What is the point of having fire departments anymore? When was the last time you saw a fire...

What is the point of having fire departments anymore? When was the last time you saw a fire? Yet there's one in every single town in the country, wasting YOUR tax dollars. Are firefighters just glorified welfare queens?

Other urls found in this thread:

theweathernetwork.com/us/news/articles/florida-brush-fire-wildfire-state-of-emergency-photos-video/81322
youtu.be/3mJGjM6hvGk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Agreed. Most firemen are conservatives but completely depend on the government for their living. But their job is absolutely necessary.

idk but most firefighters are faggots with their heads stuck up their asses following the same "thank me for my service" bullshit the military does

i'm not thanking anyone for their conscious decision

>i live in an isolated pocket and assume everywhere else is like these conditions

Volunteer Firefighter here. AMA, if you want

Hey faggot, fires happening in Florida.
Go fuck yourself.

I've lived in Florida my entire life, I've never seen one

Firemen saved my life when I got hit by a car.

Saved my wife's life when she has a serious reaction to a bee sting.

Average two serious house fires per month in my city. Last year we had eight fire fatalities in five different fires.

90% of their entails not fighting fires

When was the last time the fire brigade managed to actually save a building from a fire?

These welfare queens lounge around playing PlayStation that your taxes paid for and then fail to do their job properly when the monthly fire breaks out.

Let it be a volunteer thing.

>Saved my wife's life when she has a serious reaction to a bee sting.
Lol did they pass her around while they were at it? What kind of cuck needs other men to save his wife's life?

>when was the last time you saw a fire

Are you shitting me? There's one in the news almost every week. Also they rescue people in car crashes and shit.

Of course we need a fire department. Although I suppose it becomes rather useless when we stop maintaining the roads.

>Most firemen are conservatives but completely depend on the government for their living
Fucking city faggot. Us rural and suburban retards figured out a way to fund volunteer fire departments through charity

Why firefox?

I like firefox. I've been using it for quite few years, just got used to it, I guess.

theweathernetwork.com/us/news/articles/florida-brush-fire-wildfire-state-of-emergency-photos-video/81322

Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Are a city man?
Or rural/suburban retard?

I always bring this up when I want to trigger someone because everyone blindly accepts every town regardless of size has to have one and that it's some indespensible service.

Fire departments are a relatively modern invention, it use to be all volunteer, back in an age when fire was an exponentially greater threat than it is now.

I don't know for sure but I think modern fire engines cost over a million dollars. Firefighters do virtually nothing compared to what it costs to employ, train, and operate them. Possibly the most overrated job in the US.

Fire causes $7 billion in damages a year, there are are 350k paid firefighters, if they all got paid a mundane $50k/year that comes out to $17.5 billion, and that's before counting benefits, equipment, stations, and higher-ups, which is going to dwarf that number. Only 2.5k die from fire in any form a year, and the vast majority of that is something a fire department could never prevent.

Yes, I understand fire departments don't just fight fires, but that's their main job. It's an absolute waste of money.

Fairly small town. About 1000 in the town, but we are on the outskirts of a much larger town, so we get a good variety of calls, from grass fires to car accidents to everything in between. I would estimate about 5000 people in our district.

No dork, she was at her job. Her throat swelled shut, and they saved her with epi-pens.

Go back to high school.

>be amerishart
>spend billions funding then bombing towelheads
>spend billions on a police force that will shoot you and your dog if you aren't licking their boots
>firefighters are the bigger problem

Firemen are lazy leeches. It's the only job in the world that pays you to sleep in a bed and wait for something improbable to happen. I see robotics everywhere, why cant we just have robotic fire trucks?

Do your coworkers know you go on pol?

>fighting fires in one and two story buildings and nonindustrial zones

wow it's fucking nothing

wildlands firefighters are the only ones out there that have an actually difficult job to do

are you seriously fucking serious?

