Now that the dust has settled, how effective was the Tomahawk strike on Syria anyway...

Now that the dust has settled, how effective was the Tomahawk strike on Syria anyway? I have heard shills say that half the missiles missed, nobody was injured, and no actual damage occurred. But of course the shills don't have sources. Do you, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

express.co.uk/news/world/788988/ISIS-Islamic-State-Syria-ISIL-daesh-Donald-Trump-Syria-Missile-Strike-USA
liveleak.com/view?i=e46_1492002562
eugenewei.com/blog/2015/8/3/cocom-limits
gizmodo.com/5824905/your-gps-doesnt-work-at-mach-2-because-its-afraid-youre-a-soviet-spy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_(missile)#Navigation
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Trump, who is in no way affiliated with Russia, called Putin before the strike to let him know about it. Putin did of course not tell Assad about the strike, because they're not allies, and this was something Trump knew in advance. So everything is fine.

>how effective
RTN is way up so I'm good

Obsolete weapons that cannot deal with heavy ECM situation like in Syria.

More would have been shot down if it weren't for the non-aggression agreement between Russia and the US, which has now been torn up.

They failed as precision weapons, as a swarming device with some potentially carrying nukes, they worked THIS time they probably won't work next time.

>Russia not allied with Assad

Kek

ISIS made significant gains in Homs as a result of the strike.

proofs

also need proofs

One malfunctioned due to some kind of engine failure, the rest hit their targets.

>The missile knows where it is based on where it isn't.
>The missile knows where it isn't based on where it was.
>However the missile does not know where it will be, only where it isn't.

proofs?

>compares stored image with infrared image of target

The fuck? You need previous footage? lool.

Originally their guidance system was based off maps. Basically, the US used spy satellites and spy airplanes to make radar maps of everywhere on Earth. These maps were then stored electronically on ships, and would be loaded into the weapon's guidance computer before a mission depending on which maps were important. Then the missile would launch and use its own radar system to take images of where it was, and compare that to the maps loaded in the computer. In this way, very sophisticated flight plans could be created and followed with a relatively high degree of precision.

Of course, that was before GPS, which turned out to be so much simpler and more precise that the old guidance system was abandoned.

There are standard IR profiles stored. So the missile won't confuse, say, a tank with a house. But really what it's for is not getting confused and defeated by IR flares that are commonly used for missile defense.

express.co.uk/news/world/788988/ISIS-Islamic-State-Syria-ISIL-daesh-Donald-Trump-Syria-Missile-Strike-USA

Nvm. Ofc it makes sense. It adds redundancy. Also they might be susceptible to jamming which would make the GPS useless.

I think I read that gps doesn't work over a certain speed so it can't be used for missile guidance.
Any idea?

Yes goy 5 independent guidance systems failed to precisely deliver the missiles to their target.

Your source:
>It is believed the ISIS assault has not yet made any territorial gains

That has to do with the receivers. Civilian GPS transceivers are required to be manufactured with a special circuit that will burn out the unit about 600 miles per hour, or roughly how fast jet liners travel. That is because the government was worried about technology proliferation becoming weapon development. It was deemed by the military that there could be no legitimate civilian use of a GPS going faster than that, and when President Clinton opened GPS for the public to use (it was originally a military project, remember) that was part of the stipulations.

But military GPS units can of course travel a lot faster than that.

Cool. Cheers for the info.
Does the circuit literally burn out or would it be ok when you slowed down if a civilian device reached the speed?

No, it burns out. The unit is physically destroyed, or "bricked," when it's triggered.

Microwaves travel at the speed of light.

the guidance was based on inertial navigation. with the maps being used for mid trajectory updates. inertial navigation is shit for accuracy and poorly suited to slow, long range weapons. although it is one of the few (only?) guidance systems that is jam proof. which is why icbm's use it, with star map updates. the end of the world will literally be guided by the stars (also jam proof).

liveleak.com/view?i=e46_1492002562

See for yourself

tercom is not ins.

>microwaves
think you mean radiowaves bud

Anyway, I got the limits wrong from memory. It seems it's 1,200 mph, and 60,000 ft maximum.

eugenewei.com/blog/2015/8/3/cocom-limits
gizmodo.com/5824905/your-gps-doesnt-work-at-mach-2-because-its-afraid-youre-a-soviet-spy

Microwaves are radio waves. Doesn't matter, they all travel at light speed.

>liveleak.com/view?i=e46_1492002562
Red propaganda.
>uuuh I had better pretend I was wounded... lemme put a bandaid on my face.
I wouldn't believe the first thing of that "report."

no, it's used to update ins.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_(missile)#Navigation

Kek. Why would they do that? Why not stop making missiles with ins instead of using a better technology to update a shittier one?

Your source doesn't say that.

But it does.

>a better technology
well, that's the problem. you can't laser guide a cruise missile and gps is very vulnerable to jamming.

it literally doesn't

>Based on comparison results the missile's inertial navigation system is updated and the missile corrects its course.

tercom is more accurate than ins. Why keep ins?

Am I making some semantic mistake?

Most modern intercontinental ballistic missiles use star trackers to figure out where they are and where they are pointing

You can't shoot down what you can't see -- they're under radar horizon right up until they're on you.

SA-11/17 at the perimeter of the airbanse can shoot down 4 at most per system.

60+ inbound is just too many.

I don't see why ballistic missiles wouldn't be better.
They can't be jammed, for one.

Mattis stated in presser yesturday that 57 of 59 missles hit intended targets.

>star trackers
like how maoris used to navigate the south pacific on their sea faring canoes?

>Tomahawk

I notice our Indians or at least the white progressives who volunteer themselves as their spokeman do not say anything about us naming our military arsenal after them.