Should we abolish cursive?

>only use it for signatures
>Most people aren't good at it
>I have trouble reading even even the decent ones due to letters and loops looking similar
>who the fuck would reply on an online board like Sup Forums in cursive?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PaB5KC8BUio
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>can we abolish cursive
t. Gen Z cuck

>I have trouble reading even even the decent ones due to letters and loops looking similar
Nigger detected.

isnt it pretty much gone anyway? we arent required to teach it anyway, and my elementary/middle school stopped teaching it after my 5th or 6th grade year or something

What's your handwriting like then?

brainlet detected

1993 user here, when I was in elementary niggers and spics couldn't read cursive or even make sense of the ye olde English side of the Shakespeare

>newfags don't know about cracker runes

I collect old postcards, 1905 era, and everyone wrote everything in cursive back then.

And some of the cursive is legit illegible. All the lines look identical. It's not just me either.

I had my friends and family, some of whom write very beautiful cursive, try to translate some of my postcards and they could only get a few of the words.

With REALLY fast cursive, I think it's only legible to people who actually know you and who recognize your style. It's illegible to anyone else.

And therein lies the problem with cursive. It's supposed to make writing faster, and indeed it does. But as you go faster and faster, it does in fact become chicken scratch.

Really finely written cursive can be beautiful, but I'm not really certain it has a point other than looking civilized.

Which might be a point unto itself! But yeah.

The reason cursive was invented was to make writing faster and smoother.

Now that we have computers that accomplish the same thing, it is literally obsolete.

>Complaining about their rights being violated but can't read the constitution due to not being able to read cursive

ROFL

I can't read cursive because it's a waste of time. I'd rather spend it learning philosophy or maths.

t. nigger who can't into cursive

>learning philosophy
Antifa detected!

>I'd rather spend it learning philosophy or maths.

This. Schools should teach txt speak and emojis instead.

I read doctor's cursive handwriting at work.
On top of that, I teach and we all learn cursive here, so I get tons and tons of different handwritings each year.

It's not hard.
You're just retarded.

Cursive is superior in every regard.

>cannot read or write cursive

So you're a nigger?

>Tfw I write everything in cursive because my print is shitty and takes much longer

>fucking cyrillic
Fuck off cave man. Guys like you are obsessed with stinks. Does it stink? Do that. Stinky vaginas. Swampy assholes. Biggest sweatiest man hammers. Unmentionable balls

tfw have horrible handwriting

These. It is easier to write cursive. Lifting your pen all the time strains the muscles in your writing hand.

me too, anything I write by hand is chickenscratch but since I've been writing in cursive not only have people not noticed how bad it is but have actually complimented me on my "neat" writing because they aren't used to seeing it

I write only in cursive.What are you some pleb??

Translation: "I'm incredibly stupid and can't read".

Trust me, I do not browse /lit/.

I've been there once. Never again.

rare

>niggers cant read cursive
if they ever learn how to read we need a back up language

The medical field has already abandoned it. Hospitalists aren't allowed to write orders in it. It's a lost art form. It'll come back around again when there is a nostalgia for it.

the purpose of cursive was to make writing easier with the prevailing technology of the time (the round-nib dip pen). prior to this new technology, traditional hands based on discrete strokes, like insular and blackletter, were the norm. the round-nib pen made it easier for people to write faster, and cursive developed as traditional lettering was sacrificed on the altar of convenience.

with the development of the typewriter, we can now go faster AND return to the traditional letterforms. whether it is because you want to embrace new technology or because you want to use traditional letter shapes, it's clear that you kill cursive to achieve it.

ey cracka wat dis raycis ass pic say uhh?

>wanting to abolish cursive
niggers detected

>It'll come back around again when there is a nostalgia for it.
It will come back again when some one figures out that you can write it on a tablet that then translates it to normal letters.

In America stuying philosophy really make you an antifa?

philosophy is inherently leftist

brainlet detected

youtube.com/watch?v=PaB5KC8BUio

pretty gay opinion you have there

it's already phased out of use in any instance where it's not useful. I love corresponding with my ancient grandma and looking at her bible study notes, even uneducated farmer's wives like her had beautiful penmanship

might as well abolish capital letters and punctuation since all you really need to shitpost is >

Since the invention of ball point pens, cursive has been obsolete. You connect letters only because fountain pens leave blotches when you pick them up.

The best part is that you can quickly write long words by simply not writing them.
Equity -> Eq(scribble)ty
Equality -> Eq(slightly longer scribble)ty

That's terrible grammar you have there

that was called 'graffiti' when palm implemented it over a decade ago. it has been replaced by touch-screen keyboards.

I use it to write love letters to my GF.

have you never had to write an exam with an essay question before?

Richard Spencer was a philosophy grad student

>Should we abolish cursive?
No, retard. Niggers can't read cursive so it acts as our hidden written language.

it also makes the school look more progressive = objectively morally better

>it has been replaced by touch-screen keyboards.
Those are pretty limiting though. But they are simple and all the normies all ready use them so you don't have to waste time training people.

Maybe its dead forever

it's faster than writing and produces the traditional discrete letterforms, from before the convenience-obsessed development of lazy cursive.

Cursive is good for your brain. Spencerian script and calligraphy are the culmination of art meeting function in the written word in the context of western civ.

Google about it.

Anyone who thinks cursive is obsolete or useless is a Marxist faggot.

