Best World War II Movie

Hello Sup Forums,

What are your suggestions for the best, unbiased WW2 movie or documentary? I've been meaning to watch one, but don't want to watch a biased movie that spends the whole time berating Hitler and the Nazis. I just want unbiased, factual information, with some suspense.

Thank you.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VcMk85ZsBh0
youtube.com/watch?v=TmyGPX23px4
m.youtube.com/watch?v=w1xGbEDs6-4
youtube.com/watch?v=Ye9J4nQrz5s
youtube.com/watch?v=4Kao3t0NBMU
imdb.com/title/tt4661358/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump

And please don't post Greatest Story Never Told, I already know that it is biased and full of historical inaccuracies.

Bump2

I'm leaning towards watching Downfall, is it any good?

Bump3

Bump4

Bump5

it's pretty aight and a little depressing. Check out the book The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer. It's a book about a half-French German who joins the Wehrmacht and fights on the eastern front. It is unbiased and ultimately human, devastatingly sad and very well written.

Thanks for the suggestion, however I'm looking for a film that focuses mainly the Reich and Hitler.

bump1488

okay Der Untergang is a good start and there's another one called Die Brücke the original was made in 1958 and a TV-movie remake was made in 2008 that wasn't bad but it might be hard to find, being a somewhat obscure German TV movie

he's right tho, the GSNT is biased as fuck, it doesn't present misinformation but it conveniently omits information that doesn't fit its narrative

Band of Brothers was pretty good even though they do shill the 6 bajillion once towards the end of the series. Otherwise it's very tasteful and well made.

youtube.com/watch?v=VcMk85ZsBh0

Sounds like I'll watch Der Untergang (Downfall) then.

I may check out Band of Brothers as well mate.

Can you name media that doesn't do this?

Kys

youtube.com/watch?v=TmyGPX23px4

This

movies are shit

read

There is such thing as both reading and watching movies.

Eh, not unbiased or a documentary, but The Longest Day is a great old movie about D-Day

no I can't but GSNT does it a crazy amount because, like all holocaust denial, it starts with the assertion that the holocaust never happened and then seeks obscure anecdotal evidence to support this assertion - the exact opposite of the scientific method. I acknowledge there are misconceptions and lies about the holocaust and that (((they))) use it endlessly to their advantage, and GSNT isn't bad but you gotta be smart enough to take it with a giant lump of salt

The Forgotten Soldier is absolutely horrific, the eastern front was hell on earth.
It kept me awake for days imagining the total hell he described.
Soviet tanks running over masses of Germans trapped on one side of a river because they'd already used up all their ammo.
Soldiers being buried alive by artillery, and then the complete collapse of order when they start shooting people for basically any reason.
Read at your own risk.

movies outside of numbing your brain serve.no purpose

you probably get brainwashed at best.and worst

Not everything you do has to serve a purpose, part of life is sitting back and enjoying the little things. Chill the fuck out.

Sounds like I'll have to read that too, sounds horrific.

Meant for this:

That's what I was going to recommend. Go for it.

not to mention the ridiculous and disgusting waste of life on the Soviet side. 300k casually killed in a day and they just keep coming. Europe lost its fuckin mind in that war. It's really a shame.

And the part with Paula hit hard too

I really enjoyed Enemy at the Gates. Since you've probably seen it...try Come and See, it's a good film and offers a different perspective than most. I liked the Smithsonian documentaries that were on Netflix at one point (not sure if they still are).

That was very sad, on top of getting his shit stolen.
Too bad the book doesn't end in France...
Stacking up Soviet prisoners that have died of exposure as a wind break for other soldiers is the type of nightmarish shit from this book.
I'm serious about being disturbed by this book, it's insane.

Schindlers list

In general - make an accent on german movies. Stalingrad, Das Boot and Our mothers, our fathers.

Valkyrie is a good depiction of how the command structure and the dysfunction of Ober Kommando der Whermacht led to crippling indecision.
Apart from that it's ok,
There was a BBC 4 part series recently made that was pretty good.
Something like Generation War but it's got multiple titles

kelley's heroes

Unbiased?
Primary source information as long as it's reliable and not some Jewish babble

Das Boot seems fantastic.

From wikipedia:

However, aspects such as the portrayal of the Polish anti-Nazi resistance as anti-semites, the scant depiction of Nazi Germany's objective to purge the Reich of Jews,[4] and the blurring of differences between non-German victims and German perpetrators have been deplored by others.[5][6][7]

Generation War does seem good.

Das Boot is really good.

Brilliant shit. I'm still don't get how they made open sea storm scenes, U-McCaunaghy most resent film looked as amateur models in the pound.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=w1xGbEDs6-4

Second, portrays the Germans as human, not faceless monsters like in Shaving Ryan's Privates

That's whats so contradictory, according to midst historical references made; communities voluntarily amd immediately turned in Jews to the occupying Germans, especially in the East...
Really primes the ol mental generator don't it?
Why would communities willingly out people almost immediately upon Germany's arrival?

