(Continuation) Orbital Ring is an overpriced boondoggle. Launch Loop Master Race

Faggots keep coming in here and talking about building an Orbital Ring. It would cost $500 billion, and cut your launch costs from $2000/kg to $1/kg.

A Launch Loop would cost $30 billion and cut your launch costs to $3/kg. $30 billion is NASA's annual budget. Way easier to pull of politically.

They both reduce your costs by orders of magnitude,but a Launch Loop is cheaper and easier to engineer. Once it's up, we could put your homosexual Orbital Ring up for another $20 billion or so.

The Launch Loop still lets you mine asteroids and earn trillions of dollars, and it still lets you produce space-based solar power for under 1c/kwh.That's so cheap they pay for themselves with 2-3 years. So, throw up about $3 trillion of satellites, and by year 3 you can abolish federal income tax.

Orbital Rings are for fags. Launch Loops are for heteros.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_loop

youtube.com/watch?v=zSimYARyL2w

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KerG4ILWEa4
youtu.be/RL-woi9UfA8
youtube.com/watch?v=zSimYARyL2w
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_Weapon_System
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump for a better future

Finally a good post in this board

Orbital Ring and Launch Loop are Psyops to bait people who aren't scientifically literate into making fools of themselves, therefore discrediting them.

Here's a newer video on Launch Loops by the same guy
youtube.com/watch?v=KerG4ILWEa4

>A launch loop is proposed to be a structure 2,000 km long and 80 km high.

>80 km high.

>currently highest building is 848meter

literally impossible

Perhaps, but to be fair explaining the workings of the loop and the ring is fairly easy because they are basically a brute force approach to space.

Nothing impossible about it, it's just extremely energy intensive.

nope its impossible.

how would you even construct it?

>yea man I just get into the 30km high crane and build that loop bullshit

Actually, it works in the same principle as this toy:
youtu.be/RL-woi9UfA8

No cranes required.

As I keep saying, we are better off making a rotorvator staircase, but the idea works.

Oh, so you've published scientific research that disagrees with the experts who know it is possible?

nah I doubt it works.
looks and sounds like bullshit to me.

what would we even need that shit for?

Fuck off you fucking dumbass. You dont know shit

>literally impossible

Things that are at all more ambitious than current things are impossible.

bump

>Nothing impossible about it, it's just extremely energy intensive.

Yes, a decent amount of money and energy will have to go into this. But we can get hundreds of times more out of it, so it's worth the effort.

Space launch. Using a sled over the cable, you can send things into space at a relatively small acceleration. It uses fairly well known principles and previously use technology in, admittedly, a never used before scale. Current calculations hold it should work, but you know it is with calculations.

That we can agree with.

Energy policy.

Rotovator staircases are even more efficient, require less material, and involve even less R&D of the details, but yeah, failing that, a launch loop is better than even reusable rockets.

>It would cost $500 billion
So a quarter of the Afghan/Iraq war? Fuck it, build 4 of them.

>what would we even need that shit for?

Getting trillions of dollars of minerals off of asteroids. Solar power that's ~80% less than coal.

>implying it doesn't need constant maintenance
>yea man I just climb up 80km on the side up to fix that broken shit
>capsule gets stuck at 60km height

nah its bullshit

Got some cost estimates?

We need a way to mass produce carbon nano tubes first

>So a quarter of the Afghan/Iraq war?

Yeah. Or NASA's annual budget.

Solar power is shit. Fusion is the Future (together with Liquid salt reactors)

also its probably cheaper to just attach a huge net around an asteroid and brake him with parachutes and land him in the ocean in a shallow place.

Worse. The loop is kept aloft by a huge cable or string of beads kept moving THROUGH the damn thing, so the centrifugal force keeps it airborne. The energy requirements are enormous. No known tech can power it efficiently.

And god help you if the power fails and the whole shebang falls back to earth...