Crime costs exponentially more dollars every year than fires, though. There would probably be more crimes if there were no police. Feuds would erupt between families and neighborhoods and tribalism would emerge if there wasn't a *mostly* impartial justice system to decide guilt.

firemen are also paramedics, can give lots of medication, life-saving procedures etc.

physically 'fighting fires' is only a small part of their job.

Ok, let's say we do what you want and disband all fire departments in the US. Now there's a major forest fire that starts spreading in California and likewise in Tennessee. What would your solution to that issue be?

i hope you get into a car crash and the car get's so twisted you cant get out and somehow the firefighters never show up with their hydraulic priers to get you out and you bleed to death, you ancap filth.

on a serious note, putting out petty fires in houses is not the only thing they do, and not having contingency measures because you have to pay for them is retarded beyond measure.

No sir. Firefighters are fairly redpilled, however. Not natsoc, but surprisingly close. We believe in authority, we have a semi-military structure, and we believe in sacrifice for a higher cause. It's not a major leap.

I'm not saying it all has to be cut but it should be reduced drastically.

I understand that but secondary job descriptions doesn't justify having the main job in the first place

You're retarded, the vast majority of firefighters are volunteer. And why don't u see fires? Because the fire departments are effective dumbass, and houses aren't made of match sticks anymore.

Do you know any real firemen?

>be amerishart
>without a brutal totalitarian police force your entire country would devolve into africa tier violence

Lmao'ing at ur cuntry senpai

Hahaha I get that you're trying to bantz me, but we do train with the career guys occasionally. There's really very little cultural difference between us, it's just that I don't get paid for what I do.

Fuck off ya petrol sniffing abo cunt.

>be Australian
>house burns down along with half the state
>firefighters sprinkle water on the smouldering remains

How else do you think multiculturalism works?

>be in fire
>saved by firemen

I don't care how much money they cost, I'll happily pay it all to not burn to death.

Burning fucking sucks, anons.

Firefighters are usually borderline retarded. They mostly go to car wrecks now but the fire department usually handles EMS. EMS has become their primary service. I think we should focus on EMS and let paramedics that want to fight fires fight fires, which would be the opposite of what we have now where firefighting is the primary job and paramedic is the collateral job a lot of them don't want to do.

I wouldn't go to a volunteer accountant to do my taxes or volunteer roofer to do my roof. Would you trust a volunteer cop to protect your city?
Just saying dude, volunteer FDs are one of the biggest government scam there is. They get you to work for them for nothing. Blacks did that back in the 19th century as well.

Fire is the least of your concern when a bug can kill you at any time.

>Fire causes $7 billion in damages a year,

How much damage would fires cause if there weren't any firefighters to put them out?

Thats why firemen are also first response to car accidents, work accidents and many medical emergencies.

They dont just fight fires.

>be californian
>fires so often that we call summer "fire season"
>no one cares about fires regardless of size
>people still commute in traffic even if there is a nearby inferno
>tfw other states freak out whenever there is a small forest fire

No, it's because safer codes have drastically reduced fires. Car fires are a fraction and building fires are more than half less than they were a generation ago(with a large population growth on top of it), but paid firefighters have increased by over 50%.

Just because something may happen doesn't mean there needs to be an expensive contingency plan for it.

I may fall and hit my head on the toilet and die taking a shit drunk. That doesn't mean I should go buy a $300 football helmet when I go dookie.

I could get nuked or hit by a tornado even though I live in an area where neither are likely. Doesn't mean I should buy a 10k bunker.

I respect firemen and truly hope I never meet them.

I am a volunteer firefighter in a suburban town. Around 60% of our calls are EMS (Emergency Medical Services). Of that remaining 30%, 15% are false alarms (seems like a lot more), 10% are MVAs, and the remaining 5% are fire related. That 5% is usually very serious stuff such as CO or actual fires. While much of the materials used in building today are fire resistant, when they catch they burn through really fast. This combined with all the chemicals now used today make fighting actual fires more dangerous than it has been in the past. So in short we are still very active, ambulance crews don't have the equipment or training to do an auto extraction, police can't fight fires, and as population increases, so will the amount of alarms. There are still some departments that don't do EMS, although this won't be for long. If you have any questions feel free to ask, although google can probably answer all of them

Never call 911, it's for communist swine. Instead, burn to death or bleed out like a man.

