compassion

He's highlighting a common trick played by the left - (using compassion as a veil for their agenda)

>picture all experts as if they were mammals

This can be applied in the resistance to (((scientists))) and (((professors))) - like Bill Nye

>Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake

He's saying "don't be ovine, have a voice"

I agree with you, but what you said in the first paragraph can also be applied to women and lack of women.

A certain amount of guys don't care about religion or atheism but they are satisfied or not satisfied with life based on how well they do with women.

Those guys and guys that think like you are two completely different modes of thought.

this

>those guys and guys that think like you are two completely different modes of thought

True. Wouldn't you say that there are a ton of guys who think like me though?

It makes me wonder because my "Atheist stage" disappeared right around the time I met my girlfriend who I'm still dating. Is atheism a part of the "Chad vs Beta" meme?

>Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence.
This is literally Sup Forums (and Sup Forums as a whole)'s creedo, even if they don't know it. We exist and we are effective purely because we argue for argument's sake, forever honing our fangs and claws in an arena of our own shitposting design.

>Wouldn't you say that there are a ton of guys who think like me though?

Yes. We now live in a time where it's more apparent that many people encamp themselves into different schools of thought. It's now more obvious than ever. Your way of thinking produces less stress and negativity.

I do not think kindly of the western world and how women have it so easy, but the guys that ignore everything else and only focus on women are hurting themselves in ways women never could.

Atheism is and always was the truth. There are a lot of fetid manchildren who cling to it as scripture because, torn from one existential identity, they flee to another, clinging to it as to a sinking ship in the sea of their own formless personality. This doesn't mean atheism stops being true because of them, though. It just means don't be such a huge piece of shit about it.

I deeply admire Hitchens and his works, but one thing I'm finding myself examining with more scrutiny lately is the idea of religion making people act better and the plausibility of an atheistic society. I do believe, as he stated, that morality has long predated religion, and that someday we might indeed see a highly functioning, stable society based on moral precepts that aren't dependant on any underlying doctrine, but I'm starting to think it's not something we're going to see anytime soon. The pessimist in me has been growing over the past decade and I'm reaching the conclusion, arrogant as it might be, that the majority of humanity is still too stupid, barbaric, or corrupt to be trusted with looking after themselves without the yoke of religion to keep them in tow.

As someone who respects and desires free thought, it feels abhorrent, downright conspiratorial even, to suggest that we may need to keep Christianity around a while longer merely as a tool to fight leftist moral degeneracy and the savagery of Islam. Yet I find myself forced more and more to this conclusion when I see the horrors "progressive liberalism" has wrought on the minds of the youth. Perhaps it's beyond us all to consider, maybe every age contemplates these problems and thinks theirs is surely the last, maybe the next generation will cause the pendulum will swing back once again to correct itself, as we've survived this long, but I still can't help but think that we live in a time right now that everything we know and believe in as civilization is teetering on a precipice above total disaster.

I'm a fan of his and probably always will be. I don't understand Sup Forums's dislike other than his atheism. If he was a catholic and said half of what he did, he'd be the Sup Forumsking.

>Why don't atheist just kill themselves if they believe life is inherently meaningless and there is no afterlife?
What kind of a fool thinks life is meaningless? It's your job to find meaning. It doesn't come from a book for some people. And most of all, because the journey takes place here you utter moron. Maybe you're just hanging around waiting to sit on god's lap, but I'll take all the time I can on earth. pic for your comment.

I meant the bottom half for you, chap.

> mfw Edgy atheist are just figuring out that religion is socially useful
Whether you believe or not is irrelevant, religion is the foundation or glue that holds civilized society together.

Well put. I had to screenshot this.

This is essentially my feelings in words. The only other things I think need to be considered:

Will human beings, as social creatures, be able to live without a replacement for religion? Religion satisfies our basic need for acceptance into a "group". Even Atheists, by rejecting religion, subconsciously want to be embraced by other atheists and included in a new "group" (This is evident when you observe how loud & forthright Atheists are with their knowledge)

I believe that isolation and loneliness play on insecurities. Humans are plagued by insecurity. The only remedy to this is interacting in a congregation (religious or otherwise)

SO THE ONLY REASON YOU WOULDNT KILL YOURSELF IS DUE TO A JEW WHO CALLED HIMSELF KING OF THE UNIVERSE YOU ARE ALL FUCKING RETARDED.

