North Korean hidden nuclear sub

How much of a threat is this really?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Sokcho_submarine_incident
peachmountain.com/5star/images/Monitor-and-Merrimack/Monitor_and_Merrimack-16.jpg
businessinsider.com/how-us-would-strike-north-korea-2017-3
abendblatt.de/politik/ausland/article107314674/Das-Zielfoto-das-einen-US-Admiral-wuetend-machte.html
defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/162488/how-a-30_year-old-french-sub-sank-a-us-carrier-group.html
alles-schallundrauch.blogspot.de/2007/11/chinesisches-u-boot-schockt-us-navy.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_North_Korean_ships
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

look at that state of the art technology

On a threat scale of 1-5 it's a 2

I know, it's a rust bucket

We were watching ASW patrols off of California / Mexico just yesterday.

So maybe there's something to it.

Do you have any idea how advanced SONAR tech is, or how pervasively NATO has saturated the oceans with it?
They can hear whales shit from half an ocean away, and then figure out how large the turd was by triangulating with another receiver another half an ocean away.

Better question; have you ever read about the insane shit they do to American submarines so they can avoid SONAR? There's more tech in two feet of an American attack submarine than the entire continent of Africa has ever invented.

This thing could get picked off by a single boat with a single torpedo if it was fed the right co-ords by America's satellites and SONAR networks.

It's high enough to give them a bit of freedom

A huge green metal dildo.

You know what the problem of submarines is? No matter the design, they are extremely easy to detect, because of engine.

I'm guessing NK didn't make a new technology propelling it that the rest of the world couldn't.

We can sacrifice California.

I've seen Down Periscope, they totally rekt the real Navy

wow a submarine. why is this important?

I live a short mile outside offutt air base, nothing new here

Nuclear submarine

The propellers make noise, but you can turn those off and hide if you're being searched for.

The thing that fucks you is the power plant. You can't turn them off because they usually take forever to start back up, plus you'd suffocate.
Nuclear reactors are damn quiet, so is having a diesel engine with a battery to switch to when things get hot.

Unfortunately for NK there's no fucking way they have the tech to make a decent battery array or a compact nuclear reactor for that sub, it's a fuel engine for sure, which means it's a fucking metal tomb.

you have no idea what you are talking about. detecting and killing subs is insanely hard in combat scenarios. over long periods they have to surface to burn fuel and charge up but it is not easy to find or fight them for any military

WOW... that submarine looks fucking shit

Perhaps in combat scenarios due to audio distortion, but I'm sure no enemy sub could come even close to US strike range for a sneak attack.

>Attack while in submarine.
>Sub gets blown up.
>Dead fat kong.

was getting ded part of your plan?

No matter what technology rotates the turbines, those propellers still make a lot of noise. Noise that is easily picked up in water

You know those toy submarines you would play with in the tub as a kid? Those are more of a threat.

The US will allow a first strike by NK so we can (((retaliate)))

It's embarrasing, really. Why does Putin support this guy? All the cool countries hate North Korea

The missiles they have can't reach out very far. Subs can be hard to detect and carry a short range missile wherever they want it to go. The mainland of Korea is under 24/7 missile defense by USA and Japan so anything launched will be shot down promptly. A sub sneaking out of a missile defense shield is the only way one of their missiles will ever hit anything.

how much of a Hiroshima sized explosion is to a carrier under it?

Probably made in Russia. lol

>nuclear submarine
>hidden

Fake as fuck, no way he could fit in that hole.

doesn't really matter since the thing isn't even coated in rubber and active sonar will find it no problem

not if in nk territory then your the who Striked first.

this sub looks like something built in 1960..

You guys don't get it

They put nukes on the sub not in missiles but to use the sub itself as a nuclear torpedo

US Navy veteran submariner and I can tell you that's pretty accurate, actually. Any diesel submarine, even a piece of shit, is going to be quieter than a nuclear submarine when operating on the battery, which diesel submarines are designed to do for extended periods of time.

That and it only takes a single torpedo to sink a ship. A rust-bucket piece of shit diesel submarine could take out a US aircraft carrier, completely undetected, easily. The North Koreans are very capable of this.

Not even gonna lie, I would be pretty okay with one or two nukes dropped on san fran/seattle/LA.

NK has SLBMs with 2500km range.

