Why do some properties in nice rural areas in america cost so little?

why do some properties in nice rural areas in america cost so little?
is there any reason not to move to america and buy a few acres for 30k or so and live off the grid in a cabin with satellite internet?

9/11

Why not just get it over with and kill yourself?

Because satellite internet is absolute shit.

This. Move to an area like Pocatello Idaho that's cheap and considered rural but still has great Internet

Its an expectations vs reality kind of thing
My uncle went full retard and moved with the kids to Oregon overnight
They had the hippie ideology of living free on the land
long story short their kids turned into full on millennial degenerates
Have a vacation house/cabin in a nice area

>why do some properties in nice rural areas in america cost so little?

there's usually a reason ...

How are you gonna pay your property tax? And health care now that your required to have it? Well you need some money so then you need a job. Well now you need to get to that job so you need gas and a car and have to pay tax on your car and for whatever you make at the job. You want to not live in society than go to a "country" that doesn't have a society. You can just come to America and take advantage of a largely peaceful society without paying your dues. You can work hard and get rich and then fall off the grid and live off what you have accumulated. That's about the only way to do that in America though.

She's a fixer-upper, mate. No worries renovating that.

Usually a small town or city is tied to one big thing. A steel plant or a shipyard. When that is shipped off to China the town begins its death spiral. Everything becomes cheaper. But with no way to bring money in, it's just a waiting game.

It's because the states with more rural areas in the US usually have much freer markets then the faggot leftest states. The assholes from the leftest states are unfortunately moving to the rural states in large numbers though, and spreading their retarded Marxist/Keynesian economic policies. They will make it expensive as hell to live everywhere in the country if they get their way in the future. The poor people who have it relatively comfortable right in these rural areas are going to be completely screwed in the future if the faggot leftest take over.

And by living relatively comfortably, I mean pre-Obama and Bush comfortably. I know things went to hell after those two and Bill Clinton all destroyed the economy with their retarded left wing economics.

getting a $1m+ settlement soon, i figured america would be one of the cheaper and easier places to live off the grid cheaply while i invest most of my money.

One word: convenience. Living rurally is a lot more work than you think, especially if you live in areas with heavy snow or rain. Also, "living off the grid" is harder than you think, as states and municipalities regulate this - a lot of areas require being connected to the electrical grid, and in some areas, getting a septic tank installed means dealing with environmentalists. Some places will only allow hunting cabin type buildings, but not permanent dwellings. In most places, collecting rain water is illegal, so you'd better be able to dig a well. No well? No permit. Oh, and in most places it's illegal to camp on your own land for over 2 weeks, without special and hard to get permits, even if you're building a house. And the size house you're building matters in a lot of places.

It's not the Wild West anymore.

Plus, people like having grocery stores, police, fire, hospitals, and regular mail service.

A lot of the cheap land you could buy that's rural is either useless, or only good for occasional cattle grazing. It's a nice dream, but state and Federal laws and regulations have made off grid living virtually impossible.

Having friends and family that don't live in the middle of nowhere.

Lack of water is a common reason in the west.

The only way to truly go off grid is buying an RV and living in it. You'll have to have a PO box somewhere for mail, and visit it occasionaly. There are a lot of people doing this - there's communities you can join, who share the best places to stay, the best mobile parks and camp grounds with septic water and electricity for rent, for occasional overnights.

Or, buy a boat. Only come to shore for supplies.

You can get sat. TV anywhere. You don't need land or a house.

This. However, there small-medium sized towns in so-called flyover country and also out west (though obviously not in California) where you can buy a very nice house for comparatively little. It's not off the grid, but it is far away from the major cities of the east and west coasts. Places like Arkansas, Arizona, Utah, parts of Texas, etc. are what I'm talking about. A $300,000 dollar home in rural Arkansas is a small mansion, whereas $300,000 in the D.C. area gets you a hovel.

I work for a guy that buys and rents out houses, this one was $12,000 with 6 acres.
It needed a roof, flooring, paint and windows.

True. Bisby AZ gets a lot of attention because the comic Doug Stanhope moved there, because he bought two houses for around 20k each, which made life a lot easier money-wise. You can still get houses there for 30k, but the real estate leeches have found it, and prices went way up.

I was looking around places like upstate ny, where I grew up, you can find really nice places in the woods, or out of town that are very cheap. 300K in New England, away from the cities, can get you a LOT - working farms, apartment buildings, estates. I wouldn't buy in NY because of property taxes, though. Cleveland is dirt cheap, but...it's Cleveland.

The land is worth more than the house. The house is a tear-down. Figure 50-75k to replace without getting into granite countertop bullshit. Or just stick a mobile home on it.

Where is it, what's the climate like, and the area, crime wise?

Yes there is a huge reason. Fuck off and stay in the cities, city faggot.

Upper Peninsula Michigan, I find land for as cheap as $500 per acre. I'm always buying small lots, some people don't advertise on the internet, old guys will just nail a 4 sale sign to a tree sometimes.
The house is nowhere near a tear down.
Ontonagon County is very safe.

sounds good to me, especially these days

Rural areas have been unfairly maligned because of nearly every person with a college-degree income has been brainwashed into thinking they are populated with deplorable Jesus freaks.

Its also illegal in America to collect rain water

why ? government doesn't owm the clouds, do they.

People downstream of you have a right to the water.

underrated

because everyone gets sick and dies, and you want to be near a hospital when that time comes. a good hospital, which are only in the cities.

also if you have kids, you want them to go to the best schools