Are we going to reach immortality thorugh scientific progress?

When?
If yes, what will happen?

Nope, because universe will have an end.
Our souls can be immortal in the wathever place is heaven.

bump

The answer is in here.
Read it.
Stop being 15.
Go fuck yourself.

Yes, just in time for the term limit to be abolished.

I for one look forward to voting for Trump in his 777th term.

>wanting to be immortal instead of becoming nothing

stay bluepilled

>there are things which are not impermanent

I don't want immortality - neither for me of for anyone else, that's exactly my concern user

explain yourself Parmenides

immortality implies the permanent duration of some stable object (identity, ego, soul, whatever). this would imply it has an existence independent of other objects and it has an intrinsic/eternal nature. but upon looking closely at absolutely any thing, we see that it is composed of other things, things which come into and go out of existence themselves. therefore any thing is 'empty' in of itself and will necesarily go out of existnece when those things which it is composed of do too. how can immortality be real if the supposed object of immorality cannot persist?

Immortality is impossible. The closest we can get is lengthening telomeres to slow ageing, replacing failing organs and tissues with newly cloned replacements, and making neurons regrow.

I wouldn't want immortality. This place is fucked up, I look forward to purgatory and hopefully heaven.

Fug u

I want to be immortal. When I die it for the most part gets to be on my terms when I feel I am done with the universe. You get be the master race unless you want to become a leader, a God.

No, but a bunch of idiots will be convinced they can become immortal by lying to have their consciousness "downloaded" for an exorbitant price

If you make it to purgatory you are guaranteed getting to heaven.

Zardoz, the post.

I haven't seen that movie in forever. I'm going to download it right now. Thanks.

how do I contact shareblue

what a pussy i wanna fight who wrote this

You're already immortal. That's the problem.

you are already immortal you fucking potato. grab a book on near death or out of body experiences and you will find out real fast this isn't the only place with a party.

So much of what motivates us as humans is our fear of loss, stemming from the fear of losing our lives.

>Humans get so lazy that their physical bodies become useless.
>Upload their brains to a supercomputer and spend the rest of their "life" in a futa sim eating Mars bars.
>Ai robots are left to clean up the planet and explore the stars.
>Supercomputer turns off one day.
>The entirety of humanity is snuffed out in a single silent instantaneous moment.
>All that remains of us are the machines whose function is take off where we left off.

We've already found the immortality that any human can actually live with, Jesus.

that's just like... your opinion, man

>believing that an AI copy of your mind would continue the unbroken stream of consciousness through which you experience the world

It's like the problem with the transporter from Star Trek. The current version of you will simply get obliterated and you'll continue on as a copy that doesn't know the difference. Unless you find a way to transfer the human soul (which most of these techno-fucks don't believe in anyway) then all these attempts at artificially prolonging human life are meaningless.

Did you ever notice how pretty much everything you love, you are also afraid to lose?
Seriously, we use the two concepts interchangeably in social settings.
Watch:
>user, I'm glad you're okay! I don't know what I'ld done if I had lost you!
Expressing fear of loss to communicate my love
or
>user, please don't do this. I love you too much
Expressing love to communicate my fear of loss.
They are the same thing in the end or at least come from the same place.

after white man discovers the key to immortality the jew will take that tech and put it in his drawer that says 'things that are not for the goyim'

other things in that drawer:
- cancer cures
- free energy machines
- real history of mankind
- real history of jews

These post are correct. Any immortality, even one with every conceivable pleasure and joy, would in time become indistinguishable from hell. The only thing that can make eternity joyful is in the infinity mysterious and unfathomable, God.

i'm sure i can find something else to motivate me when i'm not being smothered in earth. deathism is always a litany of excuses to trick your brain into not thinking about death or to excuse it as a good thing.

Quest for immortality is retarded.

The end goal is scraping your life out so thin it would be as if you were barely alive for eternity.

Plus immortality is quasi-accomplished through reproduction anyway

when you die, you die. Nothing happens to you after that

>deathism
never heard that before. I'll have to look it up.
But being mentally aware of the reality of death isn't neccessarily a bad thing is it?

This. Imagine being reduced to a brain in a jar being pumped full of endorphins, only pleasure exist nothing else.

Who's to say the perfect (or near so) perfect machine is a human body? Imagine, a machine that can heal itself! Just need to get past this pesky rapid cell decay and free radicals.

No concept of time or existence exist, only pleasure. Why even be alive?

how far are we from transhumanism
150 years maybe?

Do you really think you'd get to choose, people would be uploaded at birth and their bodies tossed in a dumpster, only to live the empty existence that is eternal pleasure. He'll who's to even say that people will be born anymore, it's only extra processing power at this point.

fuck off demiurge / GAOTU

Human "immortality" will be when science increases human life expectancy increases by more than a year, each year. By definition you should never die but murder and chaos still exist so you can't truly be immortal

I think we'll get to 200 years max before neuroscience finds a way to implant nano bots into our brains that can make us live in an alternate VR world. Then it's only a matter of eliminating the human element and uploading our consciousness to a super computer.

>Not just making another universe with some bullshit sci-fi fiction voodoo logic.

fpbp

No such thing as immortality. You will die when the universe collapses in on itself.