They are diesel electrics with chinese tech

China gave them to subs in kit form

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Sokcho_submarine_incident
I think we're pretty safe

Looks old as fuck

>There's a country on earth with worse submarines then Canada

Yeah but you know it won't be spun that way. The news will report it as they attacked (((us)))

you idiots really have no idea how hard it is to detect submarines

ever fucking 1960s rustbucket pieces of shit are hard to find when they go silent and get retrofitted with signal mufflers

this punk could EASILY get a nuke near america tech wise

hes less likely to actually get a shot off. fuck who knows they might even defect rather than fire the nuke and if he is caught hes fucksowed

still...chances of this habbening? maybe 1 in 50.

Sunk or permanently rendered useless because of radioactivity.

I'm dying... 155 years after we built the first ones, North Korea manages to shit out a functional submarine.

peachmountain.com/5star/images/Monitor-and-Merrimack/Monitor_and_Merrimack-16.jpg

The threat isn't from the subs launching nukes, it's from him putting one inside of a sub and blowing it up. A more likely scenario would be pre-positioned nuclear weapons in the water at strategic points which he will detonate as our ships go over them

North Korean subs are derived from former Yugoslavian sub program. Yugo subs were made for the Adriatic sea, and were not of super high quality. Something is better than nothing, though, I guess.

usa have by far the best subs on the world

you shouldnt be worried at all

Tell us about Swiss subs.

Rating?

HM here. I don't envy you guys.

Hmmm I believe business insider wrote an article about this a few weeks ago: "North Korea has a submarine that can launch nuclear ballistic missiles, which would represent a big risk to US forces as it can sail outside of the range of established missile defenses.

Fortunately, the best submarine hunters in the world sail with the US Navy.

Helicopters would drop special listening buoys, destroyers would use their advanced radars, and US subs would listen for anything unusual in the deep. North Korea's antique submarine would hardly be a match for the combined efforts of the US, South Korea, and Japan.

While the submarine would greatly complicate the operation, it would most likely find itself at the bottom of the ocean before it could do any meaningful damage. "

businessinsider.com/how-us-would-strike-north-korea-2017-3

where did you get that from?

They can retain a lot of immigrant seamen.

>being stationed on an antiquated submarine
I don't know how those navy fags do it.

the problem is that you cant shoot down artillery and NK has a shittonne aimed at seoul.

if NK flattens seoul we will have global economic depression because its such a huge fucking hub of business and activity.

some believe htey could flatten the city within 2 hours.

basically the US would need to carpet bomb VAST parts of NK to destroy that artillery but hell even then I dont think they can get it done in time. it would have to be one of the fastest attacks humanly possible, hundreds of planes in the sky and hundreds of tomahawks reigning down on air defences

>US Navy veteran submariner and I can tell you
>it only takes a single torpedo to sink a ship
You're not sinking a USN tugboat with a single torpedo, m8, let alone a supercarrier.
LARP harder.

A lot of holes in them. Not seaworthy at all.

Monitor and Merrimack weren't subs ya dummy.

FYI Australians beat the US in a skirmish battle sub vs ship with a loud old electric diesel sub, was able to hide near waves near a shore to throw off the US high tech sound monitors and crew, its entirely possible for this sub to get away if they know the area

wrong

>Four descents have been achieved. The first was the manned descent by Swiss-designed, Italian-built, United States Navy-owned bathyscaphe Trieste which reached the bottom at 1:06 pm on 23 January 1960, with Don Walsh and Jacques Piccard on board
>Swiss-designed

we designed the first sub to reach the bottom of the challenger deep. a Swiss was inside the sub that first reached the bottom

so we are literally the best at making subs, only burgers are better at building weaponry but they use our world class engineering in many places

what are convergent zones?

abendblatt.de/politik/ausland/article107314674/Das-Zielfoto-das-einen-US-Admiral-wuetend-machte.html

defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/162488/how-a-30_year-old-french-sub-sank-a-us-carrier-group.html

alles-schallundrauch.blogspot.de/2007/11/chinesisches-u-boot-schockt-us-navy.html

US CBG defenses get penetrated all the time.

Muh navy stong is just a ferry tale.

best of luck NK! you can do it!

they could blow up NK subs with planes

>gets news articles about it
>secret

Does no one know what a secret is anymore?

kek economy think about the millions of souls! no pun intended here.

America is showing its true face, it will murder allies over its own interest.

its from a tabloid you fucking buffoon.