I understand your point, man. But what are we supposed to do? My town doesn't have enough money to pay for a career department. It's getting harder, too. Call volume is up, the state requires more training and continuing ed hours out of us, and we're horribly short of personnel during the mornings and early afternoons. I wish there was a better solution, I really do, I just don't know what that is that would be affordable at all.

I do paid on call firefighting for a fairly small town (about 12k). Get 16/hr which works out to be basically nothing. The training, life experience, and connections makes it worth it imo.

Got a good city job that pays 35/hr (as a 22 year old) because the interviewer was a paid on call at a different hall and thats all we talked about in the interview.

I would recomend it bros

Well according to numbers they would have to prevent something like probably 75%-95% of all fire related damages before it paid itself off, which is simply impossible.

I understand they prevent injury and some deaths, but at some point you have to put a financial number on it. You can't just say the value of a human life is priceless. Otherwise you can't argue any safety preventative measure no matter how outrageous the cost.

Yes goyim, every town should have goyim volunteer firefighters so we may get a tax cut and buy more caviar.

EMS should be the focus then, not fighting fires. It should be an ambulance company that can fight fires instead of a fire department that doesn't fight fires but runs EMS.

>hes never seen an aussie summer

This breakdown (call volume wise) is fairly accurate. Structure fires are fairly rare, but they're much faster and more deadly than they used to be. I was on a fatal house fire a few months back myself. Grass fires are pretty common where I live, though, and in my opinion, they're way more dangerous and scary than a structure. Less predictable, much faster moving, and we usually are way more disorganized and spread out on a grass fire.

We do both, fire is our focus because of the amount of equipment, personnel, and training needed to safely fight a fire. We have contracts with the local ambulance company so we often work with them. In the end, we do both but which is more dangerous?

You understand the shit isn't free right? I can't think of one instance in my life where a fire department would have saved anything from me or anyone I know.

Meanwhile between me and the people I know enough to qualify in that circumstance maybe millions in taxes have went into it.

>Just because something may happen doesn't mean there needs to be an expensive contingency plan for it.

Your right we should disband all fire brigades and reform them every time a major catastrophe occurs.

>implying fire fighter just fight house fire's.

They also
-respond to MVA's
-assist EMT's in conducting emergency first aid and casualty management
-respond to hazmat situations
-perform marine, urban and rural search and rescue
-fight bush fires

You still have salaried firefighters that have to stay at the station at all times, on a rotating basis. Salaried are more reliable because they HAVE to be on call.
t. suburban guy

It's a different set of circumstances and making a comparison between the two Is difficult. It's similar to soldiers trained in urban combat compared to shock.

Don't see many grass fires in my area, although dumpster fires are pretty common. Have not seen a car fire in a long time.

If 60% of your calls are medical and 5% are fire then you're pretending to be a firefighter when you're an EMT. Firefighter should just be a collateral duty.

Not in Australia. Rural and semi rural areas are almost entirely volunteer based relying on there being enough members in local to area to stop what they're doing and respond.

All I see in this thread are people justifying the job by saying they do other things.

Just because I think something is overvalued doesn't mean I think it should all be scrapped.

>assist emt
So they are in a secondary role getting paid more than the person doing the primary job
>hazmat, s&r, grass fires
meme shit that doesn't justify the amount of money poured into it

If a community has the capacity to buy a firetruck, then they have salaried firefighters. Don't be dumb.

If all we did was fire, we would still need the trucks, the hose lines, the power tools, the air packs, thermal imagers, drywall hooks, turnout gear, etc. And that is just the tip of the iceberg. What is the point of this thread? All this is necessary for when we have an actual fire

Every duty there is a firecall.