>jews running laps naked while a nazi sniper uses them for target practice
>schindler gets a slap on the wrist for making out with an underaged jewish girl in front of others
>movie ends stating that the film was made in honor of the 6 gorillion
How unbiased and factual.

ya know what if only the germans had treated slavs better they would have been welcomed as liberators from stalinism like they were in west ukraine and they probably could have won on the eastern front if they'd been able to get enough partisan slavs on their side to turn against the soviet empire

Patton is pretty great

Try Young Lions. It s about several soldiers on all sides. The German dude is pretty cool. In the end it may disappoint you, but the ride will be what you say you wanted.

The Longest Day or A Bridge Too Far. Both were my shit when I was watching alot of WWII stuff.

The Longest Day

If you know the story and are familiar with the characters then watch it in German. Same with Das Boote. I know just enough German to be dangerous to myself.

This. Besides somewhat of a lackluster ending, Generation War is a great, high quality film.

Also, if you wanna watch a cool sniper movie with no Jewish bullshit and a sweet sex scene, watch Enemy at the Gates.

seh es einfach auf deutsch mit den untertiteln

>Enemy at the gates
>Saving Private Ryan

Is Paris Burning. Stalingrad (German with subtitles)

There is a Granada production documentary on the Spanish civil war. Very detailed and obscure. (Its on YouTube) also das boot, see if you can find the German mini series version.

Keep in mind that Enemy at the Gates is fiction.

Triumph of the Will hands down.

Leni was a master.

>seh es einfach auf deutsch mit den untertiteln
I find that distracting and often not translated well

the world at war is really good, has perspectives from all sides.

Ja! IsParis Burning is a good film

Watch the old German Stalingrad movie made in the late 50s, called Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben

Pretty good movie desu

>Saving Private Ryan
>Schindler's List

A bridge too far

Now this is shitposting

Downfall
Stalingrad
Band of Brothers (not really a movie more like a miniseries)

Everything else is jewish/commie propaganda

I remember hearing about a russian made movie about Stalingrad coming out a few years ago. Anyone seen?

STALINGRAD

Cross of Iron

Correction: Schindlers Fist

Band of Brothers is just another glorified American series. It's good but fuck me does the American Almighty narrative in war movies get old

You won't find absolute truth in anything you watch, watch at your discretion, you will find your own beliefs

youtube.com/watch?v=Ye9J4nQrz5s

Enemy at the gates is good too.

Almost forgot

Land of Mine - As World War II comes to an end, a group of German POWs, boys rather than men, are captured by the Danish army and forced to engage in a deadly task—to defuse and clear land mines from the Danish coastline. With little or no training, the boys soon discover that the war is far from over. Inspired by real events, Land of Mine exposes the untold story of one tragic moment in post-war history.

youtube.com/watch?v=4Kao3t0NBMU

True, but it is just the flipside of the mainstream Anti-Reich view of WWII, no more biased towards the Axis than most popular media are towards the Allies. It's an interesting experience.

Triumph of the Will by Leni Riefenstahl (Try to find the one where the audio is narrated/converted to english - better than English Subs.)
Focus on Hitler's speech, and "the disease of the Jews parts, very powerful film when viewed in the context of Germany at its most promising and powerful, and the strength of group thought - The way Hitler fed off the approval of his audience is what made him such a powerful speaker.

Also The Pianist was good, the first 30 minutes were very slow.

Triumph of the Will is still a masterpiece.

HELLSTORM!

>HELLSTORM
imdb.com/title/tt4661358/

Imo it's gotta be either Das Boot or Stalingrad (1993). Both fantastic movies that are in my top 5 of all time.

Stalingrad (1996)
Das Boot
Generation War

I tend to dislike western front stuff because it always ends up getting fucked up by propaganda and misinformation, and because the western front is peanuts compared to the Eastern Front

Oh yeah, I just recently watched it and I didn't expect much, but I was positively surprised. Pretty good film.

1993* my bad

also Enemy at the Gates triggers me because the fountain scene is so unrealistic. (you would definitely hear and feel people getting shot right next to you, regardless of background noise)

>full of historical inaccuracies
Can you name a single one?

Also, Das Boot. Der Untergang. Valkyrie (only WW2 movie where the good guys win).

>no I can't but GSNT does it a crazy amount because, like all holocaust denial, it starts with the assertion that the holocaust never happened and then seeks obscure anecdotal evidence to support this assertion
Actually, the scientific method is to prove that a claim is true (IE that something happened) and the evidence is analyzed to prove it didn't happen.

The fact is that the holocaust hoaxers provide only the most ridiculous evidence and then ban people from investigating it. When people do investigate it (illegally, at great personal risk), they ALWAYS find it is a hoax.

Over a million Russians and Ukrainians fought for Hitler, over a quarter of his army.

This man treated his Russian-SS cavalry division so well that he was named General of all of Russia.

He also sacrificed his life to die alongside them.

Seriously, fuck you for spreading lies without knowing what you're talking about.

>This man treated his Russian-SS cavalry division so well that he was named General of all of Russia.
(By the Russians, that is.)

what are you like 7? you havent seen downfall or band of brothers? christ

"1941" was pretty good.