>>121300395

It isn't merely the representation of female bodies that is at issue: it's the sheer lack of women in the dance music industry. On festival stages, in club lineups, in positions of power as defined by influence over what people listen to and how much money can be made, women are in the extreme minority. Other than providing some publications occasional opportunities to publish inoffensive lists of "must-hear" female DJs "you need to know," this gender imbalance does nothing positive for the culture.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NtTWnUgnq-Q
youtube.com/watch?v=ZGmUaY8T6Fw
youtube.com/watch?v=FM12fFQm3OE&t=0s
youtube.com/watch?v=aRW0ISEOD3Q
youtube.com/watch?v=_STJXa7-DS4
buzzfeed.com/daves4/stop-the-madness?utm_term=.xg9Gl364z#.xfvNK7g25
youtube.com/watch?v=0idGpzcZhUc
verkkopalvelu.vrk.fi/nimipalvelu/default.asp?L=1
youtu.be/YdQhxztj8Cc
youtube.com/watch?v=0n_bMza0Bms
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE8FF73E700E21F24
youtube.com/watch?v=A0BEe86lKyI
youtube.com/watch?v=TRhrF9Fo2Es
youtube.com/watch?v=IcWy6t86wR4
youtube.com/watch?v=eSQ1sQJaOAA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I actually listened to some edm for the first time the other day. My gf was listening to it in the car

It's basically just new wave pop. I don't know why they made up a whole new name for an old genre of music

I don't know who the artist was or what the song was called but it wasn't half bad. Definitely beats the rap these gen z wiggers love to listen to

>Further, the fact that brown and black women are seen as objects fit for consumption of straight white male gaze, and with rare exception, not suitable for a spot behind the decks on a festival main stage is problematic and indicative of the huge gap between mainstream dance music's ethos of acceptance and its new reality of exclusivity.

It's electronic music. If I'm listening to house or techno, the gender of the dj literally does not matter. I remember Mixmag tried to push some bullshit 'women in dance music' meme.

>new wave pop

Said this exact shit to an EDM head a little while back and he got FUCKING PISSED.

> >Of the 24 DJ headliners at Ultra this coming weekend, none are women. Only five would likely identify as people of color. None are openly gay. If they were alive today, what would Larry Levan and Frankie Knuckles have to say about the co-opting of their music and their counter-culture by a demographic that already runs the world?

Depends what you say as edm. EDM is usually just generic term all that Calvin Harris etc. stuff what they play on radio.

Not this trance for example: youtube.com/watch?v=NtTWnUgnq-Q

That's exactly what the music sounded like to me. I would know what it sounds like too, I have like a gig of 80's pop on my HDD.

how old is he? He's probably never even listened to music pre 1995

You're only listening to the pop heavy section of EDM. That's the only stuff that'll fly on the radio, and yes, it sounds just like regular pop.

This, electronic music is much more and you could call this EDM it's own genre.

There is trance, techno, house etc. and sub genres of those.

For example you won't hear this on generic radio station: youtube.com/watch?v=ZGmUaY8T6Fw

>Rap Doesn’t Have a Women Problem, It Has a Straight Black Guy Problem
FUCK OFF

WE WUZ DJS N SHEEEIT WE DROP DEM BEATS YEAH WE MADE DEM ROCK MUSIC AND RAP MUSIC DIS SECRET MUSIC FROM EGYPT MAN ONLY BLACKS GOT TALENTS

BEETHOVEN WAS BLACK MAN FROM AFRICA

MOZART WAS BLACK SLAVE BUT THEY FOUND HE HAS MUSICAL TALENT THEY WON'T TEACH YA DIS IN SCHOOL WHITE FOOLS

kek

Is EDM, dare I say it.....
..../our music/?

That's edm bro

So, when is Vice going to bother covering the huge female EDM scene in the Middle East? No joke, there's a ton of female DJ's with a lot of real talent and yet you'll never know if you only follow "mainstream" EDM coverage. The same goes for Europe, too. There's no gender or race issue, it's a problem of refusing to cover female DJs.

EDM isn't a genre.
It's an umbrella like calling any and all derivitive of blues-country-rockabilly as Rock music.

The best females are the ones nobody knows about.

Doesn't matter what for.

youtube.com/watch?v=FM12fFQm3OE&t=0s

Speaking of edm, check this out!
Shadilay!

