What do you think about the electric car meme?

Is it real? Will it really happen?

Other urls found in this thread:

thelocal.es/20170315/barcelona-team-announces
indianexpress.com/article/technology/science/from-the-lab-superconducting-at-higher-temperatures-a-material-passes-laboratory-test-4596903/
google.com/patents/US20110210008
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Not im my lifetime

No one wants to spend any money on the infrastructure to keep them powered

The German government is investing hundreds of millions in charging infrastructure this year and the car manufacturers are topping that off with private money too. Cities are getting charging parking space everywhere etc.

yes, germans are satanic working robots, nobody can compete with them.

Yes, it will happen. I am somewhat of an "insider" in the industry, or closest to what you could be to one. Electric cars will be the majority in ~15 years.

Fuck how stupid are you? Tesla has like over fifty stations in the us and canada. And what cost are you even fucking talking about? They won't be charming stations. It will be battery exchanges.

So does it switch to gas when not being tested?

very old idea
problem is the energy denisty limitation.
fuel has about 80 times the energy density

I'm gonna say no because I think everyone is kinda banking on battery technology getting progressively better to maintain parity between electrics and ICE cars but there's no indication that's going to happen. Electric cars definitely have their niche especially when it comes to cities but I don't see them totally supplanting internal combustion anytime soon.

It's a total meme, but brother, this timeline.

thelocal.es/20170315/barcelona-team-announces

Practical room-temp superconductors look feasible now. Solenoid strength and efficiency is going to be insane soon, so, hello electric motor everything and robots

this
if it's a pain, people won't use it

>buying an electric volkswagen

a headlight burns on their normal cars and the electronics go bananas

The only problem is your existence

this

vw electronics suck a mean cock

>Volkswagen will go into electric cars
Of course they will go electric. They fucked up with diesel so bad that electric is the only way left for them.

I can't find anything indicating this is a HTSC. The highest temperature copper-oxide super conducting material still need to be chilled to at least -140C which is viable for power distribution but not usable for anything mobile because of the need for the cryogenic system. Based on what I'm reading they just found a more efficient and effective production method.

I forgot a V in front of the HTSC. Copper oxide is a high temperature superconductor but not a very high temperature superconductor.

>think about majoring in automotive engineering
>Dad tells me to wait a year
>Tesla fucking explodes into the market

Boy am I glad I didn't fall for the ICE Jew.

while shutting down your power plants and and building oh so reliable green energy. I wonder where this leads...

This is a better article.
indianexpress.com/article/technology/science/from-the-lab-superconducting-at-higher-temperatures-a-material-passes-laboratory-test-4596903/
The point is, superconductor tech exists now, defying predictions from 20 years ago. It's only going to improve.

Overblown. BIG problems with car range and energy storage, maximum speed, charge time, refueling infra-structure. It would actually be good for my job, if it took off, but unlikely. Maybe a gradual increase over the next decades, but expect this to be established technology in 2050, not much earlier. Nuclear fusion could also contribute to it. And wide spread use of bigger and better "batteries".

We need money to be spent efficiently in infrastructure, but first and foremost we need to focus on further materials science research and development. We're making great discovery into unconventional functioning materials that will make incredible strives in energy and production possible.

I fell for it myself: Hyundai Ioniq

But it's not viable without government subsidies.
I got almost 10k in subsidies and don't have to pay road taxes. - this makes it only slightly cheaper than driving a petrol car.

I like the way it drives though: 'dem toques.

Superconductors have been in use for way more than 20 years. MRIs use a superconducting coil to generate the magnetic field and superconducting "batteries" are used to mediate power surges and dips at power generation plants in place of flywheels or other storage systems. The upper temperature limit does keep getting pushed up despite some pessimistic predictions but we're still a very long way from room temperature superconductors.

>VW
>reliable
Just imagine how many battery fires there are going to be.

>BIG problems with car range and energy storage

For most people, me included, it's enough for the daily commute.

For the occasional long distance I can always use a car sharing car.
And for holidays I usually fly and hire a local car anyways.

this man gets it

also I really want to see how happy people are when they want to go on a longer road trip and have to stop every 2-3h for 40 mintues.