The op kind of makes it an all or nothing debate with his post. I'm not saying that. I'm saying the volume is overkill for the threat fire plays today.

The Fire Department doesn't strictly respond to fires. They respond for medical reasons as well.

They are absolutely necessary and are second on scene as shootings, stabbings, and chaos to clean up the mess.

You are forgetting about retards setting fires.

youtu.be/3mJGjM6hvGk

Libertarians are human scum.

At least commies stand for something.

Drove by a villa completely engulfed in flames Wednesday. A woman died. The smoke divers got into the second floor of the burning wooden building and retrieved her corpse before it burnt up.

city ff here we run arou d 90% ems calls about 12 calls per 24 hr shift

Local fire departments have yearly festivals and do boot drives or run bingo out of the station. Like I said charity buys those trucks.

OP is clearly retarded but he does have a point: If 99% of emergency fire service calls are not fire related, why do they have to drive those YUGE fucking fire trucks there? I was watching a White House conference where there were talking about overhauling air traffic navigation systems to save fuel by having more direct flight paths, so along the same lines it makes sense for fire departments to use smaller utility trucks and hold the 5 ton fire engines for when there is an actual fire.

Most city funded do this as far as where I live. The small city near me has those responses with SUVs for the paramedic calls.

Whatever, sounds dumb to rely on volunteers to work expensive equipment.

Our trucks cost about 250k and are expected to last close to 20 years.

fuck it, im taking the b8

>When was the last time you saw a fire?

are you retared? fires always will be a thing, no only that, firefighter also rescue people trapped in car accidents, Collapsed houses, etc

i assume that you are a fat american piece of shit that only watch sports and never watch any piece of news

What are you implying? That volunteers don't receive any training or that they're to stupid to drive a truck or operate fairly basic machinery?

You guys should really save money and have volunteer cops, nurses, and doctors.

>When was the last time you saw a fire

They respond to more than just fires you mong, have you ever listened to a scanner in any populated area?

How many runs a year?

>When was the last time you saw a fire?
As far as fires I heard about they have to be at least 4 or 3 each year

We have volunteer nurses numb nuts.

>Small towns have fire departments that do it all
>Large cities have fire departments that have US&R, Tower Ladders, Hazmat, Bomb Squad, Wreckers, Tankers, Airport, Air Rescue, Fire Boats, EMS, Electrical, and so on
Depends on how big the city is. Large fire departments have a unit for just about any type of emergency that could arise. Small towns have fire departments that consist of maybe 5 units.

I never thought I'd see the day where Sup Forums would unironically sink low enough to go after firefighters and yet here we are. Worst board with the worst people.

All the flame retardants are turning us gay.

>the amount of people in this thread who agree with op

> when was the last time you saw a fire

Um, actually about an hour ago right outside my front door.

Neighbor across the street apparently had an electrical fire of some kind, nothing serious best we could tell, but you should of seen how many fire trucks showed up (neighbor is the town treasurer).

Wow, are you fucking retarded.

>Actually attacking fire and EMS
>Forgetting the Antifa and BLM blocking responders
Nah, liberals are still the worst. Besides I think OP is pulling your chain, nobody is that stupid.

>Besides I think OP is pulling your chain, nobody is that stupid.

And yet theres 92 replies to this thread.
No, a lot of people are that stupid.
I've seen a lot of stupid shit on this board, but this is the worst in a long time.

You Kiwis must love to work for free. If you come up to the US, you could put the Mexicans out of work by being volunteer gardeners.

2 years ago one of the apartment buildings near me burnt down displacing 40 apartment dwellers. Also im ex navy and fire on a ship is the most dangerous shit ever.

This guy gets it.

>get into a minor accident
>someone is shaken up, no injuries
>911 is called
>a fire truck shows up
>police car shows up
>ambulance shows up
>enjoy paying for all that shit, faggot

Firetrucks are supplied by the state here in Australia (atleast they are in NSW and VIC)