Make up one sentence scenarios, assume they utterly destroy $30 billion peice of equipment, reach preposterous conclusion.

and power loss could happen any moment.

like I said, its shit and impossible and impractical

>yo lets build some overengineered bullshit that doesn't even really work and could fail at any moment and fund it with muh taxes so jews can mine gold in space

yea nah

How do we need carbon nanotubes for things that can easily be built with steel?

>Solar power is shit

Yeah, it's just cutting your power bill about 80%.

>Fusion is the Future

Anything viable?

>(together with Liquid salt reactors)

Agreed.

>and power loss could happen any moment.

Of course, that would make it explode. And catch on fire.

>like I said, its shit and impossible and impractical

Oh, you proved it!

>yo lets build some overengineered bullshit that doesn't even really work and could fail at any moment and fund it with muh taxes so jews can mine gold in space

"I like paying taxes and not haivng 10% economic growth!"

>A Launch Loop would cost $30 billion and cut your launch costs to $3/kg. $30 billion is NASA's annual budget.

These estimates are from Keith Lofstrom, an engineer.
Engineers can't budget or count money worth crap. See NASA.

Give me an estimate from an Accountant or someone with a degree in Economics.

>currently nonviable technology is what we should utilize
>attach a net around an asteroid and parachutes will somehow stop it from breaking up upon impact/slowing it down to any significant degree
well your ideas are shittier than solar panels

here's an improvement to the asteroid one: attach boosters to the asteroid with a decent fuel source for maneuvering and some kind of coating which is mostly resistant to entry conditions. the asteroid would be able to land like a soyuz capsule if done right.

>mfw your shitty loop will never be build because everyone and their mom knows its shit tier

>These estimates are from Keith Lofstrom, an engineer.
>Engineers can't budget or count money worth crap

Flawless logic. Experts don't know what they know.

>See NASA.

See OP

but thats exactly what my Idea was you funny autist

What about wind and earthquakes? Wouldn't this be a huge target for an enemy nation?

About 10 billion per 1000 km Rotovator, which would mean a supersonic carrier could fly up to its tip, deliver a 100 ton cargo, and then have it delivered to MEO and below. Add another one, and you can be on your way to GEO, all without any new energy input. Note the second rotorvator can be pulled up in pieces by the first one, further reducing the cost of a staircase.

This dude reeeaally needs someone else to narrate his videos for him.

MSR's are the future pleb

Make it very clear that if they touch it we will nuke them.

>him

Stop misgendering asteriods, shitlord

Solar power and wind power are both pretty shit.
>cost a fuck ton to make and maintain
>still needs a whole backup system in case there is no wind or cloudy
>solar is useless at night, which is when all the lights are on

It's fairly inmmune to both due to the way it works. The toy uses friction and a small mass to keep it spinning and stable, but this uses a magnetic field for containment, one that's part generated by power put in, a larger part generate by the movement of the chain. Even with the power cut off, it should still function as design and slowly lose height as it loses velocity within the sheath. Assuming no breach occurs which causes it to burn up with eddy currents, it should be harmless to everyone around.

>What about wind and earthquakes?

We can calculate the forces created by these, and build the structure strong enough to withstand.

>muh engineers are infallible

But why? Once it's on earth's orbit, mining it becomes trivial landing it safely on earth would be the most energy intensive operation ever attempted, even with a loop running below.

Go get raped by sandniggers.

Solar power is king in space, you can't do much better.

What about terrorists?

Cost to orbit/kg? Preferably from a peer-reviewed source?

>"we should attach parachutes to it"
>this implies coating it with materials for entry into the atmosphere
uhhh nope

You know anybody?

Nuclear can. In fact, solar is useful (not even better) till about just before Mars, after that point it becomes so weak to reach uselessness.

Reminder that the orbital space ring would have to spin at 18,000 mph

Reminder that this project requires the object to be launched at 25,000 mph

Wind sucks. Land-based solar sucks. Space-based solar is way, way cheaper than coal.