It like a ploy to limit the mobility of people to certain regions.

i think we should go back to horses

not an argument

I'm still looking into how to convert a internal-combustion engines carburetor to split H20 into a hydrogen fuel with oxygen as the waste output

Yeah, it's just a fact.

>They fucked up with diesel so bad

Do VW diesels even pollute more than the competition?

All car makers cheat
From what I understand they were just the first to get caught cheating, and also they sell a lot in the US where (being foreign) they get slapped much harder than in the EU.

Yes, nuclear and renewable energy plus electric cars means massive Co2 reductions.

Where do you think the electricity comes from?

Also, the batteries tend to be toxic for the environment.

At this point, a used normal car is far better for than environment than a new electric based upon the environmental impact of producing cars.

They are essentially just a meme for the trendies to make themselves seem progressive.

Maybe in the future they will be less of a meme.

Superpower by 2025! Poo in showeroo!

>convert a internal-combustion engines carburetor to split H20 into a hydrogen
Hey would you look at that...:

google.com/patents/US20110210008

They won't be a leader because once China explodes with its real estate market, then Europe is lost

VOO IN DOUBLE YOO

>Do VW diesels even pollute more than the competition?

no, they where just slammed to destroy them in the US market, they gained quite the momentum before the "scandal".

Pretty much everyone cheated on this tests, because this tests are fucking retarded and don't picture real situations in anyway.

>building oh so reliable green energy.
Yes, got a problem with our reliable green energy? We are building concrete hollow balls for the sea to store energy.

They didn't even fuck up with diesel. California did. They made pollution regulations so stringent it was literally impossible to pass them WITHOUT cheating. So now the diesel passenger cars, which got 50mpg are dead and everyone has to drive 30mpg cars instead.

CA liberals are so fucking stupid that they passed smog laws that actually caused less fuel efficient cars to be the norm.

these are the same niggers that were pushing for solar roads

I swear to god, we just need to go house by house and ask anyone if they think solar roads are a good idea

anyone who answers yes should be shot immediately in the head

If they can make it so that it doesn't cost a million fucking dollars be my guest.

>Where do you think the electricity comes from?
In Germany? Depends where you are located. In the North it is more than half from wind power. In the deep south a mix of hydro power, solar, biomass, gas, coal and nuclear.

Yes it will happen... our grandchildren will be driving electric cars (unless you're a literal oldfag)

how much do you import from France?

>no link
>really?
Does VW even have a decent electric in their lineup?

Like as far as I know only Chevy, Ford, and the Japos have anything that remotely resemble a practical electric daily drive.

>No one wants to spend any money on the infrastructure to keep them powered

Ideally you charge them at home.
This is cheaper than using public charging station.

It would be even cheaper if you could directly use solar panels.
But assuming the car is mostly parked at the office during sunlight hours that's much harder to arrange.

Of course it will, until it's revealed that they lied about their emissions and it really runs on gas.

2025 we wont have electricity

> (You)
>how much do you import from France?
Currently? Net? Nothing. We are Europe's biggest net exporter of electricity by far.

energy density isn't a problem. I understand you're worried about your father's oil investments, but for most people the benefit of having a cheap quiet clean and fast car to drive to work everyday ouweighs the disadvantage of having to recharge multiple times on long trips

The US has heavy electric car subsidies in some states.

I've heard of people snagging a Chevy Bolt for like 35 grand... which sounds like a lot, but when you factor in the cost of 5 years of electricity vs. 5 years of fuel, and the fact that electric engines require almost no maintenance vs. oil/air filter changes on an ICE
It's not baaaad.

Same 5 year ownership cost as like a retardedly decked out Ford Fiesta.

And I think it does 0-60mph in 6.7 seconds, which is breddy fucking zippy.

what about nuclear exclusively?

>Does VW even have a decent electric in their lineup?
VW is trying to completely switch to electric cars in the next 10 years.

Right now VW only has plug in hybrids, such as the VW up!, the e-Golf, the Golf GTE and the Passat GTE. Then of course the hybrid variants of the other 11 Volkswagen brands including Audi and Porsche.

>what about nuclear exclusively?
What do you mean? Electricity is electrons. You cannot distinguish between nuclear generated electrons and otherwise generated electrons.