WIKI leaks knows!

I like your CZ-75 clones so much I bought one.

Not a threat, there isn't a submarine on earth that can launch a nuclear strike without detection

if even podunk bogan yokels can win engagements with piece of shit old subs then imagine what highly trained best slants could do with them?

if i were an american on the west coast i would be moving out of there asap

ex Navy submariner, RC-div. No way in hell is there a nuclear plant on that boat.

>NK nukes a handful of cities taking out a chunk of the population
>USA erases them from existence in response
Armed conflicts don't work like natural disasters you mong.

The real danger would be that any sub is silent when it isnt running. Technically NK could park this fucker a few hundred miles off shore, turn the engines off, and sit on the bottom for 4 days, put the snorkel up, refresh the air, and sit back on the bottom again.

You would really only be able to detect them at snorkel depth or at missile launch depth... getting away from a nuclear sub however isnt going to be possible. Then again, chances are good the NK crew dont expect to come back home after launching anyway

The elephant in the room is, has NK miniaturized their nukes to the point they can be sub launched?

slants can remultiply like crazy they can also evacuate or get into bomb shelters, which they will do if shit starts hitting the fan.

rebuilding the global economy after one of the its mega cities gets wiped out will be very difficult.

what will be bad is if the north attacks first.

the only sub im interested in

>implying thats the exact fucking nucular sub that will shoot the bomb
>im a submariner
>t. larping tard

Tell Trump to let the Norks Nuke California.

Interesting. Thanks for the links.

Why would they nuke anyone? Pretty sure N Korea would be wiped off the map in a week if they did something that stupid.

top secret classified picture was leaked by russian hackers
here's a look into the engine room of nk's state of the art secret submarine en route for Hawaii

He's running silent, running deep, no one hear him til it's to rate.

rusty ass sub lmao

this is not the picture I attached to my post, thanks for ruining my joke chinese moot.

No Sweden loves immigrant seamen.

You're wrong.

I feel like I could sink that sub if I sneezed on it. If they put a nuclear weapon in that tin piece of shit it'll drop out the fucking bottom and kill anyone on board.

and yet they couldn't find a missing 747

They have so many fucking problems I don't think they're ever actually operation.

Fuck our stupid politicians for buying that garbage, and fuck those limey assholes for putting that shit on the market instead of just scrapping it.

You know they're not designed for freshwater lakes don't you leaf?

This

Now i'm hungry. Thanks.

no, it was the picture I attached to my post in another thread at the same time, apparently the pic server can get confused lmao

I heard the submarine is called "Rust October"

The sub in the OP pic is a soviet Romeo type, designed before 1960. The DPRK received a handful of hulls from China and built a few dozen more with parts from China. It's early cold war tech, barely superior to the German U-Boats it was copied from. It's a loud platform that would get picked up by SOSUS or a SURTASS in a heartbeat. It's within the realm of possibility that KPN could attempt delivery of frogmen with backpack nukes or dirty bombs via submarine, but it would be a one way trip to the West coast, even if they aren't detected; Romeo doesn't carry enough fuel to make it back to Korea.
Even back in 1968 SOSUS was able to pick up the USS Scorpion's hull collapsing from thousands of miles away from any array. A combination of permanent SOSUS tripwires, SURTASS sweeps, and aerial sonobuoy monitoring will ensure any sub approaching the coast is heard, at least one the KPN has.

Confirmed non-quals

If it was actually a threat you wouldn't be reading about it on the web. We don't make it a point to broadcast our vulnerabilities for the world to see.

>bragging about quals on Sup Forums
Stop.

Beautiful get leaf. The irony is much spicier with the inadvertent picture.

>SW
>Gold
I bet your mom went to college, butterbars.

Are you people stupid? Can't use google?

- there are nuclear subs
- there are diesel-electric subs
- there are both of above that can transport nuclear missiles.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_North_Korean_ships

Norks have many subs, but no nuclear subs.

Im an active duty muhreen and I live in imperial beach, right near amphibious base coronado. Nothing is going to happen.

LAUNCH THE POLARIS
THE END DOESN'T SCARE US

>I bet your mom went to college, butterbars.
I don't even know what you're trying to say, other than the butterbars bit.

Seriously though this is not the place to be discussing your work.

Can American please slap their shit in so that fat little weasel will finally shut up?