You are a Communist if you disagree, and demand that people pay higher prices based on your made-up preference.

If numbers kek wills it

Nah, put that shit on the moon like the mass driver from Policenauts

>landing it safely on earth would be the most energy intensive operation ever attempted
>loser who doesn't know about Aerobraking

>gets butthurt because his ideas suck

grow up kid

Atmosphere absorbs practically all the beam though

Nuclear reactors are extremely heavy and produce a lot of heat, both bad things for space. Of course solar gets less effective as you get farther out though.

>source is a jewtube video which links to a PDF written by the guy who designed it.
>asks for peer reviewed sources from others

Space based solar sounds interesting but how do you transmit energy back to earth?

go jerk off merkel tossie roll

>what is a liquid salt reactor

holy shit educate yourself you dumb nigger

a) That design would never work, those beams would flex too much
b)All that weight on top of the foundations that are going to rust in salt water is a terrible idea
c)The amount of Delta V required to change an inclination of orbit would make this thing never pay for itself.

It's retarded.

How would they get to it if we have an aircraft parked next to it?

Those run monumentally hotter than traditional nuclear reactors, dingus.

>Nuclear can.

Most optimistic estimate for thorium are 1.5/kwh

>what is a Radiator

I swear this guy is getting dumber with every reply

Not really. Maybe 10%.

You cant build that shit. We dont have the materials for it and its cheaper to just shoot stuff into space the normal way than to take such a gamble.

>Construction is impossible
>We dont have the materials for it
>Its not safe
>Transportation of materials is impossible.

Also we dont need to put thousand tons into orbit. First, we need to know how to get useful shit down from space without going extinct

Congratulations, now you have even more weight to deal with.

>youtube.com/watch?v=zSimYARyL2w [Remove]

>That autism accent
It's hard to listen to

Pretending peer-reviewed science isn't science.

>Radiating a nuclear plant worth of heat

Holy fuck, you cant be serious. Thats impossible, radiators arent fucking magic, theyre not that efficient.

Youd melt the spaceship

>what are titanium alloys

jesus, grow a brain already dude

>Chunk of space debris knocks into the satellite causing beam to vaporize a swath of the Earth

Seems pretty cool.

Wow, more one-sentence allegations that have no basis in reality.

so in other words, roughly the same % that gets through the atmosphere naturally?

Why not just collect it on the ground?

>You cant build that shit.

False.

>We dont have the materials for it

False.

>and its cheaper to just shoot stuff into space the normal way than to take such a gamble.

$2000/kg is less than $3/kg?

>First, we need to know how to get useful shit down from space without going extinct

We've known, for decades, how to get useful shit from space. The launch costs have been the limiting factor.

Believing in the launch loop jew.

Says the guy on the autistic chinese cartoon memeboard.

The only one who needs to grow a brain here is you.

Wow, more dismissive arguments that don't prove your point better at all. Nice going.

>2 false

Might as well post citations and calculations user.

no you you launch loop loser

Please, tell me about how we can't turn the beam off, or how space debris magically appears with no warning, or how we can't use lasers or a rocket to push it away.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_Weapon_System

Issac Arthur is one of the most based motherfuckers on youtube. He joined to army to "relieve the stress of intense academia working towards his physics degree".

>HFW: Too smart of normie accents

I don't even care about that, I was just informing you that you were wrong about solar power in space.

>whole energy is used to keep the laser operational

Brilliant

Also to add, undertaking the biggest building project mankind has ever had with slim chance to succeed does infact cost more than current launch prices

Wants to keep paying taxes when he can not pay taxes without doing anything Jew.

but its not peer reviewed.

I bet going through basic was hard on him. The Army is very locker room.

Once you post a coherent explanation besides "The sun will hit it! It'll explode!" you'll be treated seriously.

No way dude, he literally is the Sup Forums hivemind's voice and will help lead the wite wace to its cosmic future.