So they've basically done very little R and D compared to every other manufacturer on the market, but are projecting that in the next 10 years they'll just magically overtake everybody?

I used to have a Jetta. The spark plug wires were $200. Fucking fuck Volkswagen. Dipshit retard faggots

Keked

>Year is 2025.
>Be Volkswagen
>Make fully electric car.
>still fail California emissions somehow.

>Does VW even have a decent electric in their lineup?

e-Golf
It's just like a regular Golf, which is a plus.

>Like as far as I know only Chevy, Ford, and the Japos have anything that remotely resemble a practical electric daily drive.

As does BMW, Citroen, Opel and I just bought this Hyundai.
I think Toyota is also releasing a full electric this year.

good for city dwellers who never actually use their car
shit for everyone else
also ridiculously overpriced right now

It would be because of smug.

All those "renewable" sources must have real power plants (coal or nuclear) on standby producing power when the wind is not blowing and the sun is not shining.

Just moving the problem a few hundred kilometers away does not fix it. Those plants may not be in Germany, but in France, Poland or other countries and the power they generate is imported.

Electric cars are less complex than hybrids and ICEs. The true competitive advantage is in building the car (without the drivetrain) and buying the battery packs from a good supplier.

Volkswagen knows how to build a lot of cars and lure customers to its many brands... and make sure there is a global network of licensed repair shops.

stupid question, I guess
I'm just curious as to how much power Germany produces through nuclear vs France

Also you have to be able to safely integrate a heavy-ass, giant, highly explosive battery pack into the design of the car.

Like on the chevy bolt the battery pack basically IS the lower-middle section of the chassis.

>>Make fully electric car.
>>still fail California emissions somehow.
Probably because of American protectionism. Americans hate fair international competition. Which will be their end. Free trade is important.

You missed the joke. I was making fun of the VW diesel emission scandal.

>shit for everyone else
Why? If you have an e-car that has a 600km range and it takes 30min to charge from a 20% charge to an 80% charge, why would it be "bad for everyone else"? Is there no elecricity outside of a city?

In the rest of the world, this already happens. Every city in my country has like a hundred specialized parking spots with chargers for electric cars. There are huge amounts of money available, huge government subsidies, and it's generally seen as the future.

But if your country is still relying on coal, that might be a different story.

Maybe it will be a thing for city cars. Something along the line of Smarts, but the infrastructure still needs to be heavily expanded. VW can be the leader by 2025, but I don't think it will mean that much at that time.

>All those "renewable" sources must have real power plants (coal or nuclear) on standby producing power when the wind is not blowing and the sun is not shining.

Not really. What are hollow concrete balls put into the ocean?

You cant take the battery out moron. They are the size of the entire floor of the car

Underrated

>the batteries tend to be toxic for the environment.

Lithium batteries aren't that bad.
And AFAIK nobody uses lead batteries anymore since they are extremely heavy.

But more importantly the batteries will get recycled.
You don't just throw away valuable materials.

>It's just like a regular Golf, which is a plus.
This so much. Too many car makers try to make their electric models look like some space technology. It's hideous.

>Pic related. The ugliest BMW ever made.

Okay Hans, I'm sure those will make excellent power. In 20 years when someone actually makes a big enough plant at sea to make a noticeable amount of power.

But until then, Polish and French nuclear and coal feed your green way of life.

Electric cars are not a meme, they are the future.

(((Smart cars))) will deny us from a glorious future of clean transportation system without the dangers of riding a cia suicide machine

>No one wants to spend any money on the infrastructure to keep them powered
That's exactly why many countries in Europe are using taxpayer money to fund this shit.

>google.com/patents/US20110210008
> all this waffle.

firstly, you filthy degenerate moronic canadian, that is NOT a "modified carburetor".

carbs dont do that.
they use engine vacuum to move intake air over venturis to vaporize liquid fuel for distribution to the engine cylinders.

they do NOT break the co-valent bonds of H2O and separate out the H from the O2 for use as a motor fuel.

secondly, 3/4 of the shit pajeet claims in this absurd patent dont even exist except in science fiction

> porous cathodes and anodes that separate H and O2 from water
NOPE
> a mechanism to break the covalent bonds of water reclaiming hydrogen to run an internal combustion engine that produces more energy than it consumes in the process
NOPE
> a mechanism to compress and store H safely without consuming massive amounts of energy or producing massive amounts of heat
NOPE
> an internal combustion engine that can run efficiently just on hydrogen and air
NOPE
> a method of storing compressed hydrogen that will pass crash tests for motor vehicles
NOPE

the only hydrogen cars that are even partly feasible are the very few experimental models that run on traditionally produced and compressed hydrogen

every Browns Gas scheme on the market is a fucking scam.

fucking canadians.

