Anti-missile defense

Let's say North Korea launches a missile at a military target in San Diego or elsewhere on the west coast.

Is that thing ever getting anywhere near American soil, or are we shooting it down? Is it feasible to say North Korea could bomb us?

Military anons chime in, would like to hear from you.

Other urls found in this thread:

express.co.uk/news/world/790821/Donald-Trump-Kim-Jong-un-Sean-Spicer-North-Korea-US-war-Hawaii-nuclear-missile
vice.com/en_us/article/how-to-prepare-for-a-north-korean-invasion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suitcase_nuclear_device
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pukkuksong-1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-Based_Midcourse_Defense
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

We would either fuck up the launch sequence via a cyber attack (we've had an 88% success rate with this in NK in the last couple months) or hit it with a THAAD missile shortly after launch. It would be going too fast to intercept on it's descent back to Earth.

How high do ICBMs fly?

Former THAAD here.
Yes, we would shoot them down.

Most modern arsenals have orbital capability.

At least 700 miles. They leave Earth's atmosphere.

missiles would likely be taken out. the travel time from launch to impact is relativly short, and you want to be sure that the missile is carrying a nuclear warhead before you shoot it down, or else you're starting a war by shooting down a dummie. kim will probably strike if just one of his missiles are taken out. the problem is if they have just one submarine, one boat or an one airplane, having splipped through the net with a nuclear weapon, everything changes.

read: express.co.uk/news/world/790821/Donald-Trump-Kim-Jong-un-Sean-Spicer-North-Korea-US-war-Hawaii-nuclear-missile

and the war will be ugly, read: vice.com/en_us/article/how-to-prepare-for-a-north-korean-invasion

these fuckers doesn't know anything than "great leader", and are loyal as fuck.

>assuming they even have a missile that can reach the west coast
>assuming their INS is even accurate enough to target a specific city
they don't have GPS so it's INS all the way
Steps to be taken in order
>preemptively nuke them
>if that fails THAAD from japan will try to intercept while the ICBM climbs
>if that fails a multitude of Aegis equipped missile destroyers will launch SM-3 block IIA for mid course intercept
>if that fails THAAD here at home will launch for terminal intercept
>if that fails patriot SAM will launch for the last line of defense for med/low altitude intercept.

this does not account for some of those SA programs we don't know about (mini shuttle)

AEGIS will cockblock anything NK tries to do

How modernized is their military? Has China or Russia been arming NK? I can't imagine them being anywhere near the US from a military technology standpoint

They have pretty stealthy subs and that's about it

they can't get the range to hit san diego. they could hit japan, south korea, china, russia, but they can't hit mainland america.

>THAAD missile
that or a patriot missile. if they try something with japan i wouldn't be surprised if a SM-3 intercepts.

The delivery mechanism has been the weakest link for North Korea. They could strike South Korea or Japan, but they still require more years of missile tests before our west coast would be a threat.

I guess great korea will never be the same :(

What about air force?dont they have good one ?

Patriots are designed to shoot down aircraft, which fly considerably slower than ICBMs

But the nuclear payload is available by all accounts

>The PAC-3 upgrade carried with it a new missile design, nominally known as MIM-104F and called PAC-3 by the Army.[24] The PAC-3 missile evolved from the Strategic Defense Initiative's ERINT missile, and so it is dedicated almost entirely to the anti-ballistic missile mission,

>However, the most significant upgrade to the PAC-3 missile is the addition of a Ka band active radar seeker. This allows the missile to drop its uplink to the system and acquire its target itself in the terminal phase of its intercept, which improves the reaction time of the missile against a fast-moving ballistic missile target.

> The PAC-3 missile is accurate enough to select, target, and home in on the warhead portion of an inbound ballistic missile. The active radar also gives the warhead a "hit-to-kill" (kinetic kill vehicle) capability that completely eliminates the need for a traditional proximity-fused warhead.

>the missile still has a small explosive warhead, called Lethality Enhancer, a warhead which launches 24 low-speed tungsten fragments in radial direction to make the missile cross-section greater and enhance the kill probability. This greatly increases the lethality against ballistic missiles of all types.

hey kim. just nuke israel instead

I live here. Expect to be nuked/sacrificed like Pearl Harbor. Kill that gook first please.

>loyal as fuck

Nei. Saw a north korean defector talk about if someone kills Kimmy and the country gets the news they will celebrate and insta-turn on the government

depends if they have sub-launchers or not

*sigh* lots of morons on here tonight.

