Why are Americans resisting metrification?

Why are Americans resisting metrification?
I'm genuinely curious.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_time
space.stackexchange.com/a/1376
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

base 12 has genuine engineering use senpai

>Time

There are two types of countries: those that use metric, and those that have been on the moon

Bumping for genuine interest.

>yfw NASA used metric

>There are two types of countries: those that use metric, and those that have been butt fucked by Vietnamese farmers

Time is due for an overhaul, to be quite honest.

There have been attempts in the past.
In the 1990s, Swatch tried to divide the day into 1000 beats.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time

Then there's metric time, which is used in scientific contexts.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_time

second, kilosecond, megasecond, and so son

>yfw Nasa didn't start trying to convert to metric until the 90s

France and China

I, for one, embrace our metric overlords.

during the Apollo missions they used metric to get to the moon, idiot

The flight computer was programmed in metric but displayed imperial units.

1) Imperial system is of divine origin, metric is based upon the folly of (((man)))
2) Metric can't be divided by 3
3) If you TRY divide (100) metrically, by 3, you get 3.3333333333333 etc etc - the extra decimal places are written off/ignored but they have to go somewhere - so (((WHO))) gets to keep them? When we are talking about money, this means (((someone))) is skimming the extra 3's. The earliest hackers used this exploit but (((they))) have using it since they pushed metric on you.

Base 12 for engineering and civil use, metric for science. Why is the rest of the world refusing to recognize this?

JEW science.

>so (((WHO))) gets to keep them?

spat my oats

mfw you're entirely wrong

space.stackexchange.com/a/1376

SHUT IT DOWN!

You think I'm kidding? First hacking exploit I heard off (heard this in 1983) was a guy skimming anything less than one cent from every transaction a bank done in the US. He became a millionaire.

My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it!

Burma uses imperial

Asking the real questions.

I asked that same question growing up. I hated that we aren't using the same system as literally the rest of the world and wished we could change that but there are way too many people and systems in place using the same system that if we changed it over night, there would be literal chaos in our systems and the potential to error is too high.
>In other words, we'd crash and burn if changed it now. It's too late.

And the Ivory Coast.

The only 2 other countries in the world that have their shit together.

>You think I'm kidding? First hacking exploit I heard off (heard this in 1983) was a guy skimming anything less than one cent from every transaction a bank done in the US. He became a millionaire.
It's the plot of the film Superman III, released in 1983.

Stop watching Office Space.

There were two types of countries: those who didn't use RUSSIAN CUSTOMARY MEASURE SYSTEM (idiotic and inconsistent like all customary systems) and those who discovered Antarctica.

It is based upon real events (the hacking bit anyway, I am not so sure about the x-ray vision and faster-than-light travel stuff though)

>customary
It's Imperial you swine

You know what angers me? When our stupid translators never translate retarded anglo system to normal and every time I stumble upon some measures I have to look it up REEEEEEEEEEEE

there was a push for it in the in the 70's but there was no will for it so it died down.
From what I heard though, it was because the older generations would be
unaccustomed to the switch to metric if it was changed and they would need receive training to use it. Also, road signs, textbooks, and car speedometers would
need to be changed, which no one cares to do.

Because they can use both, why not

I have no idea

I worked in a machine shop for awhile and I would've much rather worked completely in Metric than have to whip out my calculator every five seconds. Metric is superior for two reasons
1) The multiples of 10 are easy to learn and use
2) Fucking everybody else uses it

>Why are Americans resisting Islamification?
>I'm generally curious.
That's literally how you guys sound to us when you ask why we're not like yurocucks.

What the fuck does metric system have to do with islam?

Nigger

All of you are resisting the true standard of base 16. Your imperial 12 and metric 10 is nothing.

Because fuck you that's why.

This. I also worked in a machine shop dping CNC. I just learned metric.

A lot of old guys get annoyed when I ask for a 19mm socket.

I still have to measure in standard to show results.

We'd have to change a Lot of other things. Our gallons of milk would have to either change size or be labeled as 3.78541 liters; a similar situation for a lot of other things. The speed limits are where the real problems kick in though. Speed limit signs will either have to read both mph and kph for a time, causing the signs to be over large and harder to quickly read, or they will have to only have kph, which is going to confuse a lot of people, especially older drivers who didn't ever learn anything with the metric system. Speedometers in cars would also need to be changed. Right now, most cars do have the kilometers per hour listed as well, but in much larger increments than it has mph, so it would be more difficult to drive at the proper kph given current speedometers.
Thus, it's just been more convenient to leave everything as is and just have our scientists/researchers use the metric system.

That's UK. The average American only knows imperial.