>PBUH

>lets get rid of the hieroglyphics that nigs have thus yet to decipher

Someone post that image from a few years ago that a bunch of dindus reposted on social media, where it was in cursive and was talking shit about blacks, while they had no idea.

> you're retarded
> you've never read actual Philosophy

Choose one and only one.

nope, it's one of the greatest human creations ever. these are just insecure horseshoe cucks who think philosophy is bad because the nietzche augfrogg sloot

No we should bring it back. We need to stop dumbing down our education and start lifting the standards of society as a whole.

What does handwriting have to do with morals?

please explain to me how slanting and connecting letters of the alphabet in a stylish manner is a sign of prosperity and intelligence

dumbest shit i read all day

Philosophy in the USA must be a strange creature.

My professor in our classes teach nothing but Kant and Hegel.
And he once told us that when he was teaching in Boston student there wanted nothin but arguing over the last episode of the last tv series.

nothing

did I state otherwise?

read the fucking text maybe

>emojis

They might as well teach chinese if they're so keen on discarding spelling words in favor of pictographs.

My parents both write in cursive. I don't know when it died but it was fairly recently.

>tfw people actually shared it

calligraphy includes insular and blackletter, not just italic.

cursive is literally a lazier, newer form of writing tied to one specific piece of technology, the round-nib dip pen. there's a reason it entered its decline upon the mass production of fountain pens with modern rhodium nibs and died completely with the universal adoption of ball pens — writing is meant to be read, and it's easier to read discrete letters.

try pondering this issue in some way other than thoughtlessly reaching for the next older thing that's one step backward from what you know. traditional european lettering is not connected (and it's usually unicase, to boot!).

>should we ban cursive????
Nigger detected.

I only write in cursive just to make sure you retards can't read what I write.

Also
>Ban cursive
>Use Cyrillic cursive which no one can understand as example
OP = Faggot

Cursive is faster to write with and looks better. This shit was taught in 2nd grade man, cmon.

How are people so stupid they can't read cursive? You literally have to have an iq of less than 20 to not be able to read/write cursive.

Also, Ops picture is Russian cursive

OP is right. Cursive sucks.

Christ you're a pretentious fuckwit of a Eurofag.

>I'm too much of an autist to understand handwriting, so we should abolish it
kys faggot.

>he can't read cursive
>he can't write cursive
Dumb nigger

Eexcpt taht we dnot raed ltetres, we raed wrods. Taht is why you can sitll unedsrtnad tihs.

Do american schools teach cursive?

I'm not even that old, and I remember having to take caligraphy classes in my public school because my writing was shit.

Everyone wrote in cursive.

Exactly.

yuor a gniagitc fgagot

I've not written anything in cursive for years and just tonight I tried again. 10 minutes after a few aborted attempts it just started flowing again.
>mfw

Plus if you ever try to trace your ancestry back through records you're going to need next level cursive translation skills, so you may as well keep your hand in.

> pretentious
> Eurofag

And also pretty proud of it.

word-image theories of reading are largely debunked, but if you're so stupid and lazy that you're advocating cursive in earnest either from the perspective of legibility or of tradition (neither of which justifies it), there's pretty much no point in continuing to discuss this with you. you're so outclassed that you don't even realize it.

Better than mine. It's been well over a decade since I've needed to write cursive, so I'm just straight forgotten it.

My grandma was going to teach me calligraphy, but she got cancer and died instead.

Cuneiform went out of style because we don't write on clay anymore.

Runes went out of style because we don't write on wood anymore.

Cursive went out of style because we don't write on paper anymore.

Times change, deal with it

Anyone can if they squint, it just looks like shit

I was born in '91 and they taught us cursive (and made us exclusively use it from like 3rd-6th grade). My girlfriend (born in '95), never learned to read/write cursive.

I've seen more readable ones, but this one is alright, besides the way you wrote "huge", took me a couple of seconds to understand what it says.

to be honest though, English is not my native language nor did anyone teach me how to read or write cursive, everything is based upon seeing how other write it.

>I am too stupid to read cursive, therefore it is stupid to use it

Schools stopped teaching cursive so that future generations will not be able to read our founding documents. dumb anons being dumb without knowing you're being dumb.

How is America's average IQ anywhere above 80? Even the "white" people here are retarded.

>maths

>I'd rather spend it learning philosophy or maths.

when we wrote in stone, and there was no question of compromising between legibility and speed (because it was guaranteed to be extremely slow), or of compromising between difficulty and wide adoption (because carving inscriptions was a dedicated profession), we wrote like this: roman monumental capitals.

no, i can read it. you are just literally too stupid or lazy to open a goddamn tab and look up where it came from. it's not some higher form of writing from a bygone era, it was a cheap, lazy compromise to make writing faster despite being just barely good enough to scrape by with legibility.

There is truth in this. It is literally the way Newspeak was implemented.

Literally every school kid in the UK writes in cursive and I have yet to meet an adult who grew up here who doesn't know how to read it. God you american fucks are dumb.

>ITT: dumb Americans who can't read cursive

some letters people wrote differently back then or they might have learned an entirely different cursive methodology you should find a historian or handwriting expert if you're actually curious about what any of them say, but yeah you're right a lot of them are completely illegible

Nigger

I've all the postcards my grandpa received from his family in Germany during the Hitler era. I really want to read them but I can't understand cursive fraktur for shit. It also doesn't help that they had to really compress their messages up for the lack of space.

So