> Version 1

> Be North Korea
> Know you can't get shit to the U.S. mainland with a missle, Even if it successfully flies that far, may be shot down with anti-missle defense system up in Alaska.
> Gee I know, why don't we sneak it out of the country, and load it into the cargo hold of an airliner.
> Lots of room on United Flights by the weekend....
> Load nuke up in third world shit airport, where easy to bribe security workers.
> (Obviously tell them it is drugs.)
> Sat. phone to detonate it, with timer backup.
> Go on flight tracker, wait until opportune spot for an air blast........
> And success.

Rare. Godspeed fellow American.

RARE
A
R
E

guam voted for clinton. They are no americans of mine

I know a guy who did a long time in the navy with all sorts of covert shit. To be honest, there is a anti-ballistic missle defense SAM thing in every fucking major city in this country. So either we cyber attack it like says, or that shit is getting blasted outta the atmosphere.

That's a lot of logistics. You're talking about moving a nuclear weapon thousands of miles and loading on to (probably) multiple planes including at least 1 commercial flight.

When shit hits the fan we're all Americans

>this cunt expects to be able to get a nuclear bomb onto United
either United will detect the bomb and you'll get nuked, or United will not detect the bomb but it will kick the bomb out of the plane in exchange for a stray piece of bird shit.

Version 2

> Be North Korea
> Have truck launched missile with uneven success record.
> Gotta get it past U.S. defenses.
> Wat do.............
> Smuggle it out of country on submarine.
> Take to third world shithole in Africa.
> Transfer to freighter.
> Freighter to New York City Harbor.
> Launch it, with warhead set to go off, in the event missile fails, immediately.
> If missile doesn't fail right off the bat, then choose air blast over NYC, or high altitude EMP.

Umm what part of load it onto airliner in third world shithole wasn't clear?

Nonstop flight from there to U.S., radiation detectors can't pick it up, until it lands...........

Guam
>RARE PEPE

>there's not submarines off the coast of central CALIFORNIA rn

That's a mighty small missile to make it from North Korean waters to mainland U.S.

Plus they haven't exactly been reliable.

I hope they launch one at LA and it blows the shit out of that cesspool. Bye bye (((Hollywood)))

NK strategists probably don't take a missle strike aimed at US mainland into account at all....
That's just propaganda in hopes of scaring some burgers and down white piggu's morale (sun tzu: when you're far away make it seem like you're near).....
NK strategists probably aim something for US attacking fleets (possibly nuke sub suicide missions) and US air bases in SK and Japan. And they probably know themselves that their strike capabilities won't be up for long before the US air force takes them out, so time will be valuable to them at the start of war......

Then later it's just deep defense, with a combination of adapted tactics that were most successful against US invaders over the last decades seen all over the world (combination of insurgency and vietnam style tunnel guerilla stuff and so on, and I'm making my bet right now that they WILL use chemical and biological warfare when in desperation).
And if their ruthless enough they will make use of 'nuked earth' policy, an evolved form of scorched earth that would involve nuking your own country with good timing by detonations and dirty bombs when enemy forces march in....

you do realize this shit is literally what the Navy Fucking SEALs (not "what did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch" seals) have trained to stop for the last 5 decades, right?
how on earth can you seriously believe that north korea would be able to smuggle a nuclear bomb onto an aircraft? for that matter, how would they even get it out of the country? australian OTH radar can pick up ships leaving port in south korea for fucks sake.

>freighters
>accepting a cargo container with a nuclear bomb in it
this isn't COD

Look up 94th and 32nd aamdc

No Americans will invade and no norks are going to nuke themselves for their delirious leader

China has been waiting for decades for a US president that is willing to aid them in a coup so they can install a sane leader in the area, Trump is willing to help with a carrier strike group

There must be countless agents in nork territory and high government ready to initiate at a moments notice, it will be a blitzkrieg the likes you have never seen

>nuking america
>not expecting to be flattened in the following hours

but not guam though, those fucking PRs either
I want the territories gone. They contribute nothing and just leech off of our wealth

literally welfare countries

I told my dad that an NK x America war will start in half an hour so it better otherwise I'll probably have to get sat down and talked to about fake news.

Version 3

> Be North Korea.....
> Get yourself a nice noisy low moving freighter.
> Load nuke onto submarine.
> Park your semi quiet submarine underneath the freighter.
> Secure said submarine to freighter.
> Skeleton crew on board for obvious reasons.
> Air lines from freighter to sub to snorkel it, and fuel lines to keep tanks topped off.
> Run sub engines to help reduce strain on mount holding it to the ship.
> Time for one each to San Francisco bay, Port of Los Angeles, Seattle, New York City, hmm and maybe Boston Harbor.
> Obvious mayhem ensues.