There's a new Chrome add on from the Asian HWNDU dude.

youtube.com/watch?v=aRW0ISEOD3Q

>Makes this anti white propaganda more fun...

Google "UncleChangNYC" he's got some other extensions that are pretty funny.

All expression is programming.

youtube.com/watch?v=_STJXa7-DS4

>EDM
>straight
hmmm.

The main reason why so many of the original (black male) Chicago and Detroit artists are so revered is because the music took off so much in Europe during the 80s up until now. Criticising the fact that an overwhelming amount of the people who took influence from the music are European males is beyond stupid. Besides, everyone knows women have little real interest in music other than bragging about being groupies or being a vocalist if they do get involved in music.

buzzfeed.com/daves4/stop-the-madness?utm_term=.xg9Gl364z#.xfvNK7g25

> 6. "Liisa: fuck, marry, kill: Present-day Macklemore, "Thrift Shop"-era Macklemore, and the drummer from Mumford & Sons."

Hey what the fuck is wrong with this? This is really common name in Finland, fucking American scum racists.

Dj Baby Anne spun this record in Vegas.
youtube.com/watch?v=0idGpzcZhUc

Back when techno was about techno and not a popularity contest.

verkkopalvelu.vrk.fi/nimipalvelu/default.asp?L=1

Liisa is 8th most common female name in Finland.

>they begin by saying lgbt poc created the edm scene and not white males
AHAHAHHAAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA
This is what happens when skrillex loving losers get a little bit older and start thinking they're the "oldfags" of EDM. These liberals have alzheimers or something

B complex is a tranny faggot so at least DnB is safe from the opression olympics. Thanks based tranny

youtu.be/YdQhxztj8Cc

This is one of my favorite DJ Rap songs. She's got a vagina, too, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=0n_bMza0Bms

i used to listen to A LOT of trance... 1mix radio, frisky, 1.fm etc...

but pop music used to be acoustic and it's taken on trance/techno styles.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE8FF73E700E21F24

pop actually copied trance/techno

>B complex
>tranny faggot
Holy shit he is? All t his time I have listen to his music and now this.

with Jews you loose!

Damn, didn't know

When are people going to realise that 'pointing out' (ie providing) a problem in a hobby or subculture where everyone was fucking fine already, and then offering the only solution is a classic shyster gambit.

What makes this particular flavor so evil is that it deliberately preys on peoples empathy and desire to be an empathic being.

One of the most solid realizations i have come to in recent years is that empathy really is a finite resource, and empathy vampire are fucking *everywhere*. So you have to dig deep within yourself an be judicious with it, for everyones sake.

MFW listening to older trance sounds from the 90s.

why don't women make music anyway?

Maybe the actual problem is that those quotas aren't being filled because those genetic tags aren't interested in that kind of job.

why are there always so many fucking chinks at these events?

How do we get them to only focus on this and leave the rest of the world alone?

>Further, the fact that brown and black women are seen as objects fit for consumption of straight white male gaze

straight white male gaze

you can't make this shit up

>EDM

Fucking Americans ruining house and techno for the whole world. And don't mention Detroit.

Try not to use the D word on Sup Forums it triggers the political DJ.

How do you go from interviewing Russian billionaires, the Yakuza, cannibal warlords in the jungle, a country where you kidnap your bridge and the battle of Aleppo to this?

What the fuck happened to Vice?

For every 9 dudes there is one chick and usually she sucks because she makes chick music.

>edm
literally what

>(((culture)))

/thread

AYO HOL UP
*rapes a white woman*
U BE SAYINZZZ
*muh dik muh dik bich luk at muh dik*
DEM WHITE BOI BE
*has 7 children with 7 different fathers*
SECKIST N SHIEET?
*pimps 8 year old white girl*
DAAAAAAAAAAMNNNN

it's always white males fault

>gays and people of color created EDM
funny, something tells me Tiesto, Armin van Buuren, and all the other Europeans that actually created the scene disagree

>not listening to classical

At least try listening to film scores, Sup Forums.

youtube.com/watch?v=A0BEe86lKyI

youtube.com/watch?v=TRhrF9Fo2Es

youtube.com/watch?v=IcWy6t86wR4

youtube.com/watch?v=eSQ1sQJaOAA

Fuck off there's plenty of decent female dj's the fact is most women who are interested in the culture would rather being in the crowd getting grinded on while rolling there asses off