Absolutely. Look at most countries with non-religious populations above 50%. There are exceptions but most of them are in the shitter.

self deception is the greatest evil

— plato, heinlein, rand

wow that saved a lot of bullshit —shamwow guy

>Distrust compassion

beware altruism, it is based on self deception, the greatest of all evils - heinlein

the worst of all deceptions is self-deception - plato

if any civilization is to survive, it is the morality of altruism that men have to reject. - rand

yeah yeah yeah fuck the commie filth

buy more ammo

commies have weak skulls

KEK gives us so many blessings each and every day

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ LITERALLY THIS

>Atheism is and always was the truth

Just fucking explain whats wrong about praising the whatever that created everything, whats wrong about trying to understand the metaphysical rules that rule the universe so as to allign one's behaviour with them and suffering less?

Whats wrong about the logical leap from polytheism to monotheism?

Whats wrong with self-sacrifice for those you love?

If you can't find anything wrong with that then you are a Christian pal

atheism is not the same as nihilism you retarded faggot

Hitchens HATED the Clintons and would have voted Trump

>praising the whatever that created everything
>trying to understand the metaphysical rules that rule the universe

choose one maradonna

i don't know what kind of loony atheist conspiracy you are on, but you can chose both and humanity have chosen both for like ever, is only recently that you guys have gotten butthurt because you don't want to have a real job

Life is only meaningless if you are incapable of giving it meaning.
What absurd expectations of shaping a world are touted when the simplest of all i.e. ones own goals is seen as some divine dictate or an all permeating law of nature can only be proof that life itself tis no god given right but a crazy good joke written by a truly benevolent god who invented humor so that his subjects need not cry themselves into an early grave by dehydration.

What could be more meaningless than an after life? Theres no stakes, no struggle, no mystery no time limit, nothing but being concious forever, sounds horrible.

radishmag.wordpress.com/2014/09/22/reign-of-reason/

what does this have to do with a job?
its just about faith..
And if you believe in a creator, then you would waste your time tryin to understand what really drives the universe. You already got the asnwer then.

atheist nigger-loving kike faggot

There can't be an ad hominems - that quote isn't an argument. I got about half way through your post before stopping because it's gibberish.

An example of Hitchensl stupidity:
Hitchen's razor merely creates an implicit false equivocation between "can" and "should," and "dismissed" and "dismissed as false," thus creating an implicit argument from ignorance. If the statement were explicit about its implications, it would be "What is asserted without evidence should be dismissed as false" - an argument from ignorance.

You like him because you're retarded.

Because they know God exists; they just won't admit it.

>its easier to believe unsubstanciated theories than an obviously bullshit origin story
You know that to this day evolution is a theory not because it isnt possible but because the evidence doesnt back it up right?
Atheism myself I find it quite the cheek someone would twist the facts to fit their narrative despite claiming objective reflection.

Is not about the faith, this wave of atheism has shit to do with post-ww atheism, its just an edgy surface rhetoric distributed by mass media and deeply connected with a rejection to Western sources of authority like drill sargents, school teachers, popes, and American presidents who were once against gay marriage, abortion, and mosques.

>if you believe in a creator
I said "the whatever created the universe", every thinking theist understands that "beings" need a space to "be", if you have a space where you "are", then that space is more powerful than you for it sets the rules that make you be, therefore you aren't the last causal chain. God has to be a supranatural thing or it isn't God.

>then you would waste your time tryin to understand what really drives the universe. You already got the asnwer then.

1 - The reality that there is a God is logically blatant all around us, to deny it is based on feelings or politics and not on observation.
2 - Just because you know there is one it doesn't mean you know what rules it set in motion that rule the inner workings of the universe, both things aren't connected at all.
3 - Because you know there is one, you know there is a causal chain and you know there's something to know, therefore you look for it. If you thought it was all random then there would be no reason to try to understand anything as it would be irrational to believe there's anything to know.