I have an electric Fiat and I love it. I only live 10 miles away from where I work. My I have my second car for road trips. Since buying the car last year I've saved $450 on gas.

It will still be quite a while until (if ever) room temp superconductors become a thing

>the infrastructure still needs to be heavily expanded.

Yeah, wall sockets are really hard to find......

It's never going to happen, unless someone invests a trillion dollars into electric car infrastructure.

I own a home in Boston. I have a driveway but no garage. How the fuck am I supposed to charge two cars (assuming my wife has one also). Most people in Boston don't even live in a single family home with a driveway. NYC is even worse. I just don't see how mass adoption could ever be feasible in a major city.

This is just another scheme pushed by upper class leftist suburbanites who are completely detached from reality.

Also, when the "cheap" Model 3 Tesla launches it will cost around $40k. Meanwhile a Honda Civic costs half as much and gets 40mpg, and gas is 2 bucks per gallon.

Meme technology

Because those countries in Europe actually care about what happens when natural resources run out.

And besides, the less a country relies on oil, the more it's able to be independent from the Middle East, Russia, and the United States.

>You missed the joke. I was making fun of the VW diesel emission scandal.
I did not. The so-called "emission scandal" is American protectionism. VW diesel cars in the "outrageous manipulated state" pass 2008 diesel regulation, no problem.

So the big outrage is over cars which still drive around American cities every day... just because they were sold one or two years after America put stricter diesel regulations in place in 2008 to protect the American car industry from diesel competition during the financial crisis and the car bailouts of Bush II via TARP.

Are you trying to imply that the Kraut is a hypocrite? Because I'll have you know that underneath the moss covered solar panel on his red tile roof beats the heart of a green party hero!

Serious like tho', Krauts are fucking hypocrites when it comes to green tech.

> saved 450 on gas
> spent an extra 500 on electric bill
> profit?

>Start world war 2 over being denied the right of economic protectionism
>complain about other countries economic protectionism.

Can Germany do anything right?

>Okay Hans, I'm sure those will make excellent power.
30MWh per ball in storage. That is quite a lot. You just need like 70 of them for a 1 GW peak capacity wind power plant to store the energy used by people in the night.

>The ugliest BMW ever made

Agreed.
But still not as ugly as a Nissan LEAF.

Don't know why they do this.
They aren't even very aerodynamic.

You seem to misunderstand. The car has an app where you enter the current price of gas and the cost of electricity per kwh.

>Start world war 2
Anything else you wanna bring up, fake Anglo?

Maybe ww1?

Hark! I imply nothing.

[spoiler]Everyone knows their mischievous ways.

>Because those countries in Europe actually care about what happens when natural resources run out.
Hardly when most of the power is produced by coal and oil in the UK.

Taking bets on how VW will cheat on electric car emissions.

Except the only cars that charge that fast cost like 100k and for the price of a real good normal car, you get a yogurt pot with 4 weels that can't do 300km without charging for hours on end, and as someone who needs to do 800km every 3 months to see my family, I dont see why I woud use an """e"""car in this present year, I'm not oposed to if they can actually catch up with real cars in ten years, but today, simply not worth it.

I don't know where you live that electricity would be that expensive.

Like let's take a generic "long range" electric car.
300km/ on a 60kwh charge. Electricity here is like 7c per kwh.

So it would cost me 4 dollars and 20 cents per charge. It's literally 1.4 cents per kilometer to drive.

>buys $35,000 electric Fiat
>literally the size of a Smart Car
>literally has 100 hp
>literally costs $3000 to have the charging station installed
>GUYS I SAVED $500 ON GAS THIS YEAR! UPBOAT ME PLS!

millennial redditors, everyone