Amtrak

So now the left will cry about how this is the most useful government funded rail project ever. Trump killing jobs ect.

Lets talk the numbers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eMShSBSSYDI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher-speed_rail
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>2017
>not ubering across the country
get fucked poorfags

It would cost me $173 for a one way ticket from LA to Chicago and it would take 43 hours! Who uses this?

people terrified of flying that dont have a car probably

And poor people. And I mean fuckin poor. Like, using garbage bags as luggage poor.

But it isn't cheaper than flying. At least not cross country.

Damn, now how will people catch TB?

Illegal immigrant school children of course.

I thought the garbage bag luggage crowd rode on Greyhound. I think the train is too upscale for them.

This is what I dont get. I would love to use the train, but the cost makes no sense. It is economically unfeasible in every sense. More money and more time, wtf. It would be fine if it were dirt cheap.

You know that there are like 20 stops between those cities right? Nobody goes from point A to Z, but A to D, M to T, etc

Trains are a little more upscale. You can buy food on them. You can also buy liquor. But since it's not a plane, people stay drunk all day.

People who need to smuggle drugs/guns and don't have a car and don't want to deal with the TSA.

AMTRAK runs on freight car lines and will always be shitty unless we build brand new high-speed rail cross-country. I think AMTRAK has a place as commuter rail or coastal inter-city service but anything outside of that? Planes (Or even just fucking driving) wins every time.

Fuck off Sup Forums, trains are comfy. We just need high speed rails.

>Trump may
>may

hysterial yet again.

The bus is still cheaper and faster

Oh fuck off and move to Japan. The economics of it don't work. I'm convinced /pol is not fiscally conservative.

public transportation is just a massive welfare scheme to give otherwise unemployable blacks high paying jobs

Ehhhhh tfw you actually sometimes use some of those routes. I can still easily drive or fly, but that was very convenient.

im terrified of flying. i once took a metra from DC to Chicago. It took so fucking long and was so unpleasant I ended up flying for my return trip. Took not even 2 hrs. Definitely worth just white knuckling it.

No fuck you. this country is too large to make high speed rails useful. it will always be much more efficient and cheaper to fly.
now public transport planes is an idea that might be cool but not likely.

I wish America's rail system was as extensive as Europe's. We probably wouldn't need as many pipelines if companies had easy access to trains.

>useful
Amtrak has been hundreds of millions over budget every year

>The economics of it don't work.

Eh, here they're shit, outside of maybe a Washington-Boston (and thus -New York, -Philadelphia, -Bodymore, etc.) line, which could probably work.

The value of HSR is in areas with a high concentration of dense urban areas - Japan, parts of Western Europe and Coastal China, and so forth.

>using amtrak

>not jewing uber with the free ride exploit to go around america for free of charge

>Amtrak

youtube.com/watch?v=eMShSBSSYDI

oh you mean the shit service that refuses to stop for passengers?

fuck off.

people should have a button at every station that brings a wall up on the track to force the train to stop

Why are you so afraid of flying? its usually scary the first time you do it but after that it shouldn't be a problem.

Good.

Only niggers use Amtrack.

All of those routes are not profitable and only work because of Govt subsidies. Still, I think they should remain open because they're the only way lots of people in rural areas can move around

>We probably wouldn't need as many pipelines if companies had easy access to trains.
Die in a fire. Pipelines are way safer.

Except China has a efficient and effective rail system that will take you anywhere within the country for under 100 bucks.

I'm not

This. If it was cheaper, I would consider it.

But it isn't. And really isn't if you figure you have to take a lot more time off work for travel.

doubt
Why are you so against flying?

Why should anyone stop for that? Train made the right choice.

Boston to DC is really the only passenger train line (other than local ones that go from suburbs to the cities) that should exist

are you retarded?

>jettison charity rural routes
>focus on profitable Northeast routes
Sounds good to me. Get fucked Midwest.

t. Northeasterner

i rode like 2500 miles last time i was in the states with uber all for 0$ you should all jew them till bankrupcy

Whats the point of a train thats only useful to poor rural people if it doesn't help poor rural people get around.

Public transportation is shit because you have to ride with niggers.

How? And what about the driver?

How about you talk numbers in your OP, CTR.
sage and hidden and your mother will die tonight regardless what you do.

To keep them from coming where I live.

IT ISNT FAIR

ALL STOPS SHOULD BE STOPPED AT

train drivers who skip stops are lazy fatasses. like all americans.

here in the UK you can push a button at the station that brings down a gate and forces trhe train to stop so you can get on even if its not sceduled

Can someone explain this meme?

driver still gets paid

For most of the US, I don't think Shinkansen is the answer.

Just something that marches at 100mph with minimal interference from freight and level crossings... and luddite townships demanding trains crawl at a snail's pace. With decent connectivity at the ends of the trip this would give car rides and short-distance flights a run for the money.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher-speed_rail

I worked with a guy that took a train from Ottawa to Miami because his wife was afraid of flying. Sounds shitty

This. It will never happen because it would require tens of billions in right of ways unfortunately.

We transport 8 times as much cargo by train than Europe.

Europe's rail freight is hintered by a multitude of signaling systems, electical systems and a couple of rail gauges.

You can run a train from Narvik to Naples, but it'll have to switch locomotives a couple of times.

ERTMS will mitigate this, around the heat death of the universe.

>under 100 bucks
thats like saying you can go anywhere is US for under 500 bucks you dingaling.

plains are replacing public travel because people dont have time to spend days on a trip to get from one side of the country to another. buses/uber best for close distance, trains are cheaper (and could be faster without baggage claim/tsa/weather conditions) for medium disance, plains are alittle more expensive but much faster for long distance. in most of the US outside of large cities people have their own vehicles to go short and medium distances; and usually fly for longer distance.

Hmm.

Same day NYC to Philadelphia:

Plane: $400
Train: $100
Bus: $20

Guys please don't get rid of my Amtrak, I like riding their trains, especially in spring and winter. All that nature.

This shit is 50 yards from my front door. Kill it, I want some sleep.

Isnt the train sector in America on of the most wasteful in the world due to the time and cost? It makes sense for someone like Ireland but America is a lot bigger