I hope you're right leafyboy, but what you're describing is a best best best case scenario....
If we look at history, ultra communist regimes tend to fight absolutely ruthlessly and with no regard for human life (meaning their own), including scorched earth, enduring agent orange bombardement for 10+ years, enduring the worst humans have seen in war (and making it their war policy, think human waves).....
I'd not put anything past them and be prepared for lots of terrible pictures hitting normies over the newspapers as the war grows older

Umm they load it onto a fishing boat, they are allowed to fish in international waters.

Or they load it onto a submarine.

What the fuck would navy seals be doing guarding an airport in a third world country?!?

>implying the US couldn't detect a north korean submarine

Wiki says they have around two thousand aircraft. I'm an IRfag that studied these sorts of things. The distance is a factor working against the South Koreans if say a bomber was to be sent to Seoul, but the US has superior air power, end of story. Of course, NK has a multitude of anti-aircraft weaponry ready which would be an impediment for attacking but it would be fair to assume fighter jets are currently on standby if they weren't already.

See above for airplanes. They've been testing missiles for years and have had many failures. They could likely hit closer targets such as South Korea and Japan, but they have yet to reach the full range which would include the western US coast. Norway alluded to an above scenario with their submarines which they have a lot of. They aren't nuclear subs and the technology is still decades old, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were crazy enough to try delivery via submarine (which I don't believe they've ever done). If they use nukes, it would go ICBM>sub>plane and it would probably go SK>Japan>??? (but not US territory)
Still, a nuclear attack would spell the end if the regime.

P.S. plenty of nonstop international flights arrive every day at our airports.

USA mainland would be safe. Be more worried for Australia, S. korea and Japan.

>Implying Kimmy isn't a genius and hasn't planned for this his whole life.

Fastened underneath a large noisy freighter..............?

You sure about that user..........?

>>Umm they load it onto a fishing boat, they are allowed to fish in international waters.
>hmm what's this north korean fishing boat doing three nautical miles from NYC

>Or they load it onto a submarine.
so let me get this straight, the US isn't going to catch a whiff of NK transporting a nuclear bomb to a submarine at all? even if they did, what's the point? you inflict minor damage on LA (if you even get that far), then the US goes to town on you like they did in vietnam.

RARE photo of a north korean submarine

There's a greater chance of Guam tipping over and capsizing than you getting a visit from the juche nigger.

>implying 'Kimmy' is strategically intelligent

A tungsten rod falling from orbit is unstoppable.

plot of the book One Second After: someone with NK involvement launches nukes into the atmosphere above the US from three separate container ships that had made port in 10+ cities before reaching the Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic, and the Pacific. Causes EMP effect, crippling US infrastructure. is this a plausible scenario at all? the studies and papers referenced in the book make it seem so but I really don't know.

>Implying Kimmy isn't smart enough to take on the U.S.

this has so many problems

if the DPRK ever got to the point where they could fire a nuclear warhead at the continental US we would have likely preemptively struck their launch facilities and invaded

if by some magic they did fire it off, with early detection radar systems we would likely know within a very short period of time that a missile has been launched at us

we dont really have any current(public knowledge) interceptor capable weapons capable of being fired at nuclear weapons, we MIGHT be able to use something like an anti-satellite weapon but thats all speculation

Our GMD system could almost certainly stop a single missile being fired at us even a full blown ICBM but if they fired a large volley at us the system would probably get overwhelmed

the only scenario that a nuke lands on our homeland is the dprk somehow develops a strategic stealth bomber capable of carrying nuclear weapons and it avoids detection until it delivers its payload or they somehow manage to fire a large volume of ICBM's at us

NK's ICBM is primitive, it's not fast enough to penetrate defenses and has no ECM. Coupled with the small amount of them they're likely to have (like 2 or 3) and they can't even overwhelm the defenses. Even if they made empty pseudo ICBMs as a distraction they still wouldn't have enough.

So basically no. America would be shooting them down over the sea and the mainland.

I would be more concerned about them never testing the ICBM delivery method with no nuke warhead. It's almost as if they're not compatible. I think NK's nukes are short range defensive tactical nukes, like a nuclear canon shell. It makes the most sense.

Hmm how you figure minor damage? They have a sub launched ballistic missile. The question is, go for air blast damage, or for high altitude EMP?

If a north korean diesel sub avoids all of the fucking US navy I will eat my fucking shoe

But North Korea could do a terror attack.

A Nork could sneakily & stealthy infiltrate in US
(delivering the bomb inside a suitcase for example)
detonating it on ground rather than by a missile.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suitcase_nuclear_device

are you fucking retarded

do you think the DPRK has R E M O T E L Y enough of a well developed nuclear program to make suitcase weapons, its not a matter of just "xd maek it smol" its a whole nother ball game.

Might need to be hungry user...........

YES! PLEASE NORKS, BLOW UP LA!

is that real

>infowars

jesus fuck

Hi AEGIS

Hi THAAD

China has been selling them dud weapons for decades.

its probably a concept weapon

there is no public knowledge on actual suitcase sized weapons for obvious reasons

we only really know about warheads that could fit into a backpack like what paras could deploy after dropping behind enemy lines

>delivery via submarine (which I don't believe they've ever done)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pukkuksong-1

> surely no step in my elaborate retarded plan will go wrong

Some social media campaign will delay the flight and the whole plan will be foiled

are you fucking retarded

all 3 of those countries you listed PUT TOGETHER couldn't handle the US at its current state

China is literally just manpower with laughable technology and power projection, Russia is in the 1990's in referance to US infantry equipment and its navy/airforce is a joke, NK is like the 1968 version of the USSR's military with an overall embarrassing military that could only accomplish invading the ROK by sheer numbers until US support came just like the korean war

>thinking NK was smart enough to make one of their own
>thinking NK was lucky enough to find one from the Soviet days
>thinking NK could sneak it through a naval port or air port

>ballistic missile

thats not the same as an ICBM

a fucking Navy-Fighter with AMRAAM's could shoot that down

It was a hypothetical weapon someone imagined. When the scientists and engineers were quizzed about the specifics by their peers there was lots "it is possible, but..." responses.

The idea was, you could potentially make a nuke out of household materials and make a dirty suitcase nuke. No one has managed it yet. You can make some fairly hazardous radioactive materials from household products but not to the extent required without some serious equipment. The fact you need that equipment would make it nearly impossible to make without being caught. So, yes it is possible BUT you need materials which are expensive, specialized or dangerous which makes them easy to spot by authorities.

It was propaganda. If you go to a labratory and pay them to show a possible nuclear threat they will come up with this garbage. They didn't pay them to find out if this threat was possible. It's all political, trying to give a particular stance credit through academic research. Just ignore the bias request.

Their absolute reach atm is about 1900mi.

However, subterfuge is what you need to worry about with norks, not might.

They are a lot more subversive than the US gives them credit for.

Hmm if fired unexpectedly, got up over 300 miles high. Fire it from 100 miles offshore, could make for a nasty EMP event.

Why did that make me laugh

would be so awesome if china assassinated kim and spearheaded an internal coup

Because it's probably true

if they nuke us it won't be like vietnam
we will unleash a hellstorm the likes of which the earth has never seen

We have spy satellites that can literally detect nuclear weapons everywhere on the planet at all times. They all send off a unique neutrino signature. These fuckin neutrinos are poppin off at all times just announcing to anybody who can see them that, "hey I'm some densely packed radioactive material"

>faggots from america getting scared of missiles and nukes
>meanwhile, im sitting here, right next to china and north korea
Remember, your war started when pearl harbor got bombed

Interesting to see something about submarine tests since the focus is usually on land-based tests. Facts I took away:
>still lack nuclear subs
>diesel subs they have lack AIP and are much slower >it will take at least another year or two before such missiles become operational
Not a threat to the US coastline, but it could be a concern to South Korea/Japan in the coming years (still inferior though).

source on that? seems sketchy.

America has no existing nuclear defense systems on its own soil. Electronic signal dont disable missiles.

Correct, but I'm pretty sure that's the only vector that crazy bastard will use, beyond throwing his landpower at south korea.

>America has no existing nuclear defense systems on its own soil.

If you think Hawaii doesn't, you are woefully naive.

Ok? Mainland US then, doesn't make a difference to my point.

The DPRK could only hope to do damage to the US via clandestine means. Infiltrators could feasible cripple the power grid and with reasonable SIGINT support do some damage to US chain of command, among other things. Romeo class submarines could theoretically get to Hawaii (or the West coast in a one way trip) and lay mines and deliver frogmen, but they would almost certainly trip SOSUS and have half the navy on their asses.

isn't the main abm system up in Alaska?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-Based_Midcourse_Defense

It'd get shot down almost as soon as it launched, if it didn't just fall into the ocean. If I was north Korea, I'd smuggle in a dirty bomb via shipping container or something.

Or they could just hire some homeless niggers, and pay them in drugs, to start fires under interstate overpasses like up in Atlanta recently..........

Maybe, defectors tend to project their own views on their fellow citizens.

Water and power are the only infrastructures worth